Nintendo Switch Lite Page 3

• BigOrkWaaagh 10 Jul 2019 17:58:08 8,838 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    The Hori ones don't have a battery though and can only be used in handheld mode. No rumble either. They also used to have an issue with draining the Switch's battery.
    But for non handheld play you have the pro controller which also has a D-Pad.
  • Load_2.0 10 Jul 2019 18:26:50 29,756 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @Load_2.0 Nintendo have apparently confirmed today that they have no plans on introducing a d-pad to their Joy Con range.
    Ah good to know. Will give the Hori one a try.
  • Kami 10 Jul 2019 18:36:56 2,711 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DangerousDave_87 - they had no plans to announce new hardware and yet here we are.

Seriously, it's such easy money for Nintendo. I'm shocked they're being so stubborn... no wait, shocked isn't the right word... hmm... might have to consult a thesaurus for this one...
  • JoelStinty 10 Jul 2019 18:57:50 8,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can see them Limited Editioning the fuck out of these. Which may be hard to ignore at some point. Hopefully we see some more colours along the way too.

Probably not for me at the moment, but i can see this selling loads. But yeah i'm with others, a d-pad only left joy con next please nintendo.
  • RobAnybody 10 Jul 2019 19:10:00 1,760 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    How is it even still a 'Switch'? It's lost literally all of the functionality that justifies its name.
    Going on that alone, it's now a Switchless Switch. Or a Nintendo NonSwitch. It's easy to understand why they did this, but I still don't like losing the dock feature on this Lite version.

Edited by RobAnybody at 20:45:47 10-07-2019
  • The_Goon 10 Jul 2019 19:35:02 1,349 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On pre-order at Game for £200. Hopes of a lower price dashed. Not sure I see that as a value proposition until some bundles come along. It's not infrequent that you can get a full fat Switch for about £260 with a game which equates to minimal difference with this.
  • Flying_Pig 10 Jul 2019 19:44:54 16,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The smaller screen, lack of rumble and price have put me off getting this. It'd be nice to leave the Switch at home occasionally for my kids to play with, but rather than get a Lite I could just grab a second Switch or just use my Vita for a bit.

I'd probably bite on a Switch Pro though :)
  • Lotos8ter 10 Jul 2019 19:48:01 2,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @The_Goon yeah £179 would be a better price point for me but could always import.

I may get one. Donít want the full console to tie up the main telly with more wires & dock. Ideal for some Diablo or Dark Souls whilst the Mrs watches fucking Murder she wrote.
  • mangojoe 10 Jul 2019 20:30:51 2,344 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So if I was to get this for my son could he also have a switch profile on the lite and the same on my normal switch for him to play on the tv?

Also can you share games at all digitally ?
  • macmurphy 10 Jul 2019 20:57:28 3,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They said on Nintendo Life that there will be a way to continue game saves on same account between two consoles. Go see there for details.

But Iíll plat piss if they let you share the actual games digitally. Itís not very Nintendo, plus to be fair looking at the number of EGers who share an online account, being able to share games would hammer their sales.

So you can swap save files between the two but Iíd expect you to have to swap carts or have two separate digital purchases on each console. Just canít see Nintendo taking the leap.
  • macmurphy 10 Jul 2019 20:59:23 3,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also that feature does not seem to be guaranteed at launch. Which does seem very Nintendo.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/youll_be_able_to_transfer_save_files_between_switch_and_switch_lite_eventually
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Jul 2019 21:10:49 6,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mangojoe If you have the same account on two Switches, both consoles will have access to the library of games associated with that account. You can't, however, play any games associated with that account if somebody else is using that account to play games on another Switch.

That is to say if I log into my partner's Switch, she has access to all my digital games. If she's playing one of those games and I try to play it, it'll close the game down on her end.
  • mangojoe 10 Jul 2019 21:17:22 2,344 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah ok cheers chaps . What about stuff like mario kart local 2 player? 2 game purchases needed I assume ?
  • THFourteen 10 Jul 2019 21:30:40 52,795 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    The smaller screen, lack of rumble and price have put me off getting this. It'd be nice to leave the Switch at home occasionally for my kids to play with, but rather than get a Lite I could just grab a second Switch or just use my Vita for a bit.

I'd probably bite on a Switch Pro though :)
    If theyíre not dropping the rrp of the normal one, I dread to think what a pro would cost.
  • northernlights 11 Jul 2019 07:26:36 1,035 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    On pre-order at Game for £200. Hopes of a lower price dashed. Not sure I see that as a value proposition until some bundles come along. It's not infrequent that you can get a full fat Switch for about £260 with a game which equates to minimal difference with this.
    I kinda expected this and this means Iím out. As you stated the full version with a game worth £45/£50 can be found for very little more. Should of been £179. Hopefully thatís just Game guessing the price.
  • JoelStinty 11 Jul 2019 07:42:58 8,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    As with most consoles they will go for around £179 (if they are priced 200) on most sites pretty quickly after they release. Most online retailers seem to drop prices by twenty or so
  • THFourteen 11 Jul 2019 07:57:10 52,795 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You can also sell the dock reasonably easily for 40.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jul 2019 08:29:42 27,344 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    How is it even still a 'Switch'? It's lost literally all of the functionality that justifies its name.
    Yep, exactly.
  • monkman76 11 Jul 2019 08:40:22 14,904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's just a name at this point though isn't it. It would be pretty daft if Nintendo really wanted to release a handheld version of their current console, which plays all the same games, but couldn't because of its name.

There wasn't anything particularly "360-y" about the Xbox 360. I mean you could rotate it through 360 degrees, but that possibility wasn't exclusive to that console.
  • Steifybobbins 11 Jul 2019 08:45:47 566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They have to keep the name so consumers understand it plays switch games. I dont think there is a perfect solution to the name issue despite the obvious lack of Switching involved. I bet it sells, not to me though it's essentially the same price as it's big brother if you add in the cost of what is missing
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jul 2019 08:56:31 21,215 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe they can say the name was in reference to the power switch.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jul 2019 09:00:48 6,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mangojoe Yeah, if you're trying to play local multiplayer with multiple consoles, you also need multiple copies of the game.
  • macmurphy 11 Jul 2019 09:26:10 3,941 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

They had a deal yesterday with mariomaker 2 and 30 quid eshop credit for 300. Not sure if game was download but if not and you could sell it for 30 then youíre basically paying 240 for a switch.

I know some people say they usually play handheld but for the extra cash I have no idea why you would lose all that functionality. Local two player out of the box, a bigger screen, a chance to replace broken sticks. Nintendo are normally pretty good on hardware, and to my mind the DS and gameboy range were very reliable. But there have been a few snags with Switch and it would be a worry.

The increased portability to me is a non-starter. Itís not like a DS lite where you can suddenly fit it in a jacket pocket. Same with increased battery life. The vanilla Switch is fine for short journeys, plugs are everywhere now in the smartphone generation, a big battery pack is an option.

But the biggest loss is the ability to play on a TV. Itís a joy playing local with friends. Are you really going to sit round and play four player Mariokart in that small screen? Iíve done it on the Switch, and it was pretty good fun if you can raise the screen up with a decent stand, but itís hardly the comfort of the living room. Games like Mario Party would be impossible without extra expenditure then the atmosphere would be crippled. See also Labo.

I also think that some games arenít great on a small screen. Anything busy like Rocket league is a struggle for me. Some games were just designed as living room experiences, unlike the DS generation where most were designed with a handheld in mind. This effect is only exacerbated by a smaller screen.

I honestly couldnít recommend the Switch Lite for any reason. Even if I wanted a second console Iíd still go for the vanilla one.

Itís a Switch. It Switches. Thatís what makes it glorious for me. If youíre going to take away all that functionality then I think it needs to be about the 150 price point. Which Iím sure is impossible. Theyíve basically shaved off 50% of the functionality for a 30% reduction in price.

Iíll still bet it sells like a bastard though.

Edited by macmurphy at 09:33:25 11-07-2019

Edited by macmurphy at 09:36:25 11-07-2019
  • monkman76 11 Jul 2019 09:31:04 14,904 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Switch Lite has you covered if you want an actual vanilla one.
  • schoozzzmmii 11 Jul 2019 09:45:12 62 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of my worries is that this starts to affect the actual games put out. Mario kart 7 doesn't have splitscreen play for example. If the entirely handheld version takes off massively, which I can see it doing (at least in Japan) then games may be designed for handheld mode over and above tv out. Also I wonder whether the sort of ports from the likes of Bethesda will continue if the console starts to be treated as more of a handheld rather than a home console also.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jul 2019 10:00:05 27,344 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macmurphy wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

They had a deal yesterday with mariomaker 2 and 30 quid eshop credit for 300. Not sure if game was download but if not and you could sell it for 30 then youíre basically paying 240 for a switch.

I know some people say they usually play handheld but for the extra cash I have no idea why you would lose all that functionality. Local two player out of the box, a bigger screen, a chance to replace broken sticks. Nintendo are normally pretty good on hardware, and to my mind the DS and gameboy range weíre very reliable. But there have been a few snags with Switch and it would be a worry.

The increased portability to me is a non-starter. Itís not like a DS lite where you can suddenly fit it in a jacket pocket. Same with increased battery life. The vanilla Switch is fine for short journeys, plugs are everywhere now in the smartphone generation, a big battery pack is an option.

But the biggest loss is the ability to play on a TV. Itís a joy playing local with friends. Are you really going to sit round and play four player Mariokart in that small screen? Iíve done it on the Switch, and it was pretty good fun if you can raise the screen up with a decent stand, but itís hardly the comfort of the living room. Games like Mario Party would be impossible without extra expenditure then the atmosphere would be crippled. See also Labo.

I also think that some games arenít great on a small screen. Anything busy like Rocket league is a struggle for me. Some games were just designed as living room experiences, unlike the DS generation where most were designed with a handheld in mind. This effect is only exacerbated by a smaller screen.

I honestly couldnít recommend the Switch Lite for any reason. Even if I wanted a second console Iíd still go for the vanilla one.

Itís a Switch. It Switches. Thatís what makes it glorious for me. If youíre going to take away all that functionality then I think it needs to be about the 150 price point. Which Iím sure is impossible. Theyíve basically shaved off 50% of the functionality for a 30% reduction in price.

Iíll still bet it sells like a bastard though.
    Indeed.
    Where's my fucking powerhouse docked Switch Pro, motherfuckers.
  • DangerousDave_87 11 Jul 2019 18:47:20 6,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm all good with a revised base model that improves battery and cooling, but if they flat out do a Sony and release a full 'Pro' model I'm going to spit my dummy out.

I know the argument for 'Pro' consoles is that those that can afford it can get a better experience, but really that's at the detriment of those who can't afford the upgrade. They are the ones left with 3rd parties pushing out games that are aimed at the fancier hardware and then downgraded, rather than the other way around.

I have some hope as 'New' exclusives on the 3DS didn't sell all that well and Nintendo stopped making them.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 11 Jul 2019 19:55:34 8,838 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    I know the argument for 'Pro' consoles is that those that can afford it can get a better experience, but really that's at the detriment of those who can't afford the upgrade. They are the ones left with 3rd parties pushing out games that are aimed at the fancier hardware and then downgraded, rather than the other way around.
    I don't think that has happened with the PS4 and Xbox One. Sure the mid-gen machines make things look prettier but the OG consoles still do the job they were intended for on launch. The One is starting to show its age but it was a bag of bolts when it was new.
  • elstoof 11 Jul 2019 20:33:36 23,913 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah the old Switch Switcheroo
  • ontoff 19 Jul 2019 00:20:41 71 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not small enough, not cheap enough, not enough battery life and not fanless. No interest here.

I'm guessing Nintendo is making far more profit on the Lite than the regular Switch. Plus there will probably be less support costs for them, assuming the confusion level isn't high.

The revised Regular Switch sounds far more enticing https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-17-new-nintendo-switch-version-will-have-longer-battery-life

Major battery life improvements.

...assuming I really wanted to spend low-end Ryzen PC money for a portable gaming device. I couldn't care less about being exposed to damaging 2.4GHz in front of the TV for hours using the joycons. The revised (regular) Switch has significantly more battery life than both the original and the Lite. To me that sounds far, far more enticing when used portably. It's still not ideal given the size and weight. Vita got so many things right but pricing wrong (ie. advanced hardware in the right size/performance balance but so unfortunately subsidised by extortionate PSVITA memory).

The big question is whether Nintendo have fixed the stick drift issues https://www.kotaku.com.au/2019/07/nintendo-switch-joy-con-drift-is-becoming-a-real-problem/ in both newer models. It's not worth anything until they have.

Edited by ontoff at 00:27:44 19-07-2019

Edited by ontoff at 00:28:16 19-07-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.