Remnant: From The Ashes (Soulsborne 3P co-op shooter)

First Previous
  • Derblington 28 Jul 2019 14:53:07 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not seen any discussion about this one but it's interesting. From Gunfire games (Darksiders 3) and published by Perfect World.
    It's focused on dungeons and bosses, and it's completely random generated (with a ruleset). They're saying that no games will be the same, which will make reviewing really difficult.

Video that explains it here, and there's a bit more coverage/dev playthroughs looking at the 3 classes if you search YT:

Hits PC and the big boy consoles on August 20th. Gut feeling is that it'll end up a bit crap but I like the concept.
  • DarkBytes 18 Aug 2019 08:41:48 31 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have beem playing this since friday , the game is a triumph !
    Great gaming mechanic, deep law, co-op or single play, randomisation done right, lots of secrets , masses of replayability. PC and console title, decent price .

Where is the EG review ? Or any sort of nod to the game ? , would rather read about this then some fortnight or DJ voice over tat.
    Highly recommended

Edited by DarkBytes at 08:43:37 18-08-2019

Edited by DarkBytes at 08:46:51 18-08-2019
  • Frogofdoom 18 Aug 2019 08:59:43 13,948 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's under embargo at the moment so the reviews aren't out.
  • sport 18 Aug 2019 09:57:50 15,182 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deep law you say?
  • Theshape80 18 Aug 2019 10:00:22 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A few have said itís quite souls like in its difficulty, is that true? Quite like the look of it.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Aug 2019 10:13:11 32,338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I picked this up on a bit of a whim and have mixed feelings.

The general combat is pretty good fun and the way some secrets are hidden is pretty cool.

However, it is very brown and the boss design is awful, relying on endless adds causing most issues rather than actually making interesting encounters. The level scaling is also a bit shit.

Bit bored by it already tbh.
  • Theshape80 19 Aug 2019 08:25:59 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Had about 3 hours on this so far. I can see the similarities with the souls games, especially the health system. Still on the first area and havenít really struggled until I met the first boss. Took me about 7 attempts with 5 of them as a group of 3. As I understand it, my campaign is set in stone unless you choose to reroll. But doing that send me back to the start. However joined one randoms game and the start was very different. Even had a boss I didnít have that melted us!

Update
    Well and truly hit a brick wall now on a boss. Wish when you join random peoples games you could browse based on what world they are in.

Edited by Theshape80 at 19:00:51 19-08-2019
  • Blackmarsh63 20 Aug 2019 18:55:14 2,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this download only ? Looks quite decent from what I've seen.
  • Frogofdoom 20 Aug 2019 19:20:16 13,948 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks good but buggy as fuck, I think I will wait until its patched a bit.
  • Derblington 20 Aug 2019 19:27:17 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Digital only atm, yeah.
  • DarkBytes 20 Aug 2019 21:13:39 31 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Theshape80
    It is , can be very intense .
  • jimmac 21 Aug 2019 14:27:05 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Quite enjoying this so far. Hate those little Frumps in the sewer though.

Combat is basic and doesn't seem to have a parry or combo system e.g. rolling then attacking or running and attacking doesn't change the moveset like in Souls. Although this may change since I've only put in a couple of hours. It does feel good though, the shotgun has a good blast and the basic hammer I'm using staggers and smashes things convincingly.

Graphics are a bit basic and brown but I'm still in the first area. Haven't tried any coop yet so can't comment on that.

Somehow reminds me of Strange Brigade even though it's nothing like it really.
  • DarkBytes 21 Aug 2019 15:51:38 31 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Still wondering why no review, think its worthy.
  • robthehermit 21 Aug 2019 17:08:19 7,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watching Cohh play this on youtube. Looks great and is fun to watch, but based on the first couple of hours it's a hard nope from me. Life's too short for games that hard and I suck at souls style stuff.
  • Theshape80 21 Aug 2019 17:30:09 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @jimmac there are different rolls and dodges, thrusts with melee etc. Have no clue how to do it all mind.
  • Derblington 21 Aug 2019 17:31:20 31,892 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a big difference in difficulty here in that you never lose XP. You die, restart the area and need to retread the same ground (though enemy spawns are changed) but you do continually gain power which should make it far more forgiving in the long run.
  • Theshape80 21 Aug 2019 17:33:15 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Love this game so far. Played about 10 hours. Watched a lot of this on twitch also. It really is brilliant seeing other peopleís campaign and how different it was in my own. Was really struggling on a dungeon that suffered from the citidel curse. A few randoms joined and god it was a blast. A real struggle but a blast all the same.
  • jimmac 21 Aug 2019 19:20:53 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What sort of gear level did people beat the first boss with?

Those exploding things are really annoying. Spend most of my time just running away then getting stunlcoked and dying.
  • neems 21 Aug 2019 19:57:06 4,675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jimmac

The guy in the sewers with the exploding adds? I kept going backwards and shotgunning the exploding fellas, get it right and you catch the boss in the explosion. Always be ready to roll backwards, and occasionally run like buggery.

I don't rightly know what my gear level was - I think I had my weapons at plus 2 or 3, I found an SMG back in the ward which is pretty handy.
  • Theshape80 21 Aug 2019 20:04:08 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @neems if I ever join a new players game I always make a point where the smg is as itís quite hidden.
  • Theshape80 21 Aug 2019 20:04:09 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Blackmarsh63 21 Aug 2019 20:04:29 2,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DarkBytes Agree. Not like there's loads of releases this week. :(
  • ChiefGB 21 Aug 2019 20:49:03 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One eyebrow is cocked at this but I canít help but feel it will be better when itís around £20 but it maybe too late for them by then. A physical option would be nice as it will likely be cheaper, is it coming?
  • Theshape80 21 Aug 2019 22:07:19 187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iím in the swamp now and the difficulty spike is unreal. Such a large area with no checkpoints as well!
  • MiniSchnauz 22 Aug 2019 00:53:24 149 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Got this today and having an absolutely brilliant time with it.

Had an interesting experience with my first boss (as it seems they are different) and also noticed something about an optional boss later on.

My first boss was Shroud, a crossbow bastard with a horrible AoE when he screamed. But I had a strange experience... I had already met him (and died to him) in the sewers before the boss room. I destroyed some sort of object and up popped the boss health bar and he spawned in and started the fight.

It did not say he was 'hearty' like it did in the boss room fight (and a further boss said the same thing during my encounter with them) and I am wondering if you can spawn them as mini-boss fights as the non-hearty version or if it was just a bug.

It's definitely worth the thirty notes and unfortunately I think the Soulsborne comparison will put a lot of people off when the game (whilst still hard) is still a lot more forgiving than anything From make. Bizarrely, if it reminds me of anything, it's Alpha Protocol.

There's no material/experience loss at death, no durability to worry about, you can just keep on working away at it and having fun.

I took the coach gun (+5 satisfying boom) archetype but was lucky enough to find a sniper rifle just after my second boss. Good job too because it went from being all up close and personal in the sewers to gunfights in an abandoned overworld city.

Stunning game. Hope it gets the recognition it deserves.
  • jimmac 22 Aug 2019 09:28:20 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @neems Yeah, that's the one. I now know he's called Gorefist. Still can't beat him and that's after finding the SMG (didn't really help). I also watched a Youtube vid which helped a little bit (although even he nearly died twice and then did actually die as he killed Gorefist).

I've completed all the Soulsborne games multiple times, at least every time you died against a boss there you felt like you learned something.
  • jimmac 22 Aug 2019 13:47:34 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got him.

Some tips :

Don't run off 2 foot high ledges. Inexplicably, your character thinks this is a huge deal and lets out a big grunt and needs a rest for a second before she can run again. Fatal.

Watch out for when he summons the explodey things. Get as far away from him as soon as possible. You never want to be fighting him and dodging them at the same time.

When he attacks roll towards him. When you turn around you are in perfect shotgun range. Right. In. The. Face.

I used the big open area just through the steps for 90% of the fight, occasionally running upstairs if I needed to get away from ETs or needed to heal. There's more space for dodging and moving.

Onwards and upwards.
  • neems 22 Aug 2019 14:05:10 4,675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jimmac

Nice, I was just about to post my tips which were basically the exact opposite of how you did it :)
  • jimmac 22 Aug 2019 15:02:26 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    neems wrote:
    @jimmac

Nice, I was just about to post my tips which were basically the exact opposite of how you did it :)
    Post your tips. Be interesting to hear how others tackled him.
  • neems 22 Aug 2019 17:09:36 4,675 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @jimmac

Not an awful lot to add to what I posted before tbh.

If you're careful / lucky when you enter the area, you can sneak upstairs without aggroing him, then pick your moment to engage. I found if you went straight after him you could get penned in by exploding fuckers.

Once the fight started I kept going in circles on the walkways on the first floor, mostly backing up to keep shooting. Try to shoot the explodey fellas when they run past the boss; in an emergency let them reach you and then roll backwards out of the explosion. If he charges then let him get right up close and then roll back and keep shooting.

I had very little ammo or health left by the time I got him (on my third try I think) but I think it is mostly about not making silly mistakes.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.