Remnant: From The Ashes (Soulsborne 3P co-op shooter) Page 8

• dsmx 30 Aug 2019 17:25:18 8,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Frogofdoom They do, but it seems so pointless when they could just let you carry more ammo and free up an equipment slot.
  • Ghibli 31 Aug 2019 00:24:20 259 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wuntyphyve they certainly seem to be keen to support the game and listen to their fan base.

It just consistently keeps throwing little surprises at me and delighting me in the process. Radioactive skulls being my latest wtf moment. I donít think Iíd ever argue that itís AAA quality, but itís bloody gem of a AA game and it knows it, too.

Just seems to know what to do to keep a Souls fan interested yet constantly guessing. Something I felt the likes of LoTF and The Surge (1) didnít quite manage. Itís an interesting time to be a Souls fan right now. =)
  • spindle9988 31 Aug 2019 16:10:16 4,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thinking about picking this up. Does it run OK on the vanilla one?
  • dsmx 31 Aug 2019 17:31:59 8,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've just fought a big hammer character in the swamps just now and.....I'm not feeling it to be honest.

There's not one thing I could single out as if they were to fix it I'd enjoy it a lot more, but also there's nothing to me that stands out as making this is a lot of fun and makes playing the game a worthwhile experience for me.

It's not helped by a story that isn't interesting despite a good concept and a drab world design that to me just feels dull and lacks atmosphere. Even in the first Borderlands despite all the brown it felt a more interesting world to look at than this.

I couldn't call it a bad game though, but I also struggle to call it a good game either. It's a good concept I just wish they'd been able to spend a bit more money on it polishing it up.

I'm not sure if I'm going to carry on from here, I'm not enjoying the gunplay that much and the enemies and bosses at this point are just irritating, not challenging to beat.

Edited by dsmx at 17:37:37 31-08-2019
  • wuntyphyve 31 Aug 2019 18:59:56 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ugh, got to kill the undying king now because I gave the heart to the elf queen. He looks tricky.
  • mothercruncher 31 Aug 2019 22:24:45 16,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bit early for me to say what I think yet but completely agree about the meh story and drab environments.
  • wuntyphyve 31 Aug 2019 22:31:37 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yup. Itís meh and drab. Shonky and rough round the edges.

Yet for some reason I canít bloody stop playing it. Just killed undying king (with help from my floating skull buddies) after an hour and got that total souls boss rush after doing it. For its many faults, Iím really liking it still.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 22:33:41 31-08-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 31 Aug 2019 22:58:07 149 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    After completing this and being very impressed (though I stopped my NG+ run right at the boss dsmx is talking about after I fought him in my first run too), I went back and replayed the original DS2 - not SotFS because I wanted to see how it compared to the roughest-around-the-edges of the Soulsbornes.

It's not even close.

I still love Remnant. I think, at times, they did some great work but (gripes about DS2 aside) it's nowhere near as engaging or compelling.
  • wuntyphyve 31 Aug 2019 23:05:55 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The only thing souls about this imo is some of the boss fights. The rest reminds me more of the division or something. Iím not even sure bar the bonfire-alike crystal and the odd boss fight why this is even spoken of along with souls. Division bosses had tons of adds and a big health pool and mainly thatís what boss fights in this are. Plus, the perks function like division skills. I think getting this expecting to like it because souls would be a big mistake. Besides, vanilla ds2 shits all over this.

Again though, I think this is a very good game but itís second tier good.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 23:06:44 31-08-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 31 Aug 2019 23:15:57 149 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Even the devs have called it a Soulslike, and I agree with you on every single point. I really do. It wears the clothes (bonfires, flasks etc) but it's much more a third-person shooter with RPG-lite mechanics than anything else.

It's still a great (AA) game and deserves all the love it gets.

Right, do I play Astral Chain or hit SotFS now?
  • dsmx 31 Aug 2019 23:28:26 8,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can see why people would like this game but even as a AA experience....I still feel it comes up somewhat short.

But, this isn't a bad game it's just one that I think needed 3-6 months work to get the core gameplay mechanics right along with tweaks to the ads and boss mechanics.

I'll come back to it next year sometime I think but as of right now, no more for me.

Edited by dsmx at 23:29:14 31-08-2019
  • wuntyphyve 1 Sep 2019 09:38:50 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MiniSchnauz they quite possibly do but personally I donít think theyíre right to do so as in my opinion it isnít and I think itís mis-labelling it.

Play SotFS :p
  • ChiefGB 1 Sep 2019 10:27:51 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve yes but the division bosses werenít creative at all just tougher bigger guys. From the very little Iíve seen of this the bosses look much more imaginative and distinct from the rest of the game no?
  • wuntyphyve 1 Sep 2019 11:38:24 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ChiefGB the design of the bosses is different from those in the division, yes. I wasnít saying they looked the same. But mechanically they share as much similarities with those boss encounters that they do with souls. My point was how the game was being labelled when I consider it leans just as much, if not moreso, towards games other than souls-likes.
  • Addy__ 1 Sep 2019 11:51:31 1,432 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah definitely. It's more division or gears over souls. Still not quite sure why it's been labelled soulsborne when those games were predominantly melee with some ranged weaponry. This is the total flip of that.
  • Frogofdoom 1 Sep 2019 11:54:33 13,948 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would disagree there as they are both cover shooters. The bosses here are more like mmo bosses from something like guild wars 2 (obviously without hot keys)
  • wuntyphyve 1 Sep 2019 12:09:20 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair Iím only using the division as an example. Iím not in anyway stating that ďitís like this game in every wayĒ, as itís not, but shares more in common with the likes of that than souls.

None of this matters of course. The game is fine and itís good fun, but my original statement was in my opinion labelling it as a souls like is mis-labelling it. But they made it. They can say what they like. It can be a spiritual successor to Fez for all I care.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 12:09:59 01-09-2019
  • Zippity-zap 1 Sep 2019 12:12:10 427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remnant: From the Ashes (Welcome to Chef College)
  • Addy__ 1 Sep 2019 12:18:15 1,432 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I'd probably like it more if I could of got past the first boss.

#shithouse
  • wuntyphyve 1 Sep 2019 12:21:20 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__ I googled that boss, he does look a cunt.
  • Addy__ 1 Sep 2019 13:55:02 1,432 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @wuntyphyve

Once I'm done with Astral Chain and Control I'll give it another crack. Can always re-roll the world I guess but really can't be arsed with that.
  • wuntyphyve 1 Sep 2019 15:16:11 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If youve bounced off him I reckon youíll bounce off some of the others too. The bosses... well. Some arenít the best.
  • Addy__ 1 Sep 2019 15:19:45 1,432 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Bosses don't normally bother me. Sure I hit a wall on some, most recent example being sekiro but I normally can beat them. Just seem to have lost all enthusiasm to crack on and conquer.
  • MiniSchnauz 1 Sep 2019 16:08:02 149 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    There's two bosses I'm thinking of, entirely optional as parts of a side dungeon, and although I got them down fairly quickly they really were just vague copy pastes. Overwhelm with minions (for ammo, no doubt) and then have a brief window to do consistent damage.

I realise you could say that for quite a few bosses and I have to admit I was very pleased to find one boss later on that definitely felt a lot more Soulslike in the encounter because it was such a relief not to have to deal with being blindsided.
  • jimmac 1 Sep 2019 19:44:44 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think I struggled with the first boss because I couldn't get my Dodge and roll timing right and tried to fight boss and adds at same time. The second didn't take as many goes and the third and fourth were pretty easy.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Sep 2019 08:38:16 13,948 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The first one (if you get the wrong one) is the worst I have come across. Even the undying king was easier.

The double boss can be a pain in co-op but is pretty easy solo.
  • tonyferrino 2 Sep 2019 10:00:38 319 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I actually re-rolled the world so that I could avoid the Shroud boss. I think I had about 20 goes and died before I got his second health bar section down each time. I just couldn't get the timing right. I got Gorefist in about 3 tries.

Slightly disappointed because I wanted Rattle Weed rather than Mantle of Thorns, but at least I'm actually progressing in the game now!
  • Addy__ 2 Sep 2019 10:03:30 1,432 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Honestly the shroud boss I encountered felt like end game boss material. I was dying in no time. It was more the random explosions dotted about constantly that fucked me.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Sep 2019 10:03:32 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This crossbow is immense. Paired with this set I also got from the queen it deals devastating damage. Quite liking the hive gun as my pistol weapon, so long as I don't fire it when twats get too close. Reckon I don't have too long to go as I must be a good halfway through Yeshka.
  • wuntyphyve 2 Sep 2019 10:04:37 12,668 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__ I actually joined a random co-op game a couple nights back and three of us were up against Shroud. It was carnage. I couldn't stay alive for more than a few seconds.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.