whats up with my network? Page 3

Next Last
  • Nitrous 13 Apr 2020 15:46:18 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well after after what felt like a few hours its going again.
    Ive turned off energy efficient Ethernet as suggested and it did it again not long after. PS4 and Xbox don't seem to have the same issue. I'll play Days Gone tonight for a few hours and look at the switch every so often. 10mb speed for now until I can sort it.

Edited by Nitrous at 15:46:43 13-04-2020
  • Fake_Blood 13 Apr 2020 16:21:30 10,456 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Itís probably the switch, or rather itís power adapter that is on the way out. New switch is pretty cheap though.
  • Nitrous 13 Apr 2020 17:52:06 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Failing capacitors then I guess.
    Its had a good run, the cat6 that was plugged into the switch is now connected to the PC and has been for the last hour or so.
  • Nitrous 27 Apr 2020 18:01:51 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Update, seems the disconnect/speed issue was caused by electrical interference coming from the thin power cable to the switch. It ran tightly alongside the ethernet cables so separated it and its been running fine since.

Ordered cat6 cables and a new switch anyway. Should be shielded better than the existing stuff.

Spoke to soon. Dropped out again...

Edited by Nitrous at 18:02:49 27-04-2020
  • rare_uk 27 Apr 2020 19:49:49 3,626 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you're with Virginmedia - they have a problem atm
  • Nitrous 27 Apr 2020 21:34:32 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah an intermittent problem by the looks of it and my issue seems to have gone again. The old switch and cables are probably to blame. New kit coming soon.
  • Jono62 27 Apr 2020 21:47:09 25,385 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah annoyingly going off and on now rather than when I was working.
  • Carlo 27 Apr 2020 21:57:21 21,328 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rare_uk wrote:
    It's been shit fro a week, but today, two massive outages for me.
  • PierrePressure 28 Apr 2020 11:25:59 1,113 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I have been having an issue with my wired connection over the last week. It has been running fine over the PS4 but all of a sudden it stopped connecting.

Testing the connection resulted in it failing to obtain the IP address so I manually updated the settings which fixed that part, but testing again failed to connect to the internet.
    I then tested the Xbox and the TV and they all fail to connect to the internet.

I use an ethernet switch with a powerline so I connected my laptop directly to the router and it connects without issue, any chance the problem could be something other than the switch or powerline?
  • nickthegun 28 Apr 2020 11:37:37 82,376 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is the powerline in the wall by itself or plugged into an extension with other things? If itís the latter, try the former. They really donít like sharing.

If itís the former, try it in another plug socket.
  • Nexus_6 28 Apr 2020 11:52:44 5,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    rare_uk wrote:
    It's been shit fro a week, but today, two massive outages for me.
    Rolling outages yesterday from about 1700hrs until at least midnight, when I went to bed. Unable to watch TV because of it and the phone ran out of battery. Bummer.

What amused me most was the twitter rage directed at VM. Those asking for a 'refund' on their bills? Fuck me. I am no particular fan of VM but they have maintained service for me for about 8 years now with probably 3 breaks in service I can remember. One was more than a day right enough. But rebates? One dozy bint was spewing forth that she couldn't finish her uni work for today - at midnight! She was getting told where to go right enough...
  • PierrePressure 28 Apr 2020 11:54:50 1,113 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I thought that, but it is directly plugged into the wall.

I've just pulled everything apart and plugged it back in and it is now working FFS.

I moved the PS4 the other day and I must have pulled on the switch fuck knows, the state of the wire situation behind my tv and unit is shocking.
  • DJCopa 28 Apr 2020 11:57:35 2,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nexus_6 Kids on Fortnite probably having a fit :)

Some people just love a moan - I agree with you, their service (for me) has been great (on the internet) - It's their creeping charges for everything else that do my head in!
  • nickthegun 28 Apr 2020 11:58:30 82,376 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Always the way. Oh, and I just remembered; I had some netgear ones that worked fine for a good long while but one started dropping out and needing a power cycle to get it to connect again. I think it kept overheating.

Sounds stupid, but if it drops again, turn it off and on. If that fixes it, buy some new ones.
  • Nexus_6 28 Apr 2020 12:08:52 5,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DJCopa Agreed on the creeping charges. I dont even have a landline but pay £50 a month when I started on about 17.99....
  • DJCopa 28 Apr 2020 12:13:07 2,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nexus_6 Yeah, and when they upgrade your package for 'free' and then come renewal list all these freebies as things you should now be paying.

Anyway, the Internet is good at the mo, and no renewal for a bit so will enjoy this whilst it lasts :)
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.