Following Parents Of Kid Gamers ( Facebook Group ) Intorduction

First Previous
  • carawestermann 7 Aug 2019 17:14:35 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Hello guys ( I am targeting parents only with kids under the age of 13☺️ ) I have created a group for parents of kids who game as a safe space for kids to find friends, for you to share their channels, help each other out with gaming related topics etc . I have not come across a group like this for general gaming for kids so I wanted to start to one. If you have kids and are considering joining you are more than welcome. There are strict rules in place and certain keyword tags are in place. So I will be monitoring it and later on add some moderators to help me. Also your opinions and advice would be appreciated☺️ Please let me know what you think. Thanks. Hope to see you🤗https://www.facebook.com/groups/ParentsOfKidGamers
  • Graxlar_v3 7 Aug 2019 17:19:23 7,311 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No i will not give you naked pictures of my son!!!
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Aug 2019 18:18:17 8,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wait this guy wants naked pictures of kids wtfffff!
  • G-Rock10 7 Aug 2019 18:56:42 173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My twins will start playing once Shadow Gangs is out. I'll send you a message then.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Aug 2019 19:06:02 12,429 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What I do with my goats is my own business. Good DAY to you sir.
  • carawestermann 7 Aug 2019 19:59:33 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Funny Funny :D
  • GuybrushFreepwood 7 Aug 2019 20:02:14 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Oh this will end well... I'm keeping my kids way out of this thread.
  • Addy__ 7 Aug 2019 20:14:04 1,127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Are bonobo's allowed?
  • carawestermann 7 Aug 2019 21:55:02 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @Addy__ I don't know what that means but I am going to say no just because :)
  • carawestermann 7 Aug 2019 21:59:59 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Trolling is funny I understand but my post is serious :) My name is literally in my profile so I guess you can search me on facebook. Oops haha I do hope you consider joining though if you have kids or sharing to people who do. I am really trying to organize and maintain my group and grow it well.......well trolling incoming again I suppose :D
  • Zippity-zap 7 Aug 2019 23:19:39 406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is no safe space on the internet, sadly.
  • ZuluHero 8 Aug 2019 00:00:39 7,495 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Before I pass judgement, I really hope that you have kids yourself...

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:00:52 08-08-2019
  • carawestermann 8 Aug 2019 02:43:03 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @ZuluHero If you are asking me, I have 3.
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 Aug 2019 04:51:55 3,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My daughter is an adult now. But one thing I always say to parents with young kids are as follows:

1. Donít buy your kids any old crap. Read some reviews. A lot of games aimed at children, when my daughter was a young in, were unchallenging and didnít engage her. Licensed games used to be notorious for this sort of thing.

2. Do not let your Bairns play games just because you know that other parents let their kids play that game, especially if it isnít age appropriate. A friend worked with a mother who sought his advice on whether one of the early GTA games would be suitable for her ten year old as his friends were playing. Good on her for checking with an adult whom she knew liked games. His response of ,ĒAs long as you arenít worried about maybe having to explain to your kid what a purple dildo is and what it is for then it will be fine.Ē He didnít get the game and his Mam knew to check first when he asked for other games.

3. There are parental sites that gather together parents reviews of the suitability of games for children. They discuss all age ranges of games and by gathering hundreds, if not thousands, of opinions give a quite balanced view. After all not all children mature at the same rate so what is suitable for on child may not be suitable for others. Not just in terms of the content but the challenge and entertainment value. I have several friends that use these sites.

I do not know these sites but I would Google them and provide links on your FB page as a handy help to your groups members.

4. If a child expresses an interest in games gets SNES and a copy of the Lion King video game. Let them play that then move them onto Street Fighter 2. Those simple to play but difficult to master games will tell you if it is worth paying the prices for a modern console and games.

I hope this helps and if you have already considered all this I apologise for wasting your time.

Good luck with your endeavours (to get pictures of naked children).
  • ZuluHero 8 Aug 2019 08:46:00 7,495 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't agree with that last point. Games are far more accessible these day and you don't have to give them a baptism of fire to see if they are worthy.

Also I wouldn't have let my daughter play Street Fighter 2 when she was younger and getting into gaming.
  • cowell 8 Aug 2019 08:49:40 1,946 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As well intentioned this might be, creating a group where someone could find a bunch of kids gaming profiles in one spot seems a little.... misguided
  • lordofthedunce 8 Aug 2019 08:52:40 576 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems more like a parent trying to push their kid's YT channel.
  • Alastair 8 Aug 2019 09:05:28 23,699 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @carawestermann
    Tell me about the benefits of home schooling?

Always seems to me like it's parents trying to hide their children away from something..
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 Aug 2019 09:22:26 3,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Don't agree with that last point. Games are far more accessible these day and you don't have to give them a baptism of fire to see if they are worthy.

Also I wouldn't have let my daughter play Street Fighter 2 when she was younger and getting into gaming.

I only meant in terms of outlay. You can pick up a SNES and those games for under a ton. If the kids stick with them then you can guess they will stick with gaming as a hobby.

Buying a PS4 or an XB1 with a few games is a considerable more expensive outlay.

And fair point on Street Fighter 2 if you think that it is inappropriate then it validates my point about getting information from more than one source. We all will disagree on what is a good game, genre and add to that you arenít looking for yourself here. The OP wants a site to advise parents on what is a correct game for individual children.

Personally I thought SF2 on the SNES was comparable with cartoon violence but it took commitment to get good at.
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 Aug 2019 09:22:26 3,129 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:

I only meant in terms of outlay. You can pick up a SNES and those games for under a ton. If the kids stick with them then you can guess they will stick with gaming as a hobby.

Buying a PS4 or an XB1 with a few games is a considerable more expensive outlay.

And fair point on Street Fighter 2 if you think that it is inappropriate then it validates my point about getting information from more than one source. We all will disagree on what is a good game, genre and add to that you arenít looking for yourself here. The OP wants a site to advise parents on what is a correct game for individual children.

Personally I thought SF2 on the SNES was comparable with cartoon violence but it took commitment to get good at.
  • DaM 8 Aug 2019 09:28:41 17,348 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    Seems more like a parent trying to push their kid's YT channel.
    I was at a games thing with my boys, and these mums were handing out leaflets and business cards with their kids' Minecraft channels on them. I thought they must be someone well known, but my boys just laughed and sneared. So cringy.

However, the idea of using your children gaming to generate money intrigued me. It was shortly after this that I locked them in their rooms, tied them to chairs and forced them to play Fortnight 22 hours a day (2 hours for protein/vitamin infusion, sleep).

Now with a Silver medal and several million quid from the Fortnight World Cup, who's laughing now?!!!
  • ZuluHero 8 Aug 2019 09:29:44 7,495 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Alastair

We home school. Our daughter used to be in school with SEN funding that got pulled so she ended up in mainstream classes and because classes were over populated and because teachers aren't trained in special needs she was often put out in a hallway on a desk by herself because they didn't know "how to deal with her".

Well one day, we got a call saying they'd 'lost her' and if we could come in. She'd wandered off and no-one could find her. Turns out she'd gone looking for the SEN teacher that got made redundant a week before.

Well, she didn't stay there long after that.

Now she's 'Home-Schooled' (been about 3-4 years now), her language has improved, English is much better, she doesn't exhibit a lot special needs traits (like grunting and growling at people) and she's a lot more sociable with good circle of friends.

I will add that we hire tutors (for stuff my partner doesn't know) and run classes (STEM, Art & English) in our community hall for a group of home education pupils (about 12 kids) every week. Also we welcome an education worker to track our daughter's progress and make sure she's hitting all the development and educational milestones - so we have nothing to hide.

I will say I was very traditional and dead set against it at the start, but I've seen the benefits first hand.

One thing I will add that I don't like about certain aspects of home-education is how pushy parents are with their kids education. So you have 12-13 year olds sitting and having GSCEs and the parents use it as a badge-of-honour. I guess if you believe in education and getting their grades years before their school-peers then maybe you could also consider that a benefit - but personally I don't approve of that.

Edited by ZuluHero at 09:54:12 08-08-2019
  • lordofthedunce 8 Aug 2019 09:36:06 576 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DaM The benefit of having lots of kids is the multiple revenue streams.

Edited by lordofthedunce at 09:37:18 08-08-2019
  • THFourteen 8 Aug 2019 09:53:45 52,591 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote: So you have 12-13 year olds sitting and having GSCEs and the parents use it as a badge-of-honour. I guess if you believe in education and getting their grades years before their school-peers then maybe you could also consider that a benefit - but personally I don't approve of that.
    That was my parents!
  • neems 8 Aug 2019 10:14:56 4,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ZuluHero

Fair play, respect.
  • Graxlar_v3 8 Aug 2019 10:16:24 7,311 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    @Alastair

We home school. Our daughter used to be in school with SEN funding that got pulled so she ended up in mainstream classes and because classes were over populated and because teachers aren't trained in special needs she was often put out in a hallway on a desk by herself because they didn't know "how to deal with her".

Well one day, we got a call saying they'd 'lost her' and if we could come in. She'd wandered off and no-one could find her. Turns out she'd gone looking for the SEN teacher that got made redundant a week before.

Well, she didn't stay there long after that.

Now she's 'Home-Schooled' (been about 3-4 years now), her language has improved, English is much better, she doesn't exhibit a lot special needs traits (like grunting and growling at people) and she's a lot more sociable with good circle of friends.

I will add that we hire tutors (for stuff my partner doesn't know) and run classes (STEM, Art & English) in our community hall for a group of home education pupils (about 12 kids) every week. Also we welcome an education worker to track our daughter's progress and make sure she's hitting all the development and educational milestones - so we have nothing to hide.

Well, if there was ever a reason to home school, i think you may have it.
  • carawestermann 8 Aug 2019 11:41:44 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I am just going to reply here. The Facebook group only has parent profiles as kids under 13 cannot have a facebook profile. The group is for parents looking for same aged kids to play with their kids on a privaye realms I will create. My daughter is a youtuber because she saw grians videos and wanted to do the same. Yes I am advertising her channel but I also encourage other parents to do the same on the group. I also put her channel so parents and kids can see who she is. I homeschool because firstly its affordable for us and I enjoy having them around plus they are doing well and are social too.I really meant for my original post to be a encouragement for parents to monitor their young kids playing online and to feel comfortable about it. I understand some of you are going to troll. Thats life on the internet but it does not bother me. Thank you for your insights and advice. :)
  • Alastair 8 Aug 2019 12:56:00 23,699 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @ZuluHero
    I hadn't thought of a situation like that.
    I'm glad things are working out for you.

What I was implying was parents wanting to keep their kids away from things like the teaching of evolution, LGBT rights, sex education, that sort of thing. Stuff that's on the curriculum that they don't agree with.
  • carawestermann 8 Aug 2019 12:59:49 7 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @Alastair Oh yes I understand. There are quite a few of those. They have curriculums that avoid those topics yes.
  • ZuluHero 8 Aug 2019 14:12:55 7,495 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Alastair I guess there are a myriad reasons why people do it.

Turns out you were bang on with your initial observation though - I would have never picked up on that from reading the OP!
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.