PS4 Slim Smoothness Problem

• Zombi101 14 Aug 2019 15:13:36 3 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Hello,
    One month ago i just bought PS4 Slim. My first game was GTA 5 so i just bought it and installed it but when i start the game i see game wasn't smooth it's make feels like FPS is under 30. So i crate an topic about that and Everyone said to me this problem it's about GTA 5. After finishing GTA 5 i just start to play a new game the games name is What Remains of Edith Finch. When i start the game i saw the same problem as GTA 5, so i searched to Google for that game and i found this;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-what-remains-of-edith-finch-analysis

When i read this i understand this game too don't work smoothly on PS4 Slim. But after finishing that game i didn't open my PS4 for a month, but now i just installed Sniper Elite 4 to my PS4 and i saw this game not smooth too. When I open the first part of the game, the game slips like butter when I look at the water, but when I stop looking at the water and begin to navigate the game map in a normal way, the smooth of the butter disappears. It's not freezing or slowing. Is that normal for PS4 Slim?

Here is the video i have recorded;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt6MM6W9z_0&feature=youtu.be

I am using an old Samsung TV it's 2003 or 2004 model. TV is 60 Hz and has 1920x1080i resolution not the full HD. Is that this problem can be about my TV? If it's how my game slips like butter when i look at the water?

(I am so sorry for my bad english, i tried my best :D)
  • neilka 14 Aug 2019 15:23:55 22,779 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Aug 2019 15:25:12 6,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's a simple fix for this problem.

It's called "a 3.5k gaming PC".
  • wuntyphyve 14 Aug 2019 16:36:55 13,040 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zombi101 wrote:
    begin to navigate...in a normal way, the smooth of the butter disappears
    Story of my fucking life, I'll never get that smooth of the butter back. Those days are gone.

I wish I could spend more time looking at the water.
  • DangerousDave_87 14 Aug 2019 17:44:37 6,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I tell you which game slips like butter. Mario 64. Mario literally slips around when controlling him and so it's harder to control him a low speed. It's always bugged me about that game. At least the Galaxy games and everything since then don't have that issue.

Honestly though, you need a Pro. When a console manufacturer releases a more powerful version of its hardware, developers tend to lower their performance targets on the weaker hardware. There's no point aiming for buttery smooth performance on a base console if there's more powerful hardware you can work with. It's just easier for them that way.
  • Cappy 14 Aug 2019 19:23:53 14,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apply butter liberally.

You'll get all the smooth you'd ever need. Butter the game disc, replace all the thermal paste on the internal PS4 components with butter. Get butter right in there.

Smooth.
  • Zombi101 15 Aug 2019 07:43:08 3 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Butter is metaphor(yes it's funny). It's feels very smooth when looking water or in the closed area but when i start wander the map that smoothness disappears. I mean it's feel like FPS dropping 22-24 FPS from 30 FPS. Is that normal for that machine? or should i send it for warranty? it's my first console so i don't know what should i do.
  • Some_Goats 15 Aug 2019 10:36:50 136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Butter is used as a metaphor for smoothness in English but not often, and these guys are making fun of you because you've overused and in not quite the right way. They are harmless so don't take offence.

I watched your video and, I'm no expert, but it's about what I'd expect from a PS4 base model running a recent game. I don't think this is a warranty issue or your TV.

Fyi, when you do upgrade the TV, get one with at least a 100hz refresh rate. This will allow smoother games on future consoles you purchase to really shine.
  • Some_Goats 15 Aug 2019 10:39:11 136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Staring at the water (I can't help but think of Peter Beardsley) is smoother because the console is not having to work very hard to render that.

When you look up and start running about, all of a sudden the PS4 is updating trees, mountains, buildings etc all at the same time. It's working much harder so you get fewer frames per second.

Edited by Some_Goats at 10:40:07 15-08-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 Aug 2019 10:52:09 6,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, that looks like normal base-PS4 performance to me. Some developers really stopped prioritising performance on the base consoles once the Pro/X were available. Not that the situation had been particularly great before that either, to be honest.
  • Zombi101 15 Aug 2019 13:05:25 3 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Thank you for answers.

@Some_Goats
    @Rogueywon
  • chessboxer 15 Aug 2019 14:19:37 344 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't believe it's not butter.
  • gillgrissom 20 Aug 2019 14:35:40 17 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zombi101 Damn that tv is old, and as you have said 1080i ( so its not even progressive scan ) the input lag will also be horrendous given such an old model you`ll have to factor in both these.

Time for an upgrade im affraid.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.