How have you dealt with getting older and playing videogames?

First Previous
  • gillri 16 Aug 2019 08:26:50 7 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm 37 been gaming since the NES/SNES era and have seen my taste change drastically as I've gotten older, I think this is down to seeing time as more and more precious once you see it passing by I just wanted to share my changing tastes, I dunno you might find it boring as hell but and hope others will share theirs too

So for example there are entire genre's I don't play and quite happy to just cut them out entirely so I can concentrate on the genres I genuinely still love. I stopped playing beat 'em ups not bought one since VF4 on PS2, stopped playing racing games too, I have never played any RTS's apart from Black & White all those years, I used to play PES with mates but I don't play sports games anymore (although they were never really a part of my gaming life anyway) Never played an MMORPG either so didn't touch World of Warcraft, I was curious about them but never actually tried one

Online shooters I was massively into until the 1st Modern Warfare, I got to about 10000 kills before I realised how much it was taking time away from the genre's of game I wanted to be investing in. After god knows how many hours I put in Counterstrike, Halo 2 and Battefield 2 and 7 years playing online shooters I just couldn't be bothered to be competitive anymore, I saw how the developers were now dangling carrotts infront of gamers to keep them hooked and buying their overpriced DLC maps/content. I'm actually fine with this I mean all games dangle carrotts in some form or another but as long as its in service of a good story/strong characters/sense of exploration/discovery rather than just running around a self contained box shooting people in the head I don't mind it. So I found myself yearning for more story based single player games in my mid 20's, it was after this I went back to the PS2 generation and played the plethora of story SP games I had missed from being glued to Xbox Live. I suddenly found I had all but to cut out online shooters 12 years ago and for this reason I haven't touched a Destiny, Anthem, the Division etc etc or any MMO type game either.

So I'm still hugely into my RPG's, action adventures, indie games, puzzlers The problem for me was when Ubisoft open worlds started to become popular and then other developers started to in-turn copy them so suddenly around 5 years ago we had so many games which essentially boiled down to 'Hey thanks for the £40, so here's our map....go and clean it up...cheers' I was ok with it in Assassins Creed Brotherhood (which I believe was the first game that did the Ubitower thing) doing the same in Revelations, Far Cry 3 and Watchdogs 1 but I remember getting halfway through Far Cry 4 and I had to stop playing it I just couldn't do the same set of repetitive tasks over and over again. Where was the sense of discovery? When did my favourite hobby become a chore? Then other developers thought its what we all wanted and started to copy it which also slightly soured my experience of Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spiderman which I would have liked more if they hadn't followed the Ubisoft template.

So since then I gave up on Ubisoft games (as they are so similiar across the board) apart from the AC franchise because I am fascinated by historical time periods, figures and architecture but after currently playing through AC Odyssey this might be my last one, its just so big and so full of repetition, padding, meaningless content (I got the same feeling with MGSV) I don't think I can do it anymore I could just about manage it with older AC games but the scale is just overwhelming in this one. Its easy to see why Ubisoft do it though there is a fantastic all-in 30/40 hour game there (as with Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda etc) there but of course the bigger the game is the more chance there is to fill the game with microtransactions so I'm doubtful the next AC game will suddenly be the tight 20/30 hour experience I want it to be.

I'm still ok putting huge amount of hours into a game I've completed The Witcher 3 3 times putting close to 200 hours into each time, Zelda BOTW I must have put close to 200 hours into and RDR2 also put over 100 into but they are the very best of the best open world games (in my top 5 of all time) I just feel like I'm at that point in my life where I can only be bothered with gaming unless they are of this quality and mix those with amazing smaller games like Hollow Knight, Celeste. In the future apart from Cyberpunk 2077, the next Elder Scrolls and another Rockstar game I'm not sure I can be bothered with any open world games anymore either. Anyway I could talk for much longer but I'm rambling a bit now so how have your tastes changed as you have gotten older?

Edited by gillri at 08:27:14 16-08-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Aug 2019 08:28:17 7,716 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TL : DR

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 08:28:28 16-08-2019
  • Rusty_M 16 Aug 2019 08:43:35 7,040 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well I've got more spare cash, so I buy more games.

As I have less time to play them, games seem to be getting longer, and my tastes are shifting towards RPGs so I pretty much buy the games I fancy, play them for 5 hours, then never finish them

Edited by Rusty_M at 08:43:47 16-08-2019
  • Reacher 16 Aug 2019 08:53:50 2,852 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have more money, so I buy more games, but I have no time to play them.
  • Derblington 16 Aug 2019 08:59:58 31,892 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Buy more, play a lot but not enough to get through everything.
    I might need to have a proper think about this later, and try to keep next gen a bit more lean.
  • 2dividedby0 16 Aug 2019 09:04:38 55 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    With rising game prices, less money, less time, more bills to pay the result is fewer games. The result is, i tend to focus on a single game for quite some time, which is rather a good thing. Excluding used market games, and new games on sale, the last time i paid the full price for a new game was on the released on Metal Gear Solid V. My next full price game will be Death Stranding, which i've pre_ordered.
  • richardiox 16 Aug 2019 09:05:50 7,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Quiet resignation and the need to still to play every new game, usually for about 90 minutes in total.

Two kids one of whom is a baby is a real hobby killer.
  • THFourteen 16 Aug 2019 09:08:10 52,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In general I have way more hobbies than I have spare time. In between gym, football, Lego, gaming, reading, I can barely do anything well.

I tend to have one ďbigĒ game on at a time (currently fire emblem) and usually on switch even tho I prefer PC games, because it means I can play on the train or here and there when I get a few minutes.

Biggest problem in general is wasting time on the internet rather than focusing on something, anything.
  • Chug666 16 Aug 2019 09:16:20 599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @gillri I appear to basically be you, apart from being older by a year and never having had an online shooter phase. Bigger games take waaay longer now because kids, so I tend to stick to one big game plus something smaller and more immediate for opportunity game time. Switch is amazing for this, as opportunity gaming now includes zelda. My psvr is very dusty...

On the flip side, playing Mario kart with my daughters is pretty ace, so I'm happy with my current gaming situation even if I have to make peace with not playing through everything.
  • Chug666 16 Aug 2019 09:18:21 599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen I'm you too!
  • Addy__ 16 Aug 2019 09:19:39 1,432 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I killed everyone I know so I can get my theme park finished on Rollercoaster tycoon.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Aug 2019 09:26:31 11,136 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to be 37
  • robthehermit 16 Aug 2019 09:32:12 7,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mostly play single player games. I really can't be bothered with online shooters, and don't have the time or patience to put in the many hours of practice needed to not be a complete liability in any multiplayer game these days.

Give me a game I can just bumble around in at my own pace and I'm perfectly happy. Love a Ubi collectathon.
  • robthehermit 16 Aug 2019 09:33:24 7,425 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I used to be 37
    So did I :(
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Aug 2019 09:37:39 7,716 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have found myself recently sitting in front of the playstation/xbox and noping out of playing anything. I just dont have the energy to start anything big.

The switch seems immune to this issue though (on account of it being portable and long commutes) but even then i have been seen to just stare at the home screen for ages.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 16 Aug 2019 09:39:15 486 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    ...play them for 5 hours, then never finish them
    Pretty much this. But, erm, I occasionally finish some of them. Like racing sims, or shorter story-based games. Or third person action games (Tomb R, MadMax, etc), or action RPGs that are not too long (e.g. Torchlight,Grim Dawn). Cause I like to see the story finale you see. But if I'm bored by the game I just watch it on YT.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 09:50:16 16-08-2019
  • Load_2.0 16 Aug 2019 09:44:01 29,765 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got a Nintendo Switch.

Given Nintendo release 1st party games I actually want to play every 12 - 14 months managing my time ain't an issue.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Aug 2019 09:50:36 1,141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Me and my girlfriend play a lot of co-op games together which is great as I was getting jaded with gaming for a long time. I've played through a few single player games recently and I was getting to a point of that I'm not enjoying it but I have to finish it...
  • kosigan 16 Aug 2019 09:50:50 697 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Time definitely becomes an issue, but I'm 50 and still play racing games.
  • gillri 16 Aug 2019 10:02:48 7 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the replies, been a member on here for over 10 years but never actually posted anything in fact its my first post on an online gaming forum since my Gamespot days.
  • drhickman1983 16 Aug 2019 10:04:18 6,040 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    More spare cash, so I buy more games, play them for half an hour then get bored.

I don't have less time, it's more the ennui of age.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Aug 2019 10:18:37 1,141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I went through a phase of buying shit loads of retro games and consoles because of some spare cash. Now they just gather dust ha..
  • Murbs 16 Aug 2019 10:25:55 24,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím 45 and spend more time deciding what to play than actually playing.
  • Rhaegyr 16 Aug 2019 10:42:08 4,815 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Ditto. Same with films and TV.
  • ZuluHero 16 Aug 2019 10:49:52 7,533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm too old to waste my time reading all that, but I just focus on 1 console (switch) and 1 game a month.

I was getting a bit depressed by all the unopened ps4 games I swore I'd get around to "one day".

Maybe that's my retirement plan.
  • THFourteen 16 Aug 2019 10:52:04 52,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In a few weeks time my son will be at school and my daughter will still be having a 2hour afternoon nap....

And I donít work Mondays!

Edited by THFourteen at 10:52:17 16-08-2019
  • ERG1008 16 Aug 2019 10:55:16 790 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Ha ha yes this exactly!

Gaming time these days is when Mrs and kids have gone to bed although I'll play Cities Skylines which my 7yo thinks is the dullest game ever. Youngest loves it as you can walk around as a Gorilla or Dog.

I tend to pick up stuff cheap or the monthly Gold free ones but never seem to play them. I am currently working my way through the first Division though which I'm enjoying.
    The days of sitting down to play something, forgetting time then looking outside and it's dark seem a lifetime ago.
  • dadrester 16 Aug 2019 10:59:46 2,555 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm quite bad for sacrificing sleep and all the associated benefeits to play games these days. I'll usually pick a game and try and complete it. Obviously with more disposable cash (and as a developer the excuse that I'm researching) I still buy a fair amount but I've got to the pointwhere I'll only spend money on games I definitley want to play, as opposed to buying everything that seems interesting or a bit different.

I think PS+ has a lot to answer for in terms of my pile of shame though, as I feel like I *should* play a lot of stuff on there, and maybe do an hour of one game and 20 mins of another.

+1 fed up with "ubiworlds" though. So much width vs. the amount of depth. I'm on Assassins Creed Oddysey right now and it's rather compelling but fuck me 90% of it is pointless filler.

100% with Murbs and Rhaegyr on spending ages picking what to watch on Netflix/Amazon though. My wife and daughter bollock me... "Oh god, he's scrolling again"
  • THFourteen 16 Aug 2019 11:01:46 52,820 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The challenge thread has massively helped me on that front. I make a point of only having that one big game on the go, so thereís no real sitting around thinking about what to play. Either I play or I donít play.
  • Zerobob 16 Aug 2019 11:02:17 2,252 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm 36 and I play a lot less now than I used to.

Partly because I'm less easily impressed by games, partly because I value my spare time more and like getting out the house, and partly because I see a lot of games as a vapid experience, with many games sticking to the same stale genres. It's only really games with a tactical element that interest me, due to the rewards of the experience.

If I want to be told a story I watch a film or TV series, rather than play a story-driven game for 40 hours.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.