How have you dealt with getting older and playing videogames? Page 2

• ShaktiWaghela 16 Aug 2019 11:12:33 2 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I just quite from videogame and start new life. It's amazing!

https://docsbay.net/restarted-life-by-quitting-video-games
  • ChiefGB 16 Aug 2019 11:19:26 11,338 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Buy more, play a fair bit, complete next to nothing.
  • robthehermit 16 Aug 2019 11:24:15 7,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It never ceases to amaze me that despite having access to Netflix, Amazon and all the Sky channels except sports, that I can sit there for ages scrolling through shit complaining that there's fuck all on. We usually plan in advance these days, as it saves no end of time. For example I know that tonight I'll be watching MasterChef Australia, Fantastic Beasts 2, New Amsterdam and John Richardson, with some old Mock the Week thrown in at the end if we finish everything else before 11.
  • spindle9988 16 Aug 2019 11:29:03 4,955 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I used to be 37
    So did I :(
    I still am 37 (just)

Age definitely changes gaming habits. Like said previously, I have more money than I did at 10yrs old so buy more games with no time to play them.
    My fave online game with mates is ghost recon wildland.
  • THFourteen 16 Aug 2019 11:40:45 52,820 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    It never ceases to amaze me that despite having access to Netflix, Amazon and all the Sky channels except sports, that I can sit there for ages scrolling through shit complaining that there's fuck all on. We usually plan in advance these days, as it saves no end of time. For example I know that tonight I'll be watching MasterChef Australia, Fantastic Beasts 2, New Amsterdam and John Richardson, with some old Mock the Week thrown in at the end if we finish everything else before 11.
    Fortunately for me when the football season is on, i can pretty much watch football 6 days a week.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Aug 2019 11:43:05 7,407 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Am older than the OP and still spend a ridiculous amount of time on my favourite hobby. I doubt this will ever change to be honest. No kids and a tolerant wife helps though.

Nevertheless, my habits changed. I buy fewer games but spend more money (relatively speaking, my overall spending has also decreased despite higher disposable income) on individual games via DLC or microtransactions (the latter only really Elite Dangerous though).

I used to play several new games each month and traded them in, now I'm PC only so that won't work, but I don't want to anyways - dumping hundreds if not thousands of hours into the same dozen or so titles I have installed, hardly ever buy a completely new game these days.
  • Fake_Blood 16 Aug 2019 11:45:12 9,665 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also 37. Iíve gone from looking forward to big games for months or years and inevitably being disappointed to being pleasantly surprised by titles I didnít even knew were coming out, stuff like Dead Cells or Outer Wilds or Inside. Besides that I went full VR, it works well for games I played anyway, like flight sims and driving games. I spend the last couple of nights practicing take off and landing the Boeing 737 in Xplane 11 VR and itís absolutely glorious.
  • gillri 16 Aug 2019 11:47:13 7 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    I'm 36 and I play a lot less now than I used to.

Partly because I'm less easily impressed by games, partly because I value my spare time more and like getting out the house, and partly because I see a lot of games as a vapid experience, with many games sticking to the same stale genres. It's only really games with a tactical element that interest me, due to the rewards of the experience.

If I want to be told a story I watch a film or TV series, rather than play a story-driven game for 40 hours.
    I know but I find interactive stories more compelling, my favourite videogames of all time I think about almost daily (not sure if thats a good thing), my favourite films and TV shows ill maybe think about for a few days afterwards only. I think its because you remember the story and characters in the context of an actual 3D space so it makes the memory of playing them much more intense. I do like being mentally challenged though, so I loved The Witness and The Talos Principle as 2 hard puzzlers in recent years
  • glo 16 Aug 2019 11:47:50 3,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm rapidly approaching 50 and have been gaming since the garage in our village got space invaders and asteroids cabinets around 1980. Like other have said I definitely buy more games and don't complete them all unlike in my 20s when I had less money and more time. Play a lot more smaller, indie games these days as I struggle to get through the AAA 40-60 hour open world stuff.

Used to play a lot of online multiplayer but rarely bother these days as I have lost some of the twitch skills required for fighting games and FPSes and also don't have the time (or inclination) to commit to being competitive at them any more.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Aug 2019 11:52:54 7,407 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Also 37. Iíve gone from looking forward to big games for months or years and inevitably being disappointed to being pleasantly surprised by titles I didnít even knew were coming out, stuff like Dead Cells or Outer Wilds or Inside. Besides that I went full VR, it works well for games I played anyway, like flight sims and driving games. I spend the last couple of nights practicing take off and landing the Boeing 737 in Xplane 11 VR and itís absolutely glorious.
    I find that simulations and sandbox games hold my attention better than story driven titles. I have zero patience for padded out and cliche riddled campaigns these days.
  • THFourteen 16 Aug 2019 12:09:53 52,820 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really miss the days of being into Championship Manager. Hours and hours whiled away. Thesedays i still buy Football Manager Touch every year (on the ipad) but it just doesnt hold my attention at all.
  • dadrester 16 Aug 2019 12:16:58 2,555 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh yeah, in addition to my previous comment I tend to be quite attracted to games where you can get straight into them with very little learning but then they open up loads and teach new systems and so on as you progress. Dead Cells is a great example.
  • Robospud 16 Aug 2019 12:19:52 77 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I only play on console these days, I can't bring myself to go and sit at a desk to play a PC game, I spend enough time doing that at work.

I don't think my taste in genres has changed too much, I've always enjoyed RPGs, story driven games, character building, strategy, tactics and planning. I've never particularly enjoyed competitive twitchy games, from FPS to fighting games. One exception to that was racing games which I used to be very into (ask me 10 years ago and I'd probably have said Gran Turismo was my favourite game) but no racing game has interested me in a long time. Not sure if that's me or the genre. I still purchased the likes of GT Sport, the various Forza and Horizon games, Project Cars, F1 in recent years but none of them kept my attention for more than a day or two.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 16 Aug 2019 12:25:39 10,911 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After 25 years of gaming I now no longer purchase at release, there are whole genres I've abandoned, and I've gone back to replaying a lot of older games

I also don't get the time anymore so I tend to only play between 10 and midnight rather than long half day sessions
  • dpezzer 16 Aug 2019 12:31:20 166 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm 48 and got introduced to gaming by the likes of astro wars and scramble etc that were bought as Xmas presents before moving to my first computer the c64 then Amiga and various consoles over the years.

I then bought a pc a pentium 133 think it cost around 2k at the time then the first 3d cards came out and it felt like I could finally get arcade quality games.

As for now I only really play one game at a time currently the Witcher 3 as I can't remember the controls and game systems if I switch around too much.
  • Big-Swiss 16 Aug 2019 12:50:33 9,363 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I used to be 37
    So did I :(
    I still am 37 (just)

Age definitely changes gaming habits. Like said previously, I have more money than I did at 10yrs old so buy more games with no time to play them.
    This!
  • AboutHalfaStevas 16 Aug 2019 13:20:11 1,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dadrester wrote:
    I'm quite bad for sacrificing sleep and all the associated benefeits to play games these days.
    To anyone else who does this, don't.
    You will pay for it later in life (most probably with high blood pressure and a sleep disorder).
  • ChocNut 16 Aug 2019 13:20:57 2,465 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My life drastically changed a few years ago and everything seems to be trying to prevent me from playing games.

But I donít give a fuck and Iím burning important aspects of my life to keep it up.

Gaming is too good right now.
  • ghearoid 16 Aug 2019 14:25:55 3,230 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    After years of getting all the consoles, I've abandoned PlayStation and XBox to only having a Switch. My favourite games happen to mostly be from Nintendo anyway.

In terms of genes, I've always enjoyed JRPGs and strategy games so I play a lot of those. I much prefer turn based combat to twitchy real time shenanigans.

As for finding the time these days, I rarely watch television now, just my Real Housewives and a bit of Judge Judy really. I have Netflix but that's just for RuPaul's Drag Race.

So yeah, I don't see myself ever giving up.
  • richarddavies 16 Aug 2019 14:28:30 6,812 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still have, and probably always will have an interest in videogames but the amount of time I actually play them is pretty minimal now. Between a missus and kids, work etc I just dont know when I could invest in any serious time in a game. I still play a little but mainly in bed on the vita or switch.
  • RobAnybody 16 Aug 2019 14:33:06 1,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucked up both wrists playing too many games in my youth so I now have to be careful with what I play and not play for as long, as a result of this I tend to watch others play games on either Twitch or YouTube. It's not the same of course but it's better than nowt.
  • robthehermit 16 Aug 2019 14:39:53 7,425 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    dadrester wrote:
    I'm quite bad for sacrificing sleep and all the associated benefeits to play games these days.
    You will pay for it later in life (most probably with high blood pressure and a sleep disorder).
    I'm guilty of this. The bulk of my (uninterrupted) gaming is between 11pm and 2 am after Mrs Hermit has gone to bed. I usually end up with around 5 hours sleep on average.
  • SnackPlissken 16 Aug 2019 14:42:02 1,141 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Fucked up both wrists playing too many games in my youth so I now have to be careful with what I play and not play for as long, as a result of this I tend to watch others play games on either Twitch or YouTube. It's not the same of course but it's better than nowt.
    How does one fuck up both wrists? Did you get too aggressive on Daley Thompson?

Edited by SnackPlissken at 14:42:43 16-08-2019
  • dadrester 16 Aug 2019 14:45:44 2,555 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    AboutHalfaStevas wrote:
    dadrester wrote:
    I'm guilty of this. The bulk of my (uninterrupted) gaming is between 11pm and 2 am after Mrs Hermit has gone to bed. I usually end up with around 5 hours sleep on average.
    Yeah. Pretty sure it's incredibly bad for me. I did 2 months of setting an alarm and making sure i was in bed with no phone/console/distractions by 12 a while back and after a few weeks I felt physically loads better, plus I lost a ton of weight without changing anything else.

Probably need some better stratergies to avoid binge gaming.
  • glo 16 Aug 2019 14:53:40 3,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @dadrester - I used to do the same and stay up until 1-2am playing games in the week (later at the weekends) but it does take its toll eventually. Nowadays I usually play for about an hour after my other half goes to bed and then stop and watch something short on netflix/prime and then head to bed around 12.30am. As I don't have an especially early start this means I can usually get 6.5/7hrs sleep which is more sustainable as a middle-aged gamer.
  • adamasunder12 16 Aug 2019 15:06:07 726 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 4 months ago

Skills haven't subsided but appetite certainly has. Up until a couple of years ago I absolutely had to have the top gear, the newest games. Now, I am still playing Gungeon from 2 years ago and that's only round a mate's as I got rid of all my consoles a while back. I may get a revised Switch by the end of the year though as I still love a bit of Nintendo goodness.
  • RawShark 16 Aug 2019 15:13:02 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm reading a lot of posts from people the same age as feeling the exact same way. I won't lie, it's made me feel a lot better about myself. I thought I was the only one that would spend hours trying to figure out what I'm in the mood for only to not play anything at all.I think carefully nowadays before investing money in 200 hour long epics because I know there's not much chance I'll see the end of it, although occasionally I will get wrapped up in something like The Witcher 3.

It goes double for TV - I've got a backlog of shame on my Sky planner of shows I've recorded but will probably never get round to watching. I find myself watching a lot of YouTube shows - things like Digital Foundry Retro or Game Grumps lets plays - because they don't require any concentration and are only about 20 mins long a shot, so I don't have to sit still too long. I've become very fidgety recently.

Basically, these days I go for things that are easy rather than challenging. Which is probably why I go for instant gratification and jack it so much. Whole weekends lost to polishing the pole. Weeks taken off from work where I say I'll do some gardening but instead mangle the meat missile. A whole world of enjoyment waiting for me outside and instead I'm celebrating Palm Sunday every day of the week.

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
  • dadrester 16 Aug 2019 15:55:23 2,555 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RawShark wrote:

Sorry, what were we talking about again?
    Honestly, I'm 40 and I probably wank more now than I did wehn I was 16.
  • rice_sandwich 16 Aug 2019 16:25:36 5,608 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm focusing on playing first party games on the Switch and a few pc shmups. That's plenty given that I don't want to devote all of my leisure time to gaming.
  • neems 16 Aug 2019 16:44:52 4,675 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    41, another member of the 'buy games I know ill never finish ' club.

Oddly enough, I seem to be more likely to finish less involving games these days, even if they're a bit janky.

Recent examples - Metro Exodus - great game, not finished. Rage 2 - kinda mediocre, finished it fairly rapidly.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.