How have you dealt with getting older and playing videogames? Page 3

• K-Project 16 Aug 2019 16:56:46 479 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

All about the old stuff for me these days. I tried, I really tried with a PS3 some years ago (at the end of its lifespan - I stayed behind a gen) but it didn't gel like the old days. Though I did play one or two I really liked, it didn't inspire me like it used to. Lots of recommended games I either just didn't have the time to play or just didn't enjoy enough. I did want to get a PS4 at some point mainly for Shenmue/other Sega shenanigans but I don't like the console that much really, and don't seem to care enough anymore. /shrugs

Happy to have my Retro Gamer sub and home-made retro console. Don't really want or have time for any more than that. I suppose the marketing men would call me a "lapsed gamer".
  • hedben2013 16 Aug 2019 18:10:11 1,185 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of the main getting-older revelations I had was about 8 years ago, when I figured out it's fine not to like whole genres of games. I was banging my head against Super Meatboy and went "hang on, I've never really enjoyed platformers that much, maybe I don't need to buy even the really good ones".

Now I hardly buy anything unless it's both heavily discounted and a genre I know I'll like, but I'm still a sucker for a bargain and buy things I'll probably never get around to using (I'm looking at you, Forza 6 complete add-on collection for 4 quid)
  • adamasunder12 16 Aug 2019 18:15:02 727 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I have been guilty of the same. I had this insane notion that I had to be so open minded as to enjoy everything highly regarded regardless of genre and it just meant I was buying countless games that I was never inspired to finish.

I now realise I am very much an action fiend and although strategy games earn my respect, for the most part I can't get into them.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Aug 2019 18:29:29 6,762 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Good question.

First of all, I got older. Then I played more videogames
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Aug 2019 18:32:15 7,716 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Good question.

First of all, I got older. Then I played more videogames
    Did you even attempt to read the OGís blog... sorry post?
  • neems 16 Aug 2019 18:36:16 4,675 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I find if I don't buy a game during its 'launch window', I'll either never buy it at all or I'll get it for bugger all 8 months later. Save so much money that way.

Of course if it comes to Switch later, I'll end up spending more on an inferior version. C'est la vie.
  • JoeBlade 16 Aug 2019 18:43:16 4,464 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    45, been a gamer for the bulk of it

Since I'm nowhere near settled (single, no kids and generally very few obligations other than work) spare time is not an issue. My reflexes, eyesight and such are on the way out though so I tend to stick to slower/more forgiving games.

Also, I've seen most game mechanics, or something similar to them, countless times before; consequently I have little patience left for games that are solely/primarily mechanics-driven, some exceptions notwithstanding.
    Above all I give practice makes perfect stuff where you have to do the same thing over and over until you're really good at it a very wide berth indeed.

Insisting on finishing games on hardest difficulties or 100% them is certainly a thing of the past too. And there's no shame in giving up on games; the cost is negligible and I'd rather every gaming hour be one I truly enjoy.
  • beastmaster 16 Aug 2019 18:53:53 19,401 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    50 at the end of the year. Seem to have lost all interest. Been buying but not playing at all.

On a 2 week holiday so maybe the Switch will entice me back in.
  • fontgeeksogood 16 Aug 2019 18:54:31 6,762 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Graxlar_v3 was it about going faster than light in Gran Turismo
  • superdelphinus 16 Aug 2019 18:58:17 10,090 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Very late nights and getting use to much less sleep
  • JamboWayOh 16 Aug 2019 19:02:08 14,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 was it about going faster than light in Gran Turismo
    Ahhh, man that post creased me up.
  • HelloNo 16 Aug 2019 19:31:13 2,126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now I think about, my tastes have pretty much stayed the same. RPGs and adventure games. The genres have changed enough that they've stayed interesting.
  • Samildanach 16 Aug 2019 21:56:43 107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    40 here and like others have said, I have come to the realisation that certain genres are left for others to enjoy. I wonder whether us old fogies have moved on from the same genres, but here is the ones I used to play and now avoid:
    Platformers (I realise I never liked them, the irritation of missing that jump again)
    Stratagy games (No PC gaming now, but I did enjoy many an hour on the HOMM series in its early days, later moving to Total War before thinking 'fuck it')
    Turn-based RPGs (Was a massive fan of these in their heyday until the ps3 gen when they started to be filled with underage anime brats in skimpy clothes - feck off! I finally managed to try classics that I missed out on originally, Chrono Cross and Star Ocean 2, and found them so slow and tedious. That's it for that genre then.)

I'm also finding I am not really enjoying 1st and 3rd person shooters anymore, especially horror based ones which means I am turning into a wuss. Stealth games start to test my patience now.

So, what remains?
    Shmups, especially horizontal ones. I feel this genre is as pure gaming as you can get. The moment to moment fast paced action always gets me.
    Assassins creed games, gradually getting through them, done up to AC4 so far, and while I never find them utterly compelling, they are easy fun and interesting in their portrayals of history.
    Action RPG, much more tactile than the Turn-based variant in a way. Needs interesting characters, and is helped by a fantastical world, good story and music. Battle system strangely doesn't need to be that good. e.g. Nier
    Souls games, a version of the above really, but they are so damn good that I think that I have moved away from the other genres because of them. Ruined I say! But so wonderfully ruined.
    Finally, I have got back into a really old form of gaming in the form of the Lone Wolf books. All original books available for free to do on your phone (with the author's blessing), I can't get enough of them. The Saga petered out in the early 90s at book 28, and the final four are only now being written and released now...and they are epic.
    Anyway, sorry for the long post. 🙄
  • Bichii 16 Aug 2019 22:06:00 1,894 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Late 30s.
    I thought I was going to finally play less games when I had kids. Turned out the opposite. I'm now in more in the evenings and don't ever seem to fancy reading anymore, I need that quick fix of some gaming.

One thing I need to start accepting is I'm not as good as I was. I still love a good PvP game but get shitty as I'm not winning all the time. Reactions are like some little old lady sometimes.

I definitely don't have patience if I start to have to repeat bits on a sp campaign. I'll pretty quickly drop the difficulty if it means I don't have to repeat sections. Before I'd make sure I'd beat it on the hardest setting like mentioned above.

I'd still like to get away from games but whenever I have free solo time I can't be bothered to do anything else.
  • RawShark 16 Aug 2019 23:22:45 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think itís normal to enjoy having games available to play, even if you donít get round to playing them. I doubt many of us were able to have all the consoles and games available to us when we were younger.

So Iím the middle child of three kids. My Dad got my elder brother an Amiga one Christmas. It couldnít have been cheap, and we were struggling as it was, but Dad didnít want my brother to go without, and was hoping one of us would use it to learn how to code and become a millionaire.

It got a lot of use, although my brother wasnít always great at sharing it. Then the SNES came out. My brother set his heart on it, and obviously I was well up for that, and it didnít help that a friend who had a much wealthier family was given one and loved showing it off. But my Dad just didnít get why he would want one when he had the Amiga that he had to scrimp and save to get him.

Now my brother could have explained that Nintendo were masters of video game design. He could have explained how their titles were exclusive to the system. He could have explained that games just ran better and on the SNES. But my brother wasnít a particularly bright kid. He said ďthe SNES has more buttonsĒ and ďthe Amiga wasnít good enoughĒ. Dad fucking blew his top. He was so angry I might have actually pissed myself.

I managed to get a game gear for one birthday, because it was portable, but other than that no other games consoles entered the house until we earned money ourselves and could afford to buy our own.

So now I can afford to own every console, I do. Sure, I donít get to play as often as Iíd like, but if my younger self could see me now heíd be super proud.

Tl;dr itís because I pissed myself as a kid.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 17 Aug 2019 06:24:50 1,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    50s

I now need to wear reading glasses playing the Switch in hand held.

Iíve less money for games as Iíve a wife and kids and mortgage to keep happy. Iíve less time for games for most of the above reasons, but I sneak gaming sessions in when I can.

Tend to lower the gaming difficulty to Easy and happily leave it there now. Gone are the completing Goldeneye level difficulty or collecting all the stars etc.

Tend to go back to games I like. Mainly only play RPGs now. No longer play PC games as I no longer have a PC.
  • Dirtbox 17 Aug 2019 11:33:59 91,187 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think the problem is being less inclined to try new things as you get older. I can't be ballsed with the whole learning weird mechanics or "language" of games these days, so I stick to tried and true games that I know I can depend on. Fuck age, it's more about experience.

You're a brainless twat if you think it has anything to do anything other than laziness by way of jaded familiarity of unfamiliarity.
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Aug 2019 11:56:39 7,716 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For me I find myself getting stressed even before I put the damn thing on.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Aug 2019 12:03:32 24,912 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I play 60/70% of a game then watch the ending on YT

Sorry revan, only joshing .

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:04:21 17-08-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 17 Aug 2019 12:04:54 7,716 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I play 60/70% of a game then watch the ending on YT

Sorry revan, only joshing .
    Pretty sure Reven only gets as far as the title screen.
  • Technoishmatt 17 Aug 2019 12:09:20 3,512 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago

I wasnt allowed a console as a kid, but I did have a game boy. I think I realise now that I wasnt that into it as I am not a platformer fan.

Really got into PC gaming - civilisation, lotus 3, and then properly into Q2. Since then FPS games are my thing, really. Most other games I didnt finish. I have also enjoyed action games like new tomb raider. But I just dont have time for campaigns now. I play bursts of PvP.

When I have the space I plan to either properly setup my Rift, or get a Quest, so I can dip into that.
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Aug 2019 16:22:34 14,645 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Indie games (which are not rogue-likes). It is nice to actually finish some games.
  • dai_bonehead 17 Aug 2019 20:23:20 470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not only have I changed - or rather my circumstances have changed in terms of wife and kids - but games have changed, too.

I have the Witcher 3 installed. Don't have time to put the work in.

I have RDR 2 installed. Don't have time to put the work in.

I just completed Deus Ex Human Revolution some 5 years after last playing it.

I've started Mankind Devided and hope to finish it in a shorter time frame.

What I want to do one day is setup my Commodore 64 and Amiga and play some stuff, but I don't think I'll find time or room to do so until I'm a lot older.

Edited by dai_bonehead at 07:55:35 18-08-2019
  • gillri 18 Aug 2019 06:55:57 7 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have found I yearn to play more nostalgic titles but only if they have been remade/update/r-released, so was happy to see Doom 3 get a PS4 Pro port and also looking forward to play Black Mesa when the Xen levels finally come out, I always have time for another playthrough of RE4 also (think ive completed it 5 times) Apparently System Shock 2 remake is coming out also.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Aug 2019 06:57:26 7,716 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    dai_bonehead wrote:
    Not only have I changed - or rather my circumstances have changed in terms of wife and kids - but games have changed, too.

I have the Witcher 3 installed. Don't have time to put the work in.

I have RDR 2 installed. Don't have time to put the work in.

I just completed Deus Ex Human Revolution some 5 years after last playing it.

I've started Mankind Devided and how to finish it in a shorter time frame.

What I want to do one day is setup my Commodore 64 and Amiga and play some stuff, but I don't think I'll find time or room to do so until I'm slot older.
    There is a Commodore 64 mini if that helps.
  • Pipedream 18 Aug 2019 08:29:06 485 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's obvious really, but I now only play games that are fun and not just an experience. Games like Mario Maker, Mario Kart, Dead Cells etc

I find most western games (apart from indies), you watch rather than play.

The Witcher 3 for example, most of the game you're watching a horses bum and listening to people talk.
  • quadfather 18 Aug 2019 13:24:45 34,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I think the problem is being less inclined to try new things as you get older. I can't be ballsed with the whole learning weird mechanics or "language" of games these days, so I stick to tried and true games that I know I can depend on. Fuck age, it's more about experience.

You're a brainless twat if you think it has anything to do anything other than laziness by way of jaded familiarity of unfamiliarity.
    Yeah agreed. This is how I feel about it at my age now (47). I can't be fucked re-doing it all to get whatever the fuck I'm supposed to get out of it, so it has to be something I 100% like from the off.

Plus the older you get the more other stuff you have to do. Or want to do. Million things to do apart from game.
  • Daz190uk 18 Aug 2019 13:28:24 379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    32 and fighting back the years.

I've always been heavily in to competitive gaming, it's just in my nature. So after a lit if my teens spent playing Counter Strike in various teams and a few LANs I kind of quite anything but some casual football manager or strategy games at Uni.

After Uni, money was less easy initially, so went for a 360 and ended up playing quite of a bit of competitive CoD.

Now, I'm really into racing games and have played lots of F1 in a league and more recently built a gaming PC to get in to iRacing.

Racing aside though, I thought I would rekindle my love for PC gaming but I find I just can't be bothered with it. All the tweaking with settings isn't worth it compared to the Xbox in my mind - that has surprised me.

Like many others in here I'm definitely guilty these days of spending loads more on the hobby but then not having the time to make the most of it. Having a 1 year old does that.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.