Following PS5 - 'leaked' design Page 6

• Ror 18 Mar 2020 17:18:55 20,080 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Now, out of morbid curiosity, Iím going to hold my nose and see what UBERFLOP discussions the internet twats are having.
    Eh, just ignore it and be happy that both are very powerful, and that everyone will be getting vastly better CPUs this time out.
  • Fake_Blood 18 Mar 2020 17:21:49 10,367 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Would have been nice to at least hear they are thinking about a next VR headset but oh well.
  • KD 18 Mar 2020 17:24:50 2,722 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm guessing PS5 Pro will equal the specs and leave this a little cheaper on release, BC stuff a little diappointing for those with hundred+ games but cant see an issue for me who skipped the ps4.
  • Ror 18 Mar 2020 17:28:25 20,080 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Fake_Blood There have been patents for future PSVR stuff, so there'll definitely be a new headset/controllers at some point.
  • Malek86 18 Mar 2020 17:32:51 10,090 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not all PS4 games will be supported at launch? Come on now. This should be easy enough.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Mar 2020 18:37:22 19,306 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    ďGulfĒ is stretching it massively
    Really? Because there's quite a big difference between base xbox and ps4.
  • Blackmarsh63 18 Mar 2020 18:43:31 3,272 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    ďGulfĒ is stretching it massively
    Really? Because there's quite a big difference between base xbox and ps4.
    Xbox One. ,720p anyone ?
  • Bichii 18 Mar 2020 18:53:50 3,047 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't watch it, ethernet port??
  • SnackPlissken 18 Mar 2020 18:55:04 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I just want it to play PS2 games.
    If only they made a console capable of playing PS2 games...

Hmmm
    Please tell me more
    Its called a PS2 yer dumbass.
    Whooosh
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 19:00:03 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:

Hmmm
    Please tell me more
    Whooosh
    Is that the sound of your last brain cell leaving your head?
  • Ror 18 Mar 2020 19:20:47 20,080 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Honestly, A PS5 that's capable of playing their entire software history would be amazing. I value the XBO back compat program for a number of reasons: I can play some of my favourite older games on the machine that is already hooked up; I don't have to worry about having to find a compatible component cable for an old machine (composite is horrific on a modern TV); I can build an immediately accessible digital library on my current platform (that will probably carry forward to the next one), with the games often costing relative peanuts; I can use modern console features like GameDVR on older games, and; some of them will get enhancements on newer platforms.

My One X is currently somewhat reminiscent of my Stream library - loads of games I love, installed and ready to go off the HDD. That's obviously not going to be important for everyone, but it would've been a major selling point for me.
  • Derblington 18 Mar 2020 20:01:27 33,138 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I would expect the launch offering to be just that, and more titles will be added over time (which is what MS did this gen - remember that the XOne didnít launch with BC and they built their library over time). I donít expect PS3 titles to be available unless they really invest in a decent emulation solution, but they rely on PS Now for that.

That said, I donít see Sony putting the same effort in as MS has - itís not as natural a skill set within the organization and they have different hardware goals.

I quite liked todays deep dive, but I also didnít think it was a reveal. They did the same thing with the PS4 to largely the same public reaction. Will be interesting seeing the box and the games through the summer.
  • Technoishmatt 18 Mar 2020 20:02:56 4,127 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anybody understand the variable clock speed yet?
  • SnackPlissken 18 Mar 2020 20:14:20 1,856 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:

Hmmm
    Please tell me more
    Whooosh
    Are you really trying to aggravate me? Itís like a 14 year old trying to push my buttons haha.
  • b-rk 18 Mar 2020 20:18:01 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    watching the stream, it's pretty boring tbh
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 20:26:01 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    I think it's that they know they have a certain amount of thermal cooling, and they can clock up (or down) the CPU's and GPU's cores depending on the game's requirements to stay within the thermal limits of the overall system.

Remember, the CUs in the PS5 are clocked significantly higher than the Xbox, thus they generate more heat so that's how they get close to the lower clocked but many more CUs processing power in the X.

Can't wait to see the final hardware design as their success at matching the power of the X will hinge on it so much.

The X will obviously cost significantly more, and overall it's faster, but by how much in real world games is what we'll all be dying to see!
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 20:27:19 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:

Hmmm
    Please tell me more
    Whooosh
    Are you really trying to aggravate me? Itís like a 14 year old trying to push my buttons haha.
    I'm sure you think those 14 year olds are always "pushing your buttons" eh?
  • Your-Mother 18 Mar 2020 20:46:06 4,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Shut the fuck up Carlo
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 20:51:57 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Shut the fuck up Carlo
    Fuck off
  • mothercruncher 18 Mar 2020 21:05:36 17,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Absolutely baffled. It runs at full speed until itís getting too hot and then drops clocks up to 10% in order to reign that in? What gives at that point then- detail in the game world?
  • Derblington 18 Mar 2020 21:24:04 33,138 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    The X will obviously cost significantly more, and overall it's faster, but by how much in real world games is what we'll all be dying to see!
    Faster how? I thought the major point of the first half of the Sony deep dive was that itís like shit off a shovel.
  • Derblington 18 Mar 2020 22:04:11 33,138 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Absolutely baffled. It runs at full speed until itís getting too hot and then drops clocks up to 10% in order to reign that in? What gives at that point then- detail in the game world?
    They said that to reduce power by 10% it takes a couple of percent reduction in clock speed frequency.
    Would it make more sense that they do some of that variable res stuff they like to use currently?

Edited by Derblington at 22:04:30 18-03-2020
  • Fake_Blood 18 Mar 2020 22:06:33 10,367 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the point was that they don't clock down when the processor gets too hot, rather they know how much power a certain number of calculations is going to take so clock down ahead of time? Not 100% sure though.
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 22:14:15 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Faster how? I thought the major point of the first half of the Sony deep dive was that itís like shit off a shovel.
    On paper, the GFLOPS put it slightly ahead no? Like I said, can't wait to see real world games tests.
  • mothercruncher 18 Mar 2020 22:21:37 17,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whatever, can we please ensure ecosseís thread is a GIGAMEGAFLOP and this one wins, ta 👍
  • Ron_Justice 18 Mar 2020 22:24:04 3,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    My understanding is, it's like Hulk in the later Avengers Films. It's always Angry, that's the secret to it not being volatile. If you know your hardware is always going to be at 100% capacity/power draw (or less on occasion*) then you build the entire packaging / cooling around that instead of best guessing, which has been the norm until now. When that 'best guess' is under par - as is often the case in badly optimised or late generation games - you get Jet Engine PS4's.

*clocking down will be the exception, not the rule and the up side is, the PS5 becomes more efficient in those situations.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Mar 2020 22:25:11 19,306 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Whatever, can we please ensure ecosseís thread is a GIGAMEGAFLOP and this one wins, ta 👍
    Wtf, I just noticed the other thread. Is this some kind of practice for the eventuality of him putting so many people on the list he only talks to himself?
  • Ron_Justice 18 Mar 2020 22:31:55 3,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    On paper, the GFLOPS put it slightly ahead no? Like I said, can't wait to see real world games tests.
    It sounds like both consoles will have approximate parity, in terms of the way CPU and GPU* manifest on screen but they will go about it in fundamentally different ways. XBSX will be like a sledge hammer, getting there through sheer grunt while the PS5 will be more like a scalpel, achieving the same results, but with a finer level of finesse. I guess you can think of it like Pre-Intel Mac's v PC's at the time. Same results, but the Mac got there using less clocks/power. The one big different here is though, it seems like the XBSX could well be costlier than the PS5.

* 3D Audio / Tempest is the potential secret sauce

Edited by Ron_Justice at 22:33:38 18-03-2020
  • Carlo 18 Mar 2020 22:36:52 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My Sony Gold's Virtual 7.1 sound was a massive jaw-dropping experience for me when I got them, and really sold me on the idea of quality positional sound.

The Tempest Chip/Software has got me more excited than the RT for the next gen.
  • mothercruncher 18 Mar 2020 22:40:34 17,734 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Wtf, I just noticed the other thread. Is this some kind of practice for the eventuality of him putting so many people on the list he only talks to himself?
    Heís going to pedal so hard because heís got a thing and itís got his little name on it, bless.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.