Following Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 Page 3

• JamboWayOh 25 Sep 2019 09:25:44 18,792 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Itís no different to stuff like Dead Rising 4, Astroneer, etc, on Xbox. 1 year exclusivity seems to be pretty normal normal, more on MSís side though.

And itís only the survival mode, not the full Spec Ops. It wasnít much of a big deal back in MW3, it wasnít all that popular based on how often itís talked about.
    C'mon Derbs, witholding part of a game that is on sale for all platforms isn;t the same as having a game on one platform for exclusivity.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Sep 2019 09:27:15 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also Activision have history of doing it with destiny.
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2019 10:20:20 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, in Destiny it was a Strike, right?
  • Frogofdoom 25 Sep 2019 10:27:12 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah and an exotic weapon and 3 armour sets for forsaken. Launch had 2 strikes I think but memory is a bit hazy.

Edit: was one at launch with a few other bits and bobs

Edited by Frogofdoom at 10:28:19 25-09-2019
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2019 10:29:53 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    C'mon Derbs, witholding part of a game that is on sale for all platforms isn;t the same as having a game on one platform for exclusivity.
    It's not the same, no. I'm not sure which you're suggesting is worse though:

Paying for an entire 3rd party product to be exclusive for 12 months, or...
    Paying for one modifier of one mode in a 3rd party product to be exclusive for 12 months?

It kinda feels like people moaning purely because the deal exists, regardless of how much they care about the details of it. Up until today I hadn't even seen anyone speculating about the hope of playing Survival.

If you don't want to buy it because you don't get to play Spec Ops Survival despite having access to the campaign, Specs Ops missions and full MP suite that's cool. Stick by your guns and vote with your wallet, naught wrong with that.
    If you want to play the rest of the game but ignore Survival, jump in, or wait until it's all available.

Exclusivity is a thing.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Sep 2019 10:34:27 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not hard to see why people are pissed.

Paying for an exclusive game is fine, removing part of a developed game for other platforms is shit and should be called out. Especially a game where cross platform game is being championed.
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2019 10:39:45 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm not saying I don't understand but it's the same argument regurgitated, and it's a mode that nobody cared about until they were told they weren't getting it.
    I don't see the difference in full game vs. part of game: it's all content that is paid to be kept from a group of players.

Cross-platform play is irrelevant - the people that will actually impact in Survival are the PS4 players.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Sep 2019 10:42:18 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok then we disagree and you find yourself in a small minority that thinks the practice is ok.
  • Derblington 25 Sep 2019 10:47:22 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think it's as OK as any paid exclusivity. You either have a problem with locking content from players or you don't.
    I find the distinction between what is acceptable to be exclusive and what isn't weird.

Ideally it would all go away but I get the business sense in it.

Letís be honest, ďruiningĒ is an exaggeration. Survival is 1% of the game. The other 99% is simultaneous day and date across all platforms. Iíd rather have everyone playing 99% of the content at the same time than 100% of the content some time later.
    From the dev, who's getting a ton of shit for decisions above his station, because internet.

Edited by Derblington at 10:49:47 25-09-2019
  • Malek86 25 Sep 2019 10:47:26 10,025 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think there's a difference with actual game exclusivity in that Xbox and PC players are being given less content for the same price.

(but if you wanna see the glass half full, you could say PS4 players are being given more content for the same price)
  • Malek86 25 Sep 2019 10:58:19 10,025 posts
    Seen 2 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Btw, pretty funny seeing the developer themselves admit that the exclusive content is like 1% of the game. You'd think Sony would want people to believe that it's an amazing mode that totally justifies buying the game on their platform over the competitors'.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Sep 2019 11:36:39 18,792 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I think there's a difference with actual game exclusivity in that Xbox and PC players are being given less content for the same price.

(but if you wanna see the glass half full, you could say PS4 players are being given more content for the same price)
    Aaaaand that is the issue. But it's OK, apparently. It's just business. It doesn't matter if it's a mode that 'not everyone' played, a week or a month is something that people could probably let go, but a year, especially a product that is released yearly, you could almost say it's a cynically motivated business deal.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:38:46 25-09-2019
  • Ror 25 Sep 2019 13:09:45 19,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The new consoles will be out by the time this exclusivity period is up, so a lot of Xbox players will probably never play it.

I suppose they new boxes will be backwards compatible, but I imagine the player shift to the next CoD will be bigger than usual, owing to the generational shift.
  • Frogofdoom 26 Sep 2019 07:37:09 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So imagine EA said with the new fifa that Liverpool were a ps4 timed exclusive but only for a year. They are a tiny part of the game experience not even 1 percent so everyone should be ok with it.
  • Daz190uk 26 Sep 2019 09:55:23 412 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The sad thing is that Activision will feel that none of this matters - the game will sell bucket loads on all platforms.

The extra marketing on the PS as part of these deals will, for them, far outweigh a tiny minority of gamers engaged in forums etc who don't buy the game over it.
  • KRadiation 26 Sep 2019 10:57:25 1,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    So imagine EA said with the new fifa that Liverpool were a ps4 timed exclusive but only for a year. They are a tiny part of the game experience not even 1 percent so everyone should be ok with it.
    Arent liverpool a key component of the premier league and champions league though?
  • Frogofdoom 26 Sep 2019 20:27:39 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not really, they are a small part of each competition and both competitions work fine in their absence.
  • KRadiation 26 Sep 2019 20:44:47 1,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Not really, they are a small part of each competition and both competitions work fine in their absence.
    Well I guess PES and Juve has already happened this year. And we typically have exclusive leagues locked off from the competition. So it's not uncommon in football games.

Edited by KRadiation at 20:45:33 26-09-2019
  • Frogofdoom 26 Sep 2019 20:58:47 16,223 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah and everyone hates it there too as it's all about money.
  • JoelStinty 16 Oct 2019 22:39:03 8,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe. Havenít played a cod game since Advanced Warfare so have the itch to play it. I like that theyíve gone back to cod 4, something that is seemingly slower and more grounded.

Having said that I donít know whether after a few hours I will just get bored by it and fall into old COD habits so still deciding whether to pick it up or not
  • Derblington 16 Oct 2019 22:45:49 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yah. I'll get my money out of the SP and co-op. Not sure how long I'll play MP.
    They've removed Prestige, apparently, and I'm still playing Apex weekly.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Oct 2019 00:13:55 8,401 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Was tempted by this and on the verge of a pre-order...

But... Acti-Bizz... China... nope.
  • Vortex808 17 Oct 2019 11:38:56 13,757 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The return of Price and the MW stuff has me interested, but I am still waiting to see if it's decent.

A quick blast through campaign, then a dabble in mp and back stick it on ebay probably if it's ok.
  • HairyArse 17 Oct 2019 12:13:49 1,392 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wasn't that bothered until the reveal of the 4 player co-op Spec Ops mode.
  • JoelStinty 17 Oct 2019 20:05:15 8,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Infinity Ward have released a statement regarding monetisation:

A message from the Call of Duty team.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is almost here. From the moment this project began three years ago, the energy has been extraordinary.

Weíve set our sights on not only creating the best game possible this year, but also on breaking down walls and bringing the community together. Starting with Modern Warfare, we will be:

∑ Introducing crossplay to unite the community across platforms for the first time.

∑ Removing Season Pass and a la carte DLC multiplayer map packs to ensure everyone can play together.

∑ Delivering free post-launch multiplayer maps and modes for all players.

∑ Releasing post-launch multiplayer maps and modes simultaneously on all platforms.

We are excited about what these changes will bring to Call of Duty players. That said, we also recognize there is one more topic that many fans are interested to learn more about.

Today, letís address the basics for the in-game economy coming in Modern Warfare.

∑ We are introducing a new Battle Pass system, not a loot box system.

∑ All functional content that has an impact on game balance, such as base weapons and attachments, can be unlocked simply by playing the game.

∑ The new Battle Pass system will allow players to see the content that they are earning or buying. Battle Passes will launch timed to new, post-launch live seasons, so you can unlock cool new Modern Warfare-themed content that matches each season.

∑ With the new Battle Pass system, players will be able to earn COD Points by playing the game.

∑ There will be both a Free Stream and a Premium Stream of content in the Battle Pass System in Modern Warfare. New base weapons will be earned through gameplay, simply by playing Modern Warfare. Functional attachments for base weapons can be unlocked through gameplay as well just like in the gameís Beta.

∑ The Battle Pass and the In-Game Store will feature a variety of cosmetic content that does not impact game balance.

The Battle Pass System for Modern Warfare will not launch when the game releases on October 25th. Hereís why: First and foremost, we are all focused on making the Day One experience awesome. Second, itís important to us that everyone who is playing Modern Warfare has the chance to work their way through the new game and unlock all the rewards that are waiting for you. We expect to launch this system for Modern Warfare later this year.

Understandably there are still questions around how the economy will evolve throughout the post-launch, live seasons. We recognize this will take time to fully demonstrate. Please know we are committed to delivering a fair system guided by the principles weíve outlined here, and will continue to monitor feedback and player engagement to help us achieve that goal.

Please look for more information on the live seasons and post-release content plans for Modern Warfare throughout the year and beyond.

We are looking forward to playing in just a few days.

Thank you.
  • Derblington 17 Oct 2019 21:23:38 32,924 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It sounds like a pretty standard BP system. Can't really fault that, it's the norm now, and creating something that generates money and avoids all non-cosmetic content isn't easy.
  • JoelStinty 17 Oct 2019 21:30:25 8,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think in general BPís work both ways for players and the company. Company gets money, players get something they can engage with.

Obviously that can be abused but we will have to see. Cautiously optimistic!
  • Deleted user 18 October 2019 00:17:35
    Think I'll get this. Not played a cod in years so will just go for the standard edition digital. I can get it for £43 on xbox so not too shabby. I'll suck ass at MP as usual but hopefully the campaign is decent enough.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.