Planning a camping trip. Page 3

• THFourteen 6 Sep 2019 11:29:25 53,839 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This sounds like my idea of absolute hell.

Enjoy!
  • minky-kong 6 Sep 2019 11:32:15 14,598 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

In five months, some of you are going to feel pretty foolish.
    Quoting for posterity.
  • elstoof 6 Sep 2019 11:40:39 25,870 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

Secondly, next year maybe i'll write Kotaku in the Nairobi desert with palm trees.
    Nairobi is a city
  • Pipedream 6 Sep 2019 11:45:30 550 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    These have probably been mentioned,

Wet wipes, gravity water filters, small quick drying towels to keep your feet dry, compass, head torch, bum bag, light sticks for emergencies, basic first aid
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:00:45 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

In five months, some of you are going to feel pretty foolish.
    Quoting for posterity.
    Good. Also, just so people know i'm not especially skilled at photoshop as i don't want any accusations coming my way in February.

• wuntyate 6 Sep 2019 12:13:05 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime As someone who lives in the highlands and hears reports almost daily of ill-prepared and over confident hillwalkers needing rescued / going missing / being found dead. All I can say is if you're not taking the piss then plan this properly. I've also had to print a couple of orders of service in the last few months of very (and I do mean very) experienced climbers on relatively straight forward routes dying. Early Feb is also probably the worst time you could have possibly picked. If you go up at the wrong time of year, ill-prepared and without the proper gear all you're going to do is waste time and resources of those who have to go out to try and find you.

Looking at your first post all I can say is that fucking about for 7-10 days up here is not something that should be attempted just because you know someone who is "a bit outdoorsy".
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2019 12:15:44 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    If it's snowing, i'll write Eurogamer in the snow in the background.
    Remember not to eat the yellow snow when you're done. No matter how dehydrated you are!
    There's a Witcher III loading screen that basically says that. Maybe all that time spent playing video games really has prepared me for this.

Genuinely though, expect that picture by mid-February.
    Will that be the local obituary page?
  • Load_2.0 6 Sep 2019 12:21:25 31,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You're 100% going to die.

At this point I'm 50/50 on it being one of the animals you intend to "hunt" or your companion hammering a tent peg into your frontal lobe.

The animals I consider can best you in fight for survival range from badger to trout.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2019 12:22:28 10,023 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The captain of the moonraker is a pretty big deal to be honest. They'd probably send the rescue blimp.
    *Moonracer
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:23:30 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Thanks for the input, seriously. It's good to hear from someone who has experience with this sort of thing, and perhaps expectations need to be tempered somewhat on my and my friend's end.

But let me assure you we are not skimping at all on the equipment. We're still researching tents that are capable of withstanding the sorts of wind and cold we are expecting, same with sleeping bags, insulating mats etc. When it comes to gear, we will be prepared.

Where we will be lacking is in experience, but that is something we're trying to build up. Okay, at the moment we only have one ten mile walk around Chelmsford to our name, but when our boots arrive we'll look at more difficult terrain, carrying our gear.

Orienteering is a skill i already posses, so i'm confident we won't get lost or anything like that, and it's not like we're going to a prison. 7-10 days is a guideline. If we get up there and after a day we are really struggling, we'll just leave.

If i seriously feel like i'm going to die, i won't do it.

Edited by Rodimus-Prime at 12:24:34 06-09-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2019 12:23:42 10,023 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Imagine getting there and discovering the ground isn't level enough to play Pogs in the downtime between pounding each other
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2019 12:24:20 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Load_2.0

Are Starlings in that range?
  • wuntyate 6 Sep 2019 12:27:03 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime You can have the best gear in the world and die a cold and miserable death on your first night. I'm not the one you need to assure. To be honest I witness enough stupid bastards getting airlifted off the mountains. Another couple won't make any difference.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2019 12:27:07 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Imagine getting there and discovering the ground isn't level enough to play Pogs in the downtime between pounding each other
    Ahhh man that made me chuckle. Merci PES.
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:31:19 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People have been underestimating me my whole life.

My golf teacher didn't think i could finish a round 5 under par at the Warren, but i showed him.

My F+T teacher didn't think i could make an upsidedowncake without it collapsing, but i showed her.

My girlfriend didn't think i could get the guy from Sky to lower my TV/internet bill, but i showed her as well.

My life has been a series of challenges that i have risen to, and as god as my witness, i will rise all 1,020 metres of Ladhar Bhienn. I will survive a week in the mountains, and i will come right back here and gloat about it to all you doubting Thomases.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Sep 2019 12:31:19 9,028 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The best thing about a plan like this is that even if it works, you still get to spend a week shitting in a plastic bag in the freezing cold.

Agree with THFourteen that this is the absolute definition of hell.
  • wuntyate 6 Sep 2019 12:33:35 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    I will survive a week in the mountains, and i will come right back here and gloat about it to all you doubting Thomases.
    I think you overestimate how many fucks we give.
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:34:14 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon

No, the best thing about a plan like this, is that if i don't die of cold in my sleep, i'll wake up to a sight like this.

Not everyone is cut out to be an adventurer though.

• JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2019 12:34:28 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    People have been underestimating me my whole life.

My golf teacher didn't think i could finish a round 5 under par at the Warren, but i showed him.

My F+T teacher didn't think i could make an upsidedowncake without it collapsing, but i showed her.

My girlfriend didn't think i could get the guy from Sky to lower my TV/internet bill, but i showed her as well.

My life has been a series of challenges that i have risen to, and as god as my witness, i will rise all 1,020 metres of Ladhar Bhienn. I will survive a week in the mountains, and i will come right back here and gloat about it to all you doubting Thomases.
    Rod has seen things, people. He's seen things and come through them, battle hardened. I believe it was also said that he'd never be able to fuck Cynthia Rothrock....but here we are.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Sep 2019 12:35:37 10,023 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Needless to say, Rod had the last laugh
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:37:49 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    I will survive a week in the mountains, and i will come right back here and gloat about it to all you doubting Thomases.
    I think you overestimate how many fucks we give.
    I think i also overstimated the value of your opinion. I didn't really read your first post properly, and so didn't realise that your experience with this is that you just read about men who dared to be greater in your local paper.

My apologies.

I thank you for your input regardless.
  • wuntyate 6 Sep 2019 12:39:17 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime Yes, that's exactly my experience and wasn't just something that I wrote as an example of how dangerous conditions can be. You fucking fud.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Sep 2019 12:39:59 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooooh....
  • minky-kong 6 Sep 2019 12:43:12 14,598 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Realistically I imagine this going like Mark Corrigan in the Quantocks, he'll fall into a small ravine on the first night, get attacked by a crow trying to protect it's eggs, and then return sodden to the nearest hotel the following morning.
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:44:47 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, that's good, because i genuinely thought it would be like a stroll through central park and that we'd probably manage it in flip flops and a t-shirt.

And then when you get to the top of the mountain, there'd be a waterslide that takes you all the way back down and directly to the gift shop.

I don't doubt that there are idiots and i am dreadfully sorry that they're a drain on your local resources. I, however, am made of sterner stuff. And i would thank you to not get pissy at the mere thought that i will come through this experience unscathed.
  • minky-kong 6 Sep 2019 12:44:54 14,598 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ...or return sodimised by his outdoorsy friend.
  • askew 6 Sep 2019 12:45:12 21,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I expect your view will be more like this:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3mNXtY19zXNxqJnd8

I couldn't find the mountain hut I was supposed to be staying in up near Eyjafjallajökull because the visibility had gone to shit and the cloud was down low. I had map, compass, GPS, and was pretty worried about putting a foot wrong. I found the one patch of snow free rock (and moss) and set up for the night.

This was the view the next morning…
  • wuntyate 6 Sep 2019 12:47:23 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime Sorry if I came across as pissy. I just have anger management issues with delusional morons. Have a great time chief! One day I hope to dare to be great. Meantime I'll just sit in wonder at truly great men. great. Have a great time. A GREAT time.
  • Load_2.0 6 Sep 2019 12:48:16 31,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    ...or return sodimised by his outdoorsy friend.
    Outdoorsy is slang for knowing the best spots for dumping a corpse.
  • Rodimus-Prime 6 Sep 2019 12:49:39 385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No problem, consider yourself forgiven.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.