Japan Rugby World Cup 2019

First Previous
  • swede 16 Sep 2019 13:10:34 508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Thought I would create a thread - couldn't find one.

Predictions?

On paper, it's the most difficult ever to call, with 5 countries in real contention...

I think Japan have a great opportunity to prove themselves, being hosts as well, definitely looking forward to seeing their attacking rugby at work again.
  • TechnoHippy 16 Sep 2019 13:12:04 15,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll be patriotic and hope that England can do it, although I suspect we'll come close and stumble at the last hurdle.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Sep 2019 13:12:41 7,937 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New Zealand
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 13:30:27 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looking forward to it, I expect some good old fashioned glorious failure from Scotland. Annoying that I arrive in Japan on the final weekend, originally would have been there during the WC but bloody work postponed our release date :(
  • Ddanno 16 Sep 2019 13:34:35 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    NZ actually look slightly vulnerable. I think it's still them or SA though, with both of them in the final.

I don't fancy England due to selection and injury debacles - SH, TH are a mess and we've taken enough doubtful players carrying injuries that we have only 25 available players to pick from for the first match. Shame, because we've looked seriously strong at times this year.
  • Alastair 16 Sep 2019 13:37:10 23,816 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SH, TH?
  • Ddanno 16 Sep 2019 13:40:36 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    SH, TH?
    Scrum-half, Tighthead prop

Ben Youngs has about one game in every ten where he's actually good. Heinz is fine but that's all: he does the basics solidly but there's no real point of difference.
    Jones has not made any effort to find and develop a third SH these last four years (despite Spencer having a great 18/19 season, Dan Robson being in great form before getting a call up two years late, and Maunder looking very promising for Exeter)

We've taken two tightheads, including the traffic bollard that is Dan Cole, with Marler as 'emergency' cover.

Edited by Ddanno at 13:45:42 16-09-2019
  • Alastair 16 Sep 2019 13:42:29 23,816 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    OK. I did think it might be scrum half. But didn't make the TH = tighthead prop link.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 13:46:47 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone but England ever more than usual as Eddie Jones is an almighty cock!
    Hopefully no Kiwi victory either, their behaviour when losing to the French in the final before was well pathetic (the fans).
  • Bichii 16 Sep 2019 15:05:24 1,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Such a sad pathetic comment. I've thought things like that before but it was when I was a teenager.

NZ or SA with England and Wales long outsiders. Think I've got nearly every England game off.
  • askew 16 Sep 2019 15:25:52 19,962 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What times will we need to be getting up in the morning?
  • Ddanno 16 Sep 2019 16:03:30 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Kick offs are from 8am to 11am UK time I think
  • Alastair 16 Sep 2019 16:06:53 23,816 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Anyone but Scotland ever more than usual as ecosse is an almighty cock!
  • sport 16 Sep 2019 16:10:22 15,262 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's no way England are outsiders. I'm reasonably confident it'll go to a NH team this time round, either England, Wales or Ireland (although they look really out of form this year).
  • creepiest-lizard 16 Sep 2019 16:13:32 754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Such a sad pathetic comment. I've thought things like that before but it was when I was a teenager.

NZ or SA with England and Wales long outsiders. Think I've got nearly every England game off.
    That sadsack is always making anti-England comments. He's one of those (thankfully, few) scottish people that seem to think its fine to hate an entire country but based on...who knows? maybe he watched Braveheart in his formative years or something
  • Alastair 16 Sep 2019 16:15:19 23,816 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ireland #1 in the world, right?
    Wales were there too.
    So erm, yeah, I think sport has a fair point.

We've all become conditioned to New Zealand beating everyone all the time..
    Could go either way.

Shit, I'm turning into superbob, but with punctuation.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 16 Sep 2019 16:20:28 21,092 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

That sadsack is always making anti-England comments. He's one of those (thankfully, few) scottish people that seem to think its fine to hate an entire country but based on...who knows? maybe he watched Braveheart in his formative years or something
    He's got nothing left but his bitterness and his overpriced gadgets to fill that big empty hole where his personality should be.

Absolute fucking mollusc.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 Sep 2019 16:27:14 7,937 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Wales were there too.

Could go either way.

Ireland are top by 0.07 points with new Zealand behind. (2.2 points separate the top 5)

It being played in Japan, I imagine there is a lot more uncertainty, so it could really be anyone (superbob).

I would like an England v South Africa final, but I cant look past New Zealand.
  • sport 16 Sep 2019 16:29:35 15,262 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Wales were there too.

Could go either way.

Although I'd never count them out, NZ are no where near as threatening as they used to be.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 16:36:31 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

Eddie Jones is an oboxious and you won't find a non-English rugby fan that disagrees. Not sure how that equates to hating an entire country but whatever...
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 16:37:39 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Anyone but Scotland ever more than usual as ecosse is an almighty cock!
    Fair dos :)
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Sep 2019 16:38:16 11,291 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck off ecosse, you rancid bubo.
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 16:39:58 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If Scotland don't get through the group, probs Japan will have their place and I'd love them to do really well.

Could see England or Wales doing it tbh.
  • creepiest-lizard 16 Sep 2019 16:51:28 754 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

Eddie Jones is an oboxious and you won't find a non-English rugby fan that disagrees. Not sure how that equates to hating an entire country but whatever...
    You know all the comments you've made which display your sentiments. At least have the dignity to not deny it now you slimy little shit
  • Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 17:11:24 27,440 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Bichii wrote:

You know all the comments you've made which display your sentiments. At least have the dignity to not deny it now you slimy little shit
    You're boring me and shitting up the thread.
    Stop typing.
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Sep 2019 17:25:01 11,291 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now post something homophobic and then complain you're being bullied and the pathology is complete.
  • grey_matters 16 Sep 2019 18:07:54 4,817 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If England hook everything up, they'll win it. Otherwise southern hemisphere.

Ireland and Wales have a chance, Wales more so. I can't see Ireland making the semifinals (yet again), NZ or SA await if they win the group and that's not guaranteed at all.
  • swede 16 Sep 2019 21:11:07 508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    If Scotland don't get through the group, probs Japan will have their place and I'd love them to do really well.

I think Scotland Japan will be interesting. Realistically Japan will probably be targeting that match as their make or break, and could cause an upset.

Japan beating SA last time is my favourite ever rugby moment. England winning was great and all, but really we should have easily outclassed the Aussies on that day... Japan going for the win rather than the draw, and then pulling off an amazing try....pure joy.
  • sport 16 Sep 2019 21:28:17 15,262 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

I think Scotland Japan will be interesting. Realistically Japan will probably be targeting that match as their make or break, and could cause an upset.

Japan beating SA last time is my favourite ever rugby moment. England winning was great and all, but really we should have easily outclassed the Aussies on that day... Japan going for the win rather than the draw, and then pulling off an amazing try....pure joy.
    Fun fact: In the TV coverage for that match, my cousin is one of saffas the camera focuses on during the match. He didn't look happy.
  • Load_2.0 16 Sep 2019 21:29:29 29,927 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Should be a few upsets. Would like to see the Argentinians get up but it's a tough pool.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.