Japan Rugby World Cup 2019 Page 2

• Armoured_Bear 16 Sep 2019 21:32:35 27,440 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    If Scotland don't get through the group, probs Japan will have their place and I'd love them to do really well.

Could see England or Wales doing it tbh.
    I think Scotland Japan will be interesting. Realistically Japan will probably be targeting that match as their make or break, and could cause an upset.

Japan beating SA last time is my favourite ever rugby moment. England winning was great and all, but really we should have easily outclassed the Aussies on that day... Japan going for the win rather than the draw, and then pulling off an amazing try....pure joy.
    Aye, Japan is the country I'd be happier to lose to and can see it happening.
    I'd rather they beat the Irish but I know what's likelier :(
  • Load_2.0 16 Sep 2019 21:35:05 29,927 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Ireland #1 in the world, right?
    Wales were there too.
    So erm, yeah, I think sport has a fair point.

We've all become conditioned to New Zealand beating everyone all the time..
    Could go either way.

Shit, I'm turning into superbob, but with punctuation.
    Although I'd never count them out, NZ are no where near as threatening as they used to be.
    jislaaik!

Boks will get gat velle brand!
  • sport 16 Sep 2019 21:38:45 15,262 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Ireland #1 in the world, right?
    Wales were there too.
    So erm, yeah, I think sport has a fair point.

We've all become conditioned to New Zealand beating everyone all the time..
    Could go either way.

Shit, I'm turning into superbob, but with punctuation.
    Although I'd never count them out, NZ are no where near as threatening as they used to be.
    jislaaik!

Boks will get gat velle brand!
    Listen my china, I'm not giving our okes much of a chance either. But fects is fects!

Good luck though bru.
  • Load_2.0 16 Sep 2019 21:43:26 29,927 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Too early for braai on Saturday.

Boerewors eggs benedict?
  • RyanDS 16 Sep 2019 21:47:28 12,882 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    If Scotland don't get through the group, probs Japan will have their place and I'd love them to do really well.

I think Scotland Japan will be interesting. Realistically Japan will probably be targeting that match as their make or break, and could cause an upset.

Japan beating SA last time is my favourite ever rugby moment. England winning was great and all, but really we should have easily outclassed the Aussies on that day... Japan going for the win rather than the draw, and then pulling off an amazing try....pure joy.
    Still the best game I have ever attended. Even if we lost.

I had tickets for nz sa, and quarter finals but gave them up a few weeks back. I was planning to head to japan, but the tickets I got were too far apart, and honestly i just dont have faith in south africa at the moment. So cancelled japan trip for cheaper vietnam later in the year.

I have an awful feeling it will be nz again this year.
  • sport 16 Sep 2019 21:56:55 15,262 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Too early for braai on Saturday.

Boerewors eggs benedict?
    Biltong is prepped and ready to go, chom!
  • Bichii 17 Sep 2019 07:37:29 1,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm so excited for this world cup. I've got all the England games off and I might get up for the Australia game at 6am Saturday :/. Then after that is NZ v SA, good times. Plus it's all on normal TV which is a nice bonus.
  • docrob 17 Sep 2019 21:31:07 1,221 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    swede wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Aye, Japan is the country I'd be happier to lose to and can see it happening.
    I'd rather they beat the Irish but I know what's likelier :(
    I really don’t see Scotland losing to Japan. We beat them handily last time after their big upset, and we have a better team now. We played Georgia away the other week - the first time they had ever played a T1 nation at home - and won that handily as well.

I’m tempting fate of course, but I’m not concerned about Japan. Samoa, on the other hand, always give us a close game at a RWC and nearly beat us in 2015.

Doesn’t matter much as we won’t get past the QF anyway (either SA or NZ)
  • swede 18 Sep 2019 13:59:47 508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Agreed, on paper Scotland should be favourites.
    However as it's their last group game, it depends on how all the other games go, but if Japan and Scotland go into that final pool game having both losing (only to) Ireland... home advantage... crunch time?

Of course, all speculation and who knows how any of those games will go, it's certainly a tough group.

2 days to go. I can't wait.
  • docrob 18 Sep 2019 20:07:29 1,221 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Agreed, on paper Scotland should be favourites.
    However as it's their last group game, it depends on how all the other games go, but if Japan and Scotland go into that final pool game having both losing (only to) Ireland... home advantage... crunch time?

Of course, all speculation and who knows how any of those games will go, it's certainly a tough group.

2 days to go. I can't wait.
    Scotland’s form has been erratic against T1 sides, certainly (especially away from home), but we’re not vulnerable against lower ranked sides. Since the last RWC began, we’ve lost once away to Fiji and once away to the USA, but with a significantly weakened team on both occasions. We’ve won every other game v T2 opposition fairly easily, including home and away against Georgia recently (generally reckoned to be the strongest T2 side). We haven’t lost to Italy once in that period either (7 wins).
  • Gibroon 18 Sep 2019 21:51:05 2,166 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The one thing the T1 sides have over many other countries is discipline. So many lower ranking teams give away penalties at crucial times.
    Looking forward to the world cup. But will probably miss out on a few due to the times.
  • Dougs 20 Sep 2019 11:54:08 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Great start for Russia
  • lordofthedunce 20 Sep 2019 12:13:24 597 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm expecting Russia to have that extra energy towards the end of the match ;)
  • swede 20 Sep 2019 12:46:16 508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    I'm expecting Russia to have that extra energy towards the end of the match ;)
    :D

Russia have been playing out of their skins, but Japan's errors have cost them.

I suspect Japan will be pull ahead in the 2nd half. That was definitely a forward pass though.
  • Dougs 20 Sep 2019 13:28:13 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Definitely, weird how that wasn't pulled back
  • Ddanno 20 Sep 2019 16:21:54 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Scotland are probably resting a little easier after that, although with how similarly they and Japan both play it could be a godawful scrumfest if they both have a bad/wet/humid game.
  • swede 20 Sep 2019 17:27:16 508 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Great line up of games tomorrow. Is it worth getting up at 5.30 for Aus-Fiji though?

Maybe a half asleep watch on the ipad for me...

Got a funny feeling SA might win it tomorrow though...?
  • Ddanno 20 Sep 2019 17:36:06 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    swede wrote:
    Great line up of games tomorrow. Is it worth getting up at 5.30 for Aus-Fiji though?

I'll probably watch it after the others.

I tend to agree that SA will win. They've picked their strongest squad, have a lot of momentum from their win in the RC and NZ have a habit of looking a bit slow in their pool games.
  • docrob 20 Sep 2019 17:52:00 1,221 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    swede wrote:

I tend to agree that SA will win. They've picked their strongest squad, have a lot of momentum from their win in the RC and NZ have a habit of looking a bit slow in their pool games.
    NZ have never lost a pool game in RWC history, IIRC
  • lordofthedunce 20 Sep 2019 18:05:33 597 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    swede wrote:

This was the fixture I saw at the Millennium Stadium last RWC. It wasn't all that tbh. If Fiji turn up though it'll have a bit of bite to it at least, they're some big lads.
  • Dougs 20 Sep 2019 19:25:28 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    3 great games tomorrow. I'll probably catch some of the France game but the others I'll either be in bed or out and about. Is there a highlights programme on ITV?!
  • eleven63 20 Sep 2019 19:34:32 2,545 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Starts in September, finishes in November. Blimey!

Pubs around here, E17, all opening early for the England game. It's going to be a long day for some...
  • elstoof 20 Sep 2019 19:46:47 24,102 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kick off at 11:15, not that early
  • Ddanno 20 Sep 2019 20:08:40 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Ddanno wrote:
    swede wrote:

NZ have never lost a pool game in RWC history, IIRC
    They've also never had a resurgent South Africa in their group before. Their last group in 2015 was something like Namibia, Tonga, Italy, Canada
  • Ddanno 20 Sep 2019 20:10:23 1,413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Starts in September, finishes in November. Blimey!

Pubs around here, E17, all opening early for the England game. It's going to be a long day for some...
    They are? If you have tips on a good breakfast pub I'd be grateful
  • elstoof 21 Sep 2019 06:51:00 24,102 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like a cracker between aus Fiji, might even be tempted to get out of bed for second half
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2019 06:52:02 53,012 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It’s been decent.
  • Dougs 21 Sep 2019 07:28:16 90,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Only watched the last 20 but it's been tremendously entertaining
  • lordofthedunce 21 Sep 2019 07:28:56 597 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fiji couldn't compete in the second half
  • THFourteen 21 Sep 2019 07:48:46 53,012 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did the Australian coach actually just say “awww yeah”

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.