The Surge 2 Page 9

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2019 22:57:31 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep "Soulslike" appears to be the emerging favorite. Kinda figures, given we have "Roguelike" and Dark Souls has been at least as influential as Rogue.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2019 23:02:52 22,834 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Funny thing is that I have always disliked the 'like' addition to rogue or whatever but I feel like I will have to embrace it where these games. It just feels a little bit like gate being added to everything.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2019 23:08:54 21,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the combat a noticeable step up from the first? I tried it again today and just can't get on with it. Way too spongy and unresponsive for my tastes.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2019 23:10:54 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Decks The biggest changes from the first game are the removal of the weird jump/duck system and the addition of the directional parry. Taken together, they're a pretty big step up. Also, defensive/turtle styles are more viable now, as are ranged-focused styles with the right gear-set.

Plus it just feels better all-round.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2019 23:15:26 22,834 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Not really, no. There is more variety in weapons with the addition of swords and the like but it is still the same combat model.

It does feel impactful but also a bit weirdly weightless at times. Same as the first. Damage and death is often weird as it is not always clear what is hitting what and at what point.

It is also easy to get carried away with attack strings. What I would say is that once one gets further in with upgrades and the like it is easier to get carried away and not get destroyed.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2019 23:18:40 22,834 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hah. All of those things Roguey says are true. It still feels like the first game for the most part but that might be play style.
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Oct 2019 23:51:50 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    "Death simulators"?
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Oct 2019 23:53:19 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Plus it now has slow motion decapitations, leg rippings off, and torso splittings in two.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Oct 2019 23:57:49 22,834 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Death simulator is my favourite so far.
  • StaffyDog 6 Oct 2019 18:06:40 1,567 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Glad to see wunty enjoying this, I don't need to read reviews 😀
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 12:30:35 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've comprehensively re-geared. Heavy armour build was rubbing up too harshly against my instinct to play this fairly agile. So I'm now in full Chrysalis gear, using the corrupted katana as my usual weapon. Chrysalis is light armour, which has a +20% nano damage boost as its 3-set bonus (and a stacking damage buff when you get kills as the 6-set). As the sword has a heavy nano-damage effect itself, this means it's great for stacking up the debuff on trash mobs.

Only downsides are that it won't work on nano-enemies and makes breaking limbs a bit harder. So I'm still keeping the hammer upgraded for those situations.

Fought and killed an optional Delver. Pretty nasty fight, but got it down after a few attempts.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Oct 2019 13:10:09 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StaffyDog Oh I am. Very much.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Oct 2019 13:11:17 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon What Delver was it btw? the one in the underground or the other one in downtown?

I'm using that katana too it's awesome. That and the Gaia spear.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 13:43:18 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The one in downtown. I bypassed the underground one originally - can go back for it later.

Feeling much, much better about my build now I'm on light armour + sword. Was constantly fighting for stamina in my heavy build. Stamina's fine now, I just need to avoid taking damage - lots of dodges to get out of the range of enemy attacks, then bouncing back in to land some hits.
  • wuntyphyve 7 Oct 2019 13:53:48 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Ha so did I, I wasn't ready to fight that one!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 13:59:59 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, even though it was annoying the shit out of me in the first game, I had to smile when Warren started singing "I was born... in a prison".
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 18:20:19 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh fuck yes, my new spec is paying dividends. Got Mother Celeste down on the first attempt, basically by keeping agile, parrying her charges and sneaking in quick attacks between hers.

Then went back for a rematch with the Delver (Phase 2 type) in the underground. Previously, I'd put in maybe half a dozen attempts on this with no real progress to show for it. Had been utterly starved for stamina and not able to exploit openings even when I created it. This time around, I danced around it, chose when I wanted to evade or parry and got it down in the rematch first time.
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Oct 2019 20:48:00 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @rogueywon and wunty - cowards! ;)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 7 Oct 2019 22:44:34 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MiniSchnauz I was just plain in the wrong spec first time I met him. I'm not sure how viable the heavy specs really are in this (though it might just be me missing something). For those fast moving bosses, when I was in heavy gear, I spent the whole fight on the verge of stamina depletion and even when I managed a parry-stun, or to dodge a move that gave a nice counter window, I just didn't have the stamina to exploit it.

Going back with a decently-levelled set of Operator-class gear and a fast weapon and I utterly creamed him. I then realised that the third version of that boss spawns in the exact same place, but is based on the Phase 1 form and hence is utter cake. Beat that and got the achivement.

Just done the second audiologs sidequest in Gideon's Rock. Getting some level 10 drops now, so hopefully have my gear maxed out soon. Pretty sure I want to stick with the spec/build I have, so it's just a case of upgrading it.

Edited by Rogueywon at 22:45:53 07-10-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Oct 2019 22:58:35 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rogueywon I'm just teasing but I'm really glad you have a build you like now.

I think the heavy builds would require almost everything in stamina. You've got the higher defence to mitigate health loss and need to keep battery up with your implants but that's it(?)

I don't see the point in being tanky though when you have agility and parry on your side so maybe it's a lot more face-first combat style?
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Oct 2019 23:02:02 22,834 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Some of us don't have parry on our side due to cack reactions and reading of attacks.

I tend to tank things quite a bit, I have 3 heavy pieces and 3 medium pieces and it seems okay stamina wise. I do mash heal quite a lot but I have a very battery aggressive build so I can get quite far with this method.
  • wuntyphyve 8 Oct 2019 00:56:22 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Killed that second delver. Don't like that fast phase so I just shot his face off. Not gone back to Nixon yet as there's just so much other stuff to do and explore having a great old time. Got all my gear up to mk9 though which is nice.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 10:18:00 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got Goddess Helena down this morning on the first attempt. Breezed through the first 50% of her health bar without breaking a sweat, then bogged down when she goes into her empowered mode. Couldn't seem to find any windows to get more than the very occasional attack in... until I remembered that charged attacks break shields. Once I remembered that, she went down very quickly indeed. Felt a bit gentle for a late-game boss.
  • MiniSchnauz 8 Oct 2019 14:10:38 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rogueywon That is my main complaint with the late game. Between 'Stand by for Titanfall' and the final battle, all the bosses are reused content. The delvers, HaRoLD, and Helena are all fights you've seen by the time you encounter them. Oh, tell a lie, there's fairy godmother at the church but she's ridiculously easy.
  • MiniSchnauz 8 Oct 2019 14:12:01 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Out of interest, if anyone is past the church of the spark, did you have to refight little Jonny again?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:06:16 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MiniSchnauz Nope. I murdered his severed head at some point.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:06:35 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And finished. Fucking superb game.
  • MiniSchnauz 8 Oct 2019 15:12:00 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @Rogueywon Same here. I am just wondering what happens if you don't.

Edit: And congrats!

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 15:12:25 08-10-2019
  • wuntyphyve 8 Oct 2019 15:42:25 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Nice one! Just read your review in the other thread, think that will probably mirror my own opinion. I cannot believe how fucking good they have got this. Still no patch to sort out how shit it looks but I find I'm long past caring. It's too enjoyable to play.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 15:42:32 08-10-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Oct 2019 15:47:28 6,533 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Visuals are fine on PC, with three qualifications. First, performance isn't fantastic. I'm running on a 2080Ti and 9900k combo and still need to use the aggressive resolution scaling to get an acceptable framerate at 4k. Second, the colour-filters get applied a bit too aggressively, especially in Gideon's Rock. Third, no HDR... which is a real pity, because some of the environments would look great with it.

But I've played much worse looking games this year. Fingers crossed they sort the PS4 version soon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.