The Surge 2 Page 2

• wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 16:23:10 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's certainly worth keeping an eye on the sequel of a game that you found had next to no redeeming features whatsoever.
  • Cappy 24 Sep 2019 18:05:28 14,149 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whilst The Surge offers little in entertainment value the discomfort of it's vociferous defenders in response to mild criticisms of The Surge turns out to be quite entertaining.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 18:41:02 6,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Cappy Not quite my recollection. :)

I seem to remember you stumbled into the thread with some frankly random posts attacking the game for not containing guns. Once you had the piss roundly taken out of you by several other posters (self included), you retreated into the "hur hur I was just trolling joke's on you" defence. Anyway, people can judge for themselves (starts about 2/3rds of the way down).

The original Surge was a typical 7-8/10 kinda game. Good, worth playing, but not for everybody and with quite a few rough edges (some of which are discussed in that very thread).
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 18:44:48 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Indeed. We weren't defending a decidedly average game more than just being confused about your insistence it should have guns for no other reason than they exist so therefore it should.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 18:49:10 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reminds me I need to get back to the letters I'm writing to the developers of every game set since the invention of guns that don't include guns asking why they don't have guns because guns have been invented in the time period the game was set in so they should have guns and why don't they have guns and why can't I make friends with other people in their 30s why are there no guns for people in their thirties groups guns the surge guns guns guns.
  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2019 19:11:35 79,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmm.... just watched the Jimpressions video on this. It seems he had fairly similar opinions of the first one to me but absolutely jizzed his pants over this one. He's a big soulsborne fan and I don't think he could have been more enthusiastic.

Status upgraded from 'when it's free' to 'when it's on sale'
  • Deleted user 24 September 2019 19:11:36
    I should really give the first one a whirl.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 19:23:01 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun Just watched that. Think that's pushed me over into a purchase. Looking back at The Surge thread Rougey links above it seems I really did enjoy the first when I got properly stuck into it and that recollection coupled with Jims video makes me think I'm going to rather enjoy this.

Fuck it.
  • Cappy 24 Sep 2019 19:24:04 14,149 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As I said, you're becoming more entertaining than a piled up amalgamation of shit like The Surge ever could be. Thus, I'll be back to dump on it, again and again and again.

The Surge definitely should have guns by the way.
  • Deleted user 24 September 2019 19:26:32
    @wuntyphyve

I am avoiding any videos as I'm just a hopeless impulsive buyer.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 19:31:01 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy Knock yourself out. So long as you know nobody here is defending either game as staunchly as they are in the scenario you're manifesting in your head. But look, if you're having fun and it keeps you away from playing with whatever you find in the kitchen drawer then who are we to stand in your way.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 19:31:38 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__ *cough* Remnant *cough*

Yeah I gathered that :D
  • Deleted user 24 September 2019 19:35:29
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Addy__ *cough* Remnant *cough*

Yeah I gathered that :D
    Just don't reply to the melt. He's as moon faced as ecosse.

Yeah true. Remnant was a huge waste of money for me. Like I said I've got the surge already so I might just give it a whirl and see what I think. I reckon this sequel will be on game pass in a few months.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 19:36:07 21,771 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    As I said, you're becoming more entertaining than a piled up amalgamation of shit like The Surge ever could be. Thus, I'll be back to dump on it, again and again and again.

The Surge definitely should have guns by the way.
    Wow that's the most pathetic thing I've read in some time, well done.
  • AaronTurner 24 Sep 2019 19:38:30 11,516 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed the surge until I got to the first boss fight, and that completely ruined the game for me. If they’ve fixed the bosses then I might be up for the sequel.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 19:47:50 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy__ Yeah I'm gathering that. It's like remonstrating with a dog that's just eaten your soap and can't understand why it's shitting bubbles.

Aye, shame you didn't enjoy it/ For what it's worth in hindsight I shouldn't have bought it upon release as it's the very definition of "wait till it's cheap", but as I'd forked out the cash I stubbornly made sure I finished it.

The Surge is worth a look at at the very least. It does do quite a few things well, as I say, the level design I think is superb as is the emphasis on souls-like exploration over combat. I did struggle with it at first but it looks like I did really get into it once it clicked.
  • Blackmarsh63 24 Sep 2019 19:50:20 2,712 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Had a quick play earlier and can confirm heads can be kicked around a bit after detaching them :D
  • MiniSchnauz 24 Sep 2019 20:15:16 359 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Must... resist...

Enjoyed the first one immensely and found the tactical combat to be a lot more satisfying than From's efforts even if the bosses felt a bit closer to Nier: Automata than Soulsborne ones.

The original was on Plus a few months back and available through EA Access I think so always worth giving a shot.
  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2019 20:21:54 79,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, the bosses kind of felt like they were from a different game or at least done by a different team.

I used the thing that fell off the first boss for more or less the entire game because it did the best DPS and stunned pretty much every enemy. It actually felt overpowered.

However, it was completely fucking useless for every subsequent boss as it was far, far, far too slow to actually hit them.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 20:25:40 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    First two bosses and the last boss I thought were pretty good fights. The third boss was just a great big basket of willies and the fourth boss, if you didn't know what you were meant to do (like I didn't, until I looked up a guide), was a bit of a clusterfuck and full of cheap shots as well.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 20:26:47 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I've just ordered it from TGC anyway, so guess I'll find out in a couple of days. There's always webuyanypube.com if I don't get on with it.

Edit: I really should just edit my last post instead of making a new one. I'm such the height of just too much.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 20:27:31 24-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 20:56:54 6,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just played the first hour. Early thoughts:

- Technology seems decent. Image quality and performance both fairly good, though not cutting edge. Interesting that they've gone the Vulkan route on PC.

- Production values show their AA roots in places, for instance with static TV images in the background rather than animations. Not a huge deal, I guess.

- Combat feels fairly similar to the first game to begin with. It's pretty pacey, with a big emphasis on positioning.

- The big change I've seen so far is that blocking is much more viable than in the first game. It still slows your movement speed and locks your camera, but at least you can move and at least it reliably mitigates damage.

- I-frames still seem very limited by Soulslike standards, so dodging is more about positioning that it is about moving "through" attacks.

- Body-part targetting remains fun and pretty intuitive.

- The duck and jump moves from the first game are good. Good. They always felt redundant and just added a bit too much complexity to the controls.

- Not seen much environment variety yet, but I'm still in the opening area. This is something I'd really hoped they improved on from the first game, so fingers crossed things pick up.

- It expects you to pick things up pretty quickly. Not much handholding in the introductory section.
  • wuntyate 24 Sep 2019 21:52:39 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon cool man let me know impressions as you get further in. Interesting about blocking. Wasn't viable in the first game at all.
  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2019 21:58:35 79,448 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blocking was super-duper viable in the first one. With a heavy weapon, you could just stand there holding block and press the counter button on block for almost every enemy. It made those t-800s an absolute breeze.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 22:35:48 6,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's a new directional block mechanic that doubles as a Souls-style parry. Hold block and tap the right directional input as the enemy attack lands and you do the parry.

Edit: USGamer explains the directional parry. It's a neat mechanic, though I'm still not very good at it.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:06:22 24-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Sep 2019 23:30:02 6,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just played another 30 mins after completing Gears 5. This is good. Area design is very nice indeed. The energy mechanic has been twisted to add some new risk/reward trade-offs. More bosses than the first game, but they're not the huge difficulty spikes that they used to be (yet). First proper boss made me smile, as it basically has the player's toolkit from the first game (right down to the drone that harasses you).

Not all smooth sailing. A few irriations here and there, particularly around how the lifts work (step into them facing the wrong way and you might not be able to step out of them at the other end without setting them running again). Should all be patchable.
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Sep 2019 00:28:48 359 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @wuntyphyve According to the RPS review not only is blocking viable but parrying too and is even necessary (or at least doable) against some of the big bads.
  • wuntyate 25 Sep 2019 10:43:53 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Now blocking I'm fine with but me and parrying have never quite got on.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Sep 2019 11:18:36 6,929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I didn't need to parry last night, in what was maybe the first two hours of the game. I beat the first couple of bosses with a fairly similar playstyle to that I used in the first game, managing my range carefully, doing the occasional block, but basically figuring out when I needed to cancel out of combos and dodge backwards out of range.

Doesn't mean parrying won't be needed later, but I'd emphasise that while the combat in this is fairly fast by Soulslike standards, it's much closer to Dark Souls than Sekiro. You don't need the insane parry-combos of Sekiro and it probably isn't as reflex-dependent as even Bloodborne.
  • wuntyate 25 Sep 2019 11:26:22 13,358 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sweet. That sounds quite comforting. I settled into a good play style in the first so good to know it should serve me well.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.