The Surge 2 Page 11

• Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 09:43:29 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The underground entrance you want is the one near the bar - just the other end of the main street from it. It's the entrance that takes you in by the train platform. Note that for this bit to trigger, you'll need to have done the sidequest to go back into the prison and retrieve the jammer-thingy.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Oct 2019 10:02:08 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Oh yeah I've done that. Right got you. Fuck, now to think how to get there from here... Ha ha. Where am I again? Oh, just at the CIT entrance to Gideons Rock, so I'll do the thing you mentioned here first.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 10:24:07 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Easy journey to the underground entrance you need from where you are. Go through the bar by Gideon's Rock and down the main street outside. The nanovirus has progressed further now that you've done the Harold fight, so the city layout has changed again and you can pretty much just walk down the street now (most of the barricades and enemies are gone). The underground entrance is on your left at the end, just after the road leading off to the checkpoint on the way to the evacuation/medical area. It's the one with a medibay just outside it.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Oct 2019 11:26:22 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Oh shit, THAT entrance. Totally forgot that one. Sweet!
  • Addy__ 10 Oct 2019 12:13:14 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Hehehe little Johnny down. Got some forceps boss weapon and some drone that will open some locked doors. Super :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 12:35:45 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__ Yeah, that drone upgrade is the first of your metroidvania-style unlocks. You might want to do a sweep through areas you've cleared - there will be some newly accessible loot and shortcuts.

Grats on Little Johnny. He's the point at which the game ramps up the difficulty to Souls levels properly. He's not the hardest boss in the game, but it's the biggest step-up in terms of challenge.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Oct 2019 13:40:02 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still think Little Johnny look me the longest and the most amount of goes. Nice one Addy.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 13:45:44 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve According to the end-game stats (which irritatingly you can't repeat-view), I had the largest number of deaths to Delver (the first fight in Gideon Rock), largely because it took me a long time to work out phase 2, with the General in second place.
  • Addy__ 10 Oct 2019 14:05:16 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I still think Little Johnny look me the longest and the most amount of goes. Nice one Addy.
    Yeah took me a lot. Thing is when I did him I barely got hit. Trick is not to get greedy. Came across Brother Eli and then saved it. Off to a funeral so will have another bash tomorrow night.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 11:43:56 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    So I'm past eli and somehow snuck through the police blockades relatively undetected and have made it to Gideon's rock. This is the right path isn't it?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2019 11:52:42 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__ Yes, Gideon's rock next. Big and intricate area with a lot to find. Next boss is nasty, so might be worth making sure you're happy with your build and maybe farming any upgrades needed while you're there. The weapon dropped by the big statue guys is a highly-rated weapon for the middle sections of the game.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 12:21:38 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Rogueywon

Cheers matey.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 12:27:46 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Holy shit those big robots 2 hit kill me.
  • wuntyphyve 11 Oct 2019 12:30:31 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You get used to them. That first one I think killed me about 15 times in a row when I first met it.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 12:34:11 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    You get used to them. That first one I think killed me about 15 times in a row when I first met it.
    I feel far too squishy at the moment. Just ran past that first one.
  • wuntyphyve 11 Oct 2019 13:17:06 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just bait them to open their shield and charge attack it. After that target the spear arm and get that spear, it rocks.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 13:24:17 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Yeah I killed one and have that spear. I kept spamming it with that zapping drone and hammering it when stunned, rinse repeat.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 14:38:35 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Having real dramas with cervantes. Nearly beat him first time and now I can't get anywhere close.
  • MiniSchnauz 11 Oct 2019 14:41:56 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Stun him when you can. His invis-lunge is a pain in the arse otherwise.
  • wuntyphyve 11 Oct 2019 14:52:02 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sadly can't help as I beat him first time. Which isn't a gloat as it was pure luck, and unfortunately means I haven't learned him so wouldn't know what to do next time.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 15:09:10 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    No that's good mate. It's one of those. I know how to beat him. I'm doing the usual of not being quick enough and getting greedy when I have an opening. Love Gideon's Rock though so far. I'm not liking the run back to cervantes. Yes it's fairly short but I still find it a pain.
  • MiniSchnauz 11 Oct 2019 16:55:26 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    If you have the shortcut you can literally just sprint all the way to the fog wall and ignore the annoying mobs.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 23:49:02 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Fuck me I've hit a wall with this cervantes fella. He's absolutely kicking my ass.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 23:52:17 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Hehehe just literally battered him on my attempt after posting that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2019 23:56:25 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__ Nicely done.

Bad news is, when I said "next boss is hard", I'd forgotten about that fella. He's not the one I meant.
  • Addy__ 11 Oct 2019 23:58:39 1,609 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Addy__ Nicely done.

Bad news is, when I said "next boss is hard", I'd forgotten about that fella. He's not the one I meant.
    Oh I've just been twatted by delver. Lol here we go again.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Oct 2019 00:08:19 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Addy__ Right, Delver tactics... (building in what I learned from the optional late-game fights against single-phase variants).

According to the end-credits stats, I took 16 deaths to this guy. More than to any other boss. It's not that he's outright hard, it's more that you have three distinct phases to learn.

So phase 1: He alternates between above-ground and underground phases. When he's above, you can parry his attacks fairly easily (or dodge and attack, if parrying's not your thing). When he dives, keep moving. When the ground churns under you, dodge quickly. If you do this right, you can land a hit after he surfaces. After two quick surfaces, his third one will be a jumping lunge (dodge it then land a hit or two) and then he's back into above-ground mode. Rinse and repeat. One thing that's really important - when you deplete his health bar, try to do it with as much stamina as possible (so not the last hit in a combo).

Phase 2 is the nasty bit. He's hard, his parry windows are mental and he hits like a truck. Ideally, you want to damage him as much as possible during the transition from phase 1 to phase 2 (hence saving your stamina). If you absolutely unload on him in the transition, then pull back and unload the drone on his head, you might burn his entire phase 2 health bar without actually needing to fight him. If not, keep your distance and bait his charges (the "unblockable" prompt will appear). Dodge those then counter while he gets back on his feet. If he goes airborne, dodge the shards he shoots at you, then hit them before he lands agains.

Phase 3 is less mental than phase 2. It's basically a supercharged version of phase 1's above-ground mode. You can - and should - parry him (or dodge and retaliate). As he moves around, he leaves a purple trail behind him. Don't stand in it. It stacks a nano effect on you. This is like Dark Souls's Bleed effect - if the dial fills, it does a big one-off damage hit on you. Don't let that happen. Play it fairly cautious, learn the parry timings and you can get this phase down eventually.
  • wuntyphyve 12 Oct 2019 01:25:01 12,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ouch. Final boss. Git.
  • MiniSchnauz 12 Oct 2019 03:20:02 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @wuntyphyve Target the head and stay close to him (and I mean, be in his goddamn face the entire time) and watch out for the stun/OHK attack if you do have to back off to heal. You can ignore the rocks and Delver spikes he uses and just constantly punish the ever-living-fuck out of him.

There's only one hard combo to watch out for when he goes up and up again and up a third time. If you can parry that as well as the right-up one then you can just beat the hell out of him for batteries should you need it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Oct 2019 09:07:42 6,533 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve I mostly just stayed in close with him and improvised on whether to dodge or parry his various attacks. He hits hard and can feel overwhelming at first, but his moveset isn't huge and, once you learn him, he's a long way from being the hardest boss in the game.

Got him on my sixth attempt. By which time, I'd accumulated enough scrap from repeating the trash-run to him that I got the "kill a boss while holding 30,000 scrap" achievement from him, followed a second later by "carry over 100,000 scrap" once the reward for killing him landed.

Edited by Rogueywon at 09:08:31 12-10-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.