The Surge 2 Page 15

• DodgyPast 24 Nov 2019 15:10:46 9,318 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just gone back to it after a week off due to Ezra giving me too much trouble, killed him on my second try.

Once you figure out the rythm to him you can just power through to victory.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Nov 2019 15:26:38 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ezra's tough. Surviving phase 1 isn't too bad, but phase 2 is plain nasty. The key I found was to dance around his armour in phase 2, killing its flamer in between dodging his charges. Once the flamer is dead, pull back to long range and focus on duelling him.

The railgun on the armour suit is still active and can't be killed, but it fires to a set rhythm, so you can either dodge to its audio cues, or else find some cover to get behimd. One of the game's nastier bosses. Nothing after him gave me quite so much trouble.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 12:30:15 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Picking this up today for a smooth 30, any beginner/build tips? I generally play as a dex build going for light in Souls and am better at Bloodborne's faster combat.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Nov 2019 12:39:03 8,551 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @MrAGSystems builds are not as prevalent in this as they are in dark souls/bloodborne.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 12:43:37 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Build in this comes much more from gear than from stats, compared to the Souls games. The only stat-choices you get on level-up are for health, stamina and energy generation. How you prioritise those may be shaped a little by your playstyle, but in simple terms, health is usually the least important. Stamina works as it does in Dark Souls and will let you dodge more and sustain attack combos for longer. Energy is a unique mechanic for the Surge games - by hitting enemies and blocking/parrying attacks, you gain energy which can be consumed either for finishing moves (which give loot), or to charge your consumables (including your estus equivalent). As a rough rule of thumb, heavier armour builds will want more stamina and lighter builds will want more energy (though there's no point min/maxing).

As for gear, armour divides into three broad types, equating to light, medium and heavy. All armour comes in sets and you get 3 and 6 piece set bonuses for having multiple pieces of the same set equipped. As you go through the game, you'll find that later sets in each of the three types get gradually increasing base defense. This means that gear acquired later in the game is generally better than the early stuff. Sometimes, though, you'll want to stick with older gear because you prefer the set bonuses.

Sounds like you'll want to go the light armour route, given how you've played the From games. I tried all three types during my playthrough and also gravitated back to light armour as I moved into the final sections. As for weapons - you can have a good few favourited for hot-swapping at a time (no weight system in this, so you don't get penalised for having a heavy weapon unused in your hot-swap list). For a fast build, you'll probably want a decent all-round quick weapon like a sword, maybe mixed with a spear for when you want to be more cautious and some punch-daggers for big-damage combos.
  • Overmegasixwave 25 Nov 2019 14:21:32 95 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Spend a bit of time practicing your parrying early on, I found the parry window a bit fiddly to begin with. Makes life a whole lot easier once you get the hang of it.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 14:49:02 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Thanks for the detailed replies chaps. I've just exited the prison, beat the first boss guy to get the drone, haven't died yet. Rather enjoying it thus far.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 20:21:48 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Just reached Port Nixon! Really enjoying this.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 20:28:34 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems That's decent progress. Port Nixon has a couple of entertaining difficulty spikes, though. You've got a boss fight coming up where the game really tries to show off its "anything From can do, we can do better" credentials.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 20:53:17 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks. The Fort Nixon party got cancelled as it looks like I need the Force Hook to enter.
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Nov 2019 21:31:23 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @MrAGSystems You don't get the force hooks until *much* later. It is the right place so you'll have to have a poke around and see what you can find.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 21:38:15 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @MiniSchnauz Yeah I have a feeling I was trying to go in the back door of Port Nixon... Still though, I'm power level 31, am able to take on the level 3 guys and have a few cool weapons.

Really like some of the asymmetric online stuff. Hiding your statue is rather cool.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 22:32:50 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Yes, there are two ways into Port Nixon available from the start, but one is a dead-end. You've actually had to fight your way past a couple of tough enemies to get in that way, so well done.

The "proper" way in will take you through a non-combat area with some quest-givers and merchants.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Nov 2019 23:18:49 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rogueywon I'm officially an idiot - I didn't see the exit at the back of the room; I went upstairs, dug all around and of course tried the back entrance.

Onwards...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 23:23:09 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Oh you have such a boss fight coming up...

I'll avoid spoilers, but will say that what's particularly neat about it is the way they use Surge 2's unique mechanics (limb-targeting and destruction) to do stuff that just wouldn't work in a From title.

Also, be aware most major bosses have a "secret" weapon you can acquire from them, that's better than their normal weapon drop. Conditions to get it vary, but generally come down to breaking the right weapon-part, or destroying some non-essential components before you get the kill.

None of this need worry you unless you're feeling completionist. The special weapons aren't much better than the normal ones.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Nov 2019 02:59:30 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rogueywon Thanks again. Managed to fight my way through and put down Little Johnny easily enough. I've got myself back to the meditation via a tonne of shortcuts and I've had to turn it off as it's beginning to feel claustrophobic - I can't figure out how to get out of the area and I feel trapped. Like, genuinely uncomfortable.

It's well past my bedtime, so I should draw a line under it for tonight.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Nov 2019 07:19:41 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems The way back from the medibay isn't too bad - run back across the big pipe that you ran over when you entered the area for the first time. You'll pass one of the shortcut exits along the way. Be warned that even when you know the route, there may be a certain... obstacle... to pass through on the way.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Nov 2019 12:22:23 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Rogueywon Sounds ominous! Little Johnny went down pretty easy, so hopefully I don't stumble too much.
  • MiniSchnauz 26 Nov 2019 15:44:56 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Rogueywon The run back isn't too bad and once you've Krypton Factor'd your way through the obstacle course the game will point you in the right directions again.

I think you'll have a couple of things to do, maybe require some farming, and the next will be pushing deeper on into the maze of the city.

Edit: I hate you all. I bought Code Vein yesterday as a b'day present for myself and now all I want to do is play The Surge 2 again.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 15:45:32 26-11-2019
  • MrAGSystems 26 Nov 2019 20:37:49 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Just been noodling about Cloud 9 and am about to head to Gideon's Rock. I'd say more but that'd lessen my time playing.
  • MiniSchnauz 26 Nov 2019 20:52:16 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @MrAGSystems you're really cracking through it! Good job!

I love Gideon's Rock. Probably my favourite area in the game and definitely my favourite boss fight.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Nov 2019 20:56:31 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I loved the concept of Gideon's Rock. It's presented as a nature reserve, but it's actually one of the most artificial areas in the game, with plenty of opportunities to look behind the curtain and see how cynical it is.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Nov 2019 21:38:40 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @MiniSchnauz Yeah, can't put it down!

Glad I got my parrying down early doors, it came in really useful vs. the Gaia statute thingy.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Nov 2019 23:56:16 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I felt the first game was reasonable and had some neat ideas and showed promise. Felt that if they could expand upon them properly and get rid of the kinks that the sequel could be good...

I left it at Gideon's Rock for the evening and yep, Deck13 have fucking nailed this. If I'm still enjoying it this much by the end, I'd almost say it's my GotY.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Nov 2019 23:57:47 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrAGSystems Yeah, my GOTY as well. The first one was a small-scale by-the-numbers Souls clone. This one is a much more confident game and stamps its own identity on the genre. It's maybe not quite up there with From's very best (Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne) but it's easily competitive than the rest of their stuff.

And better than Sekiro.
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Nov 2019 00:06:54 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Drug-resistant syphilis is better than Sekiro.

And a lot more enjoyable.

The only good boss in Sekiro was Demon of Hatred but only because it felt like a Soulsborne boss they found behind a cupboard and decided they had to put in somewhere.

But I digress, however strong my hatred for Sekiro, a game I uninstalled several times the first week I owned it in disgust before sitting down to power through it.

The Surge 2 is also my GotY for all the reasons Rogueyone mentioned so I won't repeat them. Where we differ is I think it is one a par with Bloodborne and certainly better than DS (but only because I hate Bed of Chaos) and I think both of those games required the DLC to make them truly special. (Demons' was better - fight me).

I'd go further and repeat my stock line that Deck 13 out From'd From in a lot of respects and deserve a lot of credit; a dwarf standing on the shoulders of a giant and all that. They, unlike From, learned from their mistakes rather than repeating the same trick over and over (DS3 says 'hi').
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Nov 2019 00:09:20 6,929 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The directional-parry system deserves to be copied. It makes melee combat feel more tactile without relying on the button-mashing of Sekiro.

Also, EG didn't review this because they "didn't have the right staff available". That kinda raises some questions about whether they're hiring the right people when they can pump out umpteen reviews of hipsterwank indie pixelart shite, but can't manage a review of one of the best games of the year.
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Nov 2019 00:28:42 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Rogueywon

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice review - a stripped and scarred masterpiece
    From dust to dust to dust.

Review by Edwin Evans-Thirlwell, Contributor

Oh really, you say...
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Nov 2019 00:41:30 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Actually, I take that back. I am not sure I could stand another thousand words from Adrian Mole-Thirlwell about how the city devouring itself is a metaphor for post-Brexit Britain where posh people who write for the Guardian still want to know who took their tofu salad from the office fridge. I know it was you Wesley and so I hate this game because it is not the game about beating tofu-stealing editors in the face with their Streetfighter Funko Pops collection I envisaged it to be. It's not empowering enough. Something, something ... empowered.

Look at me being all meta and referencing the Recently Abandoned Games thread.

:D
  • MrAGSystems 27 Nov 2019 02:30:52 323 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The parrying in Sekiro is junk. I can parry my heart out in Metal Gear Rising and Nioh, but Sekiro just feels wrong...

Anyways, got as far as fighting Delver, and got it to it's second form. I should really go to bed...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.