The Surge 2 Page 18

• wuntyate 4 Aug 2020 22:35:15 15,468 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Switch024 Good man, it's bloody fantastic.
  • Rogueywon 4 Aug 2020 22:36:44 9,485 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One of the most under-rated games of the generation and a bloody good Soulslike. I'd take it over either of the Nioh games, for sure.
  • Nanocrystal 4 Aug 2020 23:38:34 2,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Best parry system ever, for sure.
  • Rogueywon 4 Aug 2020 23:39:50 9,485 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, but don't bother with the DLC. It's pants and takes about 2-3 hours max.
  • Rodderz 4 Aug 2020 23:46:00 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    @Rodderz Cheers! I never actually played the first one, weighing up whether I should skip it and jump straight into this. £13 is a very tempting price.
    No problem! The first Surge was a lot of fun actually, if a bit janky in places. By all accounts it sounds like the devs went to town on improving on the formula for this sequel, so starting at this point might be for the best.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 00:43:08 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played a quick half an hour, just long enough to choose a beard, get in the rig and club a few enemies.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 11:29:56 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One thing I noticed in that first half hour was an option to rank graffiti tags? Are they messages left by other players like Dark Souls?
  • wuntyate 5 Aug 2020 11:31:02 15,468 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They are indeed!
  • Rogueywon 5 Aug 2020 11:36:31 9,485 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Another thing to note about this one is that NG+ is definitely worth a look. Not only does it shake up enemy placements with new elite enemies (like Dark Souls 2), but it also adds a couple of extra little story snippets, particularly in the intro, where there's a whole new sequence.
  • Switch-v85 5 Aug 2020 23:16:53 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played a couple of hours now, just got to Port Nixon.

Not really sure what I think of it yet, Iím enjoying it but the combat does feel a bit weightless. Still deciding on a weapon though, it seemed a bit better when I changed to something heavier. Not yet got the timing down for parrying, Iíve done it a few times but also got myself killed trying it.
  • nickthegun 5 Aug 2020 23:18:26 83,331 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Get used to it, itís pretty much mandatory for boss fights and the annoying statue bastards in the park.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 5 Aug 2020 23:27:35 9,704 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Statue bastards are fine if you have the parrying down. If you haven't got it by then they will certainly beat it into you.

Also make sure you're aiming your attacks correctly so you can build a decent suit of armour. You need to target eg armoured arms to get the arms of the suit they're wearing. Targeting unarmoured sections might seem like the best thing to do because you can kill enemies quickly that way but then you won't get good drops. I think the game does briefly tell you this but I don't think it drums into you quite how important it is.
  • Cadence 6 Aug 2020 01:02:12 2,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Statue bastards are fine if you have the parrying down. If you haven't got it by then they will certainly beat it into you.

Also make sure you're aiming your attacks correctly so you can build a decent suit of armour. You need to target eg armoured arms to get the arms of the suit they're wearing. Targeting unarmoured sections might seem like the best thing to do because you can kill enemies quickly that way but then you won't get good drops. I think the game does briefly tell you this but I don't think it drums into you quite how important it is.
    Shit, I knew I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the tip!
  • monkman76 6 Aug 2020 07:18:21 16,816 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I canít seem to get past the two shield guys (one has a gun too) just outside the police department. I need charged attacks I know but the timing seems very tricky. Iím OK with the parrying though weirdly. Any tips?
  • Rogueywon 6 Aug 2020 07:25:10 9,485 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monkman76 No need to actually kill those guys. They route they're guarding is a dead end for now.

If you do want to kill them (their drops are decent), then if I remember, they only deploy their shields once you engage them. You can knock most of the health off one of them by unloading your drone ammo into his head before getting close to them.

Beyond that, you can either open with a charged attack, starting the charge before they're in melee range, or you can follow a parry up with a charged attack to knock the shield out. Once their shield is gone, they're not too tough.
  • nickthegun 6 Aug 2020 08:01:09 83,331 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When you target an enemy, the game gives you a traffic light system depending on both your gear levels. If youíre rolling around in L1 gear and you target an enemy in L3 gear, it will show their gear level in red to let you know they will likely kick your head in.

That said, once you get the electro shock attachment for the drone, the game completely changes and taking on higher levels is a bit easier.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:02:32 06-08-2020
  • monkman76 6 Aug 2020 08:05:36 16,816 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh OK, I thought that was route A for now. Just remembered thereís another route I can take.
  • Switch-v85 6 Aug 2020 22:42:22 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've figured out why I'm so shit at the parry and it's because I use inverted camera controls. As the parry is tied to the camera I have to flick down on the analog rather than up when it's an overhead atack. It's pretty much wrecked my brain but I'm starting to get used to it.

Edited by Switch024 at 22:42:54 06-08-2020
  • docrob 6 Aug 2020 23:12:06 1,616 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    I've figured out why I'm so shit at the parry and it's because I use inverted camera controls. As the parry is tied to the camera I have to flick down on the analog rather than up when it's an overhead atack. It's pretty much wrecked my brain but I'm starting to get used to it.
    Huh - I had this on my wish list, but this is making me think I should take it off. I generally have to invert the Y axis.
  • Switch-v85 6 Aug 2020 23:28:05 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @docrob Don't worry it's me being a complete idiot. There's an option to change it that I've completely missed, it's literally right there in the main options menu.
  • Switch-v85 7 Aug 2020 08:39:19 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Canít say Iíve enjoyed Port Nixon that much but thatís probably more to do with me being a bit shit. The entrance to Terminal Z is not pleasant.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2020 09:00:23 83,331 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I had a surprisingly hard time considering I finished the first one but thatís because I didnít get how powerful the parry is. I played the first one like dark souls so thought this would be the same. It took me pretty much to the nano beast to Ďget ití (you canít really beat it without it).

Itís hard to emphasise how much it changes the game.
  • Switch-v85 7 Aug 2020 09:38:27 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the parry does seem pretty essential, fights go much more smoothly if you manage to get one in. Think I'm just being too aggressive and because the enemies can poise through a lot of your attacks I'm getting wallopped mid combo.
  • Rogueywon 7 Aug 2020 10:04:50 9,485 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Switch024 If you want to go really aggressive, then the punch dagger-type weapons can be a good option. It's possible to break through poise with those pretty quickly.

The downside is that obviously you have to get really close to use them to best effect. Plus they can suck on large enemies and big bosses that just don't stagger much.
  • Switch-v85 7 Aug 2020 10:23:01 4,097 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They sound pretty good, I'll give them a go later. I tried out one of the pole weapons which seemed decent for crowd control but didn't seem to stagger at all.
  • wuntyate 7 Aug 2020 10:23:04 15,468 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never bothered with directional parry at all tbh. Focused on evasion instead and used the spear with the full hunters set (whatever it's called).
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2020 10:25:49 83,331 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How many hours did it take you to kill the nano beast?
  • wuntyate 7 Aug 2020 10:52:37 15,468 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Delver? Not many. Wasn't too hard. Any of them . I did struggle on a couple of bosses without it, namely that churchy lady and the final boss but I've always been shit at parrying in souls-likes so my dodging is on point.
  • nickthegun 7 Aug 2020 10:58:11 83,331 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fair enough. I tried playing like you until I hit that boss like a brick wall. Took me a few goes to work out it was trying to teach me to parry and then it went down pretty quickly.

Thats when the penny also dropped about the statue robots and they immediately went from 'pain in the arse' to 'trivial farming material'.
  • wuntyate 7 Aug 2020 11:10:36 15,468 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I don't disagree. Parrying is very much the way to go I'm sure. But there are viable alternatives. I remember hating those bloody statues but I ended up farming them for quite some time, and they go from nigh on impossible to a piece of piss.

Oddly enough I started again the other day and have been practicing my directional parrying on the guys in the first proper area.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.