The Surge 2 Page 19

• Fonzie 7 Aug 2020 12:07:21 3,439 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I gave up on this when I got to the Delver. I just didn't have the patience at the time. Will go back to it eventually but I could never get the parry timing right on this.

Edited by Fonzie at 12:07:35 07-08-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 7 Aug 2020 12:30:58 9,704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Delver! Oh he was a laugh. I remember being so happy after finally winning before watching it go to its second stage ;_;
  • Rogueywon 7 Aug 2020 12:37:35 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Delver's a great fight. :)

You don't actually need the parry for it. Phases 1 and 3 can be won using hit-and-run stay-behind-it tactics like you would on most of the quadruped Soulsborne bosses. Phase 2 is an absolute bastard, but you can blast your way through most of it quickly if you use all your drone ammo on it.

Nailing the parries does speed up phases 1 and 3 greatly. I've never had the reactions needed to parry phase 2.
  • Switch-v85 7 Aug 2020 22:52:50 4,097 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Jesus that Little Johnny fight went on for ages, took me about 6 goes and I kept dying right at the end each time. Too hot tonight for intense boss battles!
  • Rogueywon 7 Aug 2020 23:34:24 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Switch024 Little Johnny is a great fight. :)

Did you do it the hard way, breaking the face-pincers before getting the kill? That nets you a better version of the weapon it drops.

I couldn't manage that on NG, though I did manage to pull it off in NG+. Sooooo many tiny parry windows.
  • Switch-v85 7 Aug 2020 23:44:08 4,097 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon I definitely broke the pincers off but I had no idea about the weapon. I picked up Little Johnnyís Forceps V2.0? Iíve just been trying them out, they seem pretty good.
  • Rogueywon 7 Aug 2020 23:58:55 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Switch024 The 2.0 is the improved version of the weapon, so yes, you did it the hard way. 'Grats.

And yeah, they're decent for this stage in the game.
  • Switch-v85 8 Aug 2020 00:18:34 4,097 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sweet, they hardly use any stamina so Iím finding them perfect for doing a quick combo and the parrying. Really enjoying this now itís starting to click, back in the first area and exploring the new paths, shortcuts galore!
  • wuntyate 8 Aug 2020 00:19:04 15,468 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Little Johnny was a little bastard. I hated that fight. The only boss fight in that game I couldn't get on board with. Mind you. Levels and enemies are this games strengths, not boss fights.

In fact nioh 2 shows how boss fights should be. With a few exceptions of course. Surge 1&2 rely too much on gimmicks.

Not saying that they are shit, just that they are the weakest part.
  • Rodderz 22 Aug 2020 12:18:20 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got started with this last night and already rather enjoying it. I got my arse whooped 3 times by the warden guy in the prison who gives up the drone, but I'm reminded that it always takes me a little while to get 'into the zone' with souls-like games. They always need that little bit extra concentration, awareness and precision.

After that I've been doing ok out in the city, going on a few runs killing fools and gathering materials, plus getting used to the new parry mechanic. I've levelled up a bit and I need to head towards a giant pink ocoptus apparently 😁.

I've put most of my level points so far into stamina as, like Surge 1, it seems vital for both attack and defence/dodging, with a couple of points each into health and battery upgrades.
  • XsjadoBlaydette 22 Aug 2020 12:33:45 57 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ever since I got the emp drone, been having an absolute blast with the combat. That is until reaching the golden statues. They don't accept my cool stylish tricks I gotten used to, damnit.
  • Rodderz 25 Aug 2020 00:29:49 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Little Johnny and Brother Eli are now dead. Got both their special weapons too, that'll teach them.

Was having a bit of a problem with those more heavily armoured guys in the port area, but I found the heavy-duty Endas RS3 Titan weapon absolutely wrecks them. I'm rather liking the versatility of the Punishing Slashbrand too and for quick strikes the Metamorphing Talons.
  • Rodderz 26 Aug 2020 21:19:14 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Hey Roguey, can I ask a quick bit of advice as you've smashed this game. I'm up to the hotel with the DJ, but do you recommend heading to Gideons Rock, or should I head back to an area just before this where there was an entrance an underground station? Is one location preferential over another at this point? Think I'm around level 44 at the mo.
  • Rogueywon 26 Aug 2020 21:26:50 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rodderz The underground station is a dead end right now. You can explore it for some minor loot, but there's nothing else to do there for now. Gideon's Rock is the place to go.

And be ready for a bit of a jump in difficulty now!
  • Rodderz 26 Aug 2020 21:27:44 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Cheers Roguey, nice one 👍
  • Rodderz 27 Aug 2020 21:59:58 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just killed the Delver on the 4th attempt. I've massively improved my parrying thanks to those statue enemies, so that proved hugely useful against that boss. Gutted I didn't get the 2.0 weapon, but he was too skittish to not just want to kill him quickly when I had a good run!
  • Rogueywon 27 Aug 2020 22:26:30 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rodderz Yes, Gideon's Rock is the place where the game really, really wants to make sure you learn to parry.

Grats on Delver. He's a bit of a wall for some people.
  • wuntyate 27 Aug 2020 22:49:39 15,468 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz good going man!

I've actually started a new playthrough. Quite surprised at how awful i am. Its like I've forgotten everything.
  • Rodderz 27 Aug 2020 23:46:36 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate & Roguey

Ta guys. Yeah I'm really enjoying this, it took me a little while to find my mojo but now it is a lot of fun! I think I have you two to thank for recommending this sequel anyway 😁.

I'm currently rocking a set of the JCPD Police gear, as it has great stamina regeneration, which I've increased to MK.V thus far. I think I wore this or similar armour in Surge 1 as well, but it was much harder to get in that! I'm thinking of building up a set of that statue armour too, as it looks pretty solid tanking gear.

The Gaia Lancer spear that drops from those statues is pretty awesome, so I'm using that mostly as a weapon, plus the Nanite Beastclaws. Helix of the Delver staff is looking decent too.

Edited by Rodderz at 23:47:28 27-08-2020
  • Rogueywon 28 Aug 2020 00:06:29 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The statue armour is great defence, but fucking hell it will hurt your stamina...

I used it for a while on my first playthrough. Eventually I realised I was better suited to a light-armour build, which gave me lots of mobility and stamina.

Then I hit NG+ where it really is heavy armour all the way (you have so much stamina by that point that the penalties matter much less).

Edited by Rogueywon at 00:06:49 28-08-2020
  • Rodderz 9 Sep 2020 14:09:29 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished this earlier in the week and I really enjoyed my time with it. The interconnectivity of the world was top drawer, there was quite a few occasions where I'd open a new door and follow a short route and be back in an earlier location I didn't think I'd be in. I had to stop and marvel at how it was all connected at times.

I didn't have too much trouble with the final boss, as I'd levelled the shit out of my equipment! I used the Ironmaus armour and gloves I'd acquired from a sidequest and found it to be a decent set. I also love the cheap superhero look 😁. I went for the nice ending, so got the Archangel armour for my trouble.

I had a quick jaunt into NG+ and got my ass handed to me a few times! Not having any armour at the beginning and therefore not even having any dodging ability, enemy levels increased and new enemy placements did me in a few times. I eventually got going again when I finally geared up, but have left it just outside the police station and moved on to play The Division. I might well go back at some point in the future to have another playthrough of this and level all the gear up to lvl. XX. Here's hoping for a next-gen Surge 3!

Edited by Rodderz at 14:09:45 09-09-2020
  • wuntyate 9 Sep 2020 14:35:58 15,468 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz Great isn't it. I'm still dipping in and out of a new playthough. Whilst not the prettiest game, this play on the One X looks a hell of a lot better than the smudgy mess I played through on the PS4 when it launched. Took them ages to optimise the texture streaming.

Edited by wuntyate at 14:36:05 09-09-2020
  • Bichii 9 Sep 2020 15:09:57 3,596 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Heard soooo many good things about this but when ever I check out some gameplay it just looks terrible. I immediately just think "I'd just rather a re roll".
  • wuntyate 9 Sep 2020 15:16:44 15,468 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's very much not terrible.
  • Rogueywon 9 Sep 2020 15:21:53 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the art style is a bit more industrial than we're used to for a Soulslike, but the level design and combat is great.
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 15:22:19 83,331 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You would 100% hate it for at least the first third of the game, then get massively into it for the middle section when your gear and combat options open and you can tweak your build before deciding you hate it again at the end when it kind of forces you to just tank and go through the same levels again but with a bit of rubble everywhere.

It does peak and trough quite a lot, but the peaks are pretty good.
  • Bichii 9 Sep 2020 15:27:00 3,596 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think a lot of it stems from the look. The style does nothing for me and I do love me some sifi. The combat doesn't seem to have flow to it either. Obviously I should just play it next time it's dirt cheap. Nioh 2dlc, another BB run and mortal shell first though.
  • Rogueywon 9 Sep 2020 15:29:10 9,486 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oooooh, the combat has flow. The directional parry system does phenomenal things for pacing.
  • Rodderz 9 Sep 2020 20:37:42 4,283 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @Rodderz Great isn't it. I'm still dipping in and out of a new playthough. Whilst not the prettiest game, this play on the One X looks a hell of a lot better than the smudgy mess I played through on the PS4 when it launched. Took them ages to optimise the texture streaming.
    Yeah it was a lot of fun! Both this and Surge 1 are worthy souls-like games and I really like the whole change of setting/genre.

The graphics were ok on the Pro. I tried Resolution mode and whilst it looked better, it also felt like the game slowed down a bit (30fps lock??), so I went back to Performance mode which felt more fluid. However, in this mode there was noticeable screen tearing at times, especially in the city area, a negative effect which I haven't seen in a game in quite a while, at least in this gen of consoles. I hope Deck13 can polish those aspects up with the faster solid state drives that we'll see in next-gen.

Edited by Rodderz at 20:39:22 09-09-2020
  • Bichii 22 Sep 2020 13:07:30 3,596 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So what am I doing wrong. First boss, my hits do very little. He kills me in a few hits and that fucking flying drone. Hate the game already.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.