The Surge 2 Page 20

• Bichii 22 Sep 2020 13:15:35 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay beat him on very next go. Still annoying as hell. Couldn't land any parries on him but managed a few on the enemies before him.
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Sep 2020 13:20:49 2,162 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Early on I found it easier to just dodge everything.
  • Rogueywon 22 Sep 2020 13:22:43 9,484 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii He shouldn't be that hard given you blitz through Sekiro. You do have a weapon equipped, right? Dodge/block his attacks and, if possible, land a couple of the directional parries to open up some windows for a nice big counter.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2020 13:25:50 83,331 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The first boss is, weirdly, the most complicated. I think all the rest are just parry and counter but that one actually needs some thought.
  • Bichii 22 Sep 2020 13:28:31 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah got there in the end. Use the pillar each time drone is up, dash under bombs attack. Attack left arm. Just walk back during each of his combos and counter with one of your own and heal every second you get a charge available.
  • Bichii 22 Sep 2020 13:39:59 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hate it when any game just throws loads of text and info all the time. There are better ways to teach players how to play the game. I'm sure I've already missed half of what the menu stuff is. Like what is banking? I banked stuff as I saw a button highlighted saying bank but it didn't explain banking. How about scrapping with right on the d pad? I've done that as well but no idea what it did.
  • wuntyate 22 Sep 2020 13:43:18 15,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Banking just stores all your tech for later. You can use it to level up or keep it. Just means you're not carrying it around.

Scrapping adds all the bits of scrap you've picked up into your tech that you can then bank etc.
  • Bichii 22 Sep 2020 13:44:34 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool ta. I'll get back on it tonight. Even though I didn't enjoy that first area I can see a lot of potential there.
  • wuntyate 22 Sep 2020 13:48:13 15,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Like anything that's new it'll be overwhelming at first but I do hope you settle into it. It's a great little game.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2020 14:01:41 83,331 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Banking just stores all your tech for later. You can use it to level up or keep it. Just means you're not carrying it around.

Scrapping adds all the bits of scrap you've picked up into your tech that you can then bank etc.
    There is a risk/reward system but its not mega-pronounced. The more dough you carry around, the higher your score multiplier is, so if you bank less frequently, you earn more scrap.
  • Rogueywon 22 Sep 2020 14:08:55 9,484 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

There is an advantage to not banking, though. The more scrap you have on-hand, the more you get for each enemy you kill.
  • wuntyate 22 Sep 2020 15:39:28 15,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I totally forgot about that. The multiplier. Think that was in the first game as well actually.
  • nickthegun 22 Sep 2020 16:07:42 83,331 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, it was. I think theres also a trophy if you end up carrying X amount around with you, which I hit by accident towards the end of the game.
  • Rogueywon 22 Sep 2020 16:54:42 9,484 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The trophy's quite easy to get. If you take a few attempts to beat the last boss and collect your scrap successfully each time you fail, you'll get the trophy from killing the last boss and the consequent scrap reward.

And yeah, the multiplier was in both The Surge 1 and even Lords of the Fallen. It's a Deck 13 thing.
  • Bichii 22 Sep 2020 22:39:23 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm enjoying it. The combat is satisfying and the level design is pretty solid. It had zero atmosphere though! Like nada, it is so unbelievably soulless and it is so bad at explaining any game mechanics and what things do. I'm just completely winging it. Just at what I guess is the second boss, the religious guys brother.
  • Rogueywon 22 Sep 2020 22:41:32 9,484 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii The atmosphere gets better later on. Once you get to Gideon's rock, be sure to explore around. There's lots of quite clever lore and world-building there.
  • Nanocrystal 23 Sep 2020 00:30:01 2,226 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first Surge is where the atmosphere is at. Story was way better too. Though the sequel does practically everything else better, particularly that wonderful parry system.
  • Bichii 23 Sep 2020 13:58:43 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jesus the bosses are fucking annoying.
  • Bichii 25 Sep 2020 20:22:00 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So am I under leveled or is it normal that the only way to get through Gideon's rock is you have to parry every single attack? Currently at a bit with these crystal enemies after fighting my way through loads of giant robots with shields.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2020 20:26:35 83,331 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís worth learning the parry timings for the robots. Once you get it down, they immediately become trivial cash machines. Thereís a really quick loop where you can knock three or four of them down in a couple of minutes and back to the med bay.
  • wuntyate 25 Sep 2020 20:35:07 15,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, bit of a steep learning curve with these guys but you soon dominate them.
  • Bichii 25 Sep 2020 20:35:16 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah unlocked loads of shortcuts now and both robots and crystal guys die very quickly. The parry time for both is later then earlier enemies.
  • Bichii 25 Sep 2020 20:55:01 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just destroyed captain Cervantes first time. Hoping to find a new weapon soon as I picked up this beast thing I'm using a while back and nothing better has dropped as yet.
  • Bichii 25 Sep 2020 21:52:18 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Beat delver fourth go I think, first main boss I've come across where I've enjoyed myself. The previous two main bosses have made me want to smash the tv, especially little Johnny.
  • Bichii 26 Sep 2020 13:10:11 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Major general dead. The whole area leading up to him was such a mess. Still enjoying the combat though and that boss was fun.
  • Bichii 26 Sep 2020 15:11:40 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks like I need to upgrade my stuff. According to Google the area I am in I need to be at least level 50 with mark 5 or 6 gear. I am just over level 50 with a mark 5 weapon but all my armour is mark 3. I guess I need to go around chopping several arms to let me upgrade my arms etc etc?

I have found some cool new weapons with similar damage output but I can't switch. The weapon I have does so much more poise damage and battery recharge than anything else in my arsenal.
  • Gunzberg 26 Sep 2020 20:40:41 2,812 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've dumped it now after the second boss and traversing towards the third (I've completed all Souls and Plat'd Bloodborne+DLC).

Even after grinding up, changing the loadout and bringing him to basically 2%, I just had enough with that boss. Then afterwards all the bs on the way to third boss etc, nah. Maybe it's because I'm now 35 and don't feel like wasting my limited time on earth constantly redoing certain sections.

The directional parry function also only works half the time. Even tested this on non-boss mobs. I also fear that most of the time gear makes so little difference in terms of def. oh you upgraded and changed out a piece of 10 def for 90 def, yeah you'll still get 2-shotted by long-range teleport jump attacks.

The 15-20% I saw of the game was a lot better than Surge 1 though.

What could have really turned this thing around is for online MP as with the Souls games. Having a summon to get you to some of the more shite sections would have really made me keep my love for this game.

Oh well.
  • Bichii 28 Sep 2020 11:28:07 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The fucking map, actually let's not even call it a map it's so shit. On the verge of deleting it. I need to return to port nixon to get the spark. However the whole game is so generic it's hard to tell where you are, the map is pointless, there is no fast travel (until you unlock kinda hidden pods), they normal way back to nixon is now blocked. I've been running around for ages trying to work out how the hell I get back there and it's pissing me off. Stumbled across what I'm guessing is an optional boss that one shotted me after about half an hour of exploring the fucking maze of bland levels.
  • wuntyate 28 Sep 2020 12:05:03 15,468 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like you're not enjoying it. I wouldn't keep playing. Life's too short.
  • Bichii 28 Sep 2020 12:07:08 3,596 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Managed to find it after thinking if I couldn't in the next ten minutes I was going to delete it.

It was past the boss I fell upon.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.