The Surge 2 Page 3

• MiniSchnauz 26 Sep 2019 18:46:36 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I caved and picked it up on PC. Initial impressions are good. By that I mean I have been swearing a lot.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2019 19:33:57 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mine got delivered earlier so I'll have a look later this evening. Actually looking forward to it.
  • Addy__ 26 Sep 2019 19:41:41 1,609 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Mine got delivered earlier so I'll have a look later this evening. Actually looking forward to it.
    Let me know what you think fella.
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2019 22:57:42 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shonky as hell much like the first but good lord it's fun.

Good couple of hours in. Feels quite familiar in a good way. Level design is great so far, lots of paths and shortcuts. Upgrade and scavenging has been improved upon greatly. Combat is really, really enjoyable. I'm surprised.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 23:54:19 26-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2019 23:52:28 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh this is a lot of fun.

Getting the hang of the directional parry now. That is an excellent mechanic and a rare thing in that it is a new addition to the Souls formula which is an outright improvement.

From Software need to nick that to replace the block/parry system for Elden Ring. :)
  • wuntyphyve 26 Sep 2019 23:55:53 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha even I've managed the odd parry. Very satisfying when you pull it off.

The drone is brilliant so far as well. Love the changes. Takes ammo now and it's actually a viable option to kill pricks with.

Also I sliced a guys head off and it landed in a portaloo so, well, can't really get any better.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 23:57:23 26-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 26 Sep 2019 23:58:49 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like that you can regain charges on the estus-equivalent by spending energy on it. That's great when you're deep in exploration mode and clinging on for dear life, but it comes at the expense of being able to use that energy for other abilities, or executions (quick kills/loot).
  • wuntyphyve 27 Sep 2019 00:07:57 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it's good, means you can keep pushing on.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Sep 2019 00:11:04 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And yes, the drone does serious damage now. Ammo is limited and takes a few kills to replenish, but it's almost like this game... has a gun.
  • wuntyphyve 27 Sep 2019 00:20:41 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shhhhhhhhhhh he'll hear you

Edited by wuntyphyve at 00:21:02 27-09-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Sep 2019 18:46:45 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Put in a few more hours this afternoon and it's growing on me again after an *ahem* ragequit of volcanic proportions yesterday as I struggled to deal with the SotFS boss-esque delayed parries.

I love the map, both claustrophobic and yet so utterly free to explore at the same time and the enemies and weapons are really starting to come into their own. They make you afraid, a weird thing to say, I know, but true, and the combat is so balletic and graceful, a symphony of violence where my sledgehammer conducts smashed bodies and flying limbs.

Needs more Ode to Joy in the cinematic finishers.

Edit: eeeeeeeee. So good.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 23:19:00 27-09-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Sep 2019 22:00:20 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Wow. Yup, they've definitely learned their lesson about bosses from the first game. Challenging but fair, clever too.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 27 Sep 2019 22:10:40 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aye, this is very good indeed. If you're torn between this and Code Vein, then on the basis of a few hours in both, I would make a clear recommendation of The Surge 2. Code Vein isn't bad, but this is more fun and more polished.
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Sep 2019 23:19:45 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    What put me off Code Vein was watching streamers spending hours designing their perfect anime 'waifu' in the character creator.

Seriously... *vomits*
  • wuntyphyve 28 Sep 2019 08:02:36 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What I like it's the ditching of the familiarity system with weapons. Far more open to experiment with different setups now.
  • wuntyphyve 28 Sep 2019 11:09:35 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tell you what though. Game looks a mess. About half the textures don't bother to load in properly. At all.
  • MiniSchnauz 28 Sep 2019 12:47:08 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Are you on PS4, Wunty? Hopefully they can patch that and get it working properly.

My biggest problem on PC was the dynamic resolution which caused horrible stuttering. Turning it off fixed the issues and now it's running at a smooth 60fps at 1080p.

You're right about the weapons by the way (and the armour too!) I ditched the spear ASAP for the sledgehammer - harder hitting and more energy generated per hit - and loving it immensely. My biggest problem right now is gearing up to move away from the first set of armour and the lovely full-set bonus to start getting a bit more exotic.
  • wuntyphyve 28 Sep 2019 12:56:58 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah PS4 it's ugly as shit currently with low Res assets everywhere. Just takes the edge off what is fast becoming a very enjoyable game.

Yeah I'm the same. I'm loathe to lose my health gain on executions!!!

I do like the spear. I'm alternating between that for distance jabs and this staff I have that does nanite damage.

I like all the player tags. Very soulsy.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 12:58:09 28-09-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 28 Sep 2019 15:22:08 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Time to try out a new weapon but only because it looks fun. Also reached an interesting point where the game wants me to go one way for plot reasons but side quests are off over in another direction entirely so I think it's time to go a-wandering.

Game is chock full of cute little things and I love that it's pushing me to experiment and try out different approaches. Never thought I'd say it but it feels like my GotY.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Sep 2019 16:41:40 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spent ages just exploring the first major area (Jericho Downtown). So many little secrets and side-loops to discover. Combat in this game is intensely satisfying. Really am liking this a hell of a lot.
  • AaronTurner 28 Sep 2019 17:18:41 11,271 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What’s the deal with the bosses? I gave up at the first boss in the last game, it ruined a game I was enjoying up until then.

Edited by AaronTurner at 17:18:58 28-09-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Sep 2019 17:40:51 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner So far, they've been easier than the first game's. They're still a difficulty spike, but not to the extent they used to be.

I liked the bosses in the first game, though. There were only five of them, but each one was a major roadblock (arguably, the final boss was the easiest). Given my most recent Soulslike comparator at the time was Dark Souls 3, with its huge number of mostly forgettable bosses, I think the "fewer but more memorable" thing resonated with me at the time more than it might have otherwise.
  • MiniSchnauz 28 Sep 2019 18:07:27 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @AaronTurner I'll echo Rougeywon's comments. They have been hard but fair so far and, of the three or four I've fought, each has been trying to teach me things about how to play the game alongside being fun and enjoyable fights.

Parrying, using the drone, avoidance, armour breaking... they've all been thoroughly covered and explored. It's made traversal later in the game even better because I'm trying new things, being braver, and actively engaging in fights. I want to wade in, I want to pull off parries, I want to break limbs and body parts efficiently and effectively for gear. It helps the combat is so enjoyable to watch and engage in.

Final thought: they've really upped the boss game as I said above. They don't feel like they come from a different game now or require a different set of skills, it's all so seamless and flawless. You will die (well I have) but you're always learning. There's no bullshit about them. If you died it was your fault and you have the tools to know why.

Oh, and the healing through efficient attack/defence thing is implemented superbly. It's the perfect foil to Miyazaki's complaint about people turtling in Souls games that they tried to remedy imperfectly in Bloodborne and then fucked off entirely in Sekiro.

Oh, and whilst YMMV the combat in this shits all over Sekiro and makes you realise quite how empty and all style, no substance it was. There's a point to being cunning here, knowing when to attack, when to defend, what and how to target a limb or weakness.

Right, I'm gushing, I'll shut up. It just keeps getting better.

Edit:: Fuck it, I'm all in. This is mechanically and level design-wise the best Soulsborne game.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 18:11:15 28-09-2019
  • wuntyphyve 28 Sep 2019 18:16:49 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To be fair I'm liking it more than Sekiro so far. I'll start loving it once it stops being a fucking blurry mess. But yeah, it's very good indeed. The drone is fucking brilliant, to the extent it just laughs at the pitiful excuse for a drone in the first game. The level design is, again, top notch. I love all the side paths and loops, it's what I loved about 1 and they've carried on in this vein in 2. I've got that old "fuck I'm back here!" feeling I haven't honestly had since Dark Souls 1.
  • Addy__ 28 Sep 2019 18:28:08 1,609 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Better than Sekiro?

Ngghhhh must resist.
  • wuntyphyve 28 Sep 2019 18:41:28 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Caveat: I don't rate sekiro that highly
  • Addy__ 28 Sep 2019 18:44:11 1,609 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I think I'll still stuck to my plan of getting this once I've finished and got rid of Borderlands 3. Prefer to buy physical just in case I don't like it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Sep 2019 20:32:12 6,533 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is much better than Sekiro. Admittedly, I'd only rate Sekiro in the 6-7 range, but even judged as an action game (supposedly Sekiro's forte), this is better. The swordplay is excellent, with the directional-parry being a really good way to keep you on your toes, without relying on the insane reflex-tests of Sekiro.

Level design is excellent with plenty of loops, secrets and assorted stuff to discover. Plus environments are much more varied than the first game. Plus, even with the shortcuts, you can sometimes end up a seriously fucking long way from a bonfire/medbay, in a way I don't think I've seen one of these games do since the original Dark Souls. The energy/estus system makes it possible to keep pushing on further if you're careful in battles, but the tension gets pretty epic.

As boss fights go, Little Johnny was pretty excellent. Took me maybe half a dozen attempts, which feels about right for a major Soulslike boss. Nicely fast-moving fight, which makes you use the full toolkit. Only found out on my penultimate attempt thay you can parry/counter the little pincer arms. Sadly, I didn't manage to break them both for the upgraded weapon.

Game looks great on PC - no blurriness. Performance at 4K/ultra can be a bit erratic, though, so I've put the dynamic resolution scaling on. Reflections seem to hit the framerate hard.
  • MiniSchnauz 28 Sep 2019 21:48:39 227 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Just had an epic boss fight that was 33% Souls, 257% Monster Hunter.

Has that great Souls feeling, impossible at first but then things start to click, then you get into a rhythm and the next phase is out of a whole different playbook.

They actually did that during this level too, let you get into a comfort zone then WHAM, something you've never faced before chews your face off, then pull a bait and switch. It's got such fantastic flow, you can feel the designers playing with you, subverting expectation, then doing it all over again.
  • wuntyphyve 29 Sep 2019 08:56:13 12,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Little Johnny will erm, take me a while.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.