Watchmen Page 10

• docrob 3 Dec 2019 08:05:06 1,247 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All the Veidt scenes were filmed at Penrhyn Castle, which is just up the road from me (and where we do parkrun every Saturday). Itís very weird when you keep recognising bits of set.
  • Load_2.0 3 Dec 2019 08:36:22 30,330 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Thoroughly confused by the end. If Iím being honest I wasnít paying much attention to that character and now I need to rewatch the whole damned thing again. And elephant?

So many questions dangling. I thought Manhattan was over shagging around, but no apparently he was still on Earth, scrounging around for pussy.

But hey, on the positive side, Looking Glass.
    I don't know if there are too many clues to that big reveal. I didn't expect it or quite understand it but hey ho!

The elephant I assumed was nothing more than a tool to flush out the nostalgia. Big brains to soak it up. However the internet suggests it could be more significant.

I should probably have been googling after every episode for all the minutiae but it's been entertaining enough for a comic book noob.
  • Baihu1983 3 Dec 2019 09:07:17 11,788 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw an article that lists about 5 clues before last night's episode but never really crossed my mind it was him just someone as they mentioned blending in several times.

Either way I'm happy with the reveal and it was another great episode

Edited by Baihu1983 at 09:36:24 03-12-2019
  • Mola_Ram 3 Dec 2019 09:44:56 21,876 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know if there were concrete clues or anything, but the reveal did put a couple of earlier conversations into a different context. And explained why (for example) her kid is adopted.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:17:08 03-12-2019
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2019 09:49:46 79,448 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And, seemingly, psychic or something.

And that the cyclops thing is the cult of Manhattan, so is unfortunately going to involve time travel at some point.
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 10:55:04 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the episode was somewhat heavy handed. Last ep's Hooded Justice was a great reveal because they built everything else in the ep' around that. In last night's show, they threw these reveals and backstories together like they were striking, but to me it came across as a too-much-of-a-coincidence cheap shot.

You mean Laurie just happened to crack the conspiracy after hearing the word Cyclops? Even after having previously know about them and she never made that connection until this moment? You mean Angela's parents AND grandmother die all within that short time of her life under completely different circumstances? AND she's screwing freaking Dr. Manhattan???

Some parts I liked.. Lady Trieu's scheme comes across as operating justice outside of the law, on a sociopahthic/ megalomaniac scale (she's looking like Ozymandias Mk.2 and I like it). Angela's past, while too coincidental for comfort, is a nice way for her reason to put on a badge, and subsequently a mask.

They went from hinting at things and letting the viewer work it out in previous episodes, to throwing exposition all over the place. Really pulled me out of it at times. And the really huge reveal at the end felt not as huge as it should have been because it was all a bit sudden. If they gave that reveal the Hooded Justice treatment it would have been great.

TLDR: Too many reveals and not enough time setting them up spoil the broth. Jeremy Irons farts. The end. It was good, but the weakest episode to date. Hope it picks up again.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 11:01:28 21,770 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    THE ONLY EPISODE LINDELOF DIDN'T WRITE BOB.
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 11:05:09 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh that'll be it, then.
  • BinaryBob101 3 Dec 2019 11:08:29 27,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Three immediate family deaths of different causes within a short space of time is the main nitpick? After all the crazy stuff, it's not that bizarre for an old lady to have a fatal heart attack, following the events they went through

Laurie actually had the Cylcops conspiracy given to her on a plate by a bad guy. This is just pulpy stuff, which is in keeping with the universe. I dunno, I thought that was intentional and funny as a result.

Decks wrote:
    Hahaha! Fucking VINDICATED.

Oh wait, it was still good though.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 11:13:49 03-12-2019
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 11:42:19 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think it was meant to come across as funny though. If any of it was funny it was the trap door bit, and that only seemed to be there to humorously soften the impact of Jane Crawford's sudden moustache-twirling moment. Because otherwise.. it would just be a bit out of place..

I'm not saying it wasn't good. It just definitely wasn't up to par with how stellar it's been up to this point. Part of me doesn't even want Manhattan to show up. The idea of him being a God in people's heads, who doesn't answer their prayers, and we're stuck with them as they deal with their shit is way more interesting.

But it's a great show, maybe they'll do something totally unexpected and brilliant with him idk.
  • RawShark 3 Dec 2019 11:43:15 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dr Manhattan. Loses interest in humanity and goes to Mars. Comes back because he has a fetish for boning women with tragic upbringings.

Hides his return by hiding in the skull of a regular guy who is blissfully unaware and OH MY GOD THIS SHIT IS BANANAS!
  • RawShark 3 Dec 2019 11:43:29 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RawShark 3 Dec 2019 11:45:32 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Peteypedia has a medical report from when he was brought in after his accident. Doesnít shine too much light on anything.
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 12:54:09 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, Angela seeing her husband as nothing more than a shell for Dr. Manhattan to live inside... Her telling him she loves him before beating him to death with a hammer... all with a 'I am just going about my business' look on her face....

Is it me or is this MASSIVELY out of character for her?? If we find out that she's a stone cold sociopath from here on out.. then OK. But if she carries on business-as-usual... can this be justified as good character writing? I don't think so.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 12:57:32 21,770 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I just assumed the "shell" was created by Dr Manhattan to house himself. He wanted to forget who he was and live a normal life.

Her husband never existed, it's always been Manhattan.
  • magicpanda 3 Dec 2019 13:08:36 14,926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Load_2.0 3 Dec 2019 13:12:19 30,330 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maybe all humans have a blue Manhattan inside...

I have a hammer only one way to be sure!
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 13:20:02 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If Manhattan created that shell, it's still a human shell with it's own conscious and emotions though, right?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 13:22:56 21,770 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Why would it have to have a separate personality if it's just a meat shell? I saw the personality of her husband as being Dr Manhattan with self imposed memory loss.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2019 14:21:47 16,041 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SuperSoupy wrote:
    If Manhattan created that shell, it's still a human shell with it's own conscious and emotions though, right?
    I don't think so, I think it's the same shell that are the servants where Veidt is. Veidt mentioned to the Game Warden their god had left them, which was no doubt Dr. Manhattan. There's nothing to say that Cal isn't one of those creations.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 14:22:01 03-12-2019
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 14:54:48 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I saw it as Cal being her husband and Dr. Manhattan was lodged inside his head without Cal knowing, experiencing feelings and emotions through Cal.

If the guy was literally Manhattan, why did he have to be stored on that in-head USB stick thing? Couldn't Manhattan just change back by himself?
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2019 14:59:47 16,041 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    EX-CAL-ABAR
  • RawShark 3 Dec 2019 15:05:44 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheeky old Dr Manhattan. Returning to Earth scrounge around for pussy.
  • magicpanda 3 Dec 2019 15:09:35 14,926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    EX-CAL-ABAR
  • magicpanda 3 Dec 2019 15:10:38 14,926 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Spoilers ahoy on this page.

Speaking of which, the Amazon Xray feature has given away the identity of Lubeman.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 15:14:50 21,770 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SuperSoupy wrote:
    I saw it as Cal being her husband and Dr. Manhattan was lodged inside his head without Cal knowing, experiencing feelings and emotions through Cal.

If the guy was literally Manhattan, why did he have to be stored on that in-head USB stick thing? Couldn't Manhattan just change back by himself?
    It's made pretty clear that Manhattan doesn't know he's Manhattan, and has been hiding out/living a normal life as this guy. And I don't think he was stored on that thing, I got the impression that was just the thing that was either making him look like that guy or suppressing his memories.
  • SuperSoupy 3 Dec 2019 16:35:29 145 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That would make more sense. May need to re-watch :)
  • BinaryBob101 3 Dec 2019 16:47:35 27,186 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, Decks has it right I think. Cal is just a placeholder skin. Still weird and very fucked up regardless.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2019 16:51:43 16,041 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Yeah, Decks has it right I think. Cal is just a placeholder skin. Still weird and very fucked up regardless.
    It all makes sense in the world of Watchmen strangely.
  • Load_2.0 3 Dec 2019 17:09:51 30,330 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The ultimate black face.

/Shakes head.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.