Watchmen Page 3

• One_Vurfed_Gwrx 21 Oct 2019 10:04:27 3,646 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    KarenJ wrote:
    What is the censored version of this movie? I think I haven't seen that one.
    Thereís no censored version. Thereís the theatrical cut, the directors cut, and the Ultimate cut. Directors cut has some added scenes and ultimate has the Tales from the Black Freighter animated sequences inserted.
    As I stated in my post I saw this on an Emirates flight, that was censored, but obviously it isn't a version we as buyers could find today without specifically seeking it out ;)

I was thinking of watching it again some day and I was sure all versions used to be on streaming but now only the regular version seems to be around.
  • Stuz359 21 Oct 2019 21:10:46 181 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    First episode was alright, but no huge blue penis means no win for me.
  • Load_2.0 21 Oct 2019 21:15:53 30,330 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Alright pretty much sums up my feelings.

Worth watching another couple but I'm not hooked.
  • sport 21 Oct 2019 21:45:46 15,392 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    First episode was alright, but no huge blue penis means no win for me.
    There was definitely a johnson.
  • RawShark 21 Oct 2019 22:31:50 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím not sure if it would help to have a background knowledge of the comics before, or if it would be better to have come in fresh. Thereís loads of nods to the source material but I feel like Iím left with a lot of loose ends Iím trying to piece together...

Obviously Iím going to watch the rest of the series. Iím 37 and single. What else is there to do?

Edited by RawShark at 22:34:41 21-10-2019
  • RawShark 21 Oct 2019 22:32:29 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Stuz359 the shiny blue penis is coming. Shinier and penisier than ever.
  • RawShark 21 Oct 2019 22:34:20 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    KarenJ wrote:
    What is the censored version of this movie? I think I haven't seen that one.
    Thereís no censored version. Thereís the theatrical cut, the directors cut, and the Ultimate cut. Directors cut has some added scenes and ultimate has the Tales from the Black Freighter animated sequences inserted.
    As I stated in my post I saw this on an Emirates flight, that was censored, but obviously it isn't a version we as buyers could find today without specifically seeking it out ;)

I was thinking of watching it again some day and I was sure all versions used to be on streaming but now only the regular version seems to be around.
    Oh airline movies are always cut and edited for online viewing. That doesnít count.
  • richarddavies 21 Oct 2019 22:34:31 6,895 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    And in 4K.

Edited by richarddavies at 22:35:02 21-10-2019
  • Syrette 21 Oct 2019 22:36:34 50,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Thought it was awesome.
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2019 22:40:06 24,526 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iíve got some pictures of my own penis that I ran through instagramís ďRio de janeiroĒ filter if anyone need a quick blue dick fix?
  • neilka 21 Oct 2019 22:41:18 22,886 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    And in 4K.
    Or 720p if you want to legally stream the show in the UK. In 2019.
  • RawShark 21 Oct 2019 22:44:35 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As well as the obvious username issues, as someone who literally has a canvas picture of Rorschach on my living room wall, I canít help but feel someone is trolling me.
  • elstoof 21 Oct 2019 22:49:13 24,526 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like you trolled yourself with those light furnishings
  • nickthegun 21 Oct 2019 23:05:31 79,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Alright pretty much sums up my feelings.
    Same, I think.

The first scene was great and there were a few flashes of brilliance in there but the 'IF EVERYONE WEARS MASKS HOW DO WE KNOW WHOS THE BAD GUY?!?' thing was pretty heavy handed and a bit route one and, unfortunately, it pulled out the biggest pilot episode cliche going, which deflated any sense of tension.

Still, nice that they chose the comic book ending to go with and it's filled with a lot of nice little details from there, so I'm going to stick with it.
  • nickthegun 21 Oct 2019 23:06:10 79,448 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That feels really critical. A few years ago, this would have blown my tits off.
  • Saul_Iscariot 22 Oct 2019 00:07:35 3,250 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It certainly missed that Wow factor, but it had some great nods to the comic. I liked the use of imagery to link scenes. I think it will be quite a slow burner but I am prepared to stick with it as there is very little on TV that interests me at the moment.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Oct 2019 04:52:25 21,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's some supplementary material on the HBO site, mostly to do with what happened in the time between the end of the comic and the start of the show. I really liked the bit about Rorschach's journal.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
  • fontgeeksogood 22 Oct 2019 06:42:16 7,787 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Iíve got some pictures of my own penis that I ran through instagramís ďRio de janeiroĒ filter if anyone need a quick blue dick fix?
    Magnify
    Enhance
  • elstoof 22 Oct 2019 06:54:32 24,526 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Those are the words I shout as my erection unfurls, like the hero in a 90s cartoon
  • RawShark 22 Oct 2019 09:17:49 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    There's some supplementary material on the HBO site, mostly to do with what happened in the time between the end of the comic and the start of the show. I really liked the bit about Rorschach's journal.

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia
    This feels a lot like homework.
  • IronGiant 23 Oct 2019 22:37:48 5,978 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Enjoyed the first episode, especially the music by Reznor/Ross, Iím intruiged to see where the story goes and will definitely get the soundtrack!
  • ZuluHero 23 Oct 2019 23:40:13 7,694 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't get through the first episode, fell asleep. Had moments that interested me, but generally dull. Shame really as I loved the graphic novel.

I shan't be watching the watchmen.

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:41:28 23-10-2019
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2019 09:17:15 50,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like you gave it a fair chance...
  • Deleted user 24 October 2019 10:52:52
    How Lindelof is this then? Am I going to watch it wishing I was watching series 2 of The Boys?

Edited by adamasunder12 at 10:53:06 24-10-2019
  • RawShark 24 Oct 2019 14:06:08 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's very different, and quite Lindeloffy. It's much less popcorn-friendly, if that makes any sense.

It's actually funny. Both The Boys and The Umbrella Academy are examples of disruptive scheduling. Amazon and Netflix saw a tv version of Watchmen was in production and so greenlit two similarly dark ensemble superhero series to tx ahed of it to take some perceived value away from another broadcaster. (See also: Antz vs A Bugs Life and many other cinema examples). But the thing is I think the end result of Watchmen is actually closer to Westworld or, indeed, The Leftovers than the aforementioned series.
  • anephric 24 Oct 2019 20:13:28 3,542 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought this was quite intriguing and a good start, but it must be mostly impenetrable if you're not pretty familiar with the graphic novel. My missus has read it (years ago) and watched the film a couple of times, and I was mansplaining stuff every few minutes. It also seems designed to piss in the face of Trumpian Americans.

The soundtrack is also fucking amazing.

Good stuff, looking forward to the next one.
  • Syrette 24 Oct 2019 20:21:57 50,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's enough material out there to get up to speed with the premise, the world etc, without requiring much effort.

To be fair though I do understand that people might not appreciate having to put work in to get to grips with a new show.
  • anephric 24 Oct 2019 20:41:13 3,542 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most people don't want to have to do background research, and, to be fair, it's a bit lazy to assume people know it all. If you were really smart you could write it so people could grasp the main narrative strands with no prior knowledge and the rest is just window-dressing/fanservice but there were a lot of very specific references in this that really depend on you knowing Watchmen well, not just "ooooh look it's an Archie mug".
  • RawShark 25 Oct 2019 00:25:36 979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Most people don't want to have to do background research, and, to be fair, it's a bit lazy to assume people know it all. If you were really smart you could write it so people could grasp the main narrative strands with no prior knowledge and the rest is just window-dressing/fanservice but there were a lot of very specific references in this that really depend on you knowing Watchmen well, not just "ooooh look it's an Archie mug".
    This is my main concern with the series. Itís core audience of Watchmen-savvy viewers is quite niche. But I think itís equally as baffling to people who have read the source material, so maybe it balances out?

Itís hard to say without seeing at least a few episodes though. I wish HBO would get with the times and stack their releases.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Oct 2019 02:56:19 21,876 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As far as the first episode goes, I wouldn't say that there were any crucial details that required knowing the background of the characters, or the story. Everyone is confused as everyone else, though maybe for different reasons.

The supplementary materials I linked to were cool, but I don't think they're necessary. Actually I think they're more interesting for people who *have* read the comic, rather than people who are fresh.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.