Following Disco Elysium Page 6

• Tomo 31 Mar 2021 18:05:36 19,180 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I thought they were doing full voice acting now... that was the point of the Final Cut version? Sounds like that's not the case?

Always seemed like a tall order doing VO for ALL the dialogue...
  • SolidSCB 31 Mar 2021 18:26:20 15,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's pretty much completely voice acted up to now but it's that awkward situation of reading faster than its acted out. I've barely put a dent in it as it is, god only knows how far back I'd be if I listened to all the lines play out.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 18:29:19 13,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah thereís far more dialogue than game in this one, didnít clock the impact that can have on playtime. Going to fire it back up on pc see how better it feels. I hear theyíve replaced one of the actors early on that had a really irritating voice, so that will be nice but unnoticed for everyone else ☺️
  • SolidSCB 31 Mar 2021 18:33:32 15,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Voice acting has been really good so far imo. They really nailed the inner monologue one in particular. I almost want to spark up in real life whenever it's trying to tempt me into having a smoke.
  • ChiefGB 31 Mar 2021 18:39:00 13,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thing is with this game, itís got a very strange style too it, very ďeuropeanĒ and yes the world building etc is dense. I could see people bounce right off it though.
    I donít think ď4KĒ really matters for this one neither does ď60fpsĒ itís just not that kind of game, itís a point and click choose your own adventure really so anyone thinking of playing on last gen I wouldnít worry too much.
    Dense is another word for the character development and choices (not in a bad way) plenty of impact can be seen but itís a easy to feel a bit lost to begin.
    Action players would do well to steer clear though if gameplay is what drives them.
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2021 18:39:54 18,386 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah that's me out then.

/Action Player
  • UncleLou Moderator 31 Mar 2021 18:45:52 40,448 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    On a dime turner, no less!
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2021 18:54:56 18,386 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ha, from the videos I've seen your character in this may be the one man in video games who moves more slowly than Arthur Morgan.
  • Sharz 31 Mar 2021 19:45:52 2,085 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just picked up from GOG using a vpn for £4. Only heard its great and know nothing about it.

Any pro tips for someone going in blind?
  • Trafford 31 Mar 2021 19:52:43 9,167 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Being sneaky is valid, not sure about the game though.
  • Tomo 31 Mar 2021 20:17:16 19,180 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    It's pretty much completely voice acted up to now but it's that awkward situation of reading faster than its acted out. I've barely put a dent in it as it is, god only knows how far back I'd be if I listened to all the lines play out.
    Yeah that's what I thought when they announced the Final Cut version. Tbh I ended up speed reading some bits of it. Don't get me wrong, I loved the dialogue and happily followed most dialogue trees but you can get the gist of a lot of conversations without lingering on every word.
  • Tomo 31 Mar 2021 20:29:32 19,180 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sharz wrote:
    Just picked up from GOG using a vpn for £4. Only heard its great and know nothing about it.

Any pro tips for someone going in blind?
    Honestly, there's not much to the game. It's a glorified point and click game with some awesome RPG mechanics bolted on.

A small few tips, some of which took me a little while to realise:
    - Embrace failure. It's often fucking hilarious
    - Keep the clothes you find, even if you think they seem a bit rubbish. You can combine them all in different ways to tip the balance of the skill checks in your favour
    - Drugs/cigs/alcohol can be used to tip checks in your favour
    - Keep your morale and health at least two above zero. It's possible to fail a check suddenly and lose two pips and then you're dead. It's rare, but I didn't realise this and died talking to a mirror...
    - If you are tight on money, sell the postcards and you can also get a plastic bag which when equipped highlights bottles which can be sold for money
    - The politics of the various factions involved is quite complicated. With all the reading, this was one area that I didn't pay so much attention (and it also reflected my personal role-playing). If I was going in afresh, I'd maybe jot down the names of the different factions/people/who's communist/who's fascist etc, just so I can glance across when someone is referring to them.

Bout it tbh. Just have a blast. Once the story sucks you in, it's hard to put down.
  • Tomo 31 Mar 2021 20:30:31 19,180 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And remember: disco baby
  • Garfy 31 Mar 2021 21:13:47 1,536 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hardcore! Hardcore to the mega!!
  • JamboWayOh 31 Mar 2021 21:54:10 23,585 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cock carousels.
  • Humperfunk 31 Mar 2021 23:13:46 8,532 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stuck another good three or so hours in tonight and I really am loving it. Find myself laughing out loud, or LOLing I guess, quite a lot. Really well written and voiced, the internal monologue in particular is great, can't imagine the game without it.
  • Trafford 1 Apr 2021 06:30:44 9,167 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just bought this, Division 2 dlc and re subbed to PS+ .
    Watta morning!
  • Tuffty 1 Apr 2021 10:44:30 4,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bought it even though I have a backlog I want to work through first. I tried an hour last night just to see and now I'm thinking of what I can burn through just to start playing this instead. Seems really cool. Playing on PS5 and not sure if the PC version is the same but there are times when I want to interact with an object or person and pressing x first time was unresponsive, but pressing again then seemed to get it to work. A small annoyance that could build up over time, especially if there's going to be any time sensitive moments.

Edited by Tuffty at 10:46:20 01-04-2021
  • SolidSCB 1 Apr 2021 10:50:53 15,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah it grates after a bit having to basically double click on anything to get it to work. Sometimes I'm even having to click 3 or 4 times when my character hasn't made it exactly into the spot to begin the interaction the first time.

I've heard holding X instead of just clicking helps the situation a bit but haven't had chance to try it myself yet.
  • SnackPlissken 1 Apr 2021 11:57:30 3,031 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm almost certain this will be on GP at some point so I'm going to wait it out.
  • Tuffty 1 Apr 2021 12:53:51 4,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Saw the devs have said a patch is to be expected fairly soon which will fix some objects not interacting, voice over glitches, smoother controls etc.

Edited by Tuffty at 12:54:13 01-04-2021
  • Humperfunk 1 Apr 2021 16:55:09 8,532 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I've heard holding X instead of just clicking helps the situation a bit but haven't had chance to try it myself yet.
    Yeah I've been doing this from the start because pressing X didn't seem to work a lot and this did, so I assumed it was the actual controls!
  • mothercruncher 1 Apr 2021 18:06:50 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I'm almost certain this will be on GP at some point so I'm going to wait it out.
    Have a horrible feeling youíre correct, given I bought it yesterday itís almost guaranteed.

Iíve only stuck an hour and a half in so far but itís irritating me. Wilfully obtuse edge lord dialogue OHMERGODIWASLIKESOOOWASTWD and absolutely awful movement and selection controls.
    It seems so highly rated Iíll give it more time for sure though.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Apr 2021 20:34:28 2,301 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm a couple of hours in and though it's early days I love it.
    I think the writing is excellent. Yeah, its really arch and full of itself but I think it knows it as well and theres a playful humour to it that undecuts it getting on my nerves. As yet.
    You're bang on about the control though. I'm on a Pro and its horribly unintuitive and taking some getting used to.
    Some great voice acting as well. Totally over the top.
    I've never really played anything exactly like it.
  • mothercruncher 1 Apr 2021 21:23:48 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Certainly unique and I love the illustration style.
  • creepiest-lizard 1 Apr 2021 21:33:13 2,301 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mothercruncher
    I totally forgot to mention how beautiful it looks and sounds as well.
    Its weird. I think its amazing but I can totally see it rubbing some people up the wrong way.
  • Trafford 2 Apr 2021 09:38:48 9,167 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spent a couple of hours on this last night, the time flew by.
    Getting to grips with the systems as they are , even the selection glitch thing seems workable with holding X.
    So yeah, feeling positive, I could even love it in time. The art style is nicely different and I'm curious about this world.
    Looking forward to when the sun goes down and continuing.
  • Humperfunk 2 Apr 2021 19:30:46 8,532 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Around 12 hours in now and just find it so compelling. Absolutely hooked.
  • Humperfunk 5 Apr 2021 13:52:49 8,532 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One issue I am having with the game is how often I fail the checks. I understand probability, but anything over 90% I never pass, ever. Just had two in a row, 92% and 97% and failed both, ffs.
  • creepiest-lizard 5 Apr 2021 14:04:35 2,301 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Conversely, I've passed some really low ones. 12% or 23%.
    I have lost a coiple of highs ones as well though.
    I love ths game. Still just on the second day but its all just so compelling. I don't feel the need to tick off tasks or anything.
    It can all get a bit overwhelming if I think too much about all the different stats/thoughts and all that but I try to just take it all as it comes.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.