Following Disco Elysium Page 8

• Tomo 8 Apr 2021 08:44:41 19,180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Youíve tried it twice and not liked it, third time will absolutely fix that though.
    Sounds like repeatedly failing a white check until it works, so perhaps some fitting logic the approach.
  • mothercruncher 10 Apr 2021 08:27:46 19,126 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím giving up, just cannot stand the jank, even post the latest patch. Character awkwardly moving through unclear spaces, clicking stuff and itís not registered, moving the stick and the interaction highlight is way off to the side on an object rather than next to the character, some stuff is highlighted, others not, a character seemingly canít open a door without first awkwardly shuffling, for some fucking reason, to a yellow cross first, poor formacting of the reams of text, some of which goes off the screen and then scrolls again off the sodding screen when you try to move the stick to read it, uneven voice acting, some of it awful. The list goes on and, for me anyway, it totally spoils the great illustration and interesting story in the game. Wish Iíd never bought it.
  • Trafford 10 Apr 2021 08:55:39 9,167 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    😕
    Doesn't bode well for me. I've not played it since my first go on release.
    Been playing semi janky low brow stuff instead.

20% discount though huh.

Edited by Trafford at 08:56:14 10-04-2021
  • creepiest-lizard 10 Apr 2021 09:01:00 2,301 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is definitely janky as fuck. How do you manage to make the framrate and juddering so shit in a point and click game?
    Everything else about it does save it for me though.
    About not everything being highlighted though. It does highlight everything if you hold down L1.
  • andy10 10 Apr 2021 09:04:31 336 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's a shame to hear. I've made peace with the idiosyncratic controls but my two quests are still bugged, so I'm still keeping the game on ice for now. Seems like they're aware of the problem and another patch is on the way. With most other games I'd just plough on regardless, but I'm too invested in the various plot threads of this one. Annoyingly, it's the only game I really want to be playing right now...
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Apr 2021 09:06:19 5,045 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I haven't found the controls all that annoying. Press l1 use left analog to run to object of interest, push right analog in direction of object of interest (usually highlights correct object 4 out 5 times), press x and don't press anything else as it gets interrupted. Doing that and I have to reselect and press x again occasionally still. But come on, it is far from game breaking...
  • Tomo 10 Apr 2021 09:58:29 19,180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm amazed they haven't just put an option to use the controller like a mouse. Worked perfectly for me via Steam. Stick as cursor, L2/R2 as right and left mouse clicks. Other buttons for inventory, highlighting objects etc.
  • Tomo 10 Apr 2021 09:58:55 19,180 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    In fact, can you use a mouse on PS4/5?!
  • mothercruncher 10 Apr 2021 10:47:05 19,126 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didnít claim it was game breaking, just inconsistent and buggy.

This is the game equivalent of treating yourself to a Raymond Blanc meal and then sitting down to find you have to eat it without cutlery and with a pair of oven gloves on.
  • Decks 10 Apr 2021 11:00:15 29,411 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    In fact, can you use a mouse on PS4/5?!
    You can but I think the game would have to specifically support it.
  • SolidSCB 10 Apr 2021 11:32:23 15,307 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Should definitely have just had a free flowing cursor or at least the option for it rather than the hard selection thing they've got going on. It does make an already slow game even slower. Also baffles me that your character has to be stood on a sixepence to start interacting with something. Surely the entire animation should go through in one click. If it worked for point n click games on PS1 I really don't see the excuse for it here.

Enjoyable game but those little annoyances really don't help when everything else is so long winded already.
  • mothercruncher 10 Apr 2021 12:42:35 19,126 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not sure how many of you played the PC version- I didnít- but it sounds like a much better experience from the front page comments:

ď This is a great game, the PS5 version is just a mess though. It's such a pain trying to select whatever it is you want to interact with. Half the time you see the cross then go to click on it and the focus has gone off somewhere else and you have to try and find the select point again. Some times you have to keep moving about until you get in just the right spot so the select point appears.

I have this on Steam and it is just such a different experience. As it stands PC is the best way to play the game, the PS5 version needs a lot more work.Ē
  • Bichii 10 Apr 2021 12:45:23 4,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only played a few hours but I've not no issues so far with the controls. Move with left stick, select with right stick. L1 to highlight objects of interest.
  • gammonbanter 10 Apr 2021 13:58:58 2,201 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, mainly to avoid spoilers; could someone tell me if there is a disc copy of 'The Final Cut' or the original game available for PS4? I don't think there is, I just want to be sure.
  • StixxUK 10 Apr 2021 17:03:36 8,610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What level of voice is everyone using? I've found I prefer not to have absolutely everything narrated but am enjoying having a mixture of reading and voiced over stuff.
  • Bambot 10 Apr 2021 18:19:30 2,050 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is this quite good then? I played the first half hour about two years ago on Bootcamp on my mac and it wasn't really compelling enough to make me ever want to launch bootcamp ever again, eurgh windows. But now it's out on mac...
  • Humperfunk 10 Apr 2021 20:15:33 8,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @gammonbanter no physical version currently, but the developers have said on twitter that it will be released physically later this year.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Apr 2021 20:17:04 17,132 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How have people found the patch on PS4?

Ive not had a chance since it came out
  • monkman76 10 Apr 2021 20:38:42 18,386 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago

Edited by monkman76 at 20:39:10 10-04-2021
  • Bichii 10 Apr 2021 23:37:33 4,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Honestly I love this so much. Pretty much every conversation I am fully involved and love. I'm fully embracing playing the fully abusive mad man who is also a fully raging feminist. :).
  • sirtacos 11 Apr 2021 03:21:31 8,279 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii

That's my guy too! Absolutely nuts - volatile and violent, socially inept to the point of being repulsive, and a total creep to women, but also inexplicably a militant feminist, ardent humanist, and fanatical communist savant.

It reminded me of the best moments playing a Malkavian in Vampires the Masquerade Bloodlines

Edited by sirtacos at 03:22:10 11-04-2021
  • chopsen 11 Apr 2021 11:55:42 21,840 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah, this is making me want to replay it.

My first run through my character was on a redemption arc after hitting a all time low.
  • gammonbanter 11 Apr 2021 23:45:05 2,201 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    @gammonbanter no physical version currently, but the developers have said on twitter that it will be released physically later this year.
    Cheers HF, I can't wait to get stuck in!
  • Bichii 12 Apr 2021 09:13:10 4,464 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am the most sarcastic arsehole in nearly all my interactions and I still haven't got a whole carton of cigarettes to smoke that my tie wants so badly. :). I tried to steal one out of the mouth of a trucker but failed. Just playing it in 30-60 minute chunks but I feel it suits that perfectly. I just love how well it's written, I've yet to skip a single piece of dialogue.
  • Humperfunk 12 Apr 2021 16:52:44 8,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Patch 1.3 is out which apparently fixes a fair bit of stuff. Thought I'd let you all know as will take EG probably two or three days to report it.
  • andy10 12 Apr 2021 18:12:40 336 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well the patch has fixed the two quests I couldn't progress, interaction seems way better (though not sure if this was the result of last week's patch), and I can unlock slots in the thought cabinet! Happy days.
  • Hicksy 12 Apr 2021 22:22:40 2,669 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is a definite buy for me but Iím hanging out for the physical release hopefully with some packaged goodies! RPGís being my favourite gaming genre gotta feed that collection bug! This does sound and looks wonderful in a unique kind of way!
  • myiagros 12 Apr 2021 23:04:07 1,476 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hicksy wrote:
    This is a definite buy for me but Iím hanging out for the physical release hopefully with some packaged goodies! RPGís being my favourite gaming genre gotta feed that collection bug! This does sound and looks wonderful in a unique kind of way!
    Collectors edition from iam8bit:

https://www.iam8bit.com/products/disco-elysium-the-final-cut

I'm waiting for the physical standard edition.
  • MrZappa 13 Apr 2021 07:42:00 35 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Humperfunk Thanks for the heads up! Just updated and no time to play but noticed that the game starts up much more smoothly to the title screen - no sign of the stuttering that was there before. This update is perfectly timed as Iím just about to do the sandcastle interaction that was previously bugged.

Iíve enjoyed every moment with this on PS5 so far. One of the best things Iíve played since getting back into gaming with Breath of the Wild when the Switch launched in 2017.
  • Hicksy 13 Apr 2021 07:46:31 2,669 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wow thatís some good looking Collectorís Edition right there. Could I get something similar without the statue and a smaller art book for around $80 please?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.