Following Disco Elysium Page 2

• Tomo 1 Nov 2020 11:25:26 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is genuinely, repeatedly hilarious so far. I can't stop laughing at the dialogue options. It's totally insane :D

"Cock carousel"
  • andytheadequate 1 Nov 2020 18:23:20 9,542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My favourite thing about the game is that it's the only RPG I've ever played where there isn't a "wrong" way of playing it's either through the choices made or your character's stats. Was easily my goty, I hope they do an expansion or sequel.
  • Garfy 1 Nov 2020 21:04:20 1,536 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Poor Garte and the cock carousel 😂
  • Tomo 1 Nov 2020 21:09:18 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    My favourite thing about the game is that it's the only RPG I've ever played where there isn't a "wrong" way of playing it's either through the choices made or your character's stats. Was easily my goty, I hope they do an expansion or sequel.
    Yeah, it's a really nice mechanic. I've got my GF playing it now too after she heard my evil giggles. She likes narrative games especially ones that don't require much gaming dexterity, so this is absolutely perfect.
  • FoxMoody 2 Nov 2020 08:03:39 144 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I'm a HUGE fan of Planescape: Torment and I bought Disco Elysium mostly because it's text heavy.
    And boy oh boy do I love Disco Elysium. It does loose it's footing at the end and leaves you thinking about lot of things but all in all it's one of the best games I've played.
    Also planning on replaying it soon playing just a dumb brute.
    I recon it's gonna be amazing.
  • Tomo 4 Nov 2020 00:02:32 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gahhhh. Infuriating moment tonight.

Hit zero morale trying to fix the faucet in my bedroom thinking I had a spare morale unit in supply. My first experience of Game Over - didn't even realise it was a thing. Fucking autosave system hadn't kicked in for over an hour and a half, so I gotta go back and do it all again ffs.
  • FoxMoody 4 Nov 2020 09:32:04 144 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Gahhhh. Infuriating moment tonight.

Hit zero morale trying to fix the faucet in my bedroom thinking I had a spare morale unit in supply. My first experience of Game Over - didn't even realise it was a thing. Fucking autosave system hadn't kicked in for over an hour and a half, so I gotta go back and do it all again ffs.
    Ouch. Yea gotta be careful and save often because even sitting in chair can kill you in that game.
    Trust me, I know.
  • andytheadequate 4 Nov 2020 10:26:16 9,542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it's worth having a few morale points, plus stock up on a couple of items that can restore it. I've no idea why the auto save doesn't work more frequently, I probably lost half an hour of play at one point due to a similar thing.
  • RedPanda87 4 Nov 2020 16:24:51 2,132 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I wonder if my compulsive need to manually save all the time in things has saved me or cost me more time in the long run, probably the latter, but as someone who's been PC gaming forever it's just a habit I got into and never got out of.
  • Tomo 4 Nov 2020 18:48:23 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I would if I was at my PC, but I was playing via my Shield using a Steam controller. Unfortunately, you can only use it in Lizard mode meaning you can only save via the menu, which involves moving the cursor across to the top left of the screen and doing a full on save, i.e.: it's just enough to be sufficiently tedious that I wasn't saving regularly (and placing my trust in the Autosave system -_-). Plus, my girlfriend also has a save slot and I'm paranoid I was going to overwrite it. WHY CAN I NOT EDIT THE SAVE NAME. Absolute PC game design 101 right there.

Anyway, lesson learned the hard way. I'll just have to rush through a load of conversations again, ugh.

If I have a criticism of the game, it's that you get thrown into the game with minimal explanation of the mechanics; no tutorial mode, a sliver of information about how the health system works, and little sense of how wide-ranging or impactful your decisions can actually be. Admittedly the latter does make it more exciting to some extent.
  • peppergomez 28 Nov 2020 05:07:02 54 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's an incredible game IMO. Fantastic writing. I felt like it was an interactive absurdist novel.
  • Tomo 28 Nov 2020 09:37:47 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I picked this up again last night. Work has been busy and my GF has been completely transfixed with it - completed it in about 3 weeks! My ambition to get it finished before Cyberpunk is looking unrealistic sadly. I will savour it...
  • Poorandugly 28 Nov 2020 11:19:21 647 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started playing this last night. Died trying to retrieve the tie from the fan. Love it!

Edited by Poorandugly at 11:19:38 28-11-2020
  • JamboWayOh 22 Dec 2020 14:53:41 23,585 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought this in the Epic Games sale this week and my word this game is brilliant. That EG review though...interesting.
  • monkman76 22 Dec 2020 15:15:38 18,386 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tempted myself. It's a lot of reading though isn't it. /lazy
  • Tomo 22 Dec 2020 15:17:40 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Bought this in the Epic Games sale this week and my word this game is brilliant. That EG review though...interesting.
    Wow. Just read that review. Fair enough, but way off the mark for me.

"Disco Elysium doesn't allow me to be the type of character I want to be - an even remotely kind one"

From what I've played, it's entirely designed so that you can't please everyone. Wholly kind people don't really exist in the game.

I do agree though that the thought models part is a bit undercooked. Being able to unthink them always struck me as a little odd, but I think that's more to do with being able to customise your character skills if you decide you didn't like an earlier selection.

The best thing about DE is the wild characters and ridiculous sense of humour running throughout. I really need to finish it.
  • Tomo 22 Dec 2020 15:18:51 19,180 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Tempted myself. It's a lot of reading though isn't it. /lazy
    It is, but it's sooooo well written. Also, it's getting full voice acting in March, which personally I think is not needed as I can read faster than I can listen to voice acting. But maybe that will help other players fully engage.
  • monkman76 22 Dec 2020 15:36:35 18,386 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh that's interesting. Maybe I should get it now it's cheap and wait to see how that pans out.
  • RedPanda87 22 Dec 2020 15:50:06 2,132 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I almost never listen to the full voice acting in games, but I like having it as I like the character to speak as much as they're able to before I skip ahead - somehow I find that more immersive than silence. There are some bits that I wait for them to deliver too after reading it.

Listening to full voice acting in Disco Elysium though sounds like a good way to make the game a whole lot longer.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Dec 2020 15:51:14 23,585 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Wow. Just read that review. Fair enough, but way off the mark for me.

"Disco Elysium doesn't allow me to be the type of character I want to be - an even remotely kind one"

From what I've played, it's entirely designed so that you can't please everyone. Wholly kind people don't really exist in the game.

I do agree though that the thought models part is a bit undercooked. Being able to unthink them always struck me as a little odd, but I think that's more to do with being able to customise your character skills if you decide you didn't like an earlier selection.

The best thing about DE is the wild characters and ridiculous sense of humour running throughout. I really need to finish it.
    You can definitley be the kind of character you want to be, it all depends on what options you chose to begin with. The impression I got was that the writer of the review didn't fully read the options in the character screen at the beginning, especially when they go on about reaching failstates which you can definitely get out of. I dunno feels like it was the wrong writer for the wrong kind of game.
  • Bichii 22 Dec 2020 16:04:55 4,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm glad this finally has a PS4 release date! March. I wonder how much they will try and charge?
  • Cadence 22 Dec 2020 16:30:53 2,575 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tempted to get this. Does it need a fairly decent pc to run it or will it be OK on my ageing 8 year old laptop?
  • andytheadequate 22 Dec 2020 16:39:12 9,542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    Tempted to get this. Does it need a fairly decent pc to run it or will it be OK on my ageing 8 year old laptop?
    I ran it on a 2017 Dell XPS and it struggled a bit. It's on Geforce Now though so could be worth using that, it's not a game where a bit of lag is noticeable.
  • monkman76 22 Dec 2020 16:49:13 18,386 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You'd need to get it on Steam for that though wouldn't you? It's currently very cheap on the Epic games store.
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Dec 2020 16:50:49 2,301 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What happened to the ps4 version? Would love to try this.
  • chopsen 22 Dec 2020 16:56:22 21,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    An Amiga 500 is overpower for this game.
  • andytheadequate 22 Dec 2020 16:58:16 9,542 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    You'd need to get it on Steam for that though wouldn't you? It's currently very cheap on the Epic games store.
    I think you can use it on GOG now too, but only if you download their client (Galaxy). It wasn't possible when I played it but I'm sure they've updated it recently. Pretty easy to check before buying it though by downloading Geforce Now and searching for the game.
  • Bichii 22 Dec 2020 17:22:10 4,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    What happened to the ps4 version? Would love to try this.
    If only you read the most recent posts before you posted :)
  • creepiest-lizard 22 Dec 2020 17:52:58 2,301 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bichii
    Ah, yes. I should have..
    Happy days
  • Humperfunk 16 Mar 2021 14:21:35 8,532 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Console release date coming this week, with it due to release before the end of the month. Very excited to finally play this!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.