The 52% Thread

First Previous
  • THFourteen 24 Oct 2019 09:45:02 53,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7607175/Boris-Johnson-call-election-soon-TODAY-amid-No10-split-going-polls.html

As much as i don't have the stomach for a GE right now, I think its right for the government to call the bluffs of the opposition leaders. None of them have the stomach for the GE right now because they know that the country backs the tories.

The will of the people will be heard.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Oct 2019 09:46:47 13,305 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oddly I think of every party represented in the Commons this is a bigger risk for Labour than anyone else
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 09:47:18 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mate, you don't need a new thread for this, and posting Daily Mail links to support your posts doesn't really add anything.
  • Psiloc 24 Oct 2019 09:52:42 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This is going to end well
  • THFourteen 24 Oct 2019 09:55:33 53,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I wanted somewhere that people could be free to voice opinions without being jumped on.
  • THFourteen 24 Oct 2019 09:55:54 53,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Oddly I think of every party represented in the Commons this is a bigger risk for Labour than anyone else
    Which is ultimately the problem with the system in general, there is no one party who will put country before party.
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2019 09:56:23 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The other parties don't want an election because the tories will frame it as a second referendum with a similarly reductive, binary 'Brexit or no brexit' proposition that dunces all over the country will fall for.

This will potentially lead to a Tory majority, meaning they can do pretty much what they like.

An early election is possibly the worst thing this country could do now so, obviously, get your money on one happening before Christmas.

HTH
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 09:58:00 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I wanted somewhere that people could be free to voice opinions without being jumped on.
    Dude, you're on a forum. You can post all the views you want but be aware that some people might disagree with them. If a lot of people do that then you may need to question why?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 Oct 2019 09:58:12 13,305 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tory gains are the most likely outcome I'd guess.

Even if it only compensates for the expulsions it'd still give them a slight edge
  • THFourteen 24 Oct 2019 09:59:10 53,527 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun

I agree with you completely, but ultimately 95% of the population is never going to read any of the detail in the agreement. So we either have democracy where we let people (educated or otherwise) vote how they like, and believe what they are told, or we allow people who believe they are better than everyone else decide whats best all.

I'm not sure the second option is any better.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 10:01:27 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @nickthegun

I agree with you completely, but ultimately 95% of the population is never going to read any of the detail in the agreement. So we either have democracy where we let people (educated or otherwise) vote how they like, and believe what they are told, or we allow people who believe they are better than everyone else decide whats best all.

I'm not sure the second option is any better.
    Who knew things could be so binary.
  • Dougs 24 Oct 2019 10:02:23 93,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Or we elect representatives with access to greater information to make decisions on our behalf, and be aware that those decisions should be based on what is best for the country not necessarily what a constituent's exact view is.
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2019 10:02:33 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You have literally just described why the referendum was such a cretinous idea in the first place.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 24 Oct 2019 10:05:40 19,435 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You have literally just described why the referendum was such a cretinous idea in the first place.
    Exactly. And ironically really stretching the meaning of the word ‘democracy’ as a result. Democracy isn’t about holding votes that are skewed in influence by the rich and corrupt who seek to benefit most.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 10:06:15 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Or we elect representatives with access to greater information to make decisions on our behalf, and be aware that those decisions should be based on what is best for the country not necessarily what a constituent's exact view is.
    Fuck off Dougs, the PEOPLE want democracy to vote for whatever the fuck they like based on their own internal prejudices, privilege and what they read on Facebook. Proper democracy.
  • disusedgenius 24 Oct 2019 10:09:26 10,432 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Referendums aren't necessarily a terrible idea. Advisory referendums with no super majority requirement nor confirmatory process are terrible ideas.
  • Carlo 24 Oct 2019 10:12:07 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    And you thought Eurogamer was the answer?
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2019 10:12:40 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ironically, if the referendum wasn't advisory, it would never have passed the sniff test and the result would have been overturned.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 10:15:22 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ironically, if the referendum wasn't advisory, it would never have passed the sniff test and the result would have been overturned.
    Actually, when did the messaging change from the referendum being advisory to the absolute gospel that must be followed regardless of the consequences to the economy and fabric of the country?
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Oct 2019 10:17:40 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a fan at all of referendums. Public is too ignorant and ill informed to make sensible decisions based on cold hard facts rather than emotion.
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Oct 2019 10:18:54 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Actually, when did the messaging change from the referendum being advisory to the absolute gospel that must be followed regardless of the consequences to the economy and fabric of the country?
    When Leave won, presumably. Remember Farage's "unfinished business" quote.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Oct 2019 10:20:30 9,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    When brexit won
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Oct 2019 10:23:00 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, nice bait thread, TH.

This is a troll post, right? I can't tell these days.
  • nickthegun 24 Oct 2019 10:24:50 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Not a fan at all of referendums. Public is too ignorant and ill informed to make sensible decisions based on cold hard facts rather than emotion.
    I mean, for fairly high level, almost moral issues, I think they have their place. The Gay Marriage vote in Ireland, for example. You don't need to have read the Lisbon treaty to know equal rights are A Good Thing.

Something like this, though. No. Its like asking the UK to vote for their definitive superstring theory.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 10:26:30 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Also, nice bait thread, TH.

This is a troll post, right? I can't tell these days.
    I'm actually not too sure.
  • DamoVotf 24 Oct 2019 10:31:05 1,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Oct 2019 10:33:01 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun Yeah I was going to use that very example as a good exception, but moved stuff around while editing so dropped it. Agreed.
  • Tomo 24 Oct 2019 10:34:28 17,639 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nnnrghh.
  • KnuttinAtoll 24 Oct 2019 10:35:13 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DamoVotf wrote:
    We have had 2 general elections since the referendum and neither decided the issue. Why do you think a third will be any different?

Its a single issue its time to settle, PMs deal or remain (or if you really want 2 referendums, leave / remain, deal / no deal).

I mean if it is the will of the people it will be simple right?
    It will unite the gammons as long as Bojo comes up with the right one liners, and gets the majority he needs to do whatever he damn fucking well pleases.

Is my guess.

Edit - gammons isn't maybe the right term to describe Leavers, given quite a number of middle aged or younger voters shown on TV who are just as daft as the coffin dodgers.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:36:41 24-10-2019
  • JamboWayOh 24 Oct 2019 10:35:36 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Nnnrghh.
    What's up man?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.