AEW All Elite Wrestling

First Previous
  • SnackPlissken 25 Oct 2019 11:06:52 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Anyone watching?

https://www.itv.com/hub/all-elite-wrestling-dynamite/2a7855

Brings me back to the 90s when the crowd interaction along with the wrestling made it special.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Oct 2019 11:07:47 15,740 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What does MrTom think?
  • its-H1ggyLTD 25 Oct 2019 11:08:45 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I watched the first one and thought it looked fun. WWE needs the competition.

Can't be bothered watching it regularly these days though.

And yeah the crowd were clearly better than RAW.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Oct 2019 11:12:27 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I only ever check up on WWE through websites as it is so dire. I do watch NXT though as that is something entirely different and again the wrestling is good with great fan interaction.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Oct 2019 11:20:37 4,851 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I've given it a go - really refreshing to watch a wrestling show where the crowd are actually invested. Getting a loose WCW 96 vibe from it too which is great as that's what I grew up with. It's not perfect by any stretch but it's a lot of fun.

Cassidy's spot yesterday had me laughing my head off.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Oct 2019 11:22:25 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ah WCW in the 90s. I used to stay up on a Friday night watching it on TNT. I remember my dad rolling his eyes because nearly every match had an interference by the NWO haha.
  • richardiox 25 Oct 2019 11:23:27 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm so into it, totally reinvigorated my love of pro wrestling. In just 4 weeks they've got every wrestler over with their fans, something the competition actively avoids for some reason.

This weeks episode was brilliant, the Jericho's and Cody segment was amazing. Double or Nothing was the best PPV in years.

I'm still in shock that they've come from nowhere and are legit competition to the corporate whores that are WWE... A wrestling promotion that hates wrestling and fans of wrestling - to the point the words "wrestling" or "wrestlers" can't be mentioned on air. Fuck that and fuck them.

I subscribe to AEW+ on the Fite TV app as wanted to actively support them. Only costs £4 month and no ad breaks. Well worth it. Cancelled my WWE Network subscription. Can stream from the app to my TV or Xbox.

Edited by richardiox at 11:25:58 25-10-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 11:29:08 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you're up for WWE alternatives then NWO Powerrr is king for me

AEW is like the midpoint between NXT and TNA, which I do dig but it's not quite different enough yet
  • richardiox 25 Oct 2019 11:41:02 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AEW is more like WWE without Vince or without shareholders. It's leagues apart from TNA honestly. It's crazy how much talent they have both in ring and backstage (Malenko etc).

Will be an interesting year, especially if AEW can coax over 4 or 5 surprise signings from other companies. That moment Moxley debuted at the ppv was pure 90s wrestling feels.

I'd love for them to get Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, two guys who I feel still have love for wrestling rather than just a big paycheck.

Seth Rollins with his recent "Yeah but I earn more money and perform to bigger crowds" tweets really soured me and made me back AEW even more. It's like Justin Bieber saying he's better than another artist because he earns more and sells more albums. Pretty crass.

AEW feels pretty "punk" - wrestler's turning down more money in exchange for artistic freedom and giving back to "the scene" that made them. Unlike Seth who got made by the scene, cashed in and now goes out his way to 'burn it down'.
  • challenge_hanukkah 25 Oct 2019 11:54:02 11,621 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    What does MrTom think?
    He's busy contacting all the divas depicted in game on social media for their express permission to objectify their likenesses.
  • RawShark 25 Oct 2019 15:15:54 953 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They’re not called “Divas” anymore. They’re called “women”.

I haven’t seen to much of AEW but it’s came at a time where I can’t be bothered with WWE anymore. Not while they’re still performing in Saudi Arabia.

Add Cesaro to the list of wrestlers I hope to see jump ship.
  • Reacher 25 Oct 2019 15:27:37 2,890 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Raw drew 3000 viewers in the UK this week. That's shockingly low. Deserved really, as its terrible.
  • nickthegun 25 Oct 2019 15:41:56 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apparently, the figures were so low, they genuinely thought the ratings computer system was broken.
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Oct 2019 15:43:11 320 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    For those of you who are interested it's also worth watching Being the Elite and AEW Dark on Youtube.

BTE started as the Young Bucks doing a travelogue but evolved a lot more during their time in NJPW and RoH to involve story elements outside of individual promotions as well as the funnier jokes about wrestling and is in part what lead to them, Cody, Kenny, and Hangman splintering off to form AEW. It comes out every Monday and is a nice palate cleanser to see them all having fun as well as giving a little more insight into stories.

AEW Dark is the dark matches taped before and after the live show of the previous and comes out on Tuesday nights.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 15:49:01 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What kind of wrestling diet do people here have?

Im watching NXT, NWA, AEW weekly and keeping up with NXT UK, Impact and WWE with dwindling enthusiasm
  • Reacher 25 Oct 2019 15:54:32 2,890 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't stand the Young Bucks. Off topic but thought I'd share.

Edited by Reacher at 15:55:13 25-10-2019
  • Singularity 25 Oct 2019 16:01:56 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Love AEW. Have completely given up on main roster WWE but am sticking with NXT for the moment. That's still quality, but I haven't enjoyed the longer episodes quite as much, I don't think.

AEW and NJPW are king. Such a shame that they don't get on, Okada in AEW would've been immense. Will be interesting to see what New Japan in America is like.

NWA Powerrrrr is just a bit too old-fashioned for my tastes. Have only watched one episode though, so will give it another go.
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Oct 2019 16:31:31 320 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I watch some NJPW and AEW of late. I've given up on WWE and just read about it on Reddit/Twitter.

I never really got into NXT because my reintroduction to WWE was KO challenging John Cena when he was NXT Champ and then only started watching when Finn/Samoa Joe/Nakamura was the title scene which got rather old really quickly after Finn left and the Nakamura/Roode series was starting.

And I get people not liking the Young Bucks, either for their personality or spot monkey style. Different tastes for different folks.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 17:59:16 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Being first introduced to the Bucks when they were Generation Me didn't warm them to me.

I do recommend everyone check out NWA Powerrr. It's very deliberately old school and looks exactly like Crockett era NWA/WCW from the days of the original Horsemen forming. But it's also absolutely perfectly cast with everyone in exactly the right roles and totally buying into its vibe.

It's refreshingly bullshit free. Everyone wants titles and that's the aim. No weird cuckold stories, no supernatural hijinks, just big men yelling about the ten pounds of gold.
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Oct 2019 18:31:20 320 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Is Nick Aldis still NWA champion?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 18:33:27 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, playing it like a classy sharp suited territory-era heel to perfection.

I know he was only ever decent as Magnus but this is ideal for him.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 18:51:56 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Eli Drake of all people has absolutely found his purpose there too.

Cornette, Lagana and Billy Corgan have made all the right moves so far.

Even the theme tune is by Dokken
  • SnackPlissken 25 Oct 2019 22:33:41 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like the 10 pounds of gold series NWA do on their YouTube channel. I must admit I’ve not watched their weekly show but I might give it a whirl.
    Problem is that I can only stomach so much wrestling in a week. AEW and NXT are my main ones and I sometimes watch the odd old match on the Network (although I’ve decided to can my subscription).
    As someone mentioned Fite seems like a good option at that price point. No doubt I’ll miss some of Network though especially Nitro and Thunder.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 22:39:58 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Network subscription lapsed over the summer when I forgot to update my payment details. I kept saying I'll update and rejoin for the next ppv or when NXT was relaunched but never did. Can't say I'm missing it, I watch NXT "online" *wink* and haven't been arsed by the main roster ppvs.

Then YouTube has enough old Bret and territory stuff to keep me happy as far as my Vault consumption went.

Oddly enough Tyson Fury and Cain Velasquez aren't changing my mind.
  • richardiox 25 Oct 2019 23:33:43 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Even though I love NXT and the Takeover events, in the post AEW world the shows from Full Sail just feel so low rent I can't actually get into them - even though they've arguably got the best roster.

A large and super hot crowd in a fully lit arena was one of the key ingredients that made the attitude era great and it's something AEW has benefited from at every show so far.

Like someone else mentioned, the look and feel of the AEW show is very 96/97 WCW with the black ropes and the crowd lit with house lights.

I just wish they came along a couple of years earlier so they could have signed some of the wrestlers NXT has locked down. Undisputed Era are the type of guy's you would have imagined going to AEW. Unfortunately I think the lower card roster aren't even TV ready and the women's division is a joke. They're better off not having one until they have a roster that isn't embarrassing. Britt Baker is pure cringe.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 25 Oct 2019 23:53:59 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still think NXT is the premier show for in ring action in western wrestling but AEW is really something considering it didn't exist a year ago.

And I think PAC is arguably the single best wrestler in the world.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Oct 2019 07:18:53 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    NXT is a bit of a strange one considering it’s been the developmental for many years. It seems they’ve switched to making it their own brand now that AEW is Wednesday. But NXT still feels like developmental because I’ve associated with it for so long. If you look at Fin going back to NXT it feels like he’s taken a step down.
    I agree on that NXT has the best roster. They have some crazy talent there like Pete Dunne, Johnny Gargano, Adam Cole, Kushida, Tommaso Ciampa... to name a few!

At the moment I think I prefer NXT for the roster, but once AEW get going I think they’ll get more bigger names.

And I agree on PAC. Definitely one of the best around today.

Also forgot to mention about the female roster. NXT got me into women’s wrestling when before I was a bit of a skip forward guy (although TNA in the late 00s I used to watch them a bit).

Edited by SnackPlissken at 07:19:27 26-10-2019

Edited by SnackPlissken at 07:25:29 26-10-2019
  • richardiox 26 Oct 2019 13:50:11 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Best segment in years in my opinion:

https://youtu.be/V3znncwn79c

Then:

https://youtu.be/UScDHzMA6HI

Jericho plays it perfectly. Love his crying face. LAX were great here too. Also amazed how Sammy has gone from being a nobody to pretty much main event level in 3 weeks. He doesn't look out his depth standing shoulder to shoulder with a legend like Jericho.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 26 Oct 2019 15:17:02 11,561 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Here’s hoping AEW get the THQ/AKI guys to do the video game.

Love AEW. The matches are amazing. Love the modern style of their show with old school JR and Schiavone on commentary.

It’s exciting to see where they can go with the financial backing they have.
  • RawShark 26 Oct 2019 20:40:02 953 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I’m just glad PAC got through that excruciating “man that gravity forgot” gimmick in WWE. I’ve never seen so much talent absolutely wasted in the name of getting a semi-famous actor in the ring as that terrible Summerslam match with Cody and Wade Barrett.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.