AEW All Elite Wrestling Page 5

• RawShark 1 Nov 2019 11:04:48 953 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From what I heard the whole show was a disaster.
  • MiniSchnauz 1 Nov 2019 11:28:11 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @SnackPlissken He's just the most egregious example of it but there's been numerous cases of the company not capitalising on talent. Other than Ryder, the worst recent one was 'Rusev Day': you have an almost universally-beloved, insanely talented wrestler who, despite being mostly given the 'evil foreigner' gimmick, manages to get over with a simple catchphrase, and... no, nothing. Let's have you and your wife in another adultery angle, this time with Simon English.

I mean, what, including Lashley isn't this now the fourth or fifth time that Lana and Rusev have had to do the same type of angle?

And, yeah, I get it: VKM doesn't want anyone bigger than the company again, but is more than happy to capitalise on (and ruin) anyone else's creativity to push what he wants: See also Broken Matt Hardy, Bray Wyatt, Punk, Daniel Bryan,

He's like the kid with all the toys who'll only let you play with the one's he likes, preferably in as puerile a way as possible.
  • MiniSchnauz 1 Nov 2019 11:31:25 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Lesnar v Velasquez was a 2 minute psuedo-MMA-sparring embarrassment. It was terrible for wrestling fans and even worse for MMA fans.
  • Singularity 1 Nov 2019 15:58:35 3,189 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dynamite was good fun again last night. Tag team wrestling is the best wrestling (I'll fight you), so I really enjoyed the Elite match, and the tag tourney final.
  • richardiox 1 Nov 2019 18:21:41 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rusev gets punished for having a hot wife basically. His de-push began as soon as him and Lana publicly tied the knot.
  • captbirdseye 1 Nov 2019 20:03:44 9,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sounds like Vinnie Mac has had a major meltdown in Saudi Arabia. He's basically abandoned his employees and buggered off on his private jet.
  • richardiox 1 Nov 2019 20:49:34 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Sounds like Vinnie Mac has had a major meltdown in Saudi Arabia. He's basically abandoned his employees and buggered off on his private jet.
    Or more simply, those with access to a private jet (Vince, Dunne, Lesnar etc) made it out and those on a charter plane didn't. Although I'm amazed the Saudi's didn't sort them out. Smackdown will be interesting tonight.
  • MiniSchnauz 1 Nov 2019 21:15:43 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    There are various rumours about it, some more substantial than others. The most persistent one is VKM had an argument with someone there because they fucked over the supposed national broadcaster and went with another one.

This lead to... unhappiness and the talent being stranded for over 24 hours.
  • richardiox 1 Nov 2019 21:33:02 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So the Saudi's are getting back at the Big Mac by keeping his roster from leaving? Love it
  • RawShark 1 Nov 2019 21:39:05 953 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím enjoying how the AEW thread is also the ďfuck off WWEĒ thread.

Regarding Saudi Arabia, if you lie with dogs...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2019 00:04:52 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jericho's blazer has me swinging hard from "he's lost his marbles" to "the man is a genius"
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2019 05:28:51 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Best Smackdown in years

More engineering failures please
  • richardiox 2 Nov 2019 07:42:03 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hilarious that their best show was unintentional and put over the roster from a rival networks programme.

Definitely wanna see Bryan vs Cole though.
  • MiniSchnauz 2 Nov 2019 09:47:50 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You genuinely have to wonder how FOX are feeling about the biggest draw, Brock Lesnar, 'quitting' and taking the title over to RAW all because WWE booked themselves into a corner with The Fiend.

They wanted more of a sports show and less of the 'entertainment' side of things so I can't imagine they're actually too happy about being propped up on a gimmick that's already arguably been ruined - or, at least, very badly booked.

Plus, y'know, the whole point of the drafts some two/three weeks ago was to actually fix who was where and get rid of the godawful 'wildcard rule 'and give each show a consistent roster so there wouldn't be hopping back and forth.

In other news: I only saw the finish via Reddit but Bryan v Cole made them both look even more like superstars.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 09:53:37 02-11-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2019 09:59:06 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know almost everything about this show fell into WWE's lap by circumstance but they absolutely could not have written a better ending than the final Smackdown star left standing being the guy who left The Nexus to join Team WWE back in the day

(And by could not I mean definitely wouldn't and Roman would've been Cena-ing his way through the Undisputed Era)
  • RawShark 2 Nov 2019 10:03:37 953 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, I might actually have to watch Smackdown this week.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2019 10:10:45 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's brilliant
  • richardiox 2 Nov 2019 23:05:47 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Jericho's blazer has me swinging hard from "he's lost his marbles" to "the man is a genius"
    Jericho can pull off virtually any look or character. With this NJPW and AEW run I'm beginning to think he may actually be the greatest of all time in terms of character and longevity. He's a mid 90s guy, it's unreal. They should keep the belt on him for the first year.

What a huge and fortunate get for AEW. The timings really did alinge with Khan, The Elite (and Cody), Jericho and Moxley all coming together.

Guesses on their next big debut? I'm thinking Marty Scurll before Christmas. Shame WWE have everyone under such tight contracts now.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Nov 2019 23:26:32 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was surprised Scrull went with ROH rather than AEW

There aren't many big name free agents in play between AEW, WWE, Impact and ROH. I imagine some of the NWA guys could be poached but I'm not sure who'd they'd want.

I'd love to see a Callihan Moxley programme
  • RawShark 3 Nov 2019 00:56:45 953 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just watched Smackdown. Yeah that was pretty good. Although itís a shame to see the same old people being the whipping boys again and again. Hate to beat this dead horse to death but I doubt Adam Cole would have gone over Roman.
  • MiniSchnauz 3 Nov 2019 02:50:50 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Scurll's Contract is up sometime in November so most people are expecting him to show up at the New Year show involved in either a Hangman or Kenny turn. Flip is with RoH for another year at least.

And yeah, I knew Cole was going over the moment the match was agreed for obvious reasons. It won't hurt Bryan in the least and he had a great match. You can't really have a great match with Superman punches and spears.

Oh, wait. He has a Samoan drop too, doesn't he?
  • SnackPlissken 3 Nov 2019 08:04:48 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I still canít bring myself to watch Smackdown even though it had some decent moments. I just know the next week itíll be back to normal and that would be it.
    Hopefully a lot of the roster that were stranded ask for their release. Sound like the Saudiís are upset the feed was pulled and they also owed a fuck tonne of money haha..
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Nov 2019 10:59:35 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My guess is that they see how much praise Smackdown got so they try and replicate it on Raw and it feels forced and corny.

My guess would be that if Roman had been there his match vs Cole would've ended with no contest as the NXT roster runs the ring to interfere rather than the clear finish the Bryan match had.

I think everyone came off stronger for it being super competitive. Bryan went down fighting like a champ and Cole got to show that NXT are a real threat capable of outworking the workhorse of the brand.
  • SnackPlissken 4 Nov 2019 07:36:34 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I mean itís me complaining for the sake of complaining ha. I get your point as the NXT roster looks strong again. I fear itíll be business as usual this coming Smackdown.

Have you seen Jericho has proposed a match at Wrestle Kingdom 14? Hopefully this means AEW can partner more with NJPW (Iím sure I read a while back NJPW didnít want to).
  • SnackPlissken 4 Nov 2019 07:37:22 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And Iíve answered my own question

Jericho's contract with AEW allows him to make some appearances for NJPW. His last appearance for NJPW was in June at Dominion when he lost to Kazuchika Okada.
  • richardiox 4 Nov 2019 08:30:28 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's ridiculous how Jericho can do NJPW shows but
    Omega can't and yet he wrestled at a DDT show this weekend. AEW has really fucked omega - or he's fucked himself. He's gone from headlining Tokyo Dome and the worlds top rated wrestler to upper mid card gimmick matches with Joey Janella
  • MiniSchnauz 4 Nov 2019 09:11:33 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Kenny and Mox have stipulations in their contract they can do shows with NJPW if NJPW request them. Moxley's contract with NJPW ends right after WK14 and I'd hazard that if Ibushi wins the heavyweight title at the Tokyo Dome then Kenny will be there.

Even though Kenny's Undertale-inspired Halloween entrance *really* hinted strongly at something NJPW-related, word is that relations between AEW and NJPW are still extremely frosty and with NJPW announcing New Japan Pro Wrestling of America a few weeks back then the idea that they'd use AEW as a partner seems very unlikely in getting their own US promotion off the ground.
  • SnackPlissken 4 Nov 2019 10:23:56 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Didn't the G1 special bomb last year as they didn't sell nearly enough tickets? I'm surprised they're going alone in the US with such a tough market. We're not short of watching wrestling these days. I struggle to pack in AEW and NXT..
  • MiniSchnauz 4 Nov 2019 10:38:19 320 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well, they have their LA Dojo but I think it's a big ask to establish a new US promotion without many homegrown stars and without established US names. With RoH allegedly rapidly sinking (by the sounds of it), it's possible they could grab some names from there but, with the exception of the injured Jay Lethal and Marty Scurll, there's not many household names to bring eyes to the product.

Personally, it was just a 'fuck you' to AEW (for stealing their US stars) and WWE (for trying to buy STARDOM). Besides announcing it I don't think they've actually done anything about it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Nov 2019 11:37:18 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Saudi flight "delay" story is getting ever more complex and corrupt

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.