AEW All Elite Wrestling Page 6

• simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Nov 2019 11:41:47 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ROH has totally fallen off my radar if I'm honest. AEW was always a bigger immediate threat to them, then TNA before WWE.

Although Impact is unkillable somehow
  • MiniSchnauz 4 Nov 2019 12:17:11 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    The Saudi flight "delay" story is getting ever more complex and corrupt
    I just find it hilarious. As Meltzer said from a source, it's just a 'dick-waving competition'.

Also quite funny watching Reddit as all the WWE apologists (admittedly in the face of some ridiculous X-Files-type conspiracy theorists) were trying to handwave it away but now it's starting to garner traction on larger sites like Forbes. Also doesn't help WWE with the numbers of talent that have come out and made very negative comments about the whole situation.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Nov 2019 12:29:30 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still just another seven years or something left on the deal, right?
  • MiniSchnauz 4 Nov 2019 12:49:50 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Eight or so I believe, but I really am struggling to see it going on much longer.

Perhaps it has become apparent that Sports-Entertainment-Washing is not really money well spent in changing the perception of your country when the firm doing it is not exactly the best received either.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Nov 2019 22:32:20 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Extended to 2027 now apparently
  • SnackPlissken 5 Nov 2019 08:05:16 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I just read up on RAW. It looks like they're following through with an NXT vs main roster angle for Survivor Series.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 09:06:07 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Having a second NXT title match feels a bit lame like they're chasing the buzz the first one had. Inevitable but they could've altered it a bit.

I wonder if Survivor Series will be all triple threats or Main v NXT
  • richardiox 5 Nov 2019 09:17:52 7,800 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The NXT at Survivor Series thing would be cool if it wasn't for the fact there's a Takeover PPV the day before. The Survivor Series build kind of takes the heat off their own product to transfer it to the main rosters.

Fuck I remember last year's Survivor Series where all the talent are forced to wear red or blue and are fighting for "brand supremacy" rather than for themselves. To the point a big deal was made of keeping score between Raw and Smackdown. It's so cringe worthy. The implication is that viewers would root for one brand over another which is ridiculous at the best of times and beyond stupid a month after the draft.

Also applies to the wrestlers who just a few weeks after changing roster are now fighting for the pride of
    their particular show.

Got a mate a work I argue with about wrestling. He loved last year's Survivor Series saying how great the matches themselves were. But I'm such a negative old curmudgeon that match quality doesn't matter when the whole thing makes zero sense and puts the talent below the brands.

I try to explain there is a world where you can have both good matches and good booking but he won't listen. He's a total WWE fanboy and won't have a bad word said. I usually finish any arguement that his beloved wrestling show bans the use of the word "wrestling" on air - which to me says it all.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 09:37:45 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm not against brand rivalry in principle. The biggest issue I have is when deathly rivals are best pals the next night just because of the colour tshirt they're wearing. In the past they used to play up the potential internal rivalries to a greater degree.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 09:38:21 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And speaking of the W word it's POWERRR night tonight and it's a big one

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 10:13:32 05-11-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 11:20:53 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'm really annoyed at myself because I had a stray thought yesterday afternoon that went, 'I bet RAW ends in a brawl between NXT and RAW wrestlers.'

Who would have thought it?

Nothing beat my highlight of the night though: UE being chased off by Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins because... yeah.

Can't remember who said it in here but you were bang on in that they basically just tried to do the same thing again as Friday and this time it didn't work and felt off because you knew it was a copy. I loved the Rollins promo for all the wrong reasons because, as the top face of the company, the crowd indifference to his soul-searching and not getting any major reaction was hilarious.

And, again, it's really just another 'Authority' angle with Trips so I can't really care.
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 11:26:43 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @richardiox

sports-entertainment.

Sports Entertainment.

SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.

SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT!

"The home of sports entertainment where the world's sports entertainers sports entertain you at Survivor Series, the one night of the year when RAW and Smackdown (and NXT) collide for sports entertainment bragging rights. Are you not sports entertained?!'
  • SnackPlissken 5 Nov 2019 13:07:56 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I feel like they're spoiling NXT now by having this crossover. NXT is good because it's a separate thing. The story lines aren't always fleshed out with sports entertainment bollocks. It's good wrestling.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 13:34:57 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    205Live is moving to Full Sail just as the talk of NXT going on the road and becoming more sports entertainment-y is gaining momentum.

It's the crowd the cruiserweights have deserved for a long time, although I'm surprised the show hadn't been canned with the current programme shake up.
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 14:43:15 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Of course NXT will get ruined because Vince just won't be able to help keeping his sticky little fingers off the property directly competing with AEW and will feel the urge to take more control.

It's ironic that what Fox wants is a wrestling show - which is NXT - but they got Smackdown instead which has a tiny roster (thanks to Paul Heyman wanting all his guys on RAW yet spending all his time focusing on Brock) and whose current champion is a gimmick scary clown 'demon nightmare'. There's been no move by WWE to make it more sports-like and seems to be moving away from that by the second. As I said previously, having Brock bugger off back to RAW makes it feel even less special and focused on wrestling.

You'll all also be pleased to hear that the main event on Friday is the rescheduled main event from last week of Roman v Corbin which I am sure we can all agree won't be eyerollingly tedious and boring. Plus LOLRomanWins.

Edit:

If you want to see the difference between Trips/Regal and Vince then go and watch a couple of episodes of the Cruiserweight Classic that lead into 205 Live. The matches are dynamic, exhilarating, and non-stop.

Then Vince got his hands on it. You had PAC - who left because he was jobbed out to Enzo and wasn't given the time or matches he felt he could have had. You had Austin Aries representing entitled vegan arseholes everywhere but who basically left because his booking sucked over and over and over. You had TJP who left because they wanted him to basically be a male Bayley with a gamer gimmick.

And they never appeared or were given time.

I also think AA and PAC were annoyed their barnburner at the WM33 pre-show was left off the network and DVD so they didn't get any royalties.

You look at the talented guys they had in the CWC: Ibushi! ZSJ! (Everybody's other favourite hilarious Vegan).

So, who does Vince decide he wants to be the face of cruiserweights?

Enzo Amore. Over PAC.

The guy who literally cannot wrestle. (Google Simon Gotch on Youtube /s)

Christ.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 15:01:54 05-11-2019
  • RawShark 5 Nov 2019 15:49:03 953 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's the clipnotes version

"Enzo is an abortion...He tried to sell a clothesline and DDT'd himself."
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 16:16:15 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RawShark wrote:
    Here's the clipnotes version

"Enzo is an abortion...He tried to sell a clothesline and DDT'd himself."
    And broke his own ankle trying to baseball slide out of the ring.

And concussed himself on the ropes.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 16:18:35 05-11-2019
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Nov 2019 18:09:38 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Didn't PAC break his ankle doing that?
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Nov 2019 19:50:22 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    No, PAC broke his ankle with an aborted or botched Falcon Arrow I think during a match with Jericho. Jericho knew he was badly hurt immediately and the ref was chiding PAC and telling him to get on with it so Jericho turned round and had a massive go at the ref and got the match stopped.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 6 Nov 2019 00:11:28 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonight's NWA Powerrr absolutely delivered

Colt v James Storm was a great match

The saga of Tim Storm continues to be one of the best human dramas in professional wrestling

The Dawsons are becoming a true classic heel team
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 03:50:51 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The best video package you will ever see for Chris Jericho.
  • captbirdseye 7 Nov 2019 08:44:53 9,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It really is. The best thing he's done since his WCW days.
  • Joyless_Man 7 Nov 2019 09:29:51 627 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Ha, that's excellent.
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 13:17:34 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cody's promo from last night.

Definitely promo of the year. Arguably the best promo Cody's ever done and one of the best promos ever. Cornette likened it to Dusty's 'Hard Times' promo and loved it.

There's also, according to Meltzer, a teeny-tiny hint at what comes next for The Elite and The Inner Circle hidden in there.
  • RawShark 7 Nov 2019 13:20:08 953 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MiniSchnauz wrote:
    No, PAC broke his ankle with an aborted or botched Falcon Arrow I think during a match with Jericho. Jericho knew he was badly hurt immediately and the ref was chiding PAC and telling him to get on with it so Jericho turned round and had a massive go at the ref and got the match stopped.

Actually it was a baseball slide between Jericho’s legs. Jericho saw he was hurt so attacked the ref to force a disqualification.

Edited by RawShark at 13:20:39 07-11-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 14:55:47 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @RawShark We were both wrong.

Looks like a standing hurricarana.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Nov 2019 15:36:28 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was sure it was the baseball slide and Jericho had tried to finish up the match before berating the ref
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 15:39:25 320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I can only guess I thought it was a top rope thing because I was confusing it with Rollins doing his ACL in Ireland.
  • Alan_Wakes_Torch 7 Nov 2019 15:51:28 22 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago

Video where you can hear the wrestlers and ref talking in ring, injury happened on the slide, you can see him holding his ankle after he did it. Then gives Jericho a kick to see how bad the injury is
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Nov 2019 16:08:13 11,368 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It seems like forever ago that Cody v Sandow over the MITB briefcase should have logically put the big gold belt onto one of them.

They were so hot out of that and it fizzled into Cena squashing one while the other disappeared back down the card.

Then Cody & Goldust that should've ended with a Mania encounter with evil Stardust realising the error of his ways in the emotional climax of a beat down of Goldust (who in my fantasy booking doesn't want to hurt his brother so has offered no real offence, only broken hearted storytelling)

I'm very happy Cody is getting his moment

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.