AEW All Elite Wrestling Page 7

• RawShark 7 Nov 2019 17:02:01 953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @MiniSchnauz

For a minute I was going to take it all back, but then I watched the full match again and can see you cleverly edited the footage in an attempt to make me doubt myself. You're worse than James Cleverly! ;)

If you skip to 0:45 you can see he twists his ankle on the slide. He still manages to continue for a while (even doing that hurricarana) but the botched slide did the damage.

Not that you'd know it from looking at his face. What a trooper!

You were right about Jericho and the Ref getting into it though. Not sure why the ref didn't get the message and count Neville down for three on the schoolboy.

Edited by RawShark at 17:03:33 07-11-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 17:27:23 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Heh. I take it back, you guys are right and it must have been then but I'm still in awe of him carrying on and even the hurricarana with a (wait for it) broken freakin' ankle.

I bow to your greater knowledge and more diligent research.

As for Cody... well, I am pleased he's having his moment but I guess the stipulation means there's no chance in hell he's winning even though I really want him to after that promo. My guess is it's a good way for him to get beaten down by The Inner Circle, win by DQ (so he does beat Jericho but doesn't get the belt), and move the Elite/IC story forward as well as insulating him from further title runs because he's management.

It's either that or one of The Elite (most likely Hangman as he's outside the story with the IC and there have been seeds of distance between him and The Elite on BTE) costs Cody the match by accident so he loses and and the narrative can play out that way.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Nov 2019 20:09:54 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I only catch BTE occasionally. Has it played into the AEW stories much now Dynamite is on the air?
  • MiniSchnauz 7 Nov 2019 20:45:25 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe It's primarily where a lot of the actual stories are played out, albeit focused on The Elite. Since Dynamite started there's usually been one spot a week looking at the dynamics of the group with some tension rising between Kenny and the Bucks and Hangman and the rest of The Elite.

It's just a gentle tease more than anything but the general feeling is that Kenny or Hangman is going to turn at some point, most likely Hangman, due to a lack of support or feeling let down by the others.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Nov 2019 09:34:01 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jericho has Donald Trump Jr on his podcast today

I could put up with him believing every conspiracy going and his terrible pop culture review episodes to get to the wrestling and classic rock guests but not a Trump.

That AEW promo video is perfect though.
  • MiniSchnauz 8 Nov 2019 17:42:12 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Do you know what else is perfect? Perfect Purr Cat Litter. Only $19.99 from PerfectPurr.com. Removes all aroma so you can ... Drink it in, man!

And now back to the interview.
  • richardiox 9 Nov 2019 12:57:09 7,800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dynamite was great this week, again. It's amazing how they've captured the feel of 97/98 WCW. The Cody promotion was excellent and the Jericho vignette pretty hilarious. Didn't realise at first but it's a scene for scene recreation of that super serious Cody one from a couple of weeks ago.

So who is buying Full Gear tonight? I will be, first PPV I've ever brought. Really want to support aew.
  • MiniSchnauz 10 Nov 2019 12:50:53 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I literally have no words for Omega v Moxley.
  • MiniSchnauz 10 Nov 2019 13:32:32 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Brief spoiler for Full Gear and a nice little touch someone on Reddit caught with regard to BTE's long-term booking: Way, way back on BTE Episode 135 was when Cody first introduced MJF as his best friend. The episode's title? 'Full Gear'.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2019 23:11:43 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MiniSchnauz wrote:
    I literally have no words for Omega v Moxley.
    I mean damn ... guess he really was holding back in the Fed ... damn
  • disusedgenius 10 Nov 2019 23:42:18 10,192 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd got so used to WWE hardcore matches where they tease brutal weapons but can never actually use them. I honestly thought those barbed wire weapons would remain just being props.

It's definitely one of the better hardcore matches I've seen - there was just enough obvious smoke and mirrors to make it not completely grim watching.
  • richardiox 11 Nov 2019 07:20:25 7,800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The ppv was ruined by that Lights Out match imo, especially having it go last and be as long as it was. It was too gratuitous.

Thought the title match was immense, was legit concerned for Cody. The bux / pp match wasas brilliant and everything else was merely ok. Frankie Kazarian is a botch machine.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2019 07:56:06 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My main thing is that I'd have held out on the MJF turn.

Have him throw in the town then built the tension for the next few weeks of Dynamite before making the full turn. Tease us.

Also I am bummed that PAC's post-WWE undefeated streak has finally ended. He's the best and I just want him to keep winning.
  • Singularity 11 Nov 2019 10:05:27 3,189 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe I think that they may have delayed it, but he was totally getting over as a face, and no one wants face MJF. He now has nuclear heat, so it may have been rushed a little, but it hasn't been ruined.
  • disusedgenius 11 Nov 2019 10:13:38 10,192 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly think it was one show too early to turn. There was just a little bit too much going on in the PPV for it to stand on its own and it could've done with just a little bit more of a build for those not following their meta media.

The ppv was ruined by that Lights Out match imo, especially having it go last and be as long as it was. It was too gratuitous.
    At the same time nothing is going to be able to follow it, precisely because it was so deliberately gratuitous.

I overall agree that the show wasn't Takeover-level great. I'm definitely glad we only have to pay 15 rather than $50 for it. At that price I don't mind it being a little uneven. Fingers crossed they'll get better at building to these things.
  • richardiox 11 Nov 2019 10:52:53 7,800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whose next to challenge Jericho then? Moxley win didn't officially count. Is it a Page rematch?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2019 11:01:47 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If they're saying wins and losses really count then it has to be Page

Otherwise either of Mox or Omega would be great.

Jericho's back in Japan for Wrestlekingdom in the new year, are AEW and NJPW on terms enough to have his opponent there challenge here too?
  • disusedgenius 11 Nov 2019 11:07:35 10,192 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PAC/Page have a rubber match this week I think, so it could be either of those depending on the outcome (though probably Page to avoid heel vs heel) or Mox.

If feels like they're brewing something for Omega. What with his losing streak, getting more unhinged etc. Maybe not a full heel turn but hopefully it'll be something interesting.
  • Singularity 11 Nov 2019 11:07:42 3,189 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think things are pretty bad between AEW and NJPW, but I heard that Mox is independent enough to get booked at the Tokyo Dome. With him using a Gotch piledriver in the Lights Out match I wouldn't be hugely surprised if that was signalling a match with Suzuki.
  • SnackPlissken 11 Nov 2019 11:56:34 1,336 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I actually only watched the highlights on youtube. I'm more invested in WAR GAMES. I fucking love War Games.
  • MiniSchnauz 11 Nov 2019 15:02:38 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cody's promo last week used the phrase 'A Match Beyond'. WWE own the rights to 'War Games'. Cody owns the rights to 'A Match Beyond'.

'A Match Beyond' is a 5 v 5 war game match. So the Elite: Hangman, Kenny, The Bucks, Cody v Jericho, Guerrera, P&P, and Hager seems to be what's next.

And yeah, NJPW and AEW are NOT good friends at the moment. Mox and Jericho's arrangements were already established before they signed with AEW so whether NJPW would keep them on afterwards is unlikely.

I would also like to apologise for the following, but Santana and Ortiz could also rightfully be known as Ex-LAX.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2019 20:31:42 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wrestling is everything

https://metro.co.uk/2019/11/10/declan-donnelly-stunned-discover-related-wrestling-legend-dixie-carter-11076059/
  • captbirdseye 11 Nov 2019 21:07:12 9,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol, wrestling legend.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2019 21:20:49 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This means he's also now kayfabe related to EC3
  • captbirdseye 11 Nov 2019 23:29:50 9,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    EC3 could do with new job.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Nov 2019 00:30:51 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't get why he hasn't done better, he's a great talker, can hold his own in the ring and has a body Vince would kill for. Him and Roode both looked ideal main roster material in NXT but both transitioned directly into the lower midcard.

I suppose maybe someone figured he didn't do anything that Miz wasn't already excelling at but it feels like he never even got half a chance.

Unless he sneezed in front of Vince or something
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Nov 2019 00:33:01 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Roode should never ever have debuted or performed as a babyface, I don't care how over his entrance used to be.

His thing was being like a Horseman, a modern day Tully Blanchard, it was so perfectly formed why mess with the formula?
  • MiniSchnauz 12 Nov 2019 01:12:30 320 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Because Vincent Kennedy McMahon and his fossilized 'carny' ways where the good guys have to be cheered and the bad guys have to be boo'ed despite recent experience through Punk, Bryan, KO, Jericho, Ambrose, Sasha/Becky, Bray Wyatt, Harper, (and, hell, digging all the way back to the attitude era with DX, Rock, Mick Foley, Stone Cold) etc etc. where what people actually want are nuanced characters with a story they can get behind.

It's 2019. It's not all 'take your vitamins, say your prayers, and you can grow up to be an all-American hero' anymore. People are smarter, wiser, and a lot more cynical. Hell, let's use Vince's own words: They don't care if you're a good guy. They don't care if you're a bad guy. They just care that you're *THE* Guy.

Kofi shows you that. Becky shows you that. Heath Slater's run with Rhyno shows you that.

You give people a story they can relate to. That they can go on with you and they will follow you to the ends of the earth or injury or shitty booking, whichever comes first.

But no. Let's give them an Authority-underdog angle for the billionth time. Let's do the adultery/cuckold angle for the thousandth time. Let's make them look like complete crap and complete destroy any credibility they have because 50-50 booking and 'wins don't matter' for the billionth time.

'Oh, hey! That guy has a catchy theme tune that people like! Let's take his arrogant, narcissistic personality and make him a lovable nobody that is here because...? Fuck it, people like his theme tune.'

Or take one of the hardest hitting, purest strikers in the game and turn him into an 80's knock-off 'Artist' when he's 'The King of fucking Strong Style'.

or 'Charlotte was ready for Asuka!'

Sorry, I may be bottling up some repressed rage.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 13 Nov 2019 10:08:11 11,368 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Look in my eyes, what do you see?
  • RawShark 13 Nov 2019 10:22:17 953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's the thing with Vince - he has his favourites.

Sure, if you sell enough merch he'll put you at the top, (e.g. New Day) but he'll rarely base the show around you.And you can expect his top pick,(e.g. Charlotte) to be crowbarred into your programme at a moments notice. And she'll probably go over.

And if things aren't working out, chuck The Rock out there to vouch for you.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.