I have had a weird two weeks

First Previous
  • Vice.Destroyer 27 Oct 2019 12:41:52 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    (You guys will have to indulge me this thread. I am still a little shocked by all of this. But I promise you, nobody dies. This is not a sad story)

My old man was scheduled to go in for an operation to remove a growth on his thyroid two weeks ago. This growth had been growing in size since his last operation and years ago But he was worried about the operation so he put it off for years. By this time, this growth had grown to about 15cm in length. Massive. But I am told it is a standard operation. They cut in through the neck, move your oesophagus, sever the growth (which had developed its own blood vessels to support it) and because it is so massive, they will cut through your right side, reach in and remove the growth via that.

So far, so standard. This was a 13 hour operation and my dad came out of it successfully. After the operation he was stable, talking, etc. But then started complaining about a pain in his side. So they gave him morphine and kept him under for observation for 24 hours.

The next morning, the consultant looked him over and was happy with his vitals. Blood pressure, oxygen levels, etc. He was just about to give the command to remove the air tube and rouse him and that's when he crashed. Luckily for him, this happened during the change over. The night shift were still on duty, the day shift were already all there. There was also a registrar and also a consultant on duty. Even more luckier for my dad, the other people on the ward that were getting prepped for their own individual operations had not been put under anaesthetic, so all of their operations were cancelled and that meant that *everyone* was free to attend to my dad. About 30 staff. Which was great, since my dad was literally dying.

To cut the story a little shorter, blood pressure was dropping for my dad, because he was bleeding internally somewhere. So they gave him masses and masses of blood, which was leaking out as soon as they gave it to him. 40 units of blood in total, apparently. 3 times the amount of blood in a normal human adult body. As he was essentially in cardiac arrest, he was getting CPR for over 40 minutes. And as I was told by the doctor, in his experience, nobody has survived CPR from the ward to the OR.

They were looking for the source of the bleeding by opening the cut on his side from the previous day and filling his cavity with gauze. But couldn't find it. All the while someone was on top of my dad giving him CPR, whilst he was on his back. Then they shifted him to his left side, so they could look into his cavity via the cut on his right side and they could look right into his neck (don't ask me how, this is what I was told. I don't argue with doctors). And that is when they saw the source of the bleeding. They were able to stem the bleeding and stabilise him.

By that time, the call had gone round to the rest of the family that my dad would probably not make it. All his kids made their way from wherever in the world they lived to be by his bedside. But to everyone's amazement, he has been confounding doctors with his recovery. He came out of his second surgery in critical but stable condition. We were worried about complications, oxygen deprivation, neurological damage, etc. But nada. His kidneys were producing beautiful, clear urine, which was a fantastic sign I was told, since if you were to suffer from oxygen deprivation, your kidneys would be the first organs to fail. And that creates its own set of problems. He was moving his limbs, he was reacting to stimuli and voices. So we were all very hopeful for a full recovery.

My dad is a pastor, so he has a sermon to kill all sermons for the rest of his life.

And as a last little miracle, he had a problem 4 days after his operation that when the air tube was removed, his trachea was collapsing in on itself, and that meant he could not breathe independently. It was decided that this was probably due to the incisions in his neck, causing swelling. So he was given steroids to reduce the swelling and try again after the weekend. If that wouldn't have helped, they would have had to consider a tracheostomy.

So, tuesday rolls around and we then discovered that there was something wrong with his vocal chords. And the recommendation was to get a tracheostomy. My dad decided to pray for a miracle, since nobody wants a tracheostomy. And he has defied the odds so much to this point, what's one more miracle? And sure enough, next day his original surgeon checks him out and says (I am paraphrasing) "Tracheostomy? FUCK. NO!" According to him, that was an absolutely ridiculous step to take for a person that was 9 days post-op and was exactly where he is required to be, recovery wise.

So we are now expecting a full recovery and the worst week of my life has turned into oen of the best days of my life. Not quite ready to say goodbye to my dad yet.

But it gets better...(Just going for a quick toilet break)
  • Deleted user 27 October 2019 12:44:54
    Wow, happy for you and your dad

/Awaits chapter 2

Edited by adamasunder12 at 12:45:28 27-10-2019
  • Lukus 27 Oct 2019 12:50:55 23,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Sorry for all that suffering he's gone through. Glad he's doing OK now.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2019 12:55:14
    That's quite the trauma himself and the family have been through. Glad to hear he's ok. Tough guy indeed.
  • b-rk 27 Oct 2019 13:17:38 1,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It might be lupus, start him on interferon STAT.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Oct 2019 13:24:31 25,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wow, thankfully he is recovering. That is quite the ordeal.
  • Vice.Destroyer 27 Oct 2019 13:28:44 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thank you guys for your kind words.

On to part two. And I am unsure which part is crazier!

So, the weekend before his operation, my dad sends me a cryptic whatsapp message. It had three lines in it. The name of a person born in 1968. The name of a woman I had never heard of, titled mother. And the name of my dad, titled father. I am looking at it and send a message to my dad "I am confused. Have I got another brother?". And my dad simply sends another message back, saying "Your sister was also confused!"

So, long story short, my dad gave up a kid for adoption in 1968 and this gentleman had managed to track down my sister on Facebook by virtue of her maiden name. His initial reason for getting in contact was that he wanted to know if she could tell him more about his surname and the region of Ghana we are from. My sister asked for a little more information about him, he tells her about my dad's name and how he studied in Scotland and my sister replies with "I think we have the same father!"

Remember, until this point, not a single one of us siblings knew about this other guy. My sister put this guy in touch with my dad and my dad sends out his cryptic message to the rest of us.

Now, what's even crazier is that I then send him a message, introducing myself and say to him that if he wants to get in touch, cool, if not, also cool. I send him my Facebook link. And he replies, wants to also meet up, etc and sends me his facebook link. And guess what? The geezer only lives in the same city that I live in!!! Our kids have the same mutual friends!!! We live 15 minutes away from each other!!! It is absolutely insane.

Long story short, he was on holiday during the saga with my dad. Cut short his trip and came to meet us all in the hospital. First time ever that all of us siblings were together in the same room. First day, we all chatted getting t know each other and this new brother is so lovely. Second day, he felt comfortable enough with us to bring in his wife and three kids.

Even as I am writing this, it feels like a dream. But I know it is not, because I have the proof of it in my phone in the form of messages and pictures.

And scene!
  • crashVoodoo 27 Oct 2019 13:36:20 6,664 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bit of a roller coaster of emotions man, glad you've come out the other side with some good news
  • Deleted user 27 October 2019 13:40:09
    Wow. That is insane. Your Dad stomps on and you gain sibling. One that was already in your extended circle.

Surely a screenplay is next?
  • Vice.Destroyer 27 Oct 2019 13:43:30 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Haha. You know, funnily enough, I have a friend who is a screenwriter. I sent him a text explaining all this, and all he said to me is: "This story is a madness!"

And I have to agree!
  • Frogofdoom 27 Oct 2019 14:45:37 16,269 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad to hear your Dad is on the mend mate, those hospital times are some of the worst moments in life so it's great to hear one go the right way.
  • Lukus 27 Oct 2019 15:03:47 23,136 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The same city bit is what's extra fun about the sibling! What are the chances I wonder... Like genuinely.

Edited by Lukus at 15:22:13 27-10-2019
  • TechnoHippy 27 Oct 2019 15:07:25 17,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's quite some experience - I'm glad he's recovering.
  • Vice.Destroyer 27 Oct 2019 15:41:49 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks for your kind words, gentlemen. And @Lukus, yeah, those odds are nuts. Me and my siblings are all originally from London. My new brother was conceived, born and bred in Scotland. But the majority of us no longer live in London. Nor even the UK. And there is no reason why my new brother could not also have decided to strike out somewhere else. Yet here we are. I have lived in this town for only the last 12 years. And it is mad to think how often we would have passed each other by just by chance.
  • Vice.Destroyer 27 Oct 2019 15:44:29 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, quick favour. Anybody know of a decent (non-connected) template or app to build our family tree? I don't want to plug into one of the larger established apps like Family Tree or My Heritage. Those seem like paradise for identity theft professionals.

Just something easy to use that I can build myself that can cope with full siblings, half siblings, step siblings, marriages, divorces, etc.
  • Saul_Iscariot 27 Oct 2019 16:07:47 3,685 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good to hear your amazing story. My sister is coming to visit tomorrow and she has spent several years researching our family history. I will ask her if she uses an app to record her findings and pass on any suggestions she may have.
  • Deleted user 27 October 2019 16:17:24
    @Vice.Destroyer No producer would greenlight it for fear of it being preposterous!
  • Tonka 27 Oct 2019 16:34:33 30,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I love stories like these. The world is such a wild messy place. Life is so rich.
  • Load_2.0 27 Oct 2019 17:33:28 31,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nice to hear a hospitality story with a positive outcome!
  • Load_2.0 27 Oct 2019 17:33:36 31,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hospital even.
  • Deleted user 6 November 2019 07:21:36
    Hospital with hospitality is a great outcome
  • DaM 6 Nov 2019 09:18:17 17,455 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Wow! Good to hear he's doing OK. And your new family!

For family tree, I used this. Not going to say it's secure, but it's quite basic and not trying to make money off you. You can export/import stuff.

https://www.familyecho.com/

Edited by DaM at 09:18:40 06-11-2019
  • Vice.Destroyer 6 Nov 2019 11:41:38 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thank you!
  • drhcnip 6 Nov 2019 11:52:45 6,462 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wow, just...wow!

that's an epic few weeks, sir - wishing your dad a comfortable and hassle-free recovery, it's a fascinating story

and best of luck with the new family member - life follows wonderfully bizarre and unpredictable twist and turns
  • Vice.Destroyer 6 Nov 2019 13:46:52 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thank you. :)
  • Ror 6 Nov 2019 13:57:19 19,985 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    V.D, even though you said at the top that nobody died, my heart was in my mouth when you were describing what was happening to your dad! Very glad that he's doing ok, and that you have a new brother! What a wild few days that must have been!

Have you asked your new brother 'the question' yet?
  • Flying_Pig 6 Nov 2019 21:33:09 16,561 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ror wrote:

Marriage!?
  • Vice.Destroyer 6 Nov 2019 21:47:53 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    V.D, even though you said at the top that nobody died, my heart was in my mouth when you were describing what was happening to your dad! Very glad that he's doing ok, and that you have a new brother! What a wild few days that must have been!

You’ll remember that my brother in Uganda is disowned. I wouldn't want to risk this with my new brother. I'll wait a little. Let him buy me a birthday present. And then I'll ask him "the question".

Edited by Vice.Destroyer at 22:22:24 06-11-2019
  • Ror 6 Nov 2019 22:29:45 19,985 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :)

This tale needs a new twist. I predict that your new brother is actually user Psychotext.
  • Murbs 6 Nov 2019 22:54:01 24,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    O
    M
    G
    !
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.