Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order Page 18

• DUFFMAN5 24 Nov 2019 04:05:59 25,238 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Getting more than a bit fed up of revisiting planets several times. Just collected my new lightsaber and now I have to go back to a planet I left a couple of hours earlier!
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 08:16:19 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You wont be there for long.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Nov 2019 08:44:06 25,238 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Frogofdoom
    Just about to leave, in fairness I did enjoy it and it has moved the story on.
    Merrin is a great character and is probably the stand out graphically so far.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 08:58:27 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That fight was bloody hard on the second hardest difficulty, I had to turn it down as he beat the shit out of me.

I think you will enjoy the end section, it's one of the best bits of the game.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Nov 2019 10:30:24 25,238 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Completed. It was a good ending. Overall 7.5/10. Still lots to explore but I'm thinking wait for new game plus perhaps?
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 10:35:44 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think they have said they wont be adding it as it would break the flow of the game. Starting with all skills and powers means you could go anywhere at the start and it would mess everything up.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Nov 2019 11:04:46 25,238 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Frogofdoom
    Fair enough. I doubt I will bother playing just for cheveos, although I did miss one legendary creature...
    Just started Rage 2.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 11:43:11 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Managed about an hour of that before binning it, absolute shite.

Which is a shame as I expected a fun but hollow game.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Nov 2019 13:35:08 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished this. Not sure how I feel, it was good as it was annoying, very poor technically in some aspects which makes me strongly believe it was rushed near the end. I didn't agree with how the force mechanic was implemented more especially as the boss fights with force users was imbalanced towards them. If you're going to have a system where force can be depleted and only gained through combat then I think it should be carried over to the bosses, coupled with their almost instant recovery time and endless spamming of force powers, don't get me started on the final boss endlessly jumping round with almost no recovery between attacks it felt very cheap. It does sound negative but I think it's the best EA star wars game but it's not a very high bar with what they've produced so far. Shout out to the wildly different levels of quality between levels.

6-6.5/10

Edited by JamboWayOh at 13:36:23 24-11-2019
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 14:26:20 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There was an ability that completely restored all of your force power whenever you used a stim.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Nov 2019 14:30:09 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    There was an ability that completely restored all of your force power whenever you used a stim.
    Yeah, I know I had that ability but my point still stands about the amount of force attacks enemies could spam.
  • d_h1234 24 Nov 2019 14:37:38 228 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It annoys me that lightsabers were nerfed in this game because designers are too lazy or uncreative to come up with good solutions. Surely Disney wouldn't have had a problem with space critters being chopped in half in one swing?

Instead you swing at them and they get mildly singed, needing nothing more than some Neosporin. I miss the Jedi Knight games. :(
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 14:40:56 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Huh? You dismembered and cut in half loads of animals but Disney wouldn't allow it to human enemies.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Nov 2019 14:45:29 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    d_h1234 wrote:
    It annoys me that lightsabers were nerfed in this game because designers are too lazy or uncreative to come up with good solutions. Surely Disney wouldn't have had a problem with space critters being chopped in half in one swing?

Instead you swing at them and they get mildly singed, needing nothing more than some Neosporin. I miss the Jedi Knight games. :(
    I don't think it was the designers being 'lazy', BTW I do hate the term. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of upper control from Lucasfilm especially now it's a Disney thing.
  • d_h1234 24 Nov 2019 19:05:44 228 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    d_h1234 wrote:

I don't think it was the designers being 'lazy', BTW I do hate the term. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of upper control from Lucasfilm especially now it's a Disney thing.
    Well Disney doesn't mind the bad guy being cut neatly in half in The Last Jedi, or Han being run through the chest by his own son in The Force Awakens, so I don't see why space rat violence is a red line for Disney.

Stormtroopers are gunned down as literally faceless cannon fodder, children are murdered, people are beheaded, whole planets are destroyed, etc. Star Wars has always been a violent series, so even if Disney suddenly had some change of heart (or threatening letters from PETA concerning space critters) and didn't allow traditional carnage, then the designers are still lazy as far as I'm concerned for not coming up with a more believable explanation for why lightsabers suddenly don't behave as they have for the past 42 years.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 20:45:09 15,084 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Once again, you can dismember the animals in the game but not the humans.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Nov 2019 20:50:44 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're just lazy devs Froggy.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Nov 2019 00:12:37 8,763 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished Star Wars... for a game I was pretty cold on to start with, it ended with me actually in love with it.

I think I would give it an 8.5/10 just because some of the early stuff feels very restrictive.
  • d_h1234 25 Nov 2019 00:22:38 228 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Once again, you can dismember the animals in the game but not the humans.
    I don't mean that exclusively, I mean the way lightsaber attacks just leave those glowing burns, but it still takes five or ten whacks at it to kill it. I guess I'm looking at boss fights rather than normal enemies? Like some tin man looking temple guard robot thing, does that have anti-lightsaber armor? Or the AT-ST fight, I guess that's lightsaber proof too? I assume our ginger hero Carl can't just run up and chop it's legs off.

It just seems odd, and for something relying so heavily on the source material and trying to be faithful to it, it goes completely against it for the purposes of gameplay when it has to. Or I'm a colossal nerd and being too critical about these sorts of things.
  • Saul_Iscariot 25 Nov 2019 02:51:58 3,303 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @d_h1234 It wouldn’t have been so bad if the scans that you did mentioned certain species having a tough hide that would take several blows from a lightsabre to penetrate.
  • The_Partisan_Spy 25 Nov 2019 18:59:37 13 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Yesterday I finished my game review on SWJ:FO after 25 hours of gameplay, here are my topline thoughts:

1. The game genre is action-adventure and it's much more ACTION than adventure.
    2. There are "lite-features" of customization and RPG.
    3. It perfectly recreates what's being a Jedi, sometimes I felt being in the movies living the adventure as one.
    4. Character evolution is bonded to story missions.
    5. There are small bugs and it crashed twice in 25 hours of gameplay.
    6. This is possibly one of the games I had the most fun playing in 2019.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Nov 2019 19:01:08 8,763 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    perfectly recreates what's being a Jedi, sometimes I felt being in the movies living the adventure as one.

Disagree with this point massively, the force powers on cool down ruined a lot of early gameplay for me. I just want to force push stormtroopers off ledges!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 19:06:50 7,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, as I've said before, a Jedi regenerating force power by slicing up people and animals just feels plain wrong.
  • cov 25 Nov 2019 19:45:30 2,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah missed opportunity for green milkshakes to replenish force
  • MiniSchnauz 25 Nov 2019 20:05:22 392 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Rogueywon Kotaku had an article about it and how it felt off, at least for a Jedi, to create power through violence as it definitely equates more with the Sith.

They also made the point that gaining Force through blocking, dodging, or parrying would have made more sense for a Jedi but the obvious answer is it would have encouraged turtling to build up your Force before just spamming it and starting over,

Although I didn't like the system in Sekiro, I have a feeling that in-combat charges for each force skill would have worked better to a degree; it requires focus and concentration, and is tiring, so as Cal levels up it would make sense he's getting stronger and gaining more endurance so gains more charges.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Nov 2019 20:07:58 7,407 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MiniSchnauz Didn't see the Kotaku piece (just found it now), but glad to know it wasn't just me who thought that was a bit off. If they'd had branching light/dark side options like the old Jedi Knight games, then the system they've got would have been fine for dark side. But I'm struggling to imagine Yoda sat there in his swamp saying "Luke, if regenerate your force powers you would, kill fifteen swamp rats you must."

Not a big fan of Sekiro, but agree its in-combat charges system may have worked better for this.
  • Singularity 27 Nov 2019 11:06:31 3,207 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I agree with most of the criticisms of this I read, but I'm still really, really enjoying it.
  • ChiefGB 27 Nov 2019 12:25:14 11,869 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a instance in Zeffo where I had to fight 2 bounty hunters I died and then when I went back they weren’t there and my xp was just a point in the floor.
    Seemed like a cool fight but an optional/limited time thing? Anyone else had this or can explain why it wasn’t there the second time.
  • Rusty_M 27 Nov 2019 12:46:52 7,123 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm finding bounty hunter and droids everywhere. My first pair on Kashyyyk, I just pushed into a pit.
  • MiniSchnauz 27 Nov 2019 12:51:33 392 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @ChiefGB They're random spawns after the first time you face one. I had exactly the same happen on Dathomir and was confused when I went back and they had gone. I beat the boss, came back out, and there they were again.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.