Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order Page 28

• Phattso 23 Nov 2020 18:45:39 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    ...often forget the L2 to grab walls etc.
    PSA: you can make it auto-grab in the settings somewhere. :)
  • barchetta 23 Nov 2020 19:11:49 3,274 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Phattso ha ha story of my life.... rtfm!
  • Red_Bool 23 Nov 2020 21:33:37 2,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's a lot like tomb raider isn't it?
  • Phattso 23 Nov 2020 21:38:41 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, it can be. The older ones rather than the newer ones, for me. Which is lucky, since Core are no more, and Crystal Dynamics make shit comic book games now. :)
  • barchetta 24 Nov 2020 00:16:10 3,274 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Had to dial down the difficulty for the Ninth Sister in order to save my brand new pad. But then it was over without needing a stim...
  • daver 24 Nov 2020 00:42:23 127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    Had to dial down the difficulty for the Ninth Sister in order to save my brand new pad. But then it was over without needing a stim...
    I nearly did that as well, but instead I put it on performance mode, and the frame rate really helped read the attacks.

I enjoyed it overall, there's definitely things needing fixed if they do a sequel. Combat needs tweaked, the responsiveness of the controls were the biggest downfall - how many times did I hit dpad up for a stim, and it would start the animation, yet no healing took place?!

The environmental puzzles and traversal are its greatest strengths definitely, plenty scope for a sequel. They must be making it already, surely?
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Nov 2020 07:34:10 26,770 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @daver
    Any sequel needs NOT have Cal, terrible protagonist.
  • Phattso 24 Nov 2020 12:14:33 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That particular boss was a spike for sure - took me maybe eight or nine attempts on Jedi Master difficulty. Wasn't sure I was going to get there, but in the end managed it with stims to spare. I had six stims for that fight, I think.

Cal is utter shit - but then they're all a bit naff except for Greez. He's a really good - but entirely token - alien sidekick/comic relief. Some ridiculous moments where they all act like they're the crew of Serenity who have been adventuring for years, but in reality they've been together for about ten minutes and absolutely any character moments feel entirely unearned. I've gone "brain in neutral" for all the talky bits.

If they can sort that out for a sequel, and have a better story and some identifiable character arcs... awesome.

But, for the love of the force, have the first scene in the next game be Cam passing the torch to literally any other character and then himself passing into obscurity. :)

Edited by Phattso at 12:15:02 24-11-2020
  • daver 24 Nov 2020 13:00:03 127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @daver
    Any sequel needs NOT have Cal, terrible protagonist.
    Very true! I wondered if they could make a sequel based on the grey lassie with the green magic or something. She had more character in her limited screentime than the rest of them put together.
  • daver 24 Nov 2020 13:03:36 127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    That particular boss was a spike for sure - took me maybe eight or nine attempts on Jedi Master difficulty. Wasn't sure I was going to get there, but in the end managed it with stims to spare. I had six stims for that fight, I think.

Cal is utter shit - but then they're all a bit naff except for Greez. He's a really good - but entirely token - alien sidekick/comic relief. Some ridiculous moments where they all act like they're the crew of Serenity who have been adventuring for years, but in reality they've been together for about ten minutes and absolutely any character moments feel entirely unearned. I've gone "brain in neutral" for all the talky bits.

If they can sort that out for a sequel, and have a better story and some identifiable character arcs... awesome.

But, for the love of the force, have the first scene in the next game be Cam passing the torch to literally any other character and then himself passing into obscurity. :)
    It made me think - what if they'd set it straight after Return of the Jedi, with Luke as main character? Collect all his iconic outfits etc. He could have been running about the galaxy taking out the remnants of the Empire, trying to rebuild the Jedi Order.
  • Phattso 24 Nov 2020 13:06:15 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd be surprised if Disney let EA take any of the major characters out for a spin. Cameos at best, I suspect.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 09:10:55 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aaaaaand done. Had to knock the difficulty down from Jedi Master to Jedi Knight for the final boss fight because it was just too quick for me, but pleased to have done the rest on Jedi Master.

The crew finally felt like a crew by the end. They actually went through a thing. All the character moments that felt unearned would now be earned. Whomever it was in charge of narrative continuity needs to have a word with themselves. Itís so haphazardly put together!

Still loved it though. Recmomendeeeded.

Now to decide how much to go back and mop up.

Edited by Phattso at 09:11:25 30-11-2020
  • Salaman 30 Nov 2020 09:46:53 24,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I suck at this type of "Arkham' combat. I tend to buttonmash the attack buttons rather than block, evade and attack.

I play on Jedi Knight and after 2 or 3 attempts for a boss fight, I swap to padawan to get past it.
    :-)

• TheSaint 30 Nov 2020 09:52:02 20,758 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Same here. I was also pretty tired of it by then and just wanted to get it done.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 09:55:44 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm a ninja at the Arkham stuff - I don't think this is even in the same ballpark is it? It's trying to be a Souls-like. The parrying was far, far less forgiving than Arkham I found. Also nowhere near as mobile as Bats.

I only persisted with the earlier bosses in Fallen Order because I thought they were all "fair" for wont of a better word. They telegraphed their moves, the set of moves were digestible, and I enjoyed the fights. That last boss had much shorter, or absent, tells and would happily move from blockable to un-blockable attacks on a whim. I'm definitely too old for *that* shit. :-)

Nice cameo at the end there, too. Shame it pulled a Breath of the Wild and puts you in the "endgame" just before that final mission, though. Would've been nice to feel a sense of continuation, but ho hum.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 09:58:10 24,319 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Same here. I was also pretty tired of it by then and just wanted to get it done.
    Totally, my beef with the last boss was that why frame the combat as kind of dark souls lite but have that particular enemy have what seemed no Force power cooldown endlessly spamming powers with tiny windows to get hits in.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 10:01:27 24,319 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I'm a ninja at the Arkham stuff - I don't think this is even in the same ballpark is it? It's trying to be a Souls-like. The parrying was far, far less forgiving than Arkham I found. Also nowhere near as mobile as Bats.

I only persisted with the earlier bosses in Fallen Order because I thought they were all "fair" for wont of a better word. They telegraphed their moves, the set of moves were digestible, and I enjoyed the fights. That last boss had much shorter, or absent, tells and would happily move from blockable to un-blockable attacks on a whim. I'm definitely too old for *that* shit. :-)

Nice cameo at the end there, too. Shame it pulled a Breath of the Wild and puts you in the "endgame" just before that final mission, though. Would've been nice to feel a sense of continuation, but ho hum.
    Exactly, it felt jarring to have enemies that adhered to rules the game had set only for those rules to be thrown out of the window in a grindingly frustrating fight going from blockable to unblockable with almost no tell and no pattern.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 10:05:12 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yarp. Still, I won't let it spoil what was otherwise a really, really solid game. Needed better pacing, given that I'm at 95%+ explored on all the other planets but still only 80% on Zeffo. Perhaps that wasn't the best choice as the first non-tutorial location given how sprawling it is. Could perhaps have spread that sprawl over other planets. I liked it, but it feels way OTT compared to the others.

Looking back, though, it has been a really absorbing couple of weeks I've spent with the game. Thoroughly enjoyed that. And it even bought me enough time for Ubisoft to get Watch Dogs Legion patched so I can go back to that now. :)
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 10:08:48 24,319 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I'd agree. I'd hope an inevitable sequel has waaaaay more polish because when I got it it was buggy AF.
  • Salaman 30 Nov 2020 10:37:03 24,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I generally don't play these types of games since I suck at them, so I wouldn't know really.

If it's in the 3rd person and you fight multiple enemies and they have normal/heavy attacks, which you have to block/dodge I assume it's Arkham style combat, since it's almost the only ones I ever attempted to play before giving up on that type of games. I never went near the souls games. =)

I was excited about a new star wars game and bought it without even realizing it was one of those.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 10:40:52 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's really not Arkham combat. Those games are characterised by stringing together insanely long combos against dozens of bad guys. The new Spider-Man games use the same system. You zip between large groups of bad guys dispatching or disabling tactically.

Fallen Order has, what, six or seven at a time at most? Perhaps with the exception of the final mission. Mainly it's fewer than three.

It's Souls-like combat, rather than Arkham, so it's more sedately paced. Pick your moment. Lunge, riposte, retreat, repeat. Well, if you're me insert a few "die" in there too. :)

Something like the latest God of War is maybe in the middle between Souls and Arkham.

They're all third person for sure, but there the similarity ends.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 10:48:27 24,319 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, it's not Arkham combat in the slightest. That's defined by a rythmic like level of movement with clealry signposted enemies who will attack you and as Phattso says you zip quickly between enemies. This game seeks to emulate Dark Souls as the devs even said.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 10:50:22 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I mean, it's entirely academic if Salaman hates them all. :-D
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 10:51:59 24,319 posts
    Seen 16 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha. Yeah I guess.
  • Rodney 30 Nov 2020 22:28:40 4,982 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone else finding the combat is a bit spammy against larger enemies/bosses?

It works well against Storm Troopers, but against bosses it seems down to luck whether or not you manage to dodge or block an attack.

It just seems less precise than Dark Souls, or am I just shit?

Iím enjoying the exploration quite a bit but having to go back to the same planets multiple times is a bit tedious. Think Iím near the end though. Got the Holocube McMuffin or whatever the fuck it is, I lost track of the story long ago.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 22:35:05 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You really need to take the time to learn the boss patterns and when to block/parry. Some of them actually need you to parry on the wind up, rather than the attack itself, which can be a pain until you clock it.

Sounds like you just did the penultimate boss though, so only really one more big fight to go unless you mop up the Haxxion Brood or whatever theyíre called.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 22:35:56 27,234 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    (For the record I spent most of my boss fights dodge rolling and shouting ohshitohshitohshit so...)
  • Salaman 30 Nov 2020 22:43:31 24,107 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I mean, it's entirely academic if Salaman hates them all. :-D
    I son't hate them, I just suck at them and avoid them to a large extent. =)
    Every once and a while I end up with one by accident. Arkham (many years ago), Middle Earth, Shadows of Mordor, which I quite enjoyed in my inept button mashing way and now this one as well.

Never considered any of the Souls games as they have a reputation of being really hard. I didn't even realize they had this sort of combat.

So yeah, it appears I suck at Souls type games. Still enjoying this one though, light sabre noises, force push/pull and a whirlwind of flips and jumps as I frantically try to hit these 5 troopers around me. :-)
  • Rodney 30 Nov 2020 23:58:02 4,982 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Phattso

I just beat the double lightsaber Jedi from Yorkshire in some kind of temple.

It probably took me about 20 attempts and I really only got past it by luck. I couldnít really work out his attack patterns or when to block/parry. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.