New Mcdonalds strikes

First Previous
  • Stuz359 12 Nov 2019 22:57:19 280 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Article for reference:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/12/mcdonalds-worker-strike-industrial-action-poverty-hours-respect

I understand, these are London prices, but these guys are asking for £15 an hour. I know skilled workers in the north that would kill for £15 an hour. It works out as a salary on a 40 hour week as £31200 a year. I am all for social justice and a living wage that reflects the country, I think I would draw the line at a front of house staff member in Mcdonald's earning more than me, even if we are comparing London prices vs rest of the country. I'm a CAD design engineer for reference.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Nov 2019 23:00:40 10,573 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Selfish cunts should just commute daily from Newcastle
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Nov 2019 23:04:25 10,573 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A CAD Design Engineer - this sounds like a sexed up title like Visual Merchandiser.

Why are you deserving of the big bucks
  • Your-Mother 12 Nov 2019 23:11:51 4,728 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Letís have a title-off, whoever is most important gets to say what the living wage everyone beneath us gets.
  • KnuttinAtoll 12 Nov 2019 23:19:37 8,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Stuz359 12 Nov 2019 23:22:06 280 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I am all for a labour government, but maybe a bit Tory when it comes to pay for skills. Visual Merchandiser, can kind of get on board with that, except I have to pay attention to detail, like measurements, tolerances and such like, as well as host of other things that I don't want to go into because I can't be arsed and I'm still, economically, worth more than a burger flipper at Mcdonalds. At least, outside of London.
  • neilka 12 Nov 2019 23:30:14 23,544 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm hoping these are like airstrikes but significantly more delicious.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Nov 2019 23:45:17 10,573 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    I am all for a labour government, but maybe a bit Tory when it comes to pay for skills. Visual Merchandiser, can kind of get on board with that, except I have to pay attention to detail, like measurements, tolerances and such like, as well as host of other things that I don't want to go into because I can't be arsed and I'm still, economically, worth more than a burger flipper at Mcdonalds. At least, outside of London.
    Does the expression "race to the bottom" mean anything to you
  • neilka 12 Nov 2019 23:54:31 23,544 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The new RuPaul show?
  • Your-Mother 12 Nov 2019 23:55:53 4,728 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought you werenít gay anymore
  • ChiefGB 13 Nov 2019 00:41:47 12,719 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So there you have it, put away your 2h pencils and set square and get flipping.

Jk, itís all a bit daft really.

Edited by ChiefGB at 00:42:49 13-11-2019
  • thelzdking 13 Nov 2019 00:50:38 10,183 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone who has to deal with the general public (who are largely cunts) on a day-to-day basis should get paid loads, especially retail and service staff. Good luck to them.

I understand the OPs point, but the underlying assumption that he is 'worth' more is what leads employers and the public (not necessarily the OP) to treat service and retail workers so poorly.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 01:09:51
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    But the workers of McDonalds generate vast sums of money for the company, and they should receive more of that share.
    Why?

I'm sure they do a great job, but let's face it, it is low skilled, and they don't have any real responsibility for decision making.

If they deserve a pay rise and the company is doing well then ok, but £15 an hour for flipping burgers is ridiculous!
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Nov 2019 01:25:50 29,021 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Comparing London wages with the North is really valid.
  • bbvDJC 13 Nov 2019 06:16:43 2,028 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    racing_fan wrote:
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    But the workers of McDonalds generate vast sums of money for the company, and they should receive more of that share.
    Why?

I'm sure they do a great job, but let's face it, it is low skilled, and they don't have any real responsibility for decision making.

If they deserve a pay rise and the company is doing well then ok, but £15 an hour for flipping burgers is ridiculous!
    How exactly is it low skilled?

I've literally been spat on working at McDonalds by a customer and if that doesn't warrant fifteen quid an hour I don't know what does.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Nov 2019 06:23:57 6,511 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not sure sharply raising pay like this helps. It might lead to a general wage inflation in order to keep up skill related premiums e.g. people who currently get £15 an hour will want £20, those on £20 will want £25 etc. So everyone is better off on paper but only if the extra cash isn't inflated away in terms of purchasing power.

On the other hand it's not a race to the bottom. All jobs should pay at least enough to allow dignity and for people to fully participate in society and reap the benefits of living in a modern industrialised country. There is more than enough money, it just that businesses don't want to share it more fairly.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Nov 2019 06:31:33 10,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Letís have a title-off, whoever is most important gets to say what the living wage everyone beneath us gets.
    Surely that would be Director 14, I am sure we can agree that we donít want him setting out wages.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Nov 2019 06:54:33 24,366 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imagine that what counts as a living wage in London is higher than what it would be in other parts of the country. So if you're going to usefully compare what you earn with anything, it would be with someone doing whatever your job is in London.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2019 07:00:05 82,940 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    London is so expensive, service staff canít afford to live anywhere near work and spend an age travelling in at considerable expense.

Itís not just McDonaldís, every cleaner, shop assistant, food worker is much worse off compared to the same job anywhere else in the country.

If I worked in London, I would expect a London weighted salary. I donít see why a guy who serves my burger should be any different.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 07:21:29
    I have two points. 1, I realised it's London but even still does a McDonald's employee really warrant £30k even in London?

2, I've actually changed my mind on this. If the company are literally rolling in it, then they should pay the staff more.
  • LoneWolf80 13 Nov 2019 07:22:24 155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Can I let you into a little secret? Burger flipping at McDonalds isn't a thing.
  • drhickman1983 13 Nov 2019 07:23:27 7,000 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why are people so fucking moronic when it comes to others wanting a pay increase?

McDonalds earns a fuck ton. It's only right that they get paid.

And having worked in similar positions before, those positions are far more stressful than any "skilled" position I've had since. I'd be all for people getting paid more.

If you feel you aren't paid enough then do something about it, don't drag down others because you feel you're better than them.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 07:25:39 13-11-2019
  • Nazo 13 Nov 2019 07:24:24 1,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If your jobs so important why aren't you paid more?

How about trying to improve your own lot instead of keeping the little guy down?
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2019 07:28:46 82,940 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    racing_fan wrote:
    I have two points. 1, I realised it's London but even still does a McDonald's employee really warrant £30k even in London?
    Well, two points right back. One, 30k is probably not far off a baseline wage for someone who works in central London and, two, the 30k thing is completely erroneous as very few McDonald's employees will get full time hours thanks to this wonderful gig economy there Tories have gifted us with.

Edited by nickthegun at 07:29:52 13-11-2019
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Nov 2019 07:29:43 20,618 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Stuz359 wrote:
    You quite rightly place great value on your skill level.

The only real argument against it is he looming threat of automation, but then that brings all sorts of economic questions with it.
    I donít disagree with this, but whatís the incentive for training for years for a difficult highly skilled job if the pay is the same?
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2019 07:35:38 82,940 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With Brexit chasing off foreign workers I would think there will be a rising equivalency between training for a job and wanting to do it.

I trained to do my job but I wouldnít want to work at McDonaldís. Is a willingness to do shit work worth a willingness to train for it? I dunno.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.