New Mcdonalds strikes Page 8

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 21:47:07 26,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you get much soul food in Idaho. What the fuck are grits?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 21:47:39 26,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Also chitlens.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Nov 2019 21:48:10 10,573 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Grits are scones and gravy. It's scones and gravy all the way down
  • Dougs 13 Nov 2019 21:49:35 95,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    I do like KFC gravy.
    Made with the dregs from the fryers apparently. So at least it's vaguely authentic.
  • Your-Mother 13 Nov 2019 21:50:36 4,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chitlins is boiled/stewed pig intestine. I cannot defend that one.

Grits is basically porridge made with cornmeal instead of oats. Itís also indefensible.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Nov 2019 21:51:10 10,573 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So what the fuck is Idaho
  • Your-Mother 13 Nov 2019 21:52:18 4,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Idaho is a desolate wasteland with a single good city glinting out of the mire.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Nov 2019 21:55:37 26,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Chitlins is boiled/stewed pig intestine. I cannot defend that one.

Grits is basically porridge made with cornmeal instead of oats. Itís also indefensible.
    So Scotch food then basically?
  • Your-Mother 13 Nov 2019 21:58:18 4,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Basically, but at least with some culture history and seasoning behind it.
  • elstoof 13 Nov 2019 22:13:53 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Idaho is a desolate wasteland with a single good city glinting out of the mire.
    Idaho Falls isn't that good
  • elstoof 13 Nov 2019 22:15:17 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you get your grits from Naples and call it Polenta then everyone swoons and takes photos of it
  • thelzdking 13 Nov 2019 22:17:51 10,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My experience of American food is that everything tastes sugary. They take the sweet-savoury combination (which, TBF, I generally absolutely hate) and think it should be in all foods at all times. Bleurgh.
  • Your-Mother 13 Nov 2019 22:19:33 4,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got to get the daily recommended amount of high fructose corn syrup in your franks and beans
  • thelzdking 13 Nov 2019 22:27:30 10,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmmm!
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 22:34:04
    Considering ketchup is a thing Britain isn't adverse to the sweet savoury mix.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Game with dark chocolate or blueberries is lush.

As for KFC gravy. Pretty sure it's out of a packet going by my memory of working there 20 odd years ago
  • thelzdking 13 Nov 2019 22:43:35 10,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Britain doesn't do it nearly as much as America, it's getting worse though. There is a lot wrong with some of the sweet-savoury mixes you see these days. Pretty soon people will be putting their ice-cream on top of their roast chicken, or sticking Trios in their soup. Where will it end?

/is a hard-line sweet-savoury segregationalist.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Nov 2019 23:04:21 10,573 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It ends with biscuits and gravy, aka scones and gravy
  • Stuz359 13 Nov 2019 23:27:39 280 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well I'm glad this has presented a lively debate anyway. I realise I may have come off a self centred twat, I believe in fair pay for honest work. I've worked in the hospitality industry, where often hard work was rewarded with minimum wage and unsocial hours, as well as customers being absolute dicks.

Someone pointed out, quite rightly, that service work in this country is derided, people look down on them and I certainly do not ascribe to that view, service work is some of the hardest work in this country, long hours, or no hours (depending on the week), disrespect from customers and unsocial hours make it hard.

However, I know of plumbers, joiners, electricians and CAD designers (won't someone think of the CAD designers) on less than £15 an hour.

There may be a better way through of course, CEO's not on stupid wages, there may be a case for a maximum wage as well as a minimum wage and that can filter through to the employees on the ground. No one needs to be on 160x the salary of the lowest paid worker on the ground for example.

Until the united world government come in and the federation of planets which will inevitably follow come about and pay will be abolished, actually, that's what I want, Universal Basic Income so people can follow whatever they want to achieve with their lives.
  • anephric 13 Nov 2019 23:54:56 4,334 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How about universal basic grits? It just gets pumped into your face hole and then... and then...

GRITS
    R
    I
    T
    S
  • Your-Mother 13 Nov 2019 23:56:34 4,728 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The advantage of grits is that it comes out the other end in exactly the same consistency. A quick strain through a sieve and itíll be like reusing a teabag.
  • anephric 13 Nov 2019 23:57:11 4,334 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why did UK McDonalds stop serving root beer? They should bring it back. And add grits to it. Like a root-beery, gritty cappuccino.
  • KnuttinAtoll 14 Nov 2019 00:09:25 8,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm not convinced that plumbers should be called skilled workers.
  • Lukus 14 Nov 2019 00:20:35 23,565 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I ate grits once. It was akin to eating something that had already been chewed and broken down by someone else before being spat out onto the plate to be eaten again. Ridiculous food.
  • elstoof 14 Nov 2019 00:27:52 25,980 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Make your own root beer by diluting some mouthwash like you would Robinsonís barley water
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Nov 2019 00:59:35 14,571 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    It ends with biscuits and gravy, aka scones and gravy
    Without getting all four yorkshiremen about it .... mince & dumplings was an unbeatable combination
  • thelzdking 14 Nov 2019 01:10:38 10,183 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    Well I'm glad this has presented a lively debate anyway. I realise I may have come off a self centred twat, I believe in fair pay for honest work. I've worked in the hospitality industry, where often hard work was rewarded with minimum wage and unsocial hours, as well as customers being absolute dicks.

Someone pointed out, quite rightly, that service work in this country is derided, people look down on them and I certainly do not ascribe to that view, service work is some of the hardest work in this country, long hours, or no hours (depending on the week), disrespect from customers and unsocial hours make it hard.

However, I know of plumbers, joiners, electricians and CAD designers (won't someone think of the CAD designers) on less than £15 an hour.
    Yes, but that is no reason why Maccas staff shouldn't get paid £15 p/h. I know of many people who wouldn't last a day in a customer service job because they entirely lack the necessary skills, even if those skills aren't codified and attached to a qualification. And used in a job which is seen as being worthless to the point where many people thinks it's perfectly fine to treat the workers like shit.

I'm not much of a Marxist, but such thinking plays right into the hands of the rich and powerful who want to limit the growth of any kind of collective sentiment amongst lower-paid workers. If they're pulling each other down through envy and one-upmanship then the wealthy will be laughing all the way to their offshore bank accounts. It's pure divide-and-conquer tactics.

/Higgy

Edited by thelzdking at 01:12:27 14-11-2019
  • Dougs 14 Nov 2019 06:28:40 95,396 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Tradespeople definitely are skilled imo.
  • nickthegun 14 Nov 2019 06:52:33 82,940 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Supply and demand, innit? If you know CAD designers on less than £15 an hour, there are too many CAD designers.

When my other half got her first job in TV, she would have earned more cleaning toilets, despite the job requiring a degree, and was told if she didn't like the pay, there were a thousand other media graduates who would be.
  • KnuttinAtoll 14 Nov 2019 09:55:45 8,196 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    Tradespeople definitely are skilled imo.
    Yeah my comment wasn't entirely serious. I just singled out plumbers as I needed one a few years back to help with a leaking toilet (fancy cistern in the wall setup).

Nobody wanted to touch it or quoted some ridiculous rate while suggesting the need to crack open the wall.

After 3 calls I decided to give it a go myself (I have two left hands when it comes to handiwork) and also thanks to YouTube managed to fix it myself, thinking what did I need a plumber for. I guess they do make a difference with bigger jobs though.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2019 09:59:02
    I would have thought it was the bigger job that broke the toilet

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.