• JamboWayOh 13 Nov 2019 09:12:00 18,852 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Glol.
  • thelzdking 13 Nov 2019 09:20:12 10,020 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Has anyone been into a London McDonald's recently?

Try an 8-10 shift in a McDonald's dealing with either the front of house abuse or working a high pressure cooking conveyor belt.
    This. It's worth remembering as well that many desk jobs, even the most grinding, low-skilled ones, often give the employee 'freedom' in the sense that you can get up and make a drink, fire up Wikipedia or EG, choose when you have lunch etc. Retail and service folks don't get that. It might sound insignificant, but it's not.

Edited by thelzdking at 09:32:12 13-11-2019
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:28:23
    Considering people perceive £10 an hour around the country as a living wage then £15 for an unskilled worker in London is definitely fair.

My mate in Scarborough is doing a skilled sonic focused job and he would get paid at least a third more down in Southampton where I live. London is a completely different beast. Its so expensive to exist there

Edited by adamasunder12 at 09:28:49 13-11-2019
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:29:24
    Just for clarification, sonic audio not fixing that nightmare fuel
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:31:31
    @PazJohnMitch aye. It costs me 2k a semester to commute 70 miles to London 3 days a week.

It's stupidly expensive
  • SolidSCB 13 Nov 2019 09:34:44 12,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't see why we should begrudge anyone trying to earn what they think they are worth.

I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to hack a week working in a busy McDonalds. Not a fucking chance I'd cope in that environment.

Takes all kinds to make the world go round. Fair play to them for sticking up for themselves.
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2019 09:36:01 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The problem, I suppose, is that McDonalds is already falling out of favour and isn't particularly competitive anymore.

Wetherspoons do beer and a burger for a similar price to a value meal, thanks to also paying shit wages, so you would think the last thing they want to do is raise the price of food to protect their bottom line.

Capitalism, eh?
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:37:05
    As Paz suggesrs a true living wage should be based on whether people can afford to live alone.

Part of our societal problems is forcing people into relationships because its just unrealistic for unskilled workers to be able to just rent a bedsit by themselves.
  • senso-ji 13 Nov 2019 09:37:51 10,085 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    High skill = more money is a fallacy, probably fuelled by the really glamorous jobs like professional sports and the like making it seem like life is a meritocracy.

Take translation as an example: I'm sure most people would concede that learning multiple languages requires a huge investment of time and skill, but freelance translators get a shit rate. Turns out, nobody gives a shit about translating the microwave manuals from Chinese to Italian or proof reading a PhD thesis that needs submitting to a Swedish university.
  • drhickman1983 13 Nov 2019 09:37:52 6,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, they only have a 20% profit margin, would be a shame to see it go down 😭😭😭
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Nov 2019 09:39:15 19,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem, I suppose, is that McDonalds is already falling out of favour and isn't particularly competitive anymore.

Wetherspoons do beer and a burger for a similar price to a value meal, thanks to also paying shit wages, so you would think the last thing they want to do is raise the price of food to protect their bottom line.

Capitalism, eh?
    Another perspective on that is those businesses are failing because of healthier more progressive alternatives providing new and better employment alternatives (yay capitalism).
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Nov 2019 09:39:32 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I CANT AFFORD MY RENT

YOURE MY WIFE NOW
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Nov 2019 09:41:03 12,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    I CANT AFFORD MY RENT

YOURE MY WIFE NOW
    Sad but true.

My Mum confessed that should would have left my Dad years ago but couldn't afford it.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 09:42:09 13-11-2019
  • Load_2.0 13 Nov 2019 09:43:02 31,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Capitalism, eh?
    Another perspective on that is those businesses are failing because of healthier more progressive alternatives providing new and better employment alternatives (yay capitalism).
    I'm really surprised McDonald's and KFC haven't invested heavily in plant based products.

It's definitely the way the food industry is headed and there products are ideal for meat substitutes.
  • RGeefe 13 Nov 2019 09:43:02 861 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do wonder how places like London, Singapore, New York, etc don't just collapse in on themselves with the shit rates of pay vs expense of living.

I was once offered a job in London after I'd done some work experience and the "London weighting" was utter bollocks. If I remember rightly, the job up in the Midlands was around £15k and London was £18k. This is going back maybe 7/8 years but even still - I just don't think London pay actually exists. It's just some arbitrary number for people not from London to make the move down.

I keep thinking it'll all just dissolve into chaos when people get sick of not being able to afford to live, especially compared to places up north where having even a £16k wage can give you a half-decent lifestyle but it never does.

And yes - the whole society we have of forcing people to live together is utter bollocks. On a tangent - I have family members in the military who have been moved around so much by the government that they've not been able to live in the house they own for about 8 years. They don't rent it out because they did that before and had to evict two tenants and the cost of renting VS what they'd bring in aren't worth it.

Council's response? Triple charge them council tax to force them to rent out the property.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Nov 2019 09:44:10 19,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    High skill = more money is a fallacy, probably fuelled by the really glamorous jobs like professional sports and the like making it seem like life is a meritocracy.

Take translation as an example: I'm sure most people would concede that learning multiple languages requires a huge investment of time and skill, but freelance translators get a shit rate. Turns out, nobody gives a shit about translating the microwave manuals from Chinese to Italian or proof reading a PhD thesis that needs submitting to a Swedish university.
    There is a trend with high skilled jobs falling in pay, and some exceptional low paid skill jobs like the one you’ve mentioned. But it is absolutely the case that broadly speaking high skill jobs pay much better. It is not a fallacy. It’s “medium skill” jobs where things get a bit more messy.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Nov 2019 09:46:01 19,435 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Capitalism, eh?
    I'm really surprised McDonald's and KFC haven't invested heavily in plant based products.

It's definitely the way the food industry is headed and there products are ideal for meat substitutes.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/kfc-beyond-meat-vegan-fried-chicken-plant-based-a9079496.html

Also McDonalds is a big group that includes Pret, which are opening more and more Vegan shops.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Nov 2019 09:47:49 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    I CANT AFFORD MY RENT

YOURE MY WIFE NOW
    Sad but true.

My Mum confessed that should would have left my Dad years ago but couldn't afford it.
    I know a girl that had to move out of the big smoke as she couldn't afford renting a place on her own after breaking up with her BF. She used to be a manager at Starbucks and hated it as she constantly had to deal with junkies shooting up in their toilets. Awful job and also poorly paid for what it entailed.

Thing is though, she is now unhappy in the sticks - with her attitude and abilities she could find a job anywhere in Europe and where people don't pay ridiculous money to live in a shithole.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Nov 2019 09:48:20 9,523 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It always used to be - from an economist point of view - that McDonald's was a "Coke reseller which also sold hamburgers". By that I mean their profits on soft drinks are CRAZY (same as pubs). So a Big Mac could effectively be sold as a loss leader (like fuel at petrol stations) - not that they are / were.

This may be out of date info

Edited by fontgeeksogood at 09:49:00 13-11-2019
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:50:57
    Medium skilled would probably count as being a normal chef. I have been paid such shit wages considering I've got training, qualifications and years of experience yet get shafted often.so often I'm trying to move into another field.

One of my last jobs I was a chef de partie on 20p more an hour than the kp. That's an extreme but still galling. Oh and we had fuck all staff because no chefs wanted to come in got the money offered. I only stayed there as long as I did because I was friends with the head chef.
  • challenge_hanukkah 13 Nov 2019 09:51:11 12,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Capitalism, eh?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/kfc-beyond-meat-vegan-fried-chicken-plant-based-a9079496.html

Also McDonalds is a big group that includes Pret, which are opening more and more Vegan shops.
    Beyond Meat: The Gapening

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 09:51:48 13-11-2019
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 09:52:06
    @fontgeeksogood You're right, I think it cost like 8p to serve a large coke when I worked there years ago. Pretty sure it's the same if not the exact same figure
  • nickthegun 13 Nov 2019 09:58:50 81,385 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago

Ive been following this some interest as I love a bit of KFC but haven't been in one for nearly two years since the girl became a veggie.

Their workflows and equipment are, obviously, so ingrained with serving chicken that putting something veggie that wont get them sued on the menu is a massive investment. Seems like the tipping point came that it was more expensive to not do it.

And, yeah, it is worth it. There aren't many around but take the shake shack, for instance. Their veggie burger is pretty much the best one ive tried. It beats the shit out of any other fast(ish) food place and if there were one around here, we would go there in preference to any other place purely because of it.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Nov 2019 09:59:11 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Capitalism, eh?

If they would replace meat with cardboard I doubt i'd notice the difference.

Mind you, I might eat at a McD maybe twice a year, with massive regrets shortly after. Awful stuff and am surprised they're still so popular given the choices people have in terms of fast food.
  • SnackPlissken 13 Nov 2019 10:01:40 1,788 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just move up north like the rest of us.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 10:02:03
    The power of branding.

I think Pepsi always comes out top on genuine taste tests but the coke brand is just stronger.
  • Fake_Blood 13 Nov 2019 10:03:00 10,243 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally I can’t wait till the fat people start to riot.
  • Deleted user 13 November 2019 10:05:39
    Would be short lived
  • salrip 13 Nov 2019 10:14:07 124 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Tonka

How about Sweden? How do the lower paid get on? The UK media are always banging on about how we should try to be more like Sweden (Denmark, Norway, Finland) and become more progressive and try to extend social justice initiatives.
    We're (sweden) heading in the wrong direction sadly. More and more insecure employment and gig economy shitjobs. And those that are hit the hardest are the immigrants and refugees. The treatment of the poor and sick that's been going on for the last decade and a half is appalling. Just recently the state run unemployment bureau got massive budget cuts and has to close lots of offices (in predominantely small/medium sized towns) which will affect those who need it the most. The housing situation in Stockholm is ridiculously fucked up. The right political block who was in power 2006-2014 converted lots of rental apartments to tenant ownership / cooperative flat (not sure of the equivalent english term) so unless you have a stable work situation with good pay (and sometimes even that is not enough) it's really hard to even get an apartment.

At least we don't have to pay a grand for child care as someone wrote above. I think I pay about 15-20 pounds for my half of the month (shared custody) :)
  • Tonka 13 Nov 2019 10:17:01 30,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I've no idea to be honest.
    There is no minimum wage per se, but the unions are strong and will negotiate for their members. The restaurant business has the worst salaries and bonuses for working shit hours though.

A quick google gave me the number 21 930 SEK/month which is 1750,95 GBPs

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.