Half-Life:Alyx Page 18

• cov 27 Mar 2020 08:29:00 2,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hence me saying it varies between people - maybe its head size - although i have big heid too. No scratches on mine both my pairs of glasses dont come anywhere anything that could scratch them either - spacer provides a lot of erm space!
  • Deleted user 27 March 2020 08:52:42
    Thought I'd go and dig out the glasses spacer but I think I chucked them with the box when I did a big clear out the other day. Very annoying.
  • atothewest 27 Mar 2020 09:09:08 1,098 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been OK for me with glasses even without the spacer tbh, no scratches and not a hugely noticeable drop in comfort.
  • uiruki 27 Mar 2020 20:48:52 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finished Chapter 7.

I HATE JEFF
  • uiruki 28 Mar 2020 14:08:00 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And finished the game. That's definitely one you want to play through without being spoiled.

Overall, it was pretty much ten hours of consecutive setpieces; very little downtime. Best graphics in VR by some distance while running better than Unreal engine based equivalents, terrific combat, actually fun puzzles and more talking than I thought, in a good way. I'm going to miss the gravity gloves in other games now. Some of the moments will stay with me for a long time.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 28 Mar 2020 15:34:44 2,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got to the northern star, have a feeling this will be a long level - one for tonight methinks
  • neems 28 Mar 2020 15:38:12 4,861 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got round to installing new Nvidia drivers - does anybody know how I can get my control panel back? Apparently it now has to be downloaded from the windows store, but it won't actually download because Microsoft are a useless pack of shitcunts.

Never mind, I only had to jump through 17 hoops and I managed to get it.

Edited by neems at 15:44:23 28-03-2020
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 28 Mar 2020 19:50:14 2,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh, chapter 4 you get a good look at a combine without the mask on, is this a first?
  • christourlord 28 Mar 2020 21:49:53 2,772 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Ooh, chapter 4 you get a good look at a combine without the mask on, is this a first?
    Do you mean the exposed brainy looking stuff, or is there more of a "face" that you get to see at some point? I can't remember which chapter number I'm on, but I guess it's the North Star hotel?

I can't get over how perfectly they nailed this game. Every time I stop playing, I want to jump straight back in, but I know that it will be the last HL game I play for a long time, so I sort of want to stretch it out and savour it for a bit longer, too.

As others have already said, there are many great setpieces and moments that will stay with me like few other games can manage.
  • christourlord 28 Mar 2020 21:50:54 2,772 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I hope Valve make a ton of money out of this and Index sales, so they (and other developers) are encouraged to make more experiences like this.
  • KD 28 Mar 2020 22:15:01 2,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If your finished with this and not seen Boneworks yet give it a try.
  • neems 28 Mar 2020 22:35:44 4,861 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ almighty, North Star was intense. Finished it (I assume) with virtually no health, no grenades, and a serious lack of ammo.

Onwards... tomorrow. I need a lie down.
  • christourlord 29 Mar 2020 08:38:06 2,772 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KD wrote:
    If your finished with this and not seen Boneworks yet give it a try.
    Yeah, Boneworks is probably next for me. I also have Robo Recall in my library unplayed and started messing with Pavlov before HL came out. VR feels like it is on the cusp of getting a good cadence going.
  • uiruki 29 Mar 2020 09:14:57 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Once you get into it, Boneworks is very good. Great soundtrack as well.

Do remember that you have a 2 hour window for refunds on Steam though - it's not made with any consideration for things like motion sickness or anything so there's a chance you might just not be able to play it!
  • KD 29 Mar 2020 10:45:58 2,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Boneworks shows how things could go, its a cool experiment.
  • Ror 31 Mar 2020 22:11:43 20,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone had what I assume is a corrupted save file? Just hangs on the loading screen forever. Got around it by loading an autosave.
  • neems 1 Apr 2020 23:30:28 4,861 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fucking hell, what a game... that ending :)
  • cov 2 Apr 2020 00:33:41 2,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So - trying to be clever iprimed a grenade, lobbed it into a room, then closed the door. Except the door didn't close which was weird. Had a bad feeling. Looked down only to see the primed grenade flashing in my hand. Realised i had gravity grabbed it back instead of closing door. Boom.
  • Carlo 2 Apr 2020 19:28:11 21,323 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And My Valve Index kit email just came through, paid it, and I'm left staring at my door like a dog.

Hurry up!!!
  • Ror 2 Apr 2020 21:56:24 20,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cov wrote:
    So - trying to be clever iprimed a grenade, lobbed it into a room, then closed the door. Except the door didn't close which was weird. Had a bad feeling. Looked down only to see the primed grenade flashing in my hand. Realised i had gravity grabbed it back instead of closing door. Boom.
    :)
  • grey_matters 13 Apr 2020 11:53:15 5,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is very nice.
  • Carlo 13 Apr 2020 22:05:19 21,323 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Past the half way mark now. The game is incredible isn't it.

Combat has taken a few steps up now, the levels design and difficulty curve are just damn near perfect as any game I can think of.

It's just such a shame this has such a high bar for purchase. It's a significant investment but I hope it does really well.
  • uiruki 13 Apr 2020 22:20:06 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm hoping it does one of the things (I assume) they set out to do and acts as a standard for others to follow, to get an intense action game to play out in relatively low-intensity VR. The gravity gloves have made force pulling stuff obsolete for the most part (though I reckon the telekinesis style in Blade and Sorcery will be around for a long time as it's a lot of fun to use when you get the hang of it). It's also made a bit of a mockery of the 'big budget' Oculus offerings running on Unity and Unreal in terms of performance.

And then there's what actually happens in the game - just wait til you get to the end.
  • grey_matters 13 Apr 2020 22:25:51 5,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I'm hoping it does one of the things (I assume) they set out to do and acts as a standard for others to follow, to get an intense action game to play out in relatively low-intensity VR. The gravity gloves have made force pulling stuff obsolete for the most part (though I reckon the telekinesis style in Blade and Sorcery will be around for a long time as it's a lot of fun to use when you get the hang of it). It's also made a bit of a mockery of the 'big budget' Oculus offerings running on Unity and Unreal in terms of performance.

And then there's what actually happens in the game - just wait til you get to the end.
    I just hope that Valve have a few more titles to follow using this engine. I'd imagine that Oculus do too in fairness, the more everyone puts the shoulder to the wheel, the better all of this will be.
  • uiruki 13 Apr 2020 23:11:23 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oculus have Medal of Honor coming from actual Medal of Honor people via Respawn. Can't wait for that.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 13 Apr 2020 23:58:33 2,930 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    uiruki wrote:

man I need to finish this, Iím at northern star, am I far from the end?
  • uiruki 14 Apr 2020 08:17:31 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No, you have a fair amount to go yet. Lots of fun stuff you haven't run into!
  • Deleted user 14 April 2020 09:04:54
    The only problem I have with this game is that my partner has decided to change sleeping habits and now I canít use the living room for vr in the evening. Peeved.
  • uiruki 14 Apr 2020 09:59:42 5,249 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If it helps, I played through pretty much in a static standing position - the combination of smooth movement and teleport was perfectly fine. Didn't feel like I missed out on anything, as long as you have space to move your arms freely there's no problem.
  • quadfather 14 Apr 2020 11:22:48 36,737 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @uiruki

Is that the method where you have to manually climb ladders? I love that mechanic.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.