Following Resident Evil 3 (2020) Page 13

• JamboWayOh 2 Apr 2020 11:38:49 19,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    RE4 would look great in this engine. I doubt it would happen though, the HD versions still hold up pretty well.

The story is absolutely shit though. One thing it always gets a free pass for. Save the presidents daughter, that cackling child, that rambo guy. Terrible.
    Eh? Isn't that Resi's big plus point an absolutely hammy storyline?
  • SolidSCB 2 Apr 2020 11:39:18 12,491 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know it's already been 'done', but a RE1 remaster on current tech would be lovely.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 11:49:22 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    RE4 would look great in this engine. I doubt it would happen though, the HD versions still hold up pretty well.

The story is absolutely shit though. One thing it always gets a free pass for. Save the presidents daughter, that cackling child, that rambo guy. Terrible.

Definitely, but I think it has a bit of an unfair reputation in that regard. The original had some of the worst voice acting that's every been recorded for a game, but the story itself was sound. It was largely rectified for the Gamecube remake.

2 & 3 are fine too. Again, it's the voice acting on the PSX that people take the piss out of. Jill Sandwiches and that.

It was from RE4 onwards where it went completely off the deep end.

Code Veronica did introduce SUPER WESKER and the story was a bit silly in places. But I liked the Ashford twins, that was some creepy shit.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 11:52:12 02-04-2020
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Apr 2020 11:53:01 8,253 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    I know it's already been 'done', but a RE1 remaster on current tech would be lovely.

I've always been staunchly against the idea due to how well the gamecube version holds up. But I tried the hd version on steam and as much as I love (I think its perfect) the aesthetic of the mansion, it very much feels like you're walking round on top of an animated background rather than being in it. I wouldn't be against it after hownmuchbof a good job they made out of 2.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 12:05:08 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Itís here, nice lenticular sleeve but no preorder dlc which is a tad gutting as I love my tat.
    Thing is I thought ďoriginal Jill costume as seen in resident evil 3Ē would mean her skirt combo, apparently itís just her resident evil 1 costume which is a cop out.
    My mistake it is her original costume from 3 ah well if anyone gets this on xb1 and isnít fussed for it Iíd happily give it a home ☺️

Edited by ChiefGB at 12:25:59 02-04-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Apr 2020 12:11:42 4,240 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I would rather see a new RE game done in the survival horror style rather than another remake of a game that could be remastered correctly. RE4 HD is lazy port, I don't think it needs to be remade but just needs improvements to textures on console (as PC modders have done them self) also they fucked up the aiming on the recent port to Xbox one (and maybe ps4) it might be auto aim problem.

Not sure about RE1 remade in the new engine as capcom have been cutting down on the content of the last 2 remakes.

I did watch a review on YT and she said if you knock nemesis in the full game you get rewards, which is good. Also watched another video of the old RE3 game and will miss the structure of the old game and running around the city (I know its in this one but lot less of it). There is some hard to get PC versions of the old RE3, it would of been nice if it was unlockable in this remake
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 12:24:41 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Apparently there is no pre-load for Steam for this. Great. I'll have to stay up to download it at midnight because my internet is shite so I have to do it overnight.
  • Lotos8ter 2 Apr 2020 12:25:47 2,992 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ChiefGB thereís a 641Mb Ďoriginal costume packí on the digital version. Is it the same?
    Also got a theme but seems a lot less than RE2. Hope itís not all behind an online shop paywall. Knowing Capcom it probably is
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 12:26:55 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Lotos8ter yes thatís it but tgc apparently didnít get any preorder dlc, which is weird really.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 12:36:56 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If the collectors edition wasnít one of the most shockingly overpriced things ever Iíd have considered that. £215 for a statue, mini art book and soundtrack. Beyond taking the fucking piss.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 16:55:11 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Started this, itís still next to impossible to escape their clutches once the prompt comes up. That said the dodge will be very effective once mastered, I can see it being a speed runners delight.

Edited by ChiefGB at 16:55:57 02-04-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Apr 2020 20:49:31 13,529 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:

The first three have their own consistent internal logic and credibility plot-wise Code Veronica and RE4 just fall completely off a cliff in that regard for me (Super-Wesker, the twins, the lobster monks, the castle, midget Napoleon)
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Apr 2020 20:50:22 13,529 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Literally no one cares about Resistance do they?
  • JamboWayOh 2 Apr 2020 20:51:12 19,306 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Errr no. Couldn't give two fucks.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Apr 2020 20:51:30 8,687 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Resident Evil competitive multiplayer has been tried before and been universally reviled. Expectations are going to be rock bottom.

If it does turn out well, it may be a slow-burn hit, but nobody's buying the game for it.
  • richarddavies 2 Apr 2020 20:51:45 7,660 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, couldn't give a shit.
  • ZuluHero 2 Apr 2020 21:07:36 8,731 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Steve-Perry wrote:

The first three have their own consistent internal logic and credibility plot-wise Code Veronica and RE4 just fall completely off a cliff in that regard for me (Super-Wesker, the twins, the lobster monks, the castle, midget Napoleon)

Don't forget a perfect replica of the mansion Hall from the first game replicated in an Antarctican base. Complete batshit.

And 2 words,: Steve Burnside.

Yeah CV was shit, I don't know why people keep wanting a remake. CV was the descent into all the modern resident evils we know and 'love' .

Edited by ZuluHero at 21:08:22 02-04-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 2 Apr 2020 21:42:26 4,240 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CV isn't shit, Steve Burnside is shit but that was the quality of the voice acting for RE games at the time. Also it had Alfred cross dressing as his sister because he has gone a bit mad

IGN reviewed Resistance and have it 6.0, mentioned has micro-transactions that give a bit of boost as player progression can be bad
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 21:48:13 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I love CV. It's got some daft bits, but the story is interesting enough. Visually it was amazing at the time. Coming from RE3 and before the PS2 had even launched, the graphics were unbelievable to me. Gameplay is classic Resi, can't go wrong.
  • Lotos8ter 2 Apr 2020 21:54:03 2,992 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Literally no one cares about Resistance do they?
    Iíd have preferred a proper Mercenaries mode or a co-op Horde / Firefight game type.
    But to answer your question, no.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 21:56:05 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Apparently Hardcore mode has no ink ribons, they're not in the game at all.

I've a strong feeling I'm not going to like this game much.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 21:56:16 02-04-2020
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 22:00:56 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe Iíve tried a few games on the full release, itís not great, itís just a bit too cumbersome and clumsy. The teams I was with could scarcely get through 2 rooms. Itís seems grossly weighted towards the ďmastermindĒ.
    If it played a bit tighter it may have been alright but to put 4 clumsy players in constantly cramped environments with these loose combat controls and then drop random shit on top of them isnít pleasant.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 22:02:50 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Resistance sounds like a complete waste of Dev resource. The servers will be shut in 12 months
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 22:02:54 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Steve-Perry I am finding the auto saving a lot Less frequent, which has caught me out a few times already.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 22:04:16 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @ChiefGB what are the difficult options when starting a new game?

Wondering if you have to unlock the hardest mode, like RE7, or its available from the start like Remake 2.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 22:05:08 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Steve-Perry Iím all for something different but this hasnít quite hit the mark. Also for a co-op game it seems to feel like a mad grab for all the good stuff.
  • ChiefGB 2 Apr 2020 22:16:25 12,490 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Steve-Perry assisted, normal and hardcore.
    Seems in line with what I remember of 2, Iím on normal and not finding it all that easy tbh, mainly because I canít shake zombies off with the button prompt and the nemesis can be hard to read whilst Iím turning tails.

Itís a great action ride though but itís a bit like a qte game that plays itself at times mid set piece which may annoy some. So far the nemesis has been fairly contained (much less than mr x was) but then Iíd say Iím about a third of the way I assume at around 2 1/2 hours. Iíve just had a cameo from remake2 which is nice for continuity.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 22:22:07 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @ChiefGB cheers dude. Enjoy.

Hopefully it unlocks at 00.00 and I can get it downloaded for the morning.
  • ZuluHero 2 Apr 2020 22:26:46 8,731 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I love CV. It's got some daft bits, but the story is interesting enough. Visually it was amazing at the time. Coming from RE3 and before the PS2 had even launched, the graphics were unbelievable to me. Gameplay is classic Resi, can't go wrong.
    Well Mr Steve Perry, or should I say Steve Burneside? ;)

Conversely I felt the move over to 3d made it look worse. The pre rendered backgrounds looked amazing at the time, with loads of detail, something that CV failed to replicate. And the over-the-top fogging was weird too.

That said, I did like the prison island bit at the start. It felt like a traditional Resi game until the plot started to go off the rails.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Apr 2020 22:30:50 1,299 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @ZuluHero :)

Horses for courses I suppose! I agree on the fog, a lot of 3D games seemed to have that around that time. The N64 was atrocious for it.

2000-2002 was probably the best gaming years of my life. Caught up on all the great 90s pc games and had a Dreamcast. I probably do remember things a bit too fondly because of that. I definitely have rose tints for CV.

Disc 2 was arse though. Chris Redfield ruins everything

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.