Following Resident Evil 3 (2020) Page 26

• Steve-Perry 29 Apr 2020 10:21:24 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Yeah it did. It looks and plays brilliantly still.

If they were going to remake it (and I really don't see the point personally), I would prefer the RE7 FPP style.

The RE2r and RE3r style is great, but definitely lends itself more to shooty bang bangs than claustrophobic fear.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Apr 2020 10:24:45 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldnít play it but I can see a shorter VR version of RE1 being really good.

It would definitely lend itself to being more claustrophobic and first person than shooty over the shoulder.

Part of me canít imagine it not being fixed camera though. Itís so ingrained in my memory.
  • cowell 29 Apr 2020 15:20:36 2,150 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dropped the £6.50 on 5 but passed on 6 as advised!
  • retro74 29 Apr 2020 15:28:41 3,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @cowell you made the right decision. 5 is still all kinds of awesome with great guns and enemies

6 feels like you've been given a nerf gun and a large bag of sand to carry round with you
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Apr 2020 16:48:35 4,185 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RE5 really needs a person co-op partner as the AI is fucking dumb, sheva will get killed by certain enemy in seconds. Also the AI likes to burn through ammo and heal you when you don't need it to.
  • ZuluHero 29 Apr 2020 16:57:09 8,623 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I actually enjoyed playing through RE5 with my brother, but a RE it is not.

Edited by ZuluHero at 16:57:21 29-04-2020
  • Steve-Perry 30 Apr 2020 12:31:29 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Did another chapter of RE5 yesterday and I'm not really enjoying it. I just want to get to the DLC which seems to be gated behind completing the main game.

It's so boring. Going to take me about 6 months to finish it at this pace. Maybe when I get to the lab and stuff later on it will get a bit more interesting. The urban bit at the start is arse.
  • Switch024 30 Apr 2020 13:37:49 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started playing 5 again with a mate last night. We had a good laugh, it's dumb fun. It's mad how much they moved away from Survival Horror to complete balls out action with waves and waves of enemies. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

I don't actually mind the setting, it's different which is something. I've always thought the enviroments get worse the further in you get to Resi games, the labs are all pretty bland.
  • Steve-Perry 30 Apr 2020 13:49:52 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I just remember the lab having lickers and interesting enemies in this one. All that is happening in the early chapters is sheva is annoying me, I feel like I'm fighting the controls all the time and we are shooting our way through a beige CoD map.
  • Switch024 30 Apr 2020 13:56:04 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The controls aren't great, it takes a bit to get used to. Died a few times during that first onslaught just because itís so cumbersome to move around.
  • retro74 30 Apr 2020 16:01:45 3,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I find the controls to be really good but I have played it a lot so maybe I've just overcome them
  • Steve-Perry 30 Apr 2020 16:07:17 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    They're very old fashioned. You can forgive it in RE4 because the Gamecube controller was a bit fucking random.

By the time 5 came out the control scheme was not really up to standard.

Coming from RE3r to this feels like I'm trying to do a 3 point turn in a double decker bus with 2 flat tyres on a street comprised of wet cement.
  • ZuluHero 30 Apr 2020 16:37:25 8,623 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I actually still play the tank controls in RE1 - up is always forward.
  • Switch024 30 Apr 2020 16:41:28 3,616 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tank controls don't actually bother me in the orginal games. RE5 just feels particularly clunky but that's probably becuase I'm coming to it after playing the remakes.
  • Steve-Perry 30 Apr 2020 16:41:52 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I do in that game, it suits it much better. The new controls in the RE1 Remaster feel really cheap and give you a huge advantage over the zombies.

I just don't like it in 5. It didn't bother me on release, but after playing the new ones, it feels very shonky!

Edited by Steve-Perry at 16:42:11 30-04-2020
  • SnackPlissken 1 May 2020 10:57:51 1,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I booted up Resi 4 on the wii the other day. Pretty decent controls but just doesn't feel at all like a Resi game with it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 May 2020 11:23:40 13,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    I do in that game, it suits it much better. The new controls in the RE1 Remaster feel really cheap and give you a huge advantage over the zombies.
    My only issue with the new controls is almost the opposite because youíre suddenly a lot more mobile than intended you end up dashing into the arms of monsters
  • Steve-Perry 1 May 2020 11:26:46 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    That happened to me a few times too. With the camera angles changing it felt like I had to learn which direction to press every time.

I didn't like them at all. I've seen speedrunners use them on streams and they are pretty cheap.
  • ZuluHero 1 May 2020 15:27:40 8,623 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished RE1 last night on switch - a good 10 hours for Jill.

The very limited and un-expandable inventory space and the ink ribbon saves really don't do it any favours, nor does the lack of inventory management and not being able to combine stuff while using the storage box.

Voice acting is very wooden, and actually a lot of the story stuff either doesn't make much sense, or lacks the gravitas of the situations happening. Sound seemed a bit 'tinny' at times too. The Audio balancing seems all over the place.

Backgrounds looked a but grainy on Switch, especially docked, I was sure they were higher resolution in the HD versions? Perfectly fine on handheld mode.

Atmosphere is still amazing though, exploring the mansion in normal game-play is still really spooky and it was an absolute joy to play it in bed every night with the lights off and headphones on.

Still, would love a remake ;)
  • cowell 11 May 2020 23:13:01 2,150 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished a third run. Was really struggling with the second to last boss battle today so bought 2 assault coins and equipped them. Makes it WAY easier. Still havenít nailed it in under 2.5 hours yet but I now have bought all they key puzzle items and I have the buffs so should be doable

Edited by cowell at 23:13:53 11-05-2020
  • Steve-Perry 12 May 2020 00:26:38 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Replaying RE0 on hard mode. My word...

This game is so badly balanced. Respawning enemies galore, cheap layouts, cheap fast moves, flying bats you can't aim at, final bosses you may not be able to kill because there's no ammo. All wrapped around a shitty item gimmick which means you spend half the game in your menu trading items or picking them up and putting them down on the floor. And then having to backtrack miles because no item box (and the game punishes you for backtracking by respawning zombies all over the place) It's an awful game really. Has not aged well at all. Everything is uber cheap.

RE3 on inferno was nothing compared to 0 on hard.
  • ChiefGB 12 May 2020 00:59:20 12,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked zero, more resi at the time was all I needed.
  • Steve-Perry 12 May 2020 07:53:43 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I liked it back in the day but it's really not great nowadays. I've been reading and it's basically just hard mode that is broken.
  • Lotos8ter 12 May 2020 08:05:07 2,977 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Steve-Perry I was watching a speed runner doing this the other day and he was saying itís one of the harder RE games and can be ultra cheap too. The item management is pretty bad; thatís one thing the remakes have got right with expandable pouches etc
  • Steve-Perry 12 May 2020 10:41:48 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Lotos8ter Yeah he is right. I would say it's the hardest. The other games are pretty well balanced on harder difficulties, this one is not. It feels like an afterthough.

Monkeys and hunters are cheap as fuck with quick combo attacks.

The bat boss is ridiculous. Fast moving enemies do not suit the fixed camera angle resi games. I basically had 2 characters on danger and had to rely on a lucky run where i stun-locked it with grenades.

You will constantly be running around on danger because attacks are nigh on unavoidable, there are no ammo reserves and no health items.

The item management is a complete disaster. There's no other word for it. The gimmick of swapping with billy is fine, but they only have 6 slots each, loads of items take 2 slots (including the stupid batman gun which you need for puzzles).

So you need to backtrack all the time. And what do they do? Fill areas you had previously cleared (clearing an area is usually satisfying in a resi game because you know it's now safe) with cheap monkeys, 4 zombies, hunters, leech zombies.

Want to backtrack to pick up your grenade launcher because you had to leave it all the way across the mansion? Well fuck you, enjoy wasting all your ammo, getting bit, dying and having to do it all again.

I'm now stuck on the final boss because you need a ton of ammo to distract it from Rebecca. So I'm going to have to backtrack to get some moltovs.

Never playing it on hard again.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 11:03:01 12-05-2020
  • Roddy100 12 May 2020 11:52:43 1,034 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got RE0 in the Origins bundle on sale. Happily played through REmake but these posts have put me off playing 0 entirely.

Having played RE2 remake and RE7 recently, it's hard to go back to the older games as it is.
  • Steve-Perry 12 May 2020 11:54:29 1,104 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Just play it on normal mode it's fine. Nothing special but worth a blast.

Just the hard mode that is really unbalanced.
  • retro74 12 May 2020 12:45:24 3,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I started this yesterday. At the moment I don't really like it but I'm sure I'll start to enjoy it after a while

Can you not shoot limbs off like in RE2? that was one of the best tactics and easily the most satisfying too

Also what's with the difficulty level? Even on normal setting the standard zombies are a one hit kill if they grab you, makes it hard to make progress
  • SolidSCB 12 May 2020 12:45:49 12,431 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love pretty much all Resident Evil but 0 is just crap. Bought it on PS4 when it was released, maybe time would make a difference and I would appreciate it this time, no. Got as far as the first boss and binned it. It's just not fun.

I'm actually casually playing through 5 at the minute. I must admit it's my all-time guilty pleasure game. It kinda gets lumped in with RE6 when the games are being rated and I find it to be massively unfair.
  • retro74 12 May 2020 12:47:29 3,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SolidSCB #5 is ace, I keep saying it on here but not many people agree

It just plays so beautifully and when you start getting the good weapons it's an absolute riot

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.