UK Election 2019 Top Portillo Moments

• DugBriderider 22 Nov 2019 18:05:18 830 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just thought it would be nice to start speculating on the upcoming election's Portillo moments.

I am much more aware of the many Heros and Villans in this election it would be hard to pick a top 5 that I would like to see unseated or on a more positive note some that make it against the odds. Also trying to gauge how likely we are going see those magic moments when we lift a glass in the wee hours of election night.
  • DugBriderider 22 Nov 2019 18:18:04 830 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Obvious start:

Uxbridge and South Ruislip: if Ali Millani(Lab) overcomes Boris Johnson's(Con) 5k majority it will make history.

It's a big ask but the anti-tory voters in this area will be able to strike the biggest blow and that could galvanise them.
  • Frogofdoom 22 Nov 2019 18:22:04 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talk of Raab's seat being under threat which would be amazing considering his 24000 majority
  • Ddanno 22 Nov 2019 18:29:11 1,457 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's a big push for Labour to take Ian Duncan Smith's seat in Chingford. If I lived 300 metres further north I'd be lending my vote

2.5k majority, so not impossible.

Edited by Ddanno at 18:32:10 22-11-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 22 Nov 2019 19:25:43 11,710 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wish there was push to unseat Graham Stringer here.
  • hedben2013 23 Nov 2019 07:58:16 1,274 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wouldn't exactly be a Portillo moment, but if former-Tory-now-Independent Anna Soubry can beat the new unknown pro-Brexiter the Tories have put up in Broxtowe, that would be something.

I wouldn't have given her a hope in hell normally because it was close between Tories and Labour in 2017, and you have to figure a fair chunk of the Tory vote just goes that way regardless of who's standing. But she has the endorsement of at least one pro-remain tactical voting site, and our Labour guy us a bit of a wet lettuce, so I reckon she could do better than you'd expect for an independent.

Or alternatively she could split the remain vote and let the Tory in.
  • DugBriderider 23 Nov 2019 19:36:36 830 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anna Soubry and Dominic Greave are the two Tories at heart I will be cheering for if they get their seats back after fighting the party machine.

A bunch of nuevo Lib Dem's too, it will signify a change in politics if they can leave the party on principle then the voters follow the person not the party.
  • IRWATWO 23 Nov 2019 19:40:45 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Guardian says Observer poll says 19 point Tory lead, so Portillo moments might be few and far between. Don't think this is going to be as much fun as 2017 sadly
  • ResidentKnievel 23 Nov 2019 19:44:09 7,334 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We are turbofucked if it's a Tory landslide so let us delude ourselves until 13th December
  • IRWATWO 23 Nov 2019 20:10:42 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    We are turbofucked regardless, but I like the delusions thing.

The sad fact is, not only is Alex Fuckface our PM, he was destined for it. 70 million of us, give or take, and in every single UK in the entire multiverse, that cunt is still PM. It is inevitable.
  • X201 24 Nov 2019 07:37:03 19,668 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    Guardian says Observer poll says 19 point Tory lead, so Portillo moments might be few and far between. Don't think this is going to be as much fun as 2017 sadly
    300,000 new voters registered on one day alone last week. Vast majority of them under 35, which tends to favour Labour. So there’s a chance that their “ Youthquake” from 2017 could be on again and not showing in the polls
  • IRWATWO 24 Nov 2019 08:28:40 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    @X201 A chance, yes, but these new voters may be part of those poll figures, or may not heavily favour Labour.

I hope you're right, I would give a relatively significant chunk of all my stuffs to see Johnson ousted and humiliated beyond any chance of future return, but currently, I have a bad feeling about this. Tory 60 to 80 majority bad.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Nov 2019 09:08:28 8,551 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Wouldn't exactly be a Portillo moment, but if former-Tory-now-Independent Anna Soubry can beat the new unknown pro-Brexiter the Tories have put up in Broxtowe, that would be something.

I wouldn't have given her a hope in hell normally because it was close between Tories and Labour in 2017, and you have to figure a fair chunk of the Tory vote just goes that way regardless of who's standing. But she has the endorsement of at least one pro-remain tactical voting site, and our Labour guy us a bit of a wet lettuce, so I reckon she could do better than you'd expect for an independent.

If anything, she is likely to split the Tory vote and let the labour guy in.
  • Frogofdoom 24 Nov 2019 09:10:11 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That works too.
  • IRWATWO 30 Nov 2019 20:13:48 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/30/poll-finds-dominic-raab-risks-losing-seat-to-lib-dems

This sounds optimistic to me, but you never know.

/crosses everything
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Dec 2019 08:55:23 11,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's got the perfect face for it if it happens too
  • IRWATWO 1 Dec 2019 10:00:28 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    I'm still trying to decide who are more offensive, the Johnson Gove Patel types who understand precisely the effect their words have, and dog whistle in half a dozen ways at the same time, or the Raab Cleverly Williamson brigade, who are thick as pigshit and parrot whatever they are told to.

On balance, they are all cunts.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Dec 2019 10:30:50 11,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    And then Iain Duncan Smith is apparently both
  • hedben2013 1 Dec 2019 14:00:28 1,274 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    hedben2013 wrote:

If anything, she is likely to split the Tory vote and let the labour guy in.
    Update- the YouGov MRP has the Tories winning vs. Labour and Soubry a distant third. Still not sure which side she's stealing more votes from but fucking depressing that a complete unknown Tory they've dropped into the constituency can poll better than Labour already. Shows people are voting on the single issue Brexit get-it-done lie, or party allegiance
  • IRWATWO 1 Dec 2019 16:54:14 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    And then Iain Duncan Smith is apparently both
    Yes, a cunt squared. Along with shitbags like David Davies and John Redwood, he has been proved wrong so many times that the first question R4 should ask them when they sit down is 'How the fuck do you have the brass-neck to turn up here?'

Shameless.
  • DugBriderider 3 Dec 2019 13:33:36 830 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nice visual guide from twitter
  • IRWATWO 3 Dec 2019 13:40:34 271 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Redwood and IDS losing would just free up more time for them to spend with their vast pension and Nazi memorabilia, fuck them either way, but most of the rest would be great.

Until they get parachuted back into the HoC anyway.
  • gamingdave 3 Dec 2019 13:42:01 4,840 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I live in Islington North, and so far the only leaflet I have had through the door is from the Lib Dems. They are going with the message that they beat Labour (only just) in the European elections this year, and that the same swing would give them the seat.

Unlikely, but you never know. Hung parliament with Corbyn and Johnson both loosing seats, that would just about sum up modern British politics

From a quick check on Paddy Power though, Corbyn has 1/50 odds, the LD 16/1

Edited by gamingdave at 13:46:36 03-12-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.