Phoenix Point

First Previous
  • ChiefGB 2 Dec 2019 21:20:53 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím sure thereís a thread out there somewhere but who is onboard with this one?

I preordered it in the epic sale in the summer, after not getting round to backing. I love a bit of xcom so Iím hoping this will be a fresh spin, although Iím not sure how polished it will all be.

Is the game up for preload? What time do games usually go live on epic?
  • Frogofdoom 2 Dec 2019 21:22:57 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's out tomorrow isnt it?

I will be playing it on pc gamepass but darkest dungeon has its hooks in me at the moment so it needs to be good.
  • ChiefGB 2 Dec 2019 21:50:14 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes tomorrow, Iím guessing I wonít be able to get till late tomorrow as working till 10 so I guess it will be a Wednesday morning thing for me.
    No reviews as of yet for what is single player only afaik.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Dec 2019 22:05:48 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure it's going to be on gamepass at launch as they said it may not be certified in time. I wouldn't worry too much about reviews as Julian Gollop knows his shit when it comes to these games.
  • JamboWayOh 2 Dec 2019 22:09:08 16,042 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm. Well let's see how it is technically.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Dec 2019 22:13:11 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/e55kqu/youtube_10117_christopherodd_legend_campaign_part/

Someone playing it there and it looks like xcom with vats style targetting.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 22:16:06 02-12-2019
  • AaronTurner 3 Dec 2019 09:37:58 11,516 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Disappointed with the lack of reviews or information regarding game pass. The whole release has been a bit of a mess. Gameplay looks brilliant though.
  • Zyrr 3 Dec 2019 09:59:16 406 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I backed this on Kickstarter and there hasn't really been much communication from the Devs regarding the console versions. All we really know from an update last month is that Xbox will be released Q1 2020 and then PS4 later in the year.

Looking forward to playing the finished product. I participated in some of the earlier closed betas, but stayed away from the later builds in order to avoid spoiling it for myself.
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 10:31:07 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Slightly worried that the campaign will just consist of random missions with static briefing screens and that the production values will be a bit basic. Not the be all and end all as gameplay is king but itís always nice to have some atmosphere to sink your teeth into especially with a new scifi setting.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Dec 2019 10:34:52 16,042 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hmmm, that sounds pretty bare bones.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 10:55:00 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Picked this up cheap on cdkeys over the weekend. Slightly worried that my code hasn't unlocked yet, but note that the release date seems to be 7PM GMT. Fingers crossed it does come through.

Agree the information vacuum is a bit worrying so close to launch. Between this and Mechwarrior 5, there are two December releases I'm really hoping are decent, but which are sending off all kinds of warning signals.
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 11:04:48 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The very little I've seen seems solid enough in terms of gameplay.
    Thereís a set of vids they have uploaded to YouTube called ďPhoenix point for xcom fansĒ which details the fact itís a little more layered than xcom, although not by a huge amount it may well open more options than before.

I love to tinker with strat games but really struggle to spend hours upon hours with them, I put them down and then get too scared to pick them back up after a long layoff so I probably shouldnít be getting too worked up here anyway lol.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 11:06:26 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    150 hours or so on the clock with XCom 2. Almost at 200 on BattleTech. I'm almost afraid that this will be good, as games in this genre tend to devour my gaming time like nothing else.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 19:08:48 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    EG give it a no-mark, but a broadly positive write-up (reads almost like a recommended).

A bit concerned that this is apparently live now and cdkeys still haven't come through with a code.
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 19:15:43 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Itís not allowing me to download from epic either.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 19:46:57 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ooooh! E-mail from cdkeys below.

We regret to inform you that there has been an issue with the supply of stock for this title and despite our best efforts yesterday to source, we have discovered that Epic Games will now not be providing 3rd Party keys. Sadly this means we are unable to complete your order and have refunded your payment.
    We appreciate how frustrating this will be and we are extremely grateful for your patience. We never want to let our customers down and would like to provide you with a discount voucher as means of an apology -
    We are sorry for the inconvenience and look forward to welcoming you back to the site soon.
    Kind Regards,
    Not seen that before! Mind you, the price gap between EGS and cdkeys was huge.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Dec 2019 19:54:19 3,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What little I played of the betas was promising and Julian Gollop rarely let's us down so expecting good things here. Being similar in style to the original X-Com but modernised was the whole point of the game so not too worried about similarities. Now to download it... (backer here)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2019 20:06:01 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Apparently this is also going to be on gamepass, though it doesn't seem to be there at the moment. I'll probably go for that. This is the sort of game I'd be more prone to buy than use gamepass for, but with a mixed reception so far, I can definitely go for try-before-buy rather than shelling out full price on EGS.
  • Frogofdoom 3 Dec 2019 20:12:02 14,856 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's going to be a bit late on gamepass as it needs ms certification.
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 20:26:47 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Itís not even on epic yet.
  • Zyrr 3 Dec 2019 20:31:51 406 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My copy is downloading from the Epic Store. 15GB though, so I probably won't get to play it tonight.
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 22:18:18 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I grabbed it in the end, rather my wife did having left her with clear instructions lol. Disappointed to hear no score, but maybe it will get patched and develop as it goes. Iíll have a read and see what the vibe was
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 22:21:05 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out she only downloaded the preorder dlc 🤦🏻‍♂️ Oh well least it shouldnít take too long at 15gb
  • ChiefGB 3 Dec 2019 22:49:37 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    https://youtu.be/WVssYeb9TY8

Wait for a sale, but he did seem to enjoy it.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Dec 2019 00:21:15 3,646 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems decent from a quick few hours. How long it lasts is another matter but I am happy so far.
  • ChiefGB 4 Dec 2019 10:54:37 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So a bit of an update, game runs perfectly well on older systems, although loading times are pretty grim for me.
    Game itself is fine from the first couple of tutorials, although the ui does feel a little fussy (Iím playing in controller which is fully supported) with a bit of repetitive clicking to see out your actions at timeís and it doesnít feel entirely intuitive but likely better on kB+m. No font sizing issues which I often suffer playing on my tv which is nice with everything nice and clear.

The art is functional but not much of a looker (to be expected) the sound design is ok, there doesnít seem to be any ďthemesĒ as such and itís more atmospheric noises really, the end of mission tune sounds like itís come from a mobile game or something, va is fine, nothing special so far but lacking some gravitas like the xcom command dude
    from those games.

Iím not really a strategy expert so will be hard placed to tear down that aspect especially this early, but the free aim does give it an extra layer of choice.

All in all a fair start, but it does show its lower budget at times, which in the pc space isnít really an issue, just that itís less flashy, pulpy and dramatic than xcom 2 for example.

Edited by ChiefGB at 10:55:04 04-12-2019
  • ChiefGB 5 Dec 2019 16:41:18 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok this isnít quite ready yet, just been stuck on a mission as the vertical plane toggle was not cutting through the floors of a multi-storey building and as such I couldnít see the objective marker. YouTubed the mission and it should have been a piece of piss yet I couldnít see a thing and had to inch my way around the map to get to the ďinvisibleĒ marker as the ceiling wouldnít cut away.

Not fun at all, game seems decent though but this kind of shit has no place.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Dec 2019 17:01:00 6,929 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChiefGB Maybe that "MS certification" holding back the gamepass release is more than just a formality...
  • ChiefGB 5 Dec 2019 17:41:11 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In retrospect I could have tried reloading or something but just pushed through. Before checking a vid I wasnít sure if it was a bug or just terrible design.
    It is a nice game, itís very xcom but it has production values similar to battletech (which I know you are familiar with 🤣😬;) which is a bit of a step backwards. The free aim aspect is nice though as itís gives you an extra layer of satisfaction, it just doesnít have a large amount of personality so far and the threat hasnít ramped up yet but
    Iím still quite early so still poking around at things.

Edited by ChiefGB at 17:42:13 05-12-2019
  • JamboWayOh 5 Dec 2019 17:49:55 16,042 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @ChiefGB Maybe that "MS certification" holding back the gamepass release is more than just a formality...
    Yeahhhhhh. This article alludes to many issues.

https://kotaku.com/phoenix-point-is-a-bigger-messier-xcom-1840162620

There's a lot of apologists in the comments and I think this game needed more time in the oven. Just because a game is somewhat hardcore doesn't mean things like balancing and signposting isn't required. There's holding your hand and there's giving you information on a dirty scrap of paper written in invisible ink.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.