Mechwarrior 5

First Previous
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Dec 2019 10:21:14 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So, which hero with money to burn is going to take a punt on this and let me know if it's an utter clusterfuck or not?
  • ChiefGB 10 Dec 2019 10:22:05 12,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rogueywon this ones for you.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2019 10:41:30 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep, I pre-ordered (persuaded by a friend that we should give co-op a go). Gather it doesn't unlock until 8AM PST, 6PM GMT, so haven't installed yet.

To be honest, all the warning signs of "dumpster fire" are present and correct:

- Multiple delays to release date, often announced at short notice: CHECK
    - Rumours that without the money from Epic, they devs wouldn't have been able to finish the game: CHECK
    - Janky-as-hell preview materials, albeit improving in the last couple of weeks: CHECK
    - Mixed-to-poor reports from those who've played betas: CHECK
    - Release date slammed right up against Christmas implying a publisher who's lost patience: CHECK
    - No pre-release reviews: CHECK

One or two of the above on their own might not have been cause for concern, but with all of them present and correct, it doesn't look good. Having a nutso-bastard week at work, so may not get a chance to try it until the weekend. Will post views when I've tried it.

Would really like this to be good. 2018's BattleTech game the franchise a shot in the arm after it had been moribund for years (and is also probably the best turn-based strategy of the decade). If Mechwarrior 5 could do the same to the more action-oriented side of things, that would be great.

But as of right now, I'm not getting my hopes up.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2019 15:38:48 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So reviews are up. Getting a pretty mixed reception so far. Destructoid quite liked it with an 8/10, but I'm seeing plenty of other 3/5 and 2.5/5 reviews.

Consensus seems to be that the actual mech combat is pretty solid (not too fast paced as some were worried from the trailers and still pretty tactical), but that a lot of the stuff around the combat needs to be better. Companion AI is apparently poor, mission structure is repetitive (as are environments) and the story goes nowhere fast. Technically, the game could charitably be described as "AA quality". Some promised features such as RTX support and DLSS aren't present at launch, but coming later via patches.

Co-op gets singled out for praise in a few reviews, though, so maybe my purchase will have been worth the money.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Dec 2019 16:15:45 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sounds pretty budget. I'm in.
  • DasBooter 10 Dec 2019 17:02:14 488 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll likely get this in the new year, hopefully when it's a bit cheaper. Mainly for the co-op.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 10 Dec 2019 17:15:19 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmmm. The RPS video is disturbingly positive.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2019 22:13:33 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hoping against hope that this could be another Battletech, where initial reviews get hung up on the jank but the quality shines through after a couple of patches.

Probably wonít be, though.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Dec 2019 23:02:50 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    In from work and it's installing now. Unlikely to be able to play tonight, though.

This is going to be a shitter of a week.
  • Zyrr 11 Dec 2019 07:15:59 461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I put a couple of hours into this last night and I'm enjoying it so far. I think HBS' Battletech has had a profound influence on the development of the campaign, with navigating the starmap and negotiating contracts (balancing cash and salvage rights) being nigh-on identical to that game. The mech management aspect is all very typical of the franchise in general and there seems to be a decent spread of weapons, including burst fire ACs and fancier lostech like pulse lasers.

The mech combat feels right so far - nice and 'heavy' in the starter Centurion - but bear in mind the last game I played in this series was MW3 twenty years ago, and I might be misremembering how that and MW2 used to handle. Also I've not tried anything above 50T yet.

Graphics are alright, but nothing amazing even cranked right up. No VR support that I can find, which sucks. Weapon sounds are nice, but the voice acting seems universally terrible.

Missions seem very typical of the series, so no real complaints. Team mate AI is a real mixed bag, though: one minute they're popping helicopters out of the sky at max range with medium lasers and the next they're blindly walking through buildings that you're supposed to be defending.

It does feel a bit rough around the edges, but the meat and bones of the game seem solid enough. Hopefully they'll iron out the creases in due course.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 07:33:09 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Zyrr The "Heavy" thing is a big deal for me. That's always been the big distinction between the Mechwarrior games (and their Western imitators like Earthsiege), compared to the Japanese mecha games like Armoured Core and the Gundam titles, where mecha zip around the battlefield like flies.
  • neems 11 Dec 2019 07:42:50 4,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I hope you're happy, because of you I have just bought BattleTech. It cost me a whole... £4.97. It better be good.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 08:07:52 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @neems It is amazing. Be warned it takes a bit of adjustment, particularly if youíve played the Firaxis XCom games. Some superficial similarities mask a lot of quite deep differences.

Myself and others have posted a lot of tips for it over in the thread.
  • neems 11 Dec 2019 09:48:29 4,861 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Cheers I'll check it out. In all honesty it might be a while before I get round to it (I am neck deep in Surge 2 at the moment, with Darksiders Genesis and The Touryst on my list, as well as Planet Zoo) but for less than a fiver it seemed a no brainer.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Dec 2019 10:02:40 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sooooo...I may have just bought this.

I'm such an idiotic sucker for stompy robots.
  • ChiefGB 11 Dec 2019 10:03:33 12,553 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember managing to jump on an amazon pricing error, it was like £12 for the digital deluxe edition some point during launch week. For my sins Iíve not actually played it a great deal but enjoyed it, just a bit scared to go back to it now tbh.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Dec 2019 10:05:35 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Battletech is seriously amazing. You should play it. One of the best turn-based tactics games around.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 10:38:40 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I remember managing to jump on an amazon pricing error, it was like £12 for the digital deluxe edition some point during launch week. For my sins Iíve not actually played it a great deal but enjoyed it, just a bit scared to go back to it now tbh.
    Go back to it fresh and start a new campaign mode game. Ideally get the DLC, but even without it, post-launch patches have made it a lot more polished and accessible than it was at launch. The depth is still terrifying, but it introduces you to its systems much more smoothly now.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Dec 2019 13:57:07 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm. This is utterly kicking my ass. Not sure the pad controls are up to the task :(
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 14:04:45 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Some of the reviews indicate that either KB+mouse or a proper joystick is the way to go for this. Sounds properly old-school. Still remember playing MW2:Mercs on my Thrustmaster FLCS.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 Dec 2019 14:10:22 33,020 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Don't really see how a joystick would make much difference. The turning speed is so much slower than if using a mouse and the game just chucks a tonne of fast moving small shit at you. Sitting at a desk is for chumps though :(

My Centurion appears to be made of tissue paper, which isn't helping.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 21:17:40 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh my word, it's a little time-capsule of early-00s PC gaming. For better and for worse.
  • DasBooter 11 Dec 2019 21:55:04 488 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tell us more!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 11 Dec 2019 22:57:56 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Right... thoughts after 4 missions (all I have time for tonight).

It is very, very retro. I wasn't joking when I said it's a time capsule from the early-00s. Even that might be underestimating it. In many ways it is more of a '90s vibe. You can technically play it on a pad (sort of), but it has a whole keyboard-full of controls. You can almost feel the card overlay to put ontop of your keyboard that should have come in the game-box.

Visuals are strictly AA level. You get the odd moment where it looks really pretty, but for the most part, it is pretty barebones. If I was being charitable, I'd say it prioritises clarity and performance over visuals. If I was being less charitable, I'd say it looks very last-gen. Terrain can be very geometrically simple at times. Mechs look ok in some respects - their textures make them looks pleasingly worn and fit the lore of the setting - but the models are fairly low-poly even with maxed settings. Explosions and other visual effects look incredibly dated. Performance, however, is fine. 4k/ultra/60fps is trivial.

Production values are... retro. Voice acting is laughably bad. It's a real flashback to those early CD-ROMs where they got the developers' families to do the voices because they couldn't afford - or didn't see why they should shell out on - professionals. Even the cringeworthy English dubs of low-tier JRPGs are better than this. That said, there's a certain cheesy charm.

As for the combat... it's MechWarrior. Seriously. They more or less fixed the feel of combat in MW2:Mercs and it hasn't changed much since then. It's still the same. I've piloted two mechs so far (the starters it gives you) - a Javelin and a Centurion. The Javelin is a fast light mech with a lasers-only build. It feels fast, fragile and under-gunned, just as it should. The Centurion is a mid-weight brawler and feels just like it should as well. Weapons feel good. Lasers actually feel like lasers (rare in games) and auto-cannons have a decent sense of heft and recoil. The minimum range limitation on LRMs is annoying (maybe there's an option to blind-fire I haven't found), but that might improve later when I get more stand-up fights. Incoming damage feedback feels like it needs some tuning - I've taken minor hits that shook the screen like crazy, but it took me a while to notice I'd had an arm shot off.

Difficulty does not mess around... again, pretty retro. Early missions just throw you up against vehicles and helicopters, which are no match for a mech individually, but you fight a lot of them. Your first fight against a mech puts you against one much smaller than you, but does so at the end of a fairly long mission where you're going to be in bad shape.

The game still hasn't opened up past the linear introductory bits yet and although campaign co-op is an advertised feature, I haven't unlocked it yet. Guessing you need to get past the intro parts first.

Actually, one impressive thing. Other than the Bull Shark (which was made specially for BattleTech's Heavy Metal DLC), every mech from Harebrained's BattleTech is present and correct in this (you can check via instant-action mode), with properly done cockpits and everything. That includes all of Battletech's DLC, so you've got recently added (to the PC game) mechs like the Marauder and the Annihilator, as well as exotics like the Raven.

Edit: Did one more mission and unlocked campaign co-op. So yay.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:39:21 11-12-2019
  • DasBooter 12 Dec 2019 05:27:24 488 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers 👍
    Think I can live with all of that
  • Zyrr 12 Dec 2019 06:46:10 461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still in the starter Centurion, but I spiced it up a bit by replacing the standard autocannon 10 with a level 2 burst fire version (which fires 3 shells in rapid succession) and my cockpit kills have improved massively. It's an absolute beast.

Also did a standard assassination contract last night where the target turned out to be *two* mechs: a Hunchback and a bloody Battlemaster supported by vehicles! My lance was Centurion/Vindicator/Panther/Javelin and we came out okay (well, apart from the Panther, who took the brunt of the fire and lost both arms and a leg). The Hunchback was up for salvage at 11 shares, but the maximum salvage for the contract was 10. Gutted.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Dec 2019 08:05:57 6,452 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like a pretty decent game. It's annoying that it's not on steam and I'm not used to paying £40 for pc games. Will keep an eye on it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Dec 2019 09:13:13 8,979 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I can see people choking on the price at the moment, given the overall lack of polish. My sense after 5 missions and a quick mess around in instant action mode last night is that there is a good game in there, but it's buried under a huge pile of rough edges.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.