Xbox Series X Page 41

• Rodney 30 Jul 2020 09:08:45 4,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Post deleted
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Jul 2020 09:11:17 15,989 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Microsoft has bought a lot of B tier developers.

At this stage it is difficult to judge whether they will continue to make good but unremarkable games or if a bit of financial backing and more development time will elevate their games. (Probably be a bit of both).

Obsidian in particular appear to be the sort of developer who could produce something spectacular with the right support.

With MS pushing Gamepass heavily though their master plan might however be to focus on having lots and lots of good games. So they might not be looking for their new developers to make better games, just for them to continue making good ones.

Essentially it is too early to tell.

My gut feeling is that the very best exclusives will still be found on Nintendo and Sony platforms but in a couple of years, once the next generation is fully underway, MS will give us a steadier stream of good exclusive games.
  • Fourwisemen 30 Jul 2020 09:11:38 916 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @THFourteen

We all have our different perceptions of value..

I'd happily spend £30 on a beautifully cooked piece of Steak but consider £5 on a McDs a waste of money and no doubt many would think the opposite.

There's no right or wrong answers on this other than if you perceive Gamepass to be of value then great, if you don't then don't engage with it.

PS Some decent games on Gamepass Ultimate for PC though you know.. ;-)
  • Rodney 30 Jul 2020 09:12:17 4,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why wouldn't Xbox support VR?

Couldn't it just be supported with software, or would need specific hardware built into the console?
  • THFourteen 30 Jul 2020 09:19:49 53,831 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    @THFourteen

PS Some decent games on Gamepass Ultimate for PC though you know.. ;-)
    I actually already have it hehe :-)
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 09:30:00 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Why wouldn't Xbox support VR?

Couldn't it just be supported with software, or would need specific hardware built into the console?
    Despite effectively being a PC, it's not a PC. The OS would need to offer support for the VR devices, it's not just plug 'n' play, so it needs MS to get on board.
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 10:05:04 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    But it is a good question for MS: why wouldn't they add support as it seems like something fairly simple to do... I guess output limitations are annoying, with no USB C.
  • beastmaster 30 Jul 2020 10:18:19 20,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wouldn't it have to be propriety hardware for VR? There's probably not enough of a market share for them to think it viable, which seems more realistic.
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 10:44:33 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why? You need good graphics capability (which the series X has more than enough over the PC minimum specs for vr (Geforce 1060 I think)), and you need to able to plug it in!

USB & hdmi should be able to handle this (usb c would have solved both of these).
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 10:56:17 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Depending on the solution (i.e. external or built-in 6DOF tracking) you could probably do it even on the One. MS just chose not to do so, for whatever reason.

There were strong rumours that they were going to support the Rift, but that never materialised. The non-X Ones being underpowered sacks of shit was probably the reason there, but the Series X would take it in its stride.

The question is what's in it for MS? Sony built their own PSVR solution, so they can control the experience, they can build the software, they can make their profit. If MS just opened support to 3rd party devices it'd be cursed to the fate of all peripherals, and die without a trace and no software support.

I guess they could encourage all the PC titles to jump over, and potentially make that an easy thing to do, but they'd need to play nice with Valve, as they provide the best all-round SDK for that shit right now. Not sure that's likely to happen. :)
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 10:57:34 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    (I'm also fairly sure everyone inside MS gets Kinect-esque feelings of doom and failure when anyone suggests any kind of peripheral outside of a joypad :) )
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 11:12:14 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Phattso as I posted on previous page... Microsoft worked with HP and Valve on the G2 WMR headset which will be the only (initially/officially) supported VR headset...
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 11:16:25 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ..on PC, for Flight Sim. But we're talking about VR on XBOX no?

Also MS != XBOX. It's a big company, with lots of OS plans outside of gaming.
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 11:40:19 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LET ME HOPE DAMMIT
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 11:42:03 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was joining up dots on why Gabe Newell preferred the xbox over ps5. My complete conjecture was that it was because they were working on bringing VR to xbox series x, with Alyx as a launch title.
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 11:42:25 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    :D. Don't get me wrong, at this point I'd love it if the Series X let me plug in my existing PCVR gear. My living room has loads more space than the back room the PC is in, so it'd open up VR again in my household.

But I'm not interested in HP's offering. At all. :)
  • Ror 30 Jul 2020 13:04:33 20,224 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd want the Series X to support the Rift S (because it's what I have), but they'd need to make some kind of break-out box for it :/
  • Rodney 30 Jul 2020 13:45:09 4,466 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    (I'm also fairly sure everyone inside MS gets Kinect-esque feelings of doom and failure when anyone suggests any kind of peripheral outside of a joypad :) )
    I don't want to tempt fate, but if they combined Kinect with VR (and made Kinect not shit), it might have been alright.
  • Technoishmatt 30 Jul 2020 13:50:22 4,279 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I'd want the Series X to support the Rift S (because it's what I have), but they'd need to make some kind of break-out box for it :/
    Because of lack of display port?
  • Ror 30 Jul 2020 14:00:22 20,224 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Yeah.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Jul 2020 16:53:37 10,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Yeah.
    The new xbox has usb3, they could do it through there.
    Isnít Microsoft working with Facebook anyway on some online stuff or did I make that up?
  • Fake_Blood 30 Jul 2020 16:55:36 10,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, MS closed Mixer and is moving everyone to Facebook Gaming, whatever the fuck that is.
  • Fake_Blood 30 Jul 2020 17:00:04 10,446 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, the Oculus Quest supports a wired connection to a pc over usb3 (and also over usb 2.0 but at lower quality), so it would make more sense to support that instead of the Rift S. And no official numbers, but I think they've sold a lot more Quests that Rift S'es.
  • Phattso 30 Jul 2020 17:01:17 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    With the rumours of a revised Quest (Quest S?) coming in September, I'd happily pick that up to play on the Series X whilst waiting for PSVR2.
  • Ror 31 Jul 2020 14:38:55 20,224 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeff Grubb of VentureBeat seems convinced that XBL Gold will be going away.
  • Phattso 31 Jul 2020 14:55:13 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Didn't they quietly stop selling codes for that a few weeks ago? Absolutely on the card - with the various tiers of GamePass, there's no need any more.

I also wonder if they might make online gaming gratis as a spoiler tactic to Sony's PSN, based on the Halo Infinite rumour, but that feels more far fetched.
  • Phattso 31 Jul 2020 14:55:56 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    (but they should, because paying for fucking multiplayer was always the most backward thing ever introduced to the industry)
  • Dazimus 31 Jul 2020 15:00:06 1,287 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso Apparently online multiplayer will be free too.

Free online multiplayer and GamePass is a pretty solid offering from Microsoft. They donít have anywhere near the exclusives that Sony has but free online and GamePass is such a good deal for the likes of families with limited income.

https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/1289103311220736002?s=21

Edited by Dazimus at 15:01:18 31-07-2020

Edited by Dazimus at 15:03:39 31-07-2020
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Jul 2020 15:02:30 15,989 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am fully expecting Live, GP and XCloud to all become a single package.

That way they can make all games forward compatible via XCloud and achieve the generation free experience they promised previously.
  • Phattso 31 Jul 2020 15:06:19 25,474 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dazimus wrote:
    @Phattso Apparently online multiplayer will be free too.]
    Well yeah - that was what I was getting at with "online gaming". :)

I mean, I was complicit. I paid the XBL tax for a decade, but back then they were genuinely ahead of the game. But now Steam is way ahead again, the ActiBlizz thing is halfway decent, etc. etc. There's no (good) excuse for charging for it on consoles any more.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.