Xbox Series X Page 42

Next Last
  • Technoishmatt 31 Jul 2020 15:43:41 4,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anybody with decent sense is paid up for xbox live, game pass and xcloud now for next three years anyway :)
  • robthehermit 31 Jul 2020 20:08:19 7,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't think they'll make online play free, but I think they will replace Gold with Game Pass and they can fend off the complaints of the people already signed up for Ultimate by saying we're now giving you xCloud instead.
  • Ror 31 Jul 2020 21:51:56 20,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think they're going to make people sub to Game Pass if they want to play online. There are probably three or four times as many Gold subs compared to GP (10mil), so for the vast majority that'd be a price hike. Going into next gen telling people they now need to pay more to play online (even if it does mean they get other benefits) isn't the smartest move.
  • robthehermit 31 Jul 2020 22:08:22 7,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At official prices GP only costs £1 more than Gold per month. The instantly increased user base means they'll be able to attract bigger and better games into the service and in doing so increase the perceived value to the consumer. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility.
  • Ror 31 Jul 2020 22:12:20 20,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is, but that hasn't tempted all (or even a majority of) Gold subs to move over as yet. I don't know if I think forcing them is the best idea.

I won't say it's beyond the realm of possibility, but I don't think they'll go that route.
  • paulboy81 31 Jul 2020 22:29:30 343 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    It is, but that hasn't tempted all (or even a majority of) Gold subs to move over as yet. I don't know if I think forcing them is the best idea.

I won't say it's beyond the realm of possibility, but I don't think they'll go that route.
    Tend to agree with Ror, plus standard Gamepass is only £1 more than Gold if you pay for your Gold monthly, £2 more if you pay quarterly and a whopping twice the price nearly if you paid yearly, you can't force those kinds of increases on people really.
  • robthehermit 1 Aug 2020 02:58:46 7,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    paulboy81 wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Tend to agree with Ror, plus standard Gamepass is only £1 more than Gold if you pay for your Gold monthly, £2 more if you pay quarterly and a whopping twice the price nearly if you paid yearly, you can't force those kinds of increases on people really.
    The thing that kicked off this discussion is the fact that MS have currently withdrawn the 12 month gold sub from sale, so unless they reinstate it or remove the need to have Gold to play online they've already forced that kind of increase on everybody anyway. And as Ror says there are many, many millions of Gold subscribers and there is no way that MS are going to give up that revenue stream.
  • Malek86 1 Aug 2020 06:50:59 10,162 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That is true, but at the same time, if MS's strategy of obtaining effective parity between Windows and Xbox experiences is to come to its logical endpoint, paid online only on console makes no sense.

Edited by Malek86 at 06:51:16 01-08-2020
  • paulboy81 1 Aug 2020 09:18:47 343 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    The thing that kicked off this discussion is the fact that MS have currently withdrawn the 12 month gold sub from sale, so unless they reinstate it or remove the need to have Gold to play online they've already forced that kind of increase on everybody anyway. And as Ror says there are many, many millions of Gold subscribers and there is no way that MS are going to give up that revenue stream.
    They'd be effectively doubling the price of admission for online play to anyone who used to pay annually, which I'd wager is the fair majority. I just can't see it happening.

Can't quite believe I'm actually saying this, I know it seems nonsensical of them from an immediate revenue perspective, but I think they might actually scrap Gold.
  • Ror 1 Aug 2020 16:14:50 20,224 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A few insiders seem to be pretty convinced that the online paywall is going away entirely. Be interesting to see what happens.
  • Phattso 1 Aug 2020 17:40:55 25,474 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In many ways, I only kept my PSN going for as long as I did because of the monthly “free” games. Barely played online. Game Pass does that properly, and is easily more enticing than a couple of random freebies a month.

You can see MS not even doing retail launches of all their games eventually, to force people onto GP. Much longer term, obvs.

Wonder how Sony might respond. :)

Jesus. The corporate machinations are more entertaining than the next gen games so far!!!
  • Technoishmatt 5 Aug 2020 16:52:00 4,279 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, the next Xbox device is not the series X but actually a Samsung Note, which comes with a bluetooth gamepad and three months of xcloud in Game Pass Ultimate.

The next phase begins!
  • robthehermit 5 Aug 2020 17:55:46 7,813 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Very, very tempted by the Note 20 4g.
  • Fourwisemen 8 Aug 2020 10:33:16 916 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gotta say this made me chuckle..

https://youtu.be/qZpQoeHobFQ
  • darrenb 8 Aug 2020 12:22:40 1,042 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    Gotta say this made me chuckle..

https://youtu.be/qZpQoeHobFQ
    Made me smile too
  • ozthegweat 8 Aug 2020 12:37:37 2,542 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Apple are being dickfaces and won't allow xCloud Game Pass on their App Store because reasons.

As Steam Link is allowed, they could instead do just the Console Streaming part couldn't they? I only want to play some Destiny on my iPad while the TV is in use...
  • Malek86 10 Aug 2020 05:22:07 10,162 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/8/9/21361157/microsoft-xbox-series-s-console-leak-controller-packaging

If that is genuine (and it appears to be), then the S is real.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.