Xbox Series X Page 95

• BOFH_UK 24 Sep 2020 14:16:38 238 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So just a thought but it might be time to start treating this gen for what it is: an upgrade not a reset. And that's the best news we as consumers have had for a long, long time!

Think about it: buy a Series X now and it's like buying a major PC upgrade. Your existing library keeps working, most titles see a decent performance boost and some get shiny new graphics or other features (Hairworks! Okay, okay, bad example...). Titles that take advantage of the new platform will start in small ways (ray tracing for instance) then hit their stride in a year or two.

Now compare that to previous generational changes. For the most part your old stuff stops working, you get a handful of new titles which very, very rarely push the hardware in any meaningful way beyond graphics anyway. You then wait ages for development to shift over while hoping that next gen versions of multi-plat titles don't get half their features carved out thanks to a lack of development time (oh hi EA, didn't see you there). By the time you get to that second wave in a year or two there's often been a price drop and all you've gotten for your day one purchase was Ryse.

This way you're getting the benefit of that purchase on more or less every game you play and in all sorts of small ways that do add up over time. Don't bother with 'show-off' games that are all glitz and sparkle, play the games you *want* to play knowing you're getting the best possible versions of them (at least in the console space). Sounds a hell of a lot better to me than what we've been used to.
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 24 Sep 2020 14:18:43 457 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:Load times are going to be much, much faster and so long as the games look way better, then that's probably enough for launch.
    It seems like such a small benefit, but when you're used to games loading up in seconds rather than minutes it makes a hell of a difference.

Theres a lot for non SSD owners to get pumped about. I'm interested to see how snappy everything is.

Edited by Yorkshire_Bourne at 14:35:58 24-09-2020
  • Malek86 24 Sep 2020 14:22:12 10,766 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Auto HDR sounds like an interesting feature too. I wonder about that. Feels like it could be ripe ground for accidental horrible-looking games... hopefully it can be disabled on a single game basis if needed.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:22:26 24-09-2020
  • Britesparc 24 Sep 2020 14:36:52 2,151 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Machine learning creates an AI art critic which judges the aesthetics of each game in real-time ;-)
  • monkman76 24 Sep 2020 14:49:37 16,816 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not enough is made of the improvement in loading times. It's not just initial loads either. I'm currently jumping between playing Forza Horizon 4 on a One X and on a laptop with an NVMe drive. On the laptop, changing cars takes about 3 seconds, so I do it all the time. On the Xbox, it takes long enough that I tend to just stick with one car for a whole session sometimes.
  • Zerobob 24 Sep 2020 14:51:10 2,560 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    CDPR have already come out and said it would run better AND look better from day one on the next gen consoles. Why are we discussing this shit again???
    Their exact words are "It will look better on the next-generation consoles from day one".

Whether that means better than the current gen base consoles, or better than PS4 Pro and One x as well, remains to be seen. Also, how much better will it look? Is it worth people spending time and money trying to buy a next-gen console for minor graphical upgrades when they already own a Pro or One X?

Also, "look better" doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better and be free of issues.

Look, all I'm saying is I'd like some exact official metrics on all games, such as a word on resolutions and frame rates, from Sony, Microsoft, or individual publishers themselves. Vague information from Tweets just doesn't cut it for me, when we're dealing with what must be known quantities at this point.

Edited by Zerobob at 14:53:52 24-09-2020
  • robthehermit 24 Sep 2020 14:53:01 7,985 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, more wavy blades of grass and some extra shiny lighting aside, I'm mainly jumping into the next gen for the decreased load times and the ability to instant resume more than one game.
  • robthehermit 24 Sep 2020 14:54:28 7,985 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    An oldie but a goodie:

• Zerobob 24 Sep 2020 14:55:12 2,560 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decreased load time would be a great thing to mention, and a fair assumption, but again, without any official metrics we just don't know.
  • Derblington 24 Sep 2020 14:56:13 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It won't be known for all of them right now. I would expect CDPR are still working on their update, and will be up until deadline for release.

I think "better" is pretty much what you're going to have to deal with, and read it as the entire XOne/PS4 families rather than specific machines. The new consoles are hardware upgrades to all of them.

If you want very specific numbers you're going to have to wait for DF to do some work post launch. No-one else is as anal as they are.

Edited by Derblington at 15:12:16 24-09-2020
  • monkman76 24 Sep 2020 14:58:19 16,816 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Decreased load time would be a great thing to mention, and a fair assumption, but again, without any official metrics we just don't know.
    Aside from the official Xbox videos showing side by side comparisons of loading times, and the fact that PCs with slower SSDs than the new consoles have already show massive improvement, you mean?
  • Derblington 24 Sep 2020 15:15:52 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It does seem to be covered via official channels already - they've said it will load faster, and the "optimized for Series X/S" label accounts for the performance/res stuff (accepting that games are coded differently and will have differing results within a general "better" range).

I don't know why that isn't enough?
  • Technoishmatt 24 Sep 2020 15:16:05 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i don't think we will have to wait until after launch, I presume that is why DF et al have received consoles so early, so that they can test stuff and put out reviews / benchmarks before launch. Seems too earlt to do if they were going to embargo until launch, and if there were no titles with back compat enhancements or with proper next gen settings upgrades, then this would also be a bit pointless.

So I reckon we will see some numbers by early October.
  • Phattso 24 Sep 2020 15:19:49 25,939 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm hoping there won't be any stupid embargoes on benchmarking. The pre-orders have sold out, and only a dribble of new machines are coming. There's nobody to scare off - they should just let them have at it, presuming there are "final" builds of enough software to make it useful.
  • Derblington 24 Sep 2020 15:20:29 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fair. I keep forgetting that we have a month to go - feels like it's next month.
  • Phattso 24 Sep 2020 15:24:47 25,939 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    47 days, dude. Forty. Seven. Days.
  • Zerobob 24 Sep 2020 15:28:07 2,560 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76 As I said, it's a fair assumption, but some videos of select games is hardly definitive.

As I said, I want concrete metrics for all cross-gen games so people know where they stand and know exactly what experience to expect from the new consoles, so they're able to make informed buying decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the average Series X/PS5 game will look better and load faster, but these things will differ from game to game, especially games that are potentially being emulated to some extent, if the code doesn't run natively on the next-gen console. I just don't think it's good enough to say they'll "look better" or "load faster" across the board without providing more detail.

Anyway, people seem happy to buy into the marketing, which is renowned for being accurate in the games industry, so let's leave it there. Time will tell I suppose.
  • Derblington 24 Sep 2020 15:30:07 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    47 days, dude. Forty. Seven. Days.
    Time flies in my personal home gaming cinema.
  • Derblington 24 Sep 2020 15:31:36 34,075 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Zerobob
    Will you not buy a console if they don't provide markedly better experiences?
    I think for most people it's a bonus rather than a reason to invest, so "better" is plenty.
  • Phattso 24 Sep 2020 15:33:34 25,939 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Anyway, people seem happy to buy into the marketing, which is renowned for being accurate in the games industry, so let's leave it there. Time will tell I suppose.
    But it's not like they're pulling the wool over people's eyes here - the SSD will absolutely load faster than a slow spinning mechanical drive. For running old gen games there's still inefficiencies of loading into RAM, decompressing, blatting into the GPU, etc. etc. and the CPU will be downlinked to behave like a last gen machine... but it will be tangibly faster even with no intervention from the game makers. This is a Good Thing.

Visuals it'll be harder to say, but noises from devs are that cross gen games will hit 4K at frame rates no worse than the last gen versions, and likely with detail turned up to the max. This is a Good Thing.

If that's not what you want to hear then fair enough, but I don't think anyone is setting unattainable expectation. If "better" isn't enough for you, fuck it off until 2021+. :)

Edited by Phattso at 15:34:21 24-09-2020
  • Baihu1983 24 Sep 2020 15:52:23 12,850 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switch-v85 wrote:
    @Baihu1983 It's down as Holiday 2020.
    Bit annoying that it's the only title in the coming soon section on the xbox store without a date
  • Malek86 24 Sep 2020 16:25:35 10,766 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Bit annoying that it's the only title in the coming soon section on the xbox store without a date
    The Medium, Scorn and Call of the Sea were part of a three-games reel that was supposed to come out on December 2020. Of course, it's possible that some might be delayed.
  • Rivuzu 24 Sep 2020 16:31:04 18,387 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That memory card is almost as much as the SeS itself.
  • EMarkM 24 Sep 2020 16:34:19 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BOFH_UK wrote:
    So just a thought but it might be time to start treating this gen for what it is: an upgrade not a reset. And that's the best news we as consumers have had for a long, long time!...
    I can't say I disagree with any of what you wrote - it's a good summary of the way I feel about it.

Which, by the way, is positive.
  • Technoishmatt 24 Sep 2020 16:36:17 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also literally the MS pitch :p. Looks like they have improved on tv tv tv.
  • dfunked09 24 Sep 2020 16:49:56 517 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    So much for the 159 Smyths had it up for... 220!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-24-xbox-series-x-s-1tb-expandable-storage-costs-usd220
  • beastmaster 24 Sep 2020 16:52:18 21,395 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Only one slot? Max of 2TB in total?
  • dfunked09 24 Sep 2020 16:56:31 517 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @beastmaster
    I guarantee there'll be a 2TB drive later on, but yeah, 2TB to start with.

Or buy two of these and swap them around if you fancy spending more than the console costs on storage...
  • Fourwisemen 24 Sep 2020 16:59:14 970 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dfunked09

By the time it's nestled in my TV unit there won'r be room for me to get round the back of it...

(please ignore any unintended innuendo in the above)
  • paulboy81 24 Sep 2020 17:01:25 373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    So much for the 159 Smyths had it up for... 220!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-24-xbox-series-x-s-1tb-expandable-storage-costs-usd220
    That's absolutely mental.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.