Xbox Series X Page 96

• monkman76 24 Sep 2020 17:02:57 16,812 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    £470 for a Series S with room for more than 4-5 games. Yowch.
  • dfunked09 24 Sep 2020 17:03:42 516 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Fourwisemen

Not even for a reach around?... ;)

I'll probably just stick with the internal drive and an external HDD to shift stuff off to in fairness. As nice as 2TB sounds, I'm not about to spend that much!

Or like I said earlier, maybe a cheap gen3 NVMe in a caddy for like £100. It won't launch SX games, but it'll be damn quick to copy stuff off.
  • Fourwisemen 24 Sep 2020 17:08:16 970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dfunked09

Same as. Iíve got a 2tb hard drive with games from my One X, shift over the ones with fancy Series X features and just transfer between the two as required. Iím rarely playing more than a few games at any one time anyway so shouldnít be any biggy.
  • Britesparc 24 Sep 2020 17:10:50 2,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought I had a 1TB drive plugged into my launch Xbox One, but it turns out it's only 500gb, so I imagine a 1TB Series X will do fine for the foreseeable...
  • Malek86 24 Sep 2020 17:19:02 10,765 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll definitely be fine with the basic SSD. Hell, I'm still using the old 500GB drive my original Xbox One came with, never expanded it.

It helps that I have fast internet, of course, but also that I tend to stick to only a few games at a time.
  • Psychotext 24 Sep 2020 17:44:17 67,580 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'd be fine with only a handful of games installed to be honest. But then I'm not really the target market for the X any more I'd say.
  • Newnameneeded 24 Sep 2020 17:53:40 66 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Stan546 wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    This is actually shaping up to be one of the best console launches in history (in terms of the software its launching with).

This is, of course, down to a large library of games being cross-gen, but still....

Cyberpunk 2077
    AC Valhalla
    Watch Dogs Legion
    Yakuza 7
    Gears Tactics
    Dirt 5
    COD Cold War

All those at launch/within a week of launch?, ridiculous.
    I'm of the opinion this is possibly the worst launch line up of games, not a single next gen only game at launch.
    Yeah I'm not seeing greatness in that list. Cyberpunk doesn't even belong, as you'll only be playing the PS4 or Xbone version no matter what console you have. And there's a COD literally every year, so of course there's one this year.
    Thatís the spirit.

Please keep us up to date with what youíll be playing at the end of the year, because obviously neither of you will pick up any of these games....
    That's not their point though, is it?

Every one of those games can be enjoyed just as much on the day one edition Xbox One I still have, which makes the launch line up seem unbelievably crap.

Infact the only thing competing with it for stupidity and laziness is whichever idiot thought calling the new consoles very very similar names to the old ones was a good idea.
  • Baihu1983 24 Sep 2020 18:53:19 12,850 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of the medium

https://youtu.be/oKOTftlRJdw
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Sep 2020 18:56:54 33,272 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh shit.

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/football-manager-2021-coming-xbox-december
  • Globalmeltdown 24 Sep 2020 19:38:28 831 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They have series S available on Amazon at the moment and the new series S/X play and charge kit available to preorder if anyone interested
  • SnackPlissken 24 Sep 2020 20:23:02 2,180 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone had any updates from Smyths? Literally heard nothing.
  • ligerbomb 24 Sep 2020 20:38:36 1 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I called them as soon as I had the cancellation e-mail through. (Received DD confirmation initially but not order, never got follow up e-mail, managed to order 'again' separately and had a confirmed pre-order and DD instruction set up with Klarna, then randomly cancelled). They sent me the below e-mail today, but note this was in my JUNK folder, so check there as you may have it.

"Dear Customer

We know you got a pre-order cancellation. This was an error. Your Xbox console is secure and will be held for you.

Thanks for your patience while we fix this mistake.

We will update you shortly.

Regards,

Smyths Toys
    "

That sounds promising , but at this point I have little faith in Smyths to sort this out smoothly. I have an SX pre-ordered outright and will do that if I have to but I would have much preferred and had planned to go the AA route.
  • SnackPlissken 24 Sep 2020 20:48:03 2,180 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ligerbomb wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I called them as soon as I had the cancellation e-mail through. (Received DD confirmation initially but not order, never got follow up e-mail, managed to order 'again' separately and had a confirmed pre-order and DD instruction set up with Klarna, then randomly cancelled). They sent me the below e-mail today, but note this was in my JUNK folder, so check there as you may have it.

"Dear Customer

We know you got a pre-order cancellation. This was an error. Your Xbox console is secure and will be held for you.

Regards,

Smyths Toys
    "

That sounds promising , but at this point I have little faith in Smyths to sort this out smoothly. I have an SX pre-ordered outright and will do that if I have to but I would have much preferred and had planned to go the AA route.
    Bloody hell what a nightmare. Just checked my spam and nothing. All Iíve got is the DD confirmation and I can see in my bank Iíve had a DD setup. Canít be right they can setup all this without an order.
  • richardiox 24 Sep 2020 20:52:50 8,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    They have series S available on Amazon at the moment and the new series S/X play and charge kit available to preorder if anyone interested
    Does that confirmed that the old play and charge won't work then? Obvs it's USB-C on the new one but hoping the battery pack will at least work.
  • Globalmeltdown 24 Sep 2020 21:35:43 831 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @richardiox I donít know mate, I ordered one just in case itís a different battery pack.
  • dfunked09 24 Sep 2020 21:48:32 516 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Sounds like the battery pack is the same, you just need to use a USB C cable obviously.
  • mikew1985 24 Sep 2020 22:00:13 14,934 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That hard drive is some price. I'll be giving it a miss until they drop in price. 150 is probably the maximum I would pay which i always knew was unlikely given proprietary + new ssd.

Good news though is that they will drop in price over the next couple of years. The underlying tech will become more affordable.
  • Stuz359 25 Sep 2020 07:49:22 289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Microsoft have always price gouged with peripherals, just a way of clawing back some money after making a loss on the actual console.
  • Baihu1983 25 Sep 2020 07:50:54 12,850 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    External hds still work though right?
  • Britesparc 25 Sep 2020 07:55:05 2,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Baihu1983 yes but you can't actually play Series X/S games from them. Back-compat or backup only.
  • Technoishmatt 25 Sep 2020 08:08:23 4,624 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do you know what is agonising?

Trying to decide which of your pre orders to cancel :p
  • SnackPlissken 25 Sep 2020 08:27:14 2,180 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:

I know what you mean. Neither console is offering much for me day one but I really want the performance increase and actually try 4k gaming.. I was going to cancel my PS5 if this All Access bollocks goings through but seems unlikely.
  • monkman76 25 Sep 2020 08:28:30 16,812 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:

Tell me about it. I've got PS5 disc/Amazon, PS5 digital/Argos, XSX/MS.com.
  • nickthegun 25 Sep 2020 09:00:37 83,331 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you cant play new games from 'old' storage, can you at least archive them there?

Like download all 300gb of CoD and just keep it on your old seagate USB drive until you need it and transfer it over to the internal storage?
  • richardiox 25 Sep 2020 09:05:20 8,994 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If you cant play new games from 'old' storage, can you at least archive them there?

Like download all 300gb of CoD and just keep it on your old seagate USB drive until you need it and transfer it over to the internal storage?
    Yes you can. The low storage of the S isn't ideal but you can park games on a USB HDD and transfer them over. Xbox One and 360 games can be played straight from HDD.

People who are saying the £200 SSD expansion is essential for the S are speaking shit.
  • Alan_Wakes_Torch 25 Sep 2020 09:09:52 63 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ligerbomb wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:

"Dear Customer

Regards,

Smyths Toys
    "

HOLY SHIT!!

Just checked my spam, never check that, would never even think to check that and yet there it was an email from Smyths

We know we let you down and it is important to us that we make this right. As you were unable to complete your order yesterday, we will hold a new Xbox console for you to pre-order on Xbox All Access.

If you would like to place your Xbox All Access pre-order you must complete the steps below before 5pm on Friday 25th September 2020 to secure your console.
    Its done, ordered, cant believe I nearly missed it!
  • Britesparc 25 Sep 2020 09:29:22 2,151 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    People who are saying the £200 SSD expansion is essential for the S are speaking shit.
    I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but I think this is true: more than 500gb is obviously nice, but I don't see why you need it unless you're manically flipping between dozens of huge AAA games.

Out of interest, I decided to see how my hard drive was composed. I have a launch Xbox One with, in total, just under 1gb of available space. I currently have 52 games installed, of various sizes. Of those, about 20 or so get played relatively regulalry by me or my family. So there's easy culling that could obviously be done if I was buying a Series S.

In fact, out of games that we regularly play, I have one game over 100gb (Halo: MCC), about half a dozen in the 30-50gb range, and then the rest are under 20gb, most of which are under 10gb. Some of the games that get the strongest workout are comparatively tiny, like Stardew Valley or Minecraft. And I have over 100gb free.

Now I have young kids which might skew things on the "small game" front (they play a lot of XBLA stuff) but all the same I think living within 500gb - especially if you can stick all your back-compat games on a cheap passport drive - is very doable.

Edited by Britesparc at 09:30:47 25-09-2020
  • Dazimus 25 Sep 2020 09:50:27 1,419 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stuz359 wrote:
    Microsoft have always price gouged with peripherals, just a way of clawing back some money after making a loss on the actual console.
    I donít think this is a case of price gouging as NBME 4.0 goes for around £160 anyway, then thereís the design of making it smaller than usual etc. Itís probably a tiny bit more expensive than normal but it doesnít look like theyíre ripping people off. Itís just new tech thatís expensive.
  • SnackPlissken 25 Sep 2020 09:52:53 2,180 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Alan_Wakes_Torch Nice! Iíve still heard fuck all from them. Getting a bit pissed off about it. They arenít responding to any of the messages and emails Iíve sent. Half tempted to be that saddo that sends a formal complaint to watchdog haha. I mean signing a credit agreement without the goods is pretty bad.

Edited by SnackPlissken at 09:53:39 25-09-2020
  • Baihu1983 25 Sep 2020 09:58:22 12,850 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    @Baihu1983 yes but you can't actually play Series X/S games from them. Back-compat or backup only.
    Damn...

Any decent alternatives to the official one?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.