Following Xbox Series X Page 14

• richarddavies 25 Feb 2020 09:19:29 7,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I want to see a puzzle game in the style of Columns but broken up with a deep story about a trans paraplegic hooker. And it's entirely voice acted in Dutch, no subtitles either.

EDIT: Oh, hi new page!

Edited by richarddavies at 09:20:06 25-02-2020
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2020 09:27:15 81,764 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Innovation sake for innovation sake gave us Kinect so careful what you wish for.
    Point of order: that wasnít really innovation as such. That was MS trying to muscle in on the Wii and then trying to install a surveillance device into your house.

Which is why it failed.
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2020 09:27:15 33,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    I'm still waiting for xbox to announce some exclusives of there own that might sway me but it's not happened yet.
    I donít think they have the studios to do this in a big way. Everyone theyíve been buying up are AA, niche market studios. Ninja Theory are probably the best chance they have for a Big Bang but the brawler thing doesnít look like itís going to do it and I canít see the Hellblade series doing it either. Itís not really the subject matter to go really large.
    Ed: they should bring back Kung Fu Chaos!

Edited by Derblington at 09:33:47 25-02-2020
  • hedben2013 25 Feb 2020 09:27:32 1,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    richardiox wrote:
    The ability to have Slay The Spire running permanently in the backgroundon the Series X is generation defining feature imo. It's never not there in a instant.

Keeping a couple of "quick blast" rogueish or arcade games in virtual memory will be brilliant.
    Having spent the past couple of weeks with only a Switch for company, I heartily agree with this. I'd never have thought pick-up-and-play was that important - my main games are GTA and RDR Online so I'm used to crazy loading times - but being able to grab the Switch and do a couple of turns on Into The Breach while cooking or doing other odd jobs was amazing.
  • EMarkM 25 Feb 2020 09:52:37 4,945 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iíve had: PS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii and PS4.

The Sony exclusives donít enthrall me all that much, and I have no interest in online-get-shot-in-the-face-by-ten-year-olds games.

What Iíll be hoping for in the next generation is a console that will offer good quality Western RPGs, along with the odd driving game, puzzle games, arcade-type stuff.

I really just want to play stuff like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Fable.

My current plan is to go Xbox this time, but weíll see how my thinking changes as announcements start to be made.

Edited by EMarkM at 09:53:48 25-02-2020
  • SnackPlissken 25 Feb 2020 10:07:33 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Innovation sake for innovation sake gave us Kinect so careful what you wish for.

I think innovation should be more on the software side and more power allows more freedom in game design..
    But it doesn't read like that. All we ever hear about is how you can play a game in 4k 60fps etc etc. I probably should have said that I wanted innovation in software. Reading the Vagrant Story article a few weeks back made me think.. the gameplay mechanics was really innovative for the time. Where was the innovation this generation?
  • beastmaster 25 Feb 2020 12:00:48 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm a tad confused about this announcement from the makers of Cyberpunk 2077 that the Series X version will be made free to anyone who buys the Xbox version, when it becomes available.

Isn't that just standard practice? Games will be enhanced for the more powerful machines? Don't know why some media outlets were making this a big deal.
  • Dirt3 25 Feb 2020 12:04:28 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like the increase in GPU over the XB1X is less than a factor of 2.

That would be a pretty low upgrade IMO.
  • richarddavies 25 Feb 2020 12:04:48 7,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One example is during the ps3/ps4 transition period when 4 was new. If you bought a ps3 game, you wouldn't get the ps4 version for free at a later date. Same really with the 360 to one.
  • Dirt3 25 Feb 2020 12:14:38 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What's the point of having all that GPU if you are not going to use it for something.

XB1X should be just about capable of 60fps 4K. XBSX won't have the power to go to 8K and there is no VR.

Xbox needs a VR solution and fast, because PS5 is going to be great on VR.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2020 12:15:52 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @EMarkM I think Xbox should be a good place to be next gen if you want western RPGs, given they now have Obsidian, InXile and Playground Games' new studio, which has been hiring up for an RPG.

Obsidian have some positions up now that mention a AAA RPG, and Brian Fargo has stated his intention to make bigger games than InXile have been known for of late (and Wasteland 3 looks like it's had a lot more resources since the acquisition).

Dirt3 wrote:

It's 2x in raw TF numbers, but on a much newer, more efficient architecture, so it should be more than twice as capable as the One X.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Feb 2020 12:17:37 10,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    @EMarkM I think Xbox should be a good place to be next gen if you want western RPGs, given they now have Obsidian, InXile and Playground Games' new studio, which has been hiring up for an RPG.

Obsidian have some positions up now that mention a AAA RPG, and Brian Fargo has stated his intention to make bigger games than InXile have been known for of late (and Wasteland 3 looks like it's had a lot more resources since the acquisition).

Dirt3 wrote:

It's 2x in raw TF numbers, but on a much newer, more efficient architecture, so it should be more than twice as capable as the One X.
    But it looks awful so nothing else matters.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2020 12:23:33 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it just looks a bit too nondescript to saw it looks bad, tbh.
  • richarddavies 25 Feb 2020 12:33:56 7,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it's just generic cuboid shape. Hard to form a strong opinion on something that boring. Maybe throw some flames on the side or maybe a waterfall feature on it and we'd be talking.
  • Fake_Blood 25 Feb 2020 12:40:10 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:

Dirt3 wrote:

Yes and good luck to the devs that need to develop games that also have to run on the base xbox one with 1/8th the gpu power.
  • Dirt3 25 Feb 2020 12:42:32 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Dirt3 wrote:

Yes and good luck to the devs that need to develop games that also have to run on the base xbox one with 1/8th the gpu power.
    xb1 is too far behind. Plus why will any dev put in the time optimising a game for XB1 ?
  • Fake_Blood 25 Feb 2020 12:46:31 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Dirt3 wrote:

xb1 is too far behind. Plus why will any dev put in the time optimising a game for XB1 ?
    Itís only first party devs that have to do it. No idea honestly, ask Phil.
  • Dirt3 25 Feb 2020 12:52:31 1,016 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I am going to switch to PS5.

My XB1X will be powerful enough to play most of the exclusives reasonably well for some time, and with the PS5 I get VR capability plus the chance to sweep up all the PS exclusives I've missed on PS4.

That is if the coronavirus doesn't stop all the console production.

Edited by Dirt3 at 12:53:15 25-02-2020
  • richarddavies 25 Feb 2020 12:56:28 7,668 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    I think I am going to switch to PS5.

My XB1X will be powerful enough to play most of the exclusives reasonably well for some time, and with the PS5 I get VR capability plus the chance to sweep up all the PS exclusives I've missed on PS4.

That is if the coronavirus doesn't stop all the console production.
    That's my thinking. I missed alot of games by being xbox exclusive this gen. Though it's a little mad that the main thing I'm probably going to buy a ps5 for is last gens games.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2020 12:59:23 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ror wrote:

Dirt3 wrote:

Itís only first party devs that have to do it. No idea honestly, ask Phil.
    I mean sure, it's not ideal, but it's probably only going to be for the first year.

It might be the case that MS will have to contract 3rd party studios to downport their XS games to the XBO for the first year, like we had Sumo making Forza Horizon 2 for the 360, or games they had marketing deals on like Titanfall (ported to 360 by Bluepoint) and Rise of the Tomb Raider (I forget who developed this version).
  • hedben2013 25 Feb 2020 13:18:59 1,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't even have a 4K TV and I'll be getting an XBSX early next year

Me upgrading from XB1 to XB1X: "I'll get a 4K TV eventually, until then it's a bit of a waste of money but it's a nicer form factor too..."

Me upgrading from XB1X to XBSX: "Loading times! Instant restarts! Skyrim mods that work even better! Teraflops! Big fuckoff cuboid box next to the 1080p TV!"

The whole thing where people obsess about "next gen gaming" every console generation has just added to the sense that everything is iterative. Doesn't matter if the next step up isn't a huge leap in GPU or whatever, any gradual improvement will be better and better utilised by developers for superior experiences to the ones on current consoles. And I say that as a relatively late adopter in every other generation.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2020 13:25:36 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm mainly looking forward to what the NVMe SSD will bring. I'm playing AC Oranges on PC atm, and I installed it to my NVMe. Fast travel to anywhere on the map takes about 4 seconds.
  • Graxlar_v3 25 Feb 2020 14:02:57 10,035 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When does backwards compatibility mean, all series x games have to run on XB1X?

Pretty sure all they are saying is hey, as per the norm there will be a transition period of a year or so that the games will be released on both platforms, dont worry though, if you buy a game on the Xbox one, you can have a free upgrade if you get a series X.
  • Fake_Blood 25 Feb 2020 14:32:40 10,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    But it also means they canít make the fast loading a necessity for new forms of gameplay because the old xbone has 5000 rpm mechanical drive.
  • EMarkM 25 Feb 2020 15:01:17 4,945 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    @EMarkM I think Xbox should be a good place to be next gen if you want western RPGs, given they now have Obsidian, InXile and Playground Games' new studio, which has been hiring up for an RPG...
    Cheers, Ror, thatís more information than I previously had. Sounds good!
  • robthehermit 25 Feb 2020 17:40:21 7,741 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I think Xbox should be a good place to be next gen if you want western RPGs, given they now have Obsidian, InXile and Playground Games' new studio, which has been hiring up for Fable 4.
  • HarryB 25 Feb 2020 20:06:33 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    But it also means they canít make the fast loading a necessity for new forms of gameplay because the old xbone has 5000 rpm mechanical drive.
    But the games are separate SKUs so itís not like the game HAS to have load screens on Series X just because it does on One X

I agree with what youíre saying though, they are trying to offer all this compatibility possibly at the expense of utilising the new hardware properly
  • Derblington 25 Feb 2020 20:26:26 33,148 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís not just about load screens - theyíll still be present, theyíll just be really, really quick. Gameworld streaming and certain types of gameplay will be the bigger catch points. Maybe they wonít hinder the XBSX SKU in most cases, but if a game still has to work on XBO hardware it will impact overall design in places.

Iím torn. Obviously consumer inclusiveness is good but I want the new hardware launch event, and you lose a chunk of that taking this approach. If Sony come out guns blazing with a new exclusive that shows off a bit of power it will make the XBSX offering look worse ďjustĒ to be playing XBO titles, no matter how fast they run.

Although XBOX owners are the prime movers to new hardware, I actually donít think it makes so much sense to do so early.
  • Ror 25 Feb 2020 20:39:19 20,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is something they'd have to work out anyway, as their first party games all come to PC now, and they can't assume every PC gamer is running their games off of a SATAIII SSD, let alone an NVMe.

I have a couple of games installed to my NVMe, but a couple is about all I can manage as it's a 500GB drive with my Windows install/program files on it. Everything else is on a 3TB HDD (albeit a 7200RPM one) until I can afford a 2TB SATA SSD.
  • Technoishmatt 25 Feb 2020 20:42:38 4,130 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Usually takes a while for games to take advantage of new hardware. The commitment to forward compatibility isnt eternal.

Except for nintendo arent 3rd party games like fifa, cod, and gta the main sellers?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.