Following Xbox Series X Page 202

• imamazed 7 Jan 2021 14:58:55 6,551 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    I think Fallen Order is generally very good looking, although I find the lighting to be a little flat. Even in quality mode it looks a bit washed out and Cal a little bit removed from the environment. I think it's just comparing it to the likes of Gears 5 and Cyberpunk, which I'm also playing at the moment.

Thing that's bugging me about Fallen Order at the moment though is it's totally stopped working with Quick Resume. Very frustrating. At least it doesn't take that long to boot up.
    Quick resume mostly worked for me, with perhaps 5-6 instances of log in "error" leading me back to the main menu. That's been a problem with standy since Xbone though, so I guess it just replicates it across quick resume.
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jan 2021 21:54:55 4,869 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh Microsoft. Fired up the old One X to play a US region Blu ray (as it is a US Xbox), and it wouldn't let me load the friggin blu ray app while offline.

I connect up an ethernet cable, and now I have been sitting watching a 700mb update download, verify and install for 15 min.

Update for the blu ray app now downloading... At 700kbps, wtf.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 21:57:06 07-01-2021
  • mothercruncher 7 Jan 2021 22:36:07 18,715 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your specs are the bottleneck. Full on Technomatt would have done much better.
  • Rogueywon 8 Jan 2021 00:07:25 10,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I managed to snag an order from a US model from Walmart, using complex forwarding arrangements to get around the fact they don't ship internationally. So far, my package seems to have moved slowly across Texas. The tracking seems to get updated every time the driver stops for a piss. Eventually, it should get to California, then get Fedexed to me.

I'm getting cat litter, aren't I?
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 11:54:37 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hey eurogamer xboxers
    Iím hoping somebody can help me determine what is up with my Series S. I get some really annoying what Iím gonna say is colour banding in certain scenes, across multiple games. Some worse than others. Valhalla seems totally fine. Currently playing RE2 Remake and some locations itís really, really bad. Thought it might be monitor so switched to my old one and getting the same thing. I have also tried:
    2 HDMI leads
    Different HDMI ports/displays
    Changing monitor settings, including HDR off
    Uninstalling/reinstalling RE2

Only thing I havenít tried is a full restore. Just wondering if anyone could take a look at the screenshot below and let me know whether this is a) standard/acceptable and b) whether they have the same problem.

https://m.imgur.com/zkbRIuD

Thanks!
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2021 12:02:18 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Go to settings, display and theres a 4k tv details which gives you a connection diagnostic.

I thought mine looked a bit weird (no banding, though) so I had a look at this and, like a dumbass, I had forgotten one of my HDMI ports wasnt full bandwidth, so it wasnt doing HDR10 and whatnot.

It might give you some info on whats up and show any changes you make.
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:16:18 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Iíve been digging into those menus but canít seem to improve anything. My monitor (EX2510) has 2 HDMIs, both 2.0. It does support HDR too but I have that turned off for now. Iíve just plugged it in to my 4K TV and have exactly the same issue, so think Iíve pretty much narrowed it down to the console.

At first I wondered if this was just some backwards compatibility issue with the Series S running essentially the One S version - Iím not sure how it runs on last gen but I doubt it has this banding problem? This is not normal right?
  • nickthegun 9 Jan 2021 12:23:07 84,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I mean, it might be as simple as it looked rubbish originally. I didn't play it. I have noticed quality is really variable so if it's not doing it on anything else, it's got to be the game, right?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Jan 2021 12:25:14 10,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @etccccc @etccccc That doesn't look like colour banding to me. Colour banding is when your TV doesn't support HDR10 properly and you get an image like the left one here:

I don't have a solution for you though.
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:27:47 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun Yeah, thatís true. Although I have seen this sort of banding in other games. Fallout 76 (I know, not exactly a game known for its ďqualityĒ) had the same sort of effect in the sky/around the sun. I managed to improve it by turning off HDR and moved on. But Iím seeing it in other games and honestly canít believe this is normal. Ideally somebody with a Series S and RE2 to confirm would be great. Appreciate the help though!
  • Fourwisemen 9 Jan 2021 12:29:37 1,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Rogueywon

This made me laugh more than it had any right to. Good luck fella.. 🤞

Rogueywon wrote:
    I think I managed to snag an order from a US model from Walmart, using complex forwarding arrangements to get around the fact they don't ship internationally. So far, my package seems to have moved slowly across Texas. The tracking seems to get updated every time the driver stops for a piss. Eventually, it should get to California, then get Fedexed to me.

I'm getting cat litter, aren't I?
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:33:49 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Ahh okay, I guess Iím calling it banding because I canít think of any other way to describe it!

This is a picture of Fallout 76 on my Series S. Is this colour banding? Or similar to what Iím seeing in RE2?

https://i.imgur.com/z5cYaOG.jpg

May have had HDR on for the picture above. But itís definitely off now (pretty mediocre on my monitor).
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Jan 2021 12:33:57 10,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @etccccc After a bit of digging I see that your monitor has an 8-bit display, meaning it can't display HDR10 content and therefore I would say some banding is to be expected, especially on newer games that are pushing HDR - even though I'm not sure your picture is an example of it. Maybe turn HDR off on the Xbox as well as the display.

Edit: your Fallout picture is a perfect example.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 12:35:08 09-01-2021
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2021 12:39:29 11,529 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @etccccc try taking an actual screenshot of the game, and open it on another device.

If you can see the issue even on a screenshot, that means it's a rendering problem. If not, it's your TV.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:40:17 09-01-2021
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:41:51 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh I knew HDR wasnít going to be great. But Iíve actually had it turned off on the Xbox and the monitor since playing FO76 for this reason.

Iíve tried RE2 on this monitor, an old 1080p monitor with no HDR functionality, and a 4K QLED... same issue each time. So I think Iím down to either this is how RE2 looks played on Series S, or thereís something up with the console? Argh. Appreciate the help 👍
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Jan 2021 12:44:36 10,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @etccccc If you're seeing it on a 4K QLED be aware that you need to then enable HDR on the HDMI port on the TV and also the Xbox. If it's a good QLED (they are not all created equal) you will go "Holy shit, I need a new monitor".

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 12:44:54 09-01-2021
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:49:03 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 I knew you guys would be helpful. I had done this already but hereís a screenshot taken via the Xbox share button. Itís compressed but still visibly see these bands.

https://i.imgur.com/nym4aN3.jpg

So you would say this is an Xbox issue? Iíve reinstalled the game once already.

Imgur compressed it even further so itís hardly visible, but yes, itís visible in the screenshot on my phone.

Edited by etccccc at 12:54:01 09-01-2021
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 12:52:06 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh For the sake of consistency I left HDR off at the Xbox level on all my tests... however, Iíve avoided hooking it up to the QLED for that very reason! Itís the living room TV I hardly ever get to use so figured a decent 1080p monitor and a Series S I can use whenever I want vs the QLED and PS5 I would barely get to use was the sensible decision!
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2021 12:54:15 11,529 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If it's visible on a screenshot, then yes, it's likely not your TV.

Keep in mind on the Series S you can only play the base Xbox One version of a backward compatible game. And that being a late gen game, it's likely that they used a lot of tricks to shave the rendering budget.

I do have an S as well. Could give the demo a try, but there's a chance my free 30 minutes are almost out. I'll get back to you.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:55:07 09-01-2021
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 13:01:07 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 That would be awesome, really kind of you!

Yes I considered that and have been on YouTube looking for playthroughs but find it hard to find RE2 on Series S or One S. It seems to mainly be a problem in the Main Hall area, the rest of the game is so dark itís not noticeable/present. The image is very soft overall so suspect itís not natively running at 1080p though.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 9 Jan 2021 13:02:49 10,092 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hang on, if HDR is off on the Xbox then it will save a non HDR screenshot and you will see banding. If HDR is on on the Xbox and you take a screenshot then view that screenshot on a non-HDR display, as most of us will be, then you will still see the banding. Right?
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2021 13:10:06 11,529 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think screenshots are saved on non-HDR even if you are playing in HDR. Not sure though.

Anyay, just tried the demo (don't see the time limit anymore, maybe they removed it? nice). Looks exactly the same as yours. Volumetric lights are super heavy, so it's not surprise that they would be rendered at half resolution or whatever.

By the way, it sure runs smooth. Even smoother than my PC, despite being 60fps on both. Whatever motion blur they are using, it helps.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:16:33 09-01-2021
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 13:24:35 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86 Oh fantastic, thank you! Saved me potentially a lot of hassle. I was close to logging a return/repair. Shame it doesnít look better but at least itís not a problem on my end. And like you say... it is super smooth to play.

Thanks again all 👍
  • etccccc 9 Jan 2021 13:24:35 10 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mothercruncher 9 Jan 2021 13:53:55 18,715 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not all ports on a TV necessarily support HDR, mentioning just in case.
  • spookyxelectric 9 Jan 2021 16:25:18 332 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think that depends on the TV, doesn't it? My Sony, as an example, limits HDR to ports 2 and 3, but I believe Samsungs and LGs support it on all four ports? At least the higher end ones do.
  • Rogueywon 9 Jan 2021 16:31:28 10,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Fourwisemen The console I ordered has finally inched its way into California. Should I be worried that the driver seems to have stopped at a PetSmart?

(Joking about the last part. Though it is in California now, apparently having gone overland from Texas).
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2021 16:43:16 11,529 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    etccccc wrote:
    The image is very soft overall so suspect itís not natively running at 1080p though.
    It is running at 1080p (probably reconstruction), but RE Engine games always seem lower res than they actually are. Perhaps it's due to how the engine handles particles and bloom, which make everything look terrible unless you are using copious amounts of temporal AA and other image-softening tricks.
  • Wayne 12 Jan 2021 11:42:57 2,316 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So a friend gave me a shout last night and said he was about to play some Halo Master Chief Collection. Three of us ended up hammering through some Halo 3 missions in three player co-op online just for fun.
    And quite frankly, I was staggered at how badly Halo 3 runs on the Series X. I had regular frame rate issues, and at one point after destroying a phantom, the frame rate dropped into what mustíve been single figures.

Anyone else experienced this?
  • richardiox 12 Jan 2021 11:54:26 9,362 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Wayne

It's been totally locked 60fps for me but I've been playing single player. Maybe it's something to do with coop, but don't understand why as it's not like it's rendering anything extra.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.